or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › When will we get Flash

When will we get Flash

post #1 of 7
I don't understand why we don't have a Flash Player on the iPhone yet!!! This is killing me. Everything else works, javascript etc, but still no Flash player. Does anyone know why this is? Do they have to have an agreement with Adobe or something? I thought 1.1.1 would include this. Anyone interested in Apples stock goto my site in the signature. My sponsors are good too. =)
post #2 of 7
Here's a simple explanation: Flash would run terribly on iPhone.

People keep forgetting two things: how small and slow iPhone CPU is, and what a hog Flash is. On my three-year-old PowerBook G4, most Flash run noticeably choppy. Yet iPhone is dozens and dozens of times slower than that at, say, JavaScript (a fairly comparable task).

Mobile devices aren't built for the sort of baroque content and programming that Flash invites. This is why Adobe created Flash Lite, their mini-Flash for mobile devices.

iPhone could probably run optimized Flash Lite apps. But these aren't embedded on web pages; that's not what the likes of YouTube and GameSpot run. They're meant to power the devices themselves, and Apple already has a platform for that.

I don't have much experience with web Flash on other mobile devices, but I'm pretty much certain that if you ran a reasonably complex Flash movie on iPhone it would make for a very frustrating experience.
post #3 of 7
Flash a "hog"????

What are you talking about??? Flash is probably one of the least hogish programs out there. It was the REASON flash became THE internet application. Even people who still use slow dial up can load flash pages easily and quickly.

There HAS to be another reason why flash isn't on the iphone or ipod touch yet.

Its annoying really....because SO much internet content uses flash.

But i did read Steve Jobs say that a future update could include flash functionality.....so there's still hope. :-)
post #4 of 7
See that YouTube button in the second row? How much do you think youtube paid apple for that? Do you think youtube would be happy if iphone users could just load up safari and watch flash videos at a competitor's site? That is why you won't see flash support anytime soon. Adobe already has a flash lite version developed specifically developed for the iphone, but my guess is it still won't be implemented until youtube feels they got they're monies worth.
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Flash is probably one of the least hogish programs out there.

Flash performance is decent on Windows and is terrible on OS X.
post #6 of 7
no its not! Flash works GREAT on my mac. What are u talkin bout Willis? :P
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by regan View Post

Flash a "hog"????

What are you talking about??? Flash is probably one of the least hogish programs out there. It was the REASON flash became THE internet application. Even people who still use slow dial up can load flash pages easily and quickly.

There HAS to be another reason why flash isn't on the iphone or ipod touch yet.

Its annoying really....because SO much internet content uses flash.

But i did read Steve Jobs say that a future update could include flash functionality.....so there's still hope. :-)

Its not a bandwidth hog, one reason for the adoption and running on dialup, but it is a CPU hog. Not a hog really but the iPhone CPU is likely not up to the task.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › When will we get Flash