or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › iPhone won't sync movies?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

iPhone won't sync movies?

post #1 of 45
Thread Starter 
Okay, not only am I having issues with extremely short battery life, but now, my iPhone refuses to sync movies, even though they're checked.

Yes, I've made sure there's plenty of room on the iPhone. Yes, I've deselected and selected various movies and clicked "Apply." Yes, I've even restored the original settings on my iPhone.

No luck, whatsoever. This didn't happen prior to the update. However, one small movie will sync with no problem. All the others won't. That's even stranger.

Can anyone tell me what I'm missing here? Or did I find a new bug? Thanks!

GTSC
post #2 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalf the Semi-Coherent View Post

Okay, not only am I having issues with extremely short battery life, but now, my iPhone refuses to sync movies, even though they're checked.

Yes, I've made sure there's plenty of room on the iPhone. Yes, I've deselected and selected various movies and clicked "Apply." Yes, I've even restored the original settings on my iPhone.

No luck, whatsoever. This didn't happen prior to the update. However, one small movie will sync with no problem. All the others won't. That's even stranger.

Can anyone tell me what I'm missing here? Or did I find a new bug? Thanks!

GTSC

You didn't happen to accidently delete the movie file from your HD did you? I did that once while cleaning up some space. It would still show in iTunes.

Also! Click on the movie in iTunes and see if it will play. I'm willing to bet that it wants you to "Sign In" to the iTunes Music Store in order to "Authorize" playback on that device. That happened to me while making ringtones. They would be in iTunes, checked and ready to go but would not sync. I had to authorize the file first by trying to play it on the computer and then it would sync without a problem.

Try that and let me know what you come up with.
Reply
Reply
post #3 of 45
My movies have never synced properly. It seems to arbitrarily choose some to sync and some to ignore (ie it's not just tv shows or movies). I suppose I'll have to call support...
post #4 of 45
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by gravelpup View Post

My movies have never synced properly. It seems to arbitrarily choose some to sync and some to ignore (ie it's not just tv shows or movies). I suppose I'll have to call support...

Yes, it seems very random.

I did discover one workaround, but it takes a long time.

Now, remember... before the recent firmware update, all my imported video files (all MP4s) synced perfectly with my iPhone. I just selected which one I wanted from the Movies list. Now, they won't sync at all... unless I use the "Convert to iPod" function. It then creates a new M4V file that the the iPhone will recognize. However, it already takes several hours for me to convert each AVI file to an MP4 that iTunes will recognize, only to have to go through one more conversion process for the iPhone to sync what it used to sync before with no problem.

I think the update broke something.

GTSC
post #5 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by gravelpup View Post

My movies have never synced properly. It seems to arbitrarily choose some to sync and some to ignore (ie it's not just tv shows or movies). I suppose I'll have to call support...

Update: if you ctrl-click on the video in iTunes and select "Convert Selection for iPod", iTunes will convert the file to a .m4v and make it compatible with the iPhone. Seems like they should notify you when you try to sync an incompatible video, or just gray out the incompatible ones in the list of movies to sync.
post #6 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by gravelpup View Post

Update: if you ctrl-click on the video in iTunes and select "Convert Selection for iPod", iTunes will convert the file to a .m4v and make it compatible with the iPhone. Seems like they should notify you when you try to sync an incompatible video, or just gray out the incompatible ones in the list of movies to sync.

Whoops, you beat me to it
post #7 of 45
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by gravelpup View Post

Update: if you ctrl-click on the video in iTunes and select "Convert Selection for iPod", iTunes will convert the file to a .m4v and make it compatible with the iPhone. Seems like they should notify you when you try to sync an incompatible video, or just gray out the incompatible ones in the list of movies to sync.

I can't speak for anyone else, but the strange thing is... all my files were compatible and synced to the iPhone prior to the update. Now almost all of them won't.

Yet, there are a handful of MP4s that still will. So there's no rhyme or reason to it.

GTSC
post #8 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalf the Semi-Coherent View Post

Okay, not only am I having issues with extremely short battery life, but now, my iPhone refuses to sync movies, even though they're checked.

Yes, I've made sure there's plenty of room on the iPhone. Yes, I've deselected and selected various movies and clicked "Apply." Yes, I've even restored the original settings on my iPhone.

No luck, whatsoever. This didn't happen prior to the update. However, one small movie will sync with no problem. All the others won't. That's even stranger.

Can anyone tell me what I'm missing here? Or did I find a new bug? Thanks!

GTSC


Copying Video Files to the iPhone:
By default in v2.0, the capability to drag and drop files directly to the iPhone is disabled. This capability was enabled by default prior to v2.0. In order to copy video to the iPhone, I had to select the check box for "Manually Manage Music and Videos" under the Summary tab in the iTunes sync settings. The option wasn't there until I upgraded iTunes (currently using v7.7.1.11) and I hadn't bothered to mess with it because I expected things to stay the way I had them set up. I am now able to manually drag and drop movies to the phone and they play fine. If I deselect the check box for "Manually Manage Music and Videos", all of the content I added manually will be automatically removed from the iPhone.

Although I can play video files, they are still not displayed under the Movies section under the Video tab in iTunes sync settings. This includes video files from podcasts and movie trailers downloaded from apple.com.

Push = Reduced Battery Life
The email "Push" and "Fetch" options also changed in v2.0. "Push" is enabled by default, which ignores the manually "Fetch" settings and reduces battery life because the phone is accessing the network every time new mail is received at the mail server. "Push" must be disabled first in order to activate the manual "Fetch" settings. This way, email is downloaded only when the operator checks for email manually.

More information is available in the iPhone User Guide
post #9 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by gravelpup View Post

Update: if you ctrl-click on the video in iTunes and select "Convert Selection for iPod", iTunes will convert the file to a .m4v and make it compatible with the iPhone. Seems like they should notify you when you try to sync an incompatible video, or just gray out the incompatible ones in the list of movies to sync.

Thank you guys for finding the answer. Just for reference: the way to do this in windows is to highlight the video files and go to Advanced>Create iPod or iPhone Version.
post #10 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmanak View Post

Thank you guys for finding the answer. Just for reference: the way to do this in windows is to highlight the video files and go to Advanced>Create iPod or iPhone Version.

Just wanted to say thanks to you Jmanak I also use windows and could not get movies downloaded.

Cheers
post #11 of 45
Hi, I'm reading all these great responses but I still can't get movies to sync. In iTunes under "Advanced" the "Create iPhone version" is grayed out. I can't seem to get this to change. Any ideas on how to do this?

My other iPhone, an old Edge phone has no issues sync'ing.

Thanks

QUOTE=cleanburn;1299626]Copying Video Files to the iPhone:
By default in v2.0, the capability to drag and drop files directly to the iPhone is disabled. This capability was enabled by default prior to v2.0. In order to copy video to the iPhone, I had to select the check box for "Manually Manage Music and Videos" under the Summary tab in the iTunes sync settings. The option wasn't there until I upgraded iTunes (currently using v7.7.1.11) and I hadn't bothered to mess with it because I expected things to stay the way I had them set up. I am now able to manually drag and drop movies to the phone and they play fine. If I deselect the check box for "Manually Manage Music and Videos", all of the content I added manually will be automatically removed from the iPhone.

Although I can play video files, they are still not displayed under the Movies section under the Video tab in iTunes sync settings. This includes video files from podcasts and movie trailers downloaded from apple.com.

Push = Reduced Battery Life
The email "Push" and "Fetch" options also changed in v2.0. "Push" is enabled by default, which ignores the manually "Fetch" settings and reduces battery life because the phone is accessing the network every time new mail is received at the mail server. "Push" must be disabled first in order to activate the manual "Fetch" settings. This way, email is downloaded only when the operator checks for email manually.

More information is available in the iPhone User Guide[/QUOTE]
post #12 of 45
Go to VIEW and change to "list". Ctrl-click in list view on the movie and "Create iPod Version" will no longer be grayed out. It worked for me last night.


Quote:
Originally Posted by wow533 View Post

Hi, I'm reading all these great responses but I still can't get movies to sync. In iTunes under "Advanced" the "Create iPhone version" is grayed out. I can't seem to get this to change. Any ideas on how to do this?

My other iPhone, an old Edge phone has no issues sync'ing.

Thanks

QUOTE=cleanburn;1299626]Copying Video Files to the iPhone:
By default in v2.0, the capability to drag and drop files directly to the iPhone is disabled. This capability was enabled by default prior to v2.0. In order to copy video to the iPhone, I had to select the check box for "Manually Manage Music and Videos" under the Summary tab in the iTunes sync settings. The option wasn't there until I upgraded iTunes (currently using v7.7.1.11) and I hadn't bothered to mess with it because I expected things to stay the way I had them set up. I am now able to manually drag and drop movies to the phone and they play fine. If I deselect the check box for "Manually Manage Music and Videos", all of the content I added manually will be automatically removed from the iPhone.

Although I can play video files, they are still not displayed under the Movies section under the Video tab in iTunes sync settings. This includes video files from podcasts and movie trailers downloaded from apple.com.

Push = Reduced Battery Life
The email "Push" and "Fetch" options also changed in v2.0. "Push" is enabled by default, which ignores the manually "Fetch" settings and reduces battery life because the phone is accessing the network every time new mail is received at the mail server. "Push" must be disabled first in order to activate the manual "Fetch" settings. This way, email is downloaded only when the operator checks for email manually.

More information is available in the iPhone User Guide

[/QUOTE]
post #13 of 45
Do the "ctrl-click" in "list" view and it will work.
post #14 of 45
hey guys i have a EDGE iphone and a 8.1.1.10 itunes.i converted my video file in to a mp4 and added to itunes.But it just won't sync it to my iphone.What should i do?
post #15 of 45
Just spoke to Apple, and they have fixed my sync movies issue. its really simple and something we should all do now and then to clear the sync history.

in Finder (on a mac) go to Applications then find iSync. Click on iSync next to the apple at the top menu bar and choose Preferences

Then click Clear Sync History.

You can then go back to itunes and sync your movies.

All sorted!

Tim
post #16 of 45
Even worst, I buy a movie directly from Itunes on my iphone 3g, it download fine, I start it to watch like 1min or so. later on I plug in my iphone and sync it guess what it delete the movie from my iphone and then it won't sync it back to the iphone ..... what kind of stupid programmers do they hire at apples!? come on this is totaly stupid, some people should get fired that kind of thing is unacceptable, finaly I found out that I had to run the movie on itunes on my computer to autorise it so i can sync it back to my iphone ....


THIS IS TOTALY STUPID, apple don't make me regret buying from you, I was thinking about buying some apple titles, but since they hire total incompetent at apple I changed my mind...... let me know when those idiot get fired.
post #17 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by timferris View Post

Just spoke to Apple, and they have fixed my sync movies issue. its really simple and something we should all do now and then to clear the sync history.

in Finder (on a mac) go to Applications then find iSync. Click on iSync next to the apple at the top menu bar and choose Preferences

Then click Clear Sync History.

You can then go back to itunes and sync your movies.

All sorted!

Tim

Not everybody is using a mac.... in fact theres not much people using a mac, so how do we do it on pc!?
post #18 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by b0utch View Post

Not everybody is using a mac.... in fact theres not much people using a mac, so how do we do it on pc!?

I use both a Mac and PC.
post #19 of 45
For those using Windows, you can go to the Edit then Preferences in iTunes. Click the Devices tab and at the bottom of the window is the "Reset Sync History". I guess this would work on Mac as well.
post #20 of 45
I found a way to get video's in my Camera Roll on the iPhone 3GS. my phone is NOT jailbreaked ! (but it would be same method if it would be )

First i installed the app on my mac called, Disk Aid
(make sure you have latest version so it works with OS 3.0.1 or later)

this app makes it possible to enter your iPhone trough USB.
(you can browse only Media Folder or Disk Aid Folder)

when it does, go to Media Folder>DCIM , the place all your Camera photo's and video's are stored.
now you only have to drag your photo's or video's to that place. Make sure you have them named the same as the other photo's in that map. example: IMG_0009.JPG for video: IMG_0034.MOV

for a video make sure you have them converted right!
(QuickTime Pro or other 3rd party software)

codecs: H.264, AAC
colorprofile: SD (6-1-6)

That's all, have fun!
post #21 of 45
3GS, latest software

iTunes running on Windows XP, SP3, most patches applied


iTunes recognizes and plays the movie but won't download it to the iPhone

There are many gigs of space available on the phone

i tried the suggestion of getting iTunes to forget sync history but this didn't help

am not doing manual syncing

Suggestions appreciated
post #22 of 45
I've recently bought a 3GS and could not sync all my movies. I followed the thread above, and the "Reset Sync History" did not work for me.

However, JJS's suggestion of looking at the movies as a list helped me solve my problem. Some of the movies did not have a tick in the check box. Not sure what this checkbox selects, but checking this AND the selecting the movies I wanted to sync in the Movies section of the Devices menu has sorted my issue. I can now select a subset of my iTunes installed movies for syncing.

BTW have so far ignored the option to cover to iPhone version, and the movies play fine.

Thanks.

Ian.
post #23 of 45
The Reason your films wont play is because they are the wrong aspect ratio you need to convert them to 480X320 theywill then play which is a complete pain in the a!!e because you will end up with two copiesof the movie in iTunes. I am really notsure what Apple were thinking of when they had this idea.
post #24 of 45
On my Itunes all it would let me select was either tv shows or purchased. So even though I had put my movies in both for some reason they would not show up. Finally I just created a new playlist and tagged it movies and checked the box to select it to sync and it finally transferred over. Hope this helps someone.
post #25 of 45
After moving movie and hitting "apply", iTunes pops up a window that says the movie "can't be transferred because it has already been transferred to another computer or device". I downloaded the movie on my computer 5 days ago but have not transferred it to my iTough or anywhere until now. Any suggestion why I am getting this and any advice on how to get around it?
post #26 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanburn View Post

Copying Video Files to the iPhone:
By default in v2.0, the capability to drag and drop files directly to the iPhone is disabled. This capability was enabled by default prior to v2.0. In order to copy video to the iPhone, I had to select the check box for "Manually Manage Music and Videos" under the Summary tab in the iTunes sync settings. The option wasn't there until I upgraded iTunes (currently using v7.7.1.11) and I hadn't bothered to mess with it because I expected things to stay the way I had them set up. I am now able to manually drag and drop movies to the phone and they play fine. If I deselect the check box for "Manually Manage Music and Videos", all of the content I added manually will be automatically removed from the iPhone.

Although I can play video files, they are still not displayed under the Movies section under the Video tab in iTunes sync settings. This includes video files from podcasts and movie trailers downloaded from apple.com.

Push = Reduced Battery Life
The email "Push" and "Fetch" options also changed in v2.0. "Push" is enabled by default, which ignores the manually "Fetch" settings and reduces battery life because the phone is accessing the network every time new mail is received at the mail server. "Push" must be disabled first in order to activate the manual "Fetch" settings. This way, email is downloaded only when the operator checks for email manually.

More information is available in the iPhone User Guide




Thanks clicking the "Manually Manage Music and Videos" box finally worked for me after trying everything else for an hour or two.
post #27 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by b0utch View Post

Not everybody is using a mac.... in fact theres not much people using a mac, so how do we do it on pc!?

Just do what all PC users do when they encounter a problem, just buy a new one.
post #28 of 45
I just struggled with the same problem here. Video seen by iTunes but will not sync to the iPhone. I finally became aware that iTunes was seeing the video in the photos and not as a movie. So simply clicking on Movies, then using the "Add to Library..." function I browsed to and selected the video, imported it and voila! We now have the video synced to the iPhone.

I didn't see this very simple solution on any of the other answers, and yet the problems described are almost exactly what we were experiencing. I'm sure someone must be having the same problem we are. I hope this is a help.

I must say I felt a little goofy when I saw it was that simple.
post #29 of 45
I was having the same problem! Thanks for the help!
post #30 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Just do what all future Mac fan boys do when they encounter a problem with a PC, buy a Mac.

Fixed.
post #31 of 45
just one word to say that have been wondering all around many web sites to try to find technical details on why my movies cant go to my iphone and you might be the best guys, forgive my emglish this is not my mother tong but could read and understand you, now am working on my iphone with your tips and hope it will work but once again MERCI !
post #32 of 45
sames problem but with newest itunes 10 go to advanced , in list view click on movie go to advanced and they offer "convert" to ipod
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
Reply
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
Reply
post #33 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOFEER View Post

sames problem but with newest itunes 10 go to advanced , in list view click on movie go to advanced and they offer "convert" to ipod

nvm. I figured it out.
post #34 of 45
OK, I've created a movie, and I'm trying to get it to play on my iPhone 3GS.

I've used the latest version of Compressor and its iPhone preset, iSkysoft Media Converter and its iPhone preset, QuickTime and its iPhone preset, and the latest version of iTunes (10.1.1) and its convert to iPhone preset to make a .m4V movie. All have been successful in creating a great looking, small file size .m4V movie.

I've dragged the file and "Add to Library" in iTunes where it's played perfectly. I've added each different file to the iPhone within iTunes, and just dragged from the Finder (I'm on a Mac using 10.6.6) to the iPhone in iTunes. The files all show up in the Movies tab under my iPhone in iTunes. They even play properly. However, when I look for it on my iPhone itself, there is nothing there.

I've tried clearing iSync's sync history and DiscAid to try and get my iPhone to recognize the file but nothing works. My "Photos" app on my iPhone only says "No Photos or Videos."

I'm about ready to stomp on my iPhone and throw my computer through the window. It's got to be user error, so what the heck am I doing wrong?
post #35 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by winstoncely View Post

My "Photos" app on my iPhone only says "No Photos or Videos."


what the heck am I doing wrong?

The videos will be shown by the iPod app, not the Photos app.
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
Reply
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
Reply
post #36 of 45
Besides movies I cany get it to Sync Photos that I took with my camera. Some do and some don't. anybody have any ideas?
Thanks for the help.
post #37 of 45
My movies were in the Iphone memory in Itunes, and even though they were checked, they didn't sync until I found this very simple fix.
FIRST, go to the MOVIES tab in Itunes (top left) and check the movies THERE.
THEN, check them AGAIN in the Iphone that appears in Itunes, and sync.
post #38 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALLIGRAPHICA View Post

My movies were in the Iphone memory in Itunes, and even though they were checked, they didn't sync until I found this very simple fix.
FIRST, go to the MOVIES tab in Itunes (top left) and check the movies THERE.
THEN, check them AGAIN in the Iphone that appears in Itunes, and sync.

This WORKS !!!

Thanks

(why does it have to be so difficult sometimes???)
post #39 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALLIGRAPHICA View Post

My movies were in the Iphone memory in Itunes, and even though they were checked, they didn't sync until I found this very simple fix.
FIRST, go to the MOVIES tab in Itunes (top left) and check the movies THERE.
THEN, check them AGAIN in the Iphone that appears in Itunes, and sync.

If anyone still got a problem, you may be using an iPhone 3GS, and your Movies may be published from iMovies 9. If so, my solution may apply to you as well because I am using iPhone 3GS and iMovies 9 on Mac OS X 10.6.7 Snow Leopard. Here's the point:

Form iMovies menu, choose Share > iTunes, then you will be given options for the Sizes to publish, based on where you will view your movies. Though I am using iPhone, it does not work if I do not choose iPod! (Because iPhone 3GS has the iPod app!) The maximum size converted to publish will be 640x480.

Now, it works for my iPhone 3GS.
post #40 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeRider View Post

I am using iPhone 3GS and iMovies 9 ... it does not work if I do not choose iPod! (Because iPhone 3GS has the iPod app!)

Thanks TimeRider, that solved the problem for me too. BTW, the double negative threw me for a bit there, just skimming the post (as you do); this might be easier to follow:

If you have a iPhone 3GS, use the medium option when you share the movie with iTunes from iMovie.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › iPhone won't sync movies?