or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › iTunes Organization Issues

iTunes Organization Issues

post #1 of 5
Okay, I imported a bunch of Mp3's from a CD-R. I drag-and-drop them into my iTunes Library. It proceeds to organize albums strangely, breaking up albums into sub-albums and such. I think to myself "I'll go into "Home", open up Music >iTunes>iTunes Music and manually move the errant files into their correct folders. Easy enough. Then I delete the extra folders iTunes created that I don't need. Piece of cake.
How come, when I open iTunes, the files are still in the wrong order, untitled and in folders I deleted? What gives? What can I do to fix my iTunes music library? Ugh, I just want to listen to a whole album like its supposed to be.
New Powerbook!!! 1.25 ghz of... something!
post #2 of 5
the songs were probably labeled improperly on the ID3 tags...

make sure all the name are correct in the iTunes window
if they are wrong, you can probably select a whole album and go to Advanced---> get CD track names
125/51041 (top .2449%)-Amie Street - awesome independent DRM-free music
People really have got to stop thinking there is only one operating system, one economic system, one religion, and one...
People really have got to stop thinking there is only one operating system, one economic system, one religion, and one...
post #3 of 5
Thanks. I'll give this a try. If thats the fix, its going to take me a long long time to fix...
post #4 of 5
its to a "fix"... it was never right in the first place

the reason the songs are moved around is because iTunes moves the songs in its library into folders organized by artist->album->track_song.mp3

you can turn this behavior off by going to the advanced button in iTunes preferences "keep iTunes music folder organized" (should be unchecked if you want it off)

If you are anal in the tagging of your MP3s as I am (or actually own the music so when you imported the music all the tags were correct to begin with), this is not a problem and in fact very helpful....
post #5 of 5
Or, if you ripped a compilation CD with a bunch of different artists, etc, you can select the tracks, edit the info and there's a little checkbox for 'Compilation'. Click that, and voila - they're all placed in a single album folder inside the Compilations folder at the artist level. This one bit me too. *THEN* you can go and delete the now empty folders (check them first, of course).
My brain is hung like a HORSE!
My brain is hung like a HORSE!
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac Software
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › iTunes Organization Issues