or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Nokia launches anti-iPhone campaign amid controversy
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Nokia launches anti-iPhone campaign amid controversy - Page 2

post #41 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBG4 Dude View Post

In paragraph 4, wrecked should be wreaked.


you know that's not a word? the one you're replacing it with?

look here! hl=en&safe=off&client=safari&rls=en&q=define%3A+wr eaked&btnG=Search
post #42 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

The N95 just got a pretty bad review in Consumers.

I dunno... over at PhoneScoop, they sure seem to love it:

http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/use...php?phone=1065


In any case, there's two N95s... the old one, and the new 8GB black model. The new one would hopefully improve some of whatever Consumer's didn't like about the old one.

However, the N95 isn't touchscreen, the VX10K is... and it's also 3G. I'd worry more about the latter phone than the former, at least in the US.

The N95 (both models) is 3G in Europe, though.

.
Cut-copy-paste, MMS, landscape keyboard, video-recording, voice-calling, and more... FINALLY
To the 'We Didn't Need It' Crowd/Apple Apologista Squad : Wrong again, lol
Thanks for listening to your...
Reply
Cut-copy-paste, MMS, landscape keyboard, video-recording, voice-calling, and more... FINALLY
To the 'We Didn't Need It' Crowd/Apple Apologista Squad : Wrong again, lol
Thanks for listening to your...
Reply
post #43 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taskiss View Post

Exactly.

If Apple were to allow 3rd party apps when the target is moving so rapidly at the moment, the hue and cry wouldn't be "Apple is a closed system!" it would be "Apple can't write OS's!", and that would call into question their ability as a provider. I can imagine all the phone crashes that Apple would get the blame for if it were 'open' at this time. As it is, I've only had one crash in the time I've had my system, and that was immediately after the last update.

At this point in the product lifecycle, stability > all.



Actually, this is pretty accurate. A week before Apple pushed out 1.1.1, I ran a full restore on my iPhone because I kept crashing due to third party apps. (I'm thinking it was Summerboard, but who knows.) I never bothered to reinstall the apps as a kind of test of stability. A week and no crashes later, Apple released their update. My phone runs better now.
post #44 of 142
From the Oxford dictionary:

wreak |r?k| verb [ trans. ]
cause (a large amount of damage or harm) : torrential rainstorms wreaked havoc yesterday | the environmental damage wreaked by ninety years of phosphate mining.
inflict (vengeance) : he was determined to wreak his revenge on the girl who had rejected him.

Just because Google couldn't find it doesn't mean it doesn't exist...
post #45 of 142
Ok, Nokia says "What it does is up to you" where Apple says kind of like "when it's from Apple we guarantee you a great user experience." The two approaches are so different so it's hard to even try to compare them.
At some point I hope Apple opens up the mobile OS X on all handsets where it's available.. We'll probably see this first on a handset that is not locked to an operator.. like a future PDA, or the iPod KING or whatever.
post #46 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontlookleft View Post

you know that's not a word? the one you're replacing it with?

look here! hl=en&safe=off&client=safari&rls=en&q=define%3A+wr eaked&btnG=Search

saw someone else found the present tense...
this site also provides you with optional suffixes, including -ed.


http://www.thefreedictionary.com/wreaked
post #47 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontlookleft View Post

you know that's not a word? the one you're replacing it with?

look here! hl=en&safe=off&client=safari&rls=en&q=define%3A+wr eaked&btnG=Search

The word is actually "wreak". No "ed" at the end.
post #48 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonessodarally View Post

saw someone else found the present tense...
this site also provides you with optional suffixes, including -ed.


http://www.thefreedictionary.com/wreaked

Wreaked is not considered to be correct useage though.

The proper use is "to wreak".

Similar to "fun". "so fun" as we see today is also incorrect, though now I'm seeing that in some online dictionaries.
post #49 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by antr0 View Post

At least the iPhone will do 98% of what it says it will.

But still only 30% of what a Nokia does before you even add 3rd party software.
post #50 of 142
http://forums.thestranger.com/archiv...php/t-986.html

The reason 'wreaked' sounds okay to say is because the word 'reeked' is indeed a real word and sounds identical.

The past tense of wreak is actually wrought, although spell check seems to be okay with 'wreaked' as well. Go figure.
Sent from my iPhone
Reply
Sent from my iPhone
Reply
post #51 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBaggins View Post

I dunno... over at PhoneScoop, they sure seem to love it:

http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/use...php?phone=1065


In any case, there's two N95s... the old one, and the new 8GB black model. The new one would hopefully improve some of whatever Consumer's didn't like about the old one.

However, the N95 isn't touchscreen, the VX10K is... and it's also 3G. I'd worry more about the latter phone than the former, at least in the US.

The N95 8GB is 3G in Europe, though.

.

Nokia don't really do touch screens although they've shown iPhone like prototypes now. For touch screens you buy Sony Ericsson UIQ phones. Same OS underneath as the Nokias but with a better UI and touch screen.

Both Nokia's S60 and SE's UIQ suffer from a UI that seems to have evolved over time in many bad ways as well as good ones. And recently with Symbian OS 9.0 under them, they've been buggy as hell and gradually leak RAM. Unless the phones have a considerable amount of main RAM built in they have a tendency to restart themselves to gain it back. It's getting better but IME Symbian OS 7.0 was better as that used 'Execute in place' and ran with a lot less RAM.

I used an iPod Touch last week in the Apple Store in Manchester. I wasn't impressed as much as I hoped to be although it's even more feature light than the iPhone. Now this. Looks like I'm sticking with my old SE P910i for a third year although I might give the P1i a look. Sorry Apple, This sucks.
post #52 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I didn't say that there isn't good development for the Mac. I said that if Jobs had his druthers, he wouldn't allow it. Obviously he knows he has no choice.

He has no choice with the iPhone either. He just hasn't worked that out yet.
post #53 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I've considered ALL of the facts, including Job's history from way back in the early '80's.

I didn't say that there isn't good development for the Mac. I said that if Jobs had his druthers, he wouldn't allow it. Obviously he knows he has no choice.

You apparently just refuse to consider that when Jobs makes tools and info available for free to the folks to use to develop on the OS X platform it means he supports it.

It's a long haul from not having a choice in a matter of 3rd party developers to helping them with free info and tools. Apple took that trip under the direction of Jobs, and from what I hear of the man, if he didn't want to take that trip, it wouldn't have been made.
post #54 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by aegisdesign View Post

Nokia don't really do touch screens


Yah, but obviously they'll start, prolly sometime in '08. Can't let the iPhone go unchecked.


.
Cut-copy-paste, MMS, landscape keyboard, video-recording, voice-calling, and more... FINALLY
To the 'We Didn't Need It' Crowd/Apple Apologista Squad : Wrong again, lol
Thanks for listening to your...
Reply
Cut-copy-paste, MMS, landscape keyboard, video-recording, voice-calling, and more... FINALLY
To the 'We Didn't Need It' Crowd/Apple Apologista Squad : Wrong again, lol
Thanks for listening to your...
Reply
post #55 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecking View Post

Yeah! I immediately thought "what a slutty phone," when I read that!

I think the problem most people have is that the iPhone's legs are firmly shut! (And those who have raped them don't want to be held accountable)

I'm not going for a second hand iPhone, it's only been out a few months & there's too much emotional baggage.

McD
Why does somebody ask me a question, I can never understand, I can never provide the answer, but believe I can.
Reply
Why does somebody ask me a question, I can never understand, I can never provide the answer, but believe I can.
Reply
post #56 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doxxic View Post

Am I the only one who automatically fills in "viruses", "contagious", "slut", etc etc when reading "open to anything"?

I read "We can't write our own software - let's hope someone else can!"

OK, yours is funnier!

McD
Why does somebody ask me a question, I can never understand, I can never provide the answer, but believe I can.
Reply
Why does somebody ask me a question, I can never understand, I can never provide the answer, but believe I can.
Reply
post #57 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

On one hand, Nokia allows third party software, on the other hand, it's still Nokia.

precisely! i just got a new nokia (6120) after several years of swearing 'never again', simply as a stop-gap 3G solution to tide me over till the iPhone comes to antipodean shores. it has a lot of 'nifty' features but is very clunky in terms of usability, especially after the simplicity of my old NEC i-mode phone.
"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
Reply
"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
Reply
post #58 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

iPhone doesn't do everything that other phones do but there is no other phone that does everything that iPhone does either. If iPhone doesn't do something you need, don't buy it, or go complain to Nokia that their phone doesn't run iTunes, etc.

Say that first sentence several times very quickly! - It's like Bilbo Baggins' exit speech in Fellowship of the Ring! You're an evil person!
Why does somebody ask me a question, I can never understand, I can never provide the answer, but believe I can.
Reply
Why does somebody ask me a question, I can never understand, I can never provide the answer, but believe I can.
Reply
post #59 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

The N95 just got a pretty bad review in Consumers.

and i believe popular mechanics or popular science....n95 bad, they rated the blackjack and treo 2nd and 3rd to iphone.
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
Reply
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
Reply
post #60 of 142
All I can say is that I hope these suits go through and Apple gets hammered good. Apple has simply operated outside the boundaries of fairness and respectable behavior, with its brick a matic update program.


It is unfortunate that there is not viable competition for the iPhone at the moment. I suspect that that is one reason why people are not even more upset with this move.

Dave
post #61 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

On one hand, Nokia allows third party software, on the other hand, it's still Nokia.

Brave words but you know a Symbian-fan frequents these boards. Probably spell-checking a vast response with hyperlinked references as I post.

McD
Why does somebody ask me a question, I can never understand, I can never provide the answer, but believe I can.
Reply
Why does somebody ask me a question, I can never understand, I can never provide the answer, but believe I can.
Reply
post #62 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by SurfRat View Post

http://forums.thestranger.com/archiv...php/t-986.html

The reason 'wreaked' sounds okay to say is because the word 'reeked' is indeed a real word and sounds identical.

The past tense of wreak is actually wrought, although spell check seems to be okay with 'wreaked' as well. Go figure.

Uhhhh... did you read the link you posted? That page features explanations of why wreaked is correct after someone (incorrectly) claims it's wrong.

"Wrought" is incorrect as a past tense of "wreak." "Wreaked" is correct.
post #63 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

Apple can't officially support 3rd-party apps this soon, even if they wanted to. (It's nothing to do with a "closed attitude.") The OS is young and changing and apps are going to break unless Apple refuses to evolve their platform. But some time--maybe in 3 months? 6?--the platform will be stabilized and Apple can start to offer official developer tools. Let's hope they do so.

Officially support? Maybe they can't do it quite yet. Officially allow? Of course. They'd just need to open up some interfaces and provide a way to load your software on the phone (simplest option would be to just allow full access to the phone memory). If the interfaces were crappy, not guaranteed to stay stable, etc., certainly many people would not hurry to develop for the thing, but at the same time many could start working.

Even with something as inconsequential as World of Warcraft, there is massive scripting and add-on work done and used by hobbyists despite that the scripting interfaces have undergone some major changes, there is no guarantee of them staying stable, etc.

Provide a restore functionality that really takes the whole phone back to bit-identical original state, and it's safe to tinker.
post #64 of 142
Don't forget the Nokia N700 and N800 Internet tablets, open Linux-based.
post #65 of 142
You can say wreaked. As in "Apple wreaked havoc on iPhone developers by destroying their platform."

http://onlinedictionary.datasegment.com/word/wreaked
post #66 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

All I can say is that I hope these suits go through and Apple gets hammered good. Apple has simply operated outside the boundaries of fairness and respectable behavior, with its brick a matic update program.

sorry, that made me literally laugh out loud.
"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
Reply
"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
Reply
post #67 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by aegisdesign View Post

He has no choice with the iPhone either. He just hasn't worked that out yet.

We hope that's true.
post #68 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taskiss View Post

You apparently just refuse to consider that when Jobs makes tools and info available for free to the folks to use to develop on the OS X platform it means he supports it.

It's a long haul from not having a choice in a matter of 3rd party developers to helping them with free info and tools. Apple took that trip under the direction of Jobs, and from what I hear of the man, if he didn't want to take that trip, it wouldn't have been made.

You seem to think that just because he understands that a computer needs programs, he's happy about it.

You're mistaking need with desire.
post #69 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by YakkoW View Post

Uhhhh... did you read the link you posted? That page features explanations of why wreaked is correct after someone (incorrectly) claims it's wrong.

"Wrought" is incorrect as a past tense of "wreak." "Wreaked" is correct.

Wreaked is considered to be wrong.
post #70 of 142
Anybody know if there will be an i-Phone for X-Mas with > 8Gb memory?
post #71 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Wreaked is considered to be wrong.

I keep seeing this (and none of my copy editors are up this late to ask): "The past tense and past participle of wreak is wreaked, not wrought, which is an alternative past tense and past participle of work."

So why is "wreaked" considered wrong?

Just curious. Personally, I'd find a better word myself, or a better phrase than "wreaked" and/or "wrought" havoc -- very cliche.
"I used to be disgusted, but now I try to be amused."
Macbook Pro 2.2
Reply
"I used to be disgusted, but now I try to be amused."
Macbook Pro 2.2
Reply
post #72 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by macinthe408 View Post

I'll be taking a nap. Wake me up when Leopard and the iPhone SDK that accompanies it is released.

Bunch of whiners...


lol! The greasemonkeys that are used to having their way with ordinary Carnot engines are railing at the bleak prospects associated with prying the hood open and being confronted with a McLaren powertrain.

Schlepwrench McGuirk: "Can't wait to bolt this turbo onto this . . .uh . . . what's this thing in the way?! Here - hand me that hammer!"

Bean: "Whoa, whoa, whoa!!! That would be a Formula 1 factory spec blower."

Schlemiel: "See - that's the problem! McLaren tries to engineer everything on their Formula 1 cars and I'm just not going to buy one until they allow 3rd party parts or begin using third party parts!!"

(sigh)
post #73 of 142
Apple can do whatever they want with their product, just like any other company. It was well known that the iPhone did not officially support third-party applications. Apple wants the phone to be stable. Poorly written third-party apps can compromise that.

Just because you cannot install your own applications, doesn't give you the right to sue a company claiming they are being unfair. Boo-hoo. Just because you buy something, doesn't mean the product has to do what YOU demand it to do, even when it wasn't even designed for that purpose.

Honda and BMW make cars. The BMW offers more features than the Honda. You don't see people suing Honda demanding that their cars be outfitted just like a BMW. If you don't like what the iPhone offers, don't buy it. Find another phone that meets your needs.

Apple made it clear what the limitations were for the iPhone. You were not cheated, you were not ripped off. You knew what it could do, and what it could not do. Any lawsuit about this has no merit.
post #74 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Al View Post

Anybody know if there will be an i-Phone for X-Mas with > 8Gb memory?

Yeah, we all know, but we promised Steve that we wouldn't tell.
post #75 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzaslove View Post

I keep seeing this (and none of my copy editors are up this late to ask): "The past tense and past participle of wreak is wreaked, not wrought, which is an alternative past tense and past participle of work."

So why is "wreaked" considered wrong?

Just curious. Personally, I'd find a better word myself, or a better phrase than "wreaked" and/or "wrought" havoc -- very cliche.

It isn't wrong. It's just, as the lexicographers like to say, "fallen out of favor".
post #76 of 142
Apple's firmware update could have easily detected hacked and unlocked iPhones before installation and said, "Sorry, you have violated your warranty. No more updates for you. Have a nice day." That would have been the civilized way to handle this. Instead Apple decided to "teach their users a lesson" and destroy their iPhones. That's just disgusting to me, and I have an iPhone and I love Apple computers, so this is a real shame.

The iPhone really is just a hand-held finger computer. All you people who are defending Apple's malicious actions would be pissed as hell if they disabled your Mac because you installed some software on it that Apple Corporate didn't like.
post #77 of 142
I think Jobs has been secretly replaced by Gordon Geko, because Apple of late seems to be operating strictly under the 'greed is good' philosophy.

No longer is it about giving the consumers the best possible devices with the concomitant best possible user experience. Now it is configure everything in such a way as to extract as much money as possible from the consumer and business partners.

Our profit comes before your user experience.
post #78 of 142
My guess is Apple will allow third party apps, especially when you have At&T saying they are fine and ask Apple why the iPhone doesn't have them. However, I do think you'll see a iPhone store and all the applications will need to be certified by Apple and the developers will have to pay for placement on the iPhone.
post #79 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taskiss View Post

Exactly.

If Apple were to allow 3rd party apps when the target is moving so rapidly at the moment, the hue and cry wouldn't be "Apple is a closed system!" it would be "Apple can't write OS's!", and that would call into question their ability as a provider. I can imagine all the phone crashes that Apple would get the blame for if it were 'open' at this time. As it is, I've only had one crash in the time I've had my system, and that was immediately after the last update.

At this point in the product lifecycle, stability > all.

I think there is a lot in what you say. And those unlocking their phones are clearly going on a serious excursion from the clearly laid out agreement to go with AT&T. However, Apple have hinted that third-party development is not necessarily a bad thing. Moreover, Apple must be reasonable and proportionate and should continue to aspire to be at the top of customer care and service. Thus Apple (allegedly) telling people to buy another iPhone because they had the temerity to install some other piece of functionality on their iPhone is too harsh. Apple should offer a 'factory state' reversion service for say $10 at their Apple Stores. Then everyone is happy and people will have had the conditions of sale made clear, they will not have lost the entire value of their iPhone and Apple will not be out of pocket!
post #80 of 142
imho:

Wreaked is not correct. Wrought is not correct. Wroke is correct.

http://www.lexic.us/definition-of/Wroke

i.e. it should have read:
"the update wroke havoc upon a number unmodified iPhones"

but who cares ? and why ? it's a small article on a web-site for goodness sake.

As for the iphone - i'll buy one when my existing phone dies or if they bring out a flash player for it - whichever is the sooner.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Nokia launches anti-iPhone campaign amid controversy