or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › 'iPhone Extreme' reference spotted in Apple.com HTML code

'iPhone Extreme' reference spotted in Apple.com HTML code

post #1 of 46
This one's a stretch, but a one-off mention of a product dubbed "iPhone Extreme" in the HTML code of one of Apple Inc.'s iPhone web pages has raised some eyebrows.

Credit for this find goes out to Tom over at the iPhoneBugList, who stumbled upon the reference while attempting to interface his own site with Apple's iPhone feedback form (which is where the reference was spotted).

Nestled within the HTML code for the feedback form is a hidden variable called "product" which contain the value "iPhone Extreme." Unfortunately, that's the extent of the rumor.

Obviously, speculation is that "iPhone Extreme" could represent some new product down the line, a new name for the current iPhone if a cheaper and less capable version is released, or simply nothing at all.

On the other hand, this hidden variable with its associated value of "iPhone Extreme" is currently being submitted to Apple's feedback script each and every time a user fills out the form.

So either Apple is not yet checking for the variable upon submission, or the company is well aware of the naming convention and has implemented it in such a way for a specific reason. It will be interesting to see if the code changes in the coming hours.

Update: The "iPhone Extreme" reference was simply a sloppy copy-and-paste job on the part of an Apple webmaster who apparently used the company's existing AirPort Extreme feedback form in creating one for the iPhone.
post #2 of 46
Bring it on baby! The reason for the price drop is so Apple can bump it back up $200 when this "iPhone Extreme" is unleashed.
post #3 of 46
I refuse to follow any of this crap, lunch time.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #4 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I refuse to follow any of this crap, lunch time.

Then why the hell did you post garbage and waste our time -- those of us who DO follow this crap?
post #5 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepkid View Post

Then why the hell did you post garbage and waste our time -- those of us who DO follow this crap?

That would be called crap supplemented with more crap. But I'm sure one would make a distinction between what types of crap we're talking about.
post #6 of 46
Sweet, now that this news has broke, I can be the first to say "Posted from my iPhone Extreme"
I never get tired of being right all the time... but I do get tired of having to prove it to you again and again.
I never get tired of being right all the time... but I do get tired of having to prove it to you again and again.
post #7 of 46
Could just be a web developer having a little fun. The product value is necessary to direct it the location for whatever processing Apple does with the feedback, so instead of just putting in "iPhone" the developer thought it was more interesting to name it the "iPhone Extreme" because, you know, the iPhone rocks to the Extreme!

Or maybe they just wanted something longer than iPhone so it wouldn't be so close to iPod.
post #8 of 46
Rather unusual name for Apple. Perhaps a "gaming" iPhone?
post #9 of 46
Wowwwww, it's EXTREEEEEEEEME. It'll make me want to surf naked with my hair on fire!!!

Seriously, I hate names like that. So played out. \

Cut-copy-paste, MMS, landscape keyboard, video-recording, voice-calling, and more... FINALLY
To the 'We Didn't Need It' Crowd/Apple Apologista Squad : Wrong again, lol
Thanks for listening to your...
Cut-copy-paste, MMS, landscape keyboard, video-recording, voice-calling, and more... FINALLY
post #10 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBaggins View Post

Wowwwww, it's EXTREEEEEEEEME.

Harold and Kumar go to White Castle reference? Anyone?
post #11 of 46
I hope they have a better name than that.
post #12 of 46
Look at http://www.apple.com/feedback/ . Airport Extreme is the first product (on that page). I'd say they took the Airport-feedback-page as a template and forgot to change that variable.

(Why do I have time to think about such things...)
post #13 of 46
to me it sounds more like an 3G iphone... airport extreme is/was faster 802.11g/n....
vista = virus inside switch to apple
post #14 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeonit View Post

to me it sounds more like an 3G iphone... airport extreme is/was faster 802.11g/n....

? I didn't talk about the product but the page... did you read the original post?
post #15 of 46
This was a pretty awesome find Tom. Even if it turns out to be nothing, i'm impressed. Even better I'm watching war games and the NORAD computer has 9 of the 10 launch codes and is about to blow a gasket over losing a simple game of tic-tac-toe. i'm not sure what that has to do with HTML in the apple website, but if you find the code, "joshua" please alert a dr. stephan falken before contacting an apple chat board.

post #16 of 46
i did read the whole article, but how did i misinterpret it?

ithought the discovery was about guessing what iphone might be meant by "iphone extreme"??? no????
post #17 of 46
Could this be a link to AirportExtreme that would allow you to play tunes from your iphone to a stereo? iPhone would make a great remote unit.
post #18 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Like, iPhoneFree - No Contracts, No Exclusive Carriers, No Single Network, No Locked Phone, No Hacking, No Releasing without an SDK, No Releasing without Bountiful 3rd Party Apps, & No Firmware Updates that looses 3rd party apps and bricks the phone.

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

post #19 of 46
Quote:

Like, iPhoneFree - No Full Cost Phone (subsidized for free), No Contracts, No Exclusive Carriers, No Single Network, No Locked Phone, No Hacking, No Releasing without an SDK, No Releasing without Bountiful 3rd Party Apps, & No Firmware Updates that looses 3rd party apps and bricks the phone.

post #20 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeonit View Post

i did read the whole article, but how did i misinterpret it?

ithought the discovery was about guessing what iphone might be meant by "iphone extreme"??? no????

I thought your comment was an answer to my comment... sorry
post #21 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

On the other hand, this hidden variable with its associated value of "iPhone Extreme" is currently being submitted to Apple's feedback script each and every time a user fills out the form.

So either Apple is not yet checking for the variable upon submission, or the company is well aware of the naming convention and has implemented it in such a way for a specific reason. It will be interesting to see if the code changes in the coming hours.

I think the fact that the string is being sent back with every request suggests that the current iPhone is what Apple is referring to internally as the iPhone Extreme and that sometime in the not too distant future they might release some form of iPhone Nano. This would be a cheaper/less capable phone that would be aimed more at the masses than the current iPhone users. This is how I believe that Apple plans to sell 10 million iPhones next year.
post #22 of 46
Most of the time these code finds are real. I think this one is real, too. The naming convention makes sense (think Airport Extreme). I think this one is coming for real - possibly by Christmas.
post #23 of 46
The iPhone is the iPhone is the iPhone. There's no iPhone extreme coming out. There may very well be an iPhone nano coming out, but iPhone extreme, give me a break. When the iPhone gets a 3G chip it will still be called iPhone. End of discussion. What discussion? Yeah, what discussion.
post #24 of 46
Quote:

Wowwwww, it's EXTREEEEEEEEME. It'll make me want to surf naked with my hair on fire!!!

Seriously, I hate names like that. So played out. \

As much as I hate to say it I don't really like the nae either, I don't really think it's true though. BTW, the comment above was hilarious, that's my quote of the day.
post #25 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunkDifferent.com View Post

This was a pretty awesome find Tom. Even if it turns out to be nothing, i'm impressed. Even better I'm watching war games and the NORAD computer has 9 of the 10 launch codes and is about to blow a gasket over losing a simple game of tic-tac-toe. i'm not sure what that has to do with HTML in the apple website, but if you find the code, "joshua" please alert a dr. stephan falken before contacting an apple chat board.

Hihihihi...
post #26 of 46
Quote:

iPhone Fabulous.

And they need to add a Booty Call button to the home page.

GTSC
post #27 of 46
Have a look at the source for http://www.apple.com/feedback/airportextreme.html where you see the code is almost identical bar the product name. All these feedback pages will be generated dynamically from a standard template page with URL redirectionto make it look like they are separate HTML pages to make them search engine friendly. All feedback pages will use the same script to send the input data back to the right place, so they need the hidden variable to identify whether the feedback came from the iPhone feedback form or the form for airport, .mac, macbook etc.

In fact then this will be a typo in the script that inserts the product name into the HTML code which they probably copied and pasted from the line that inserted "Airport Extreme" into the HTML if you had "airportextreme" in the URL and a negligent coder accidently missed deleting the Exteme and because it is in a hidden variable rather than visible on the page, the mistake did not get picked up prior to publication.

I am sorry to dash all your hopes, but the other feedback pages all have the same product name in the hidden variable as shows on the page. They would not have a feedback form for all iPhones and then put a specific model in the hidden variable, let alone one for an unannounced product.
post #28 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Credit for this find goes out to Tom over at the iPhoneBugList, who stumbled upon the reference while attempting to interface his own site with Apple's iPhone feedback form (which is where the reference was spotted).

Tom really needs to get either a job, girlfriend, hobby or a dog (or any combination hereof)

I mean do some people rummage through the trash in Cuppertino as well (uh they had loads of espresso must be busy) or the private trash of the employees to get rumors ?

What I really want is an iPhone where I can install 3rd party software (never mind the SIM lock - cant have the cake AND eat it)
post #29 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by CREB View Post

The only other product Apple has used "Extreme" with is the Airport Extreme... right?

So is there some other Wi-Fi component that has been missing from the iPhone? VOIP you say?

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #30 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalf the Semi-Coherent View Post

iPhone Fabulous.

And they need to add a Booty Call button to the home page.

GTSC

Hello! I'm 39,900 pennies of FABULOUS!

But I'll go along with the idea that it's just a template that was copied and not fully corrected.
post #31 of 46
When SJ introduced the iPhone he said it was a new product line, like the iPod is its own product line. With that in mind, there have been many varieties of the iPod over time and it stands to reason that the same will be seen with the iPhone line. That's not to say that this hidden tag has any relevance whatsoever.

Just keep in mind that like the iPod, more iPhones are sure to come.
post #32 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by freelander51 View Post

Tom really needs to get either a job, girlfriend, hobby or a dog (or any combination hereof).

Hate the game, not the player.

post #33 of 46
I will be care-less for an iPhone nano. Meanwhile, since Steve said something like lowering the price for the 'holiday season', I believe that there will be something coming up during MWSF regarding to the iPhone.
post #34 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by amerist View Post

When SJ introduced the iPhone he said it was a new product line, like the iPod is its own product line. With that in mind, there have been many varieties of the iPod over time and it stands to reason that the same will be seen with the iPhone line. That's not to say that this hidden tag has any relevance whatsoever.

Just keep in mind that like the iPod, more iPhones are sure to come.

Apple should probably wait until next year to intro more models... there's a big bowl of hate going around right now what with the idiot amateur hacker bricks making the 10 o'clock news.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #35 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth View Post

I will be care-less for an iPhone nano. Meanwhile, since Steve said something like lowering the price for the 'holiday season', I believe that there will be something coming up during MWSF regarding to the iPhone.

That's because the holiday buying season is when Apple gets its best iPod sales volumes. Apple sold almost twice as many iPods in the last holiday season as they did in the following quarters. It's just too good of an opportunity to pass up
post #36 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by CREB View Post

Airport Extreme followed Airport when moving from 802.11b to 802.11g logic follows that the iPhone Extreme will be 3G.
post #37 of 46
and i know where the careless edit was done... in india...
post #38 of 46
Good thing this was a mistake iPhone Extreme would be the worst name for the iPhone's sequel. At best it could refer to a 3G model with 16gb flash mem, but even then it's still a terrible name.
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleinsider vBulletin Message

You have been banned for the following reason:
Three personal attacks in one post. Congratulations.
Date the ban will be lifted:...
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleinsider vBulletin Message

You have been banned for the following reason:
Three personal attacks in one post. Congratulations.
Date the ban will be lifted:...
post #39 of 46
Dang.. and here I am registering the domain name iphoneextreme.com lol
post #40 of 46
Quote:

Hate the game, not the player.

I am a motor-sport fan...so I love the sport/racing/team but not necessarily the driver..

Fernando - I used to like you before you became a traitor....
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › 'iPhone Extreme' reference spotted in Apple.com HTML code