or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Sources: Leopard finalized, 10.4.11 inching closer

Sources: Leopard finalized, 10.4.11 inching closer - Page 2

post #41 of 96
Amazon says:
Apple Mac OS X Version 10.5 Leopard by Apple
(DVD-ROM - Oct 31, 2007) (Mac OS X, Mac OS X Intel)
Buy new: $129.00
Available for Pre-order
Eligible for FREE Super Saver Shipping.
guest account
guest account
post #42 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkwho View Post

what happened to the top secret features?

-=|Mgkwho

Those are reserved for Lepard Server which will probably come out a month after the client version.
post #43 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by guest View Post

Amazon says:
Apple Mac OS X Version 10.5 Leopard by Apple
(DVD-ROM - Oct 31, 2007) (Mac OS X, Mac OS X Intel)
Buy new: $129.00
Available for Pre-order
Eligible for FREE Super Saver Shipping.

Amazon.com takes many liberties with their product listings. Apple says October release date so Amazon says the 31st. You must have missed Amazon's iLife 07 and iWork 07 release dates back in January 2007 when these items are usually released.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #44 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

Those are reserved for Lepard Server which will probably come out a month after the client version.

I wonder if Apple secretly plans to eventually usurp RiM's corporate hold by offering an unlimited license free alternative with its new Leopard OS X Server innovations? Could they--would they--make a deal with MS to allow Exchange Mail PUSHing to iPhones through a low cost Xserve while adding Pages and Numbers to the iPhone for corporate users?

Nah, I'm just dreaming. My RIMM stock is safe.
post #45 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celemourn View Post

Eh.... perhaps I've not chosen a properly communicative phrasing for the idea which I was attempting to convey. Allow me to retract the aforementioned locution and instead employ, "If we dispense with the notion that a focus on aesthetics and a focus on utility are polar opposites..."

Thus, through the employment of superfluous verbosity, and the MacOS X Thesaurus, He-Man defeated Skeletor and restored the Sorceress to Castle Greyskull. And there was much rejoicing.

<rolls eyes>

Oh man! I seriously can't wait for Mac OS X 10.6 "BATTLECAT!"

the ultimate in cat code names...

"I have the power!"
post #46 of 96
If 9A559 is to be considered GM then Apple has gone nuts and I would say to you forget 10.5 through 10.5.4, wait until at least 10.5.5, as presumably perhaps by then some sense will have been knocked into them by all those who ended up buying Leopard day one and suffering months of agony with what is sure to be quick out the door and problematic fixes!

Err...

I mean I love Leopard, buy buy buy... love Apple, love Leopard, love... peace, love, freedom, happiness, Leopard...
post #47 of 96
Leopard 9A559 is not GM for sure, and I really think it was not a final candidate, too.

The kernel is still reported to be a beta, and I've never seen a GM nor a final candidate with the kernel version in beta status.
will be what it's going to be
will be what it's going to be
post #48 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkwho View Post

what happened to the top secret features?

-=|Mgkwho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Good question. They are still secret?

They have been revealed during this year's WWDC. I am afraid there is nothing more. Oh wait, there is, jellybeans. \
post #49 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9secondko View Post

Oh man! I seriously can't wait for Mac OS X 10.6 "BATTLECAT!"

the ultimate in cat code names...

"I have the power!"

Anyone remember "Thundercats"?
post #50 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celemourn View Post

So, I haven't been keeping track and don't particularly feel like doing a search and wading through 10,000 hits.... were those "Top Secret" features ever found out, or was that just the RDF in action after all?

Remember all Steve originally said was, “There’s some top features to Leopard that we are going to keep close to the vest and not going to show you today. I just want you to know that they are there. We don’t want our friends to start their photocopiers any sooner than they have to, and so we are going to keep a few things secret…” Nothing else.

Since that time, a number of new, and most would consider "top," have been disclosed. I personally expect a few more new functions to be shown at the launch. Whether or not any will be deemed "top features" will be relative.
post #51 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by leafy View Post

Anyone remember "Thundercats"?

Thunder! Thunder! Thundercats! Hoooooo!

(snarf...Does that count?...snarf)

OS X 10.6 Thundercats:
Lion-O Edition (normal version)
Cheetara Edition (trades power for speed)
Panthro Edition (powerful but slow)
Tygra Edition (high security, hides all your sensitive data)
Wilykit/Kat Edition (with parental controls)
Jaga Edition (kills original install, but runs from a "ghost" copy)
Snarf Edition (badgers you with incessant warnings everytime it detects you might be doing something dangerous)
post #52 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Am I the only who thinks Tuesday, October 30th is better release date than Friday, October 26th?

Tiger was out on a Friday. So it's not like it's no happened before...
Daniel Tull
Daniel Tull
post #53 of 96
I just want my new Aluminum iMac to stop randomly freezing on me.
post #54 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielctull View Post

Tiger was out on a Friday. So it's not like it's no happened before...

Every Mac OS X release from 10.0 up to 10.4 was either on Friday evening or on Saturday morning. We will soon see if the trend still stands with Leopard.

EDIT: oops, exception is Puma (10.1), released on a Tuesday, but I am not sure if it really counts as a major update over 10.0 like the others.
post #55 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by PB View Post

Every Mac OS X release from 10.0 up to 10.4 was either on Friday evening or on Saturday morning. We will soon see if the trend still stands with Leopard.

EDIT: oops, exception is Puma (10.1), released on a Tuesday, but I am not sure if it really counts as a major update over 10.0 like the others.

It certainly was a major update. The MOST major update. Before that, the OS was really a beta. I couldn't use it for anything other than browsing without problems, and there were problems with almost everything else.

Puma was considered to be the "real" first release of the OS.
post #56 of 96
Quote:

You make a valid point but I am still going with "Apple Tuesday," October 30th. Mainly because it gives Apple 4 extra days to iron out some bugs and with all the OS X varieties they have been dealing with this year I think they will want to wait until the nearly the last moment possible like they did with the iPhone.

Not to mention that there will probably be an iTunes, iPhone, and possibly 10.4.11 update being released all around the same time. Let's not forget forget that the iPhone was supposed to be released alongside Leopard thusly making some of it's features seemingly pointless. Leopard for the Mac should resolve that and boost iPhone sales. (speculation)

Note: From Gold Master to store shelves Apple will several weeks to refine the OS even more. I wouldn't be surprised to see an immediate 10.5.0.1 update immediately after installing and connecting to the net.
post #57 of 96
Quote:
Thunder! Thunder! Thundercats! Hoooooo!

(snarf...Does that count?...snarf)

OS X 10.6 Thundercats:
Lion-O Edition (normal version)
Cheetara Edition (trades power for speed)
Panthro Edition (powerful but slow)
Tygra Edition (high security, hides all your sensitive data)
Wilykit/Kat Edition (with parental controls)
Jaga Edition (kills original install, but runs from a "ghost" copy)
Snarf Edition (badgers you with incessant warnings everytime it detects you might be doing something dangerous)

YOu just gotta admire the thought that goes into some of these posts.

Awaiting the 'Battle Cat' 10.6 edition of Mac Os X.

Lemon Bon Bon.

You know, for a company that specializes in the video-graphics market, you'd think that they would offer top-of-the-line GPUs...

WITH THE NEW MAC PRO THEY FINALLY DID!  (But you bend over for it.)

You know, for a company that specializes in the video-graphics market, you'd think that they would offer top-of-the-line GPUs...

post #58 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

It certainly was a major update. The MOST major update. Before that, the OS was really a beta. I couldn't use it for anything other than browsing without problems, and there were problems with almost everything else.

That's why I wonder how we should count them. I agree 10.0 was a really half-baked OS and 10.1 corrected the so many problems it came with. It is therefore not a major update in the sense the others were (this phenomenon never appeared again later -- a major update just six months later to make the OS actually usable), but it certainly was the most important of them from a usability point of view.
post #59 of 96
Quote:

That's why I wonder how we should count them. I agree 10.0 was a really half-baked OS and 10.1 corrected the so many problems it came with. It is therefore not a major update in the sense the others were (this phenomenon never appeared again later), but it certainly was the most important of them from a usability point of view.

Well, now, that's semantics.
post #60 of 96
Quote:

I didn't consider OS X "real" until Jaguar came out. Only then did I feel fully comfortable leaving OS 9 behind.

The update to Puma was still very significant, however. Am I remembering correctly that Puma was a free update for anyone who had purchased 10.0? I think Apple had to graciously acknowledge that those who bought 10.0 had simply paid for the privilege of being beta testers.
We were once so close to heaven
Peter came out and gave us medals
Declaring us the nicest of the damned -- They Might Be Giants          See the stars at skyviewcafe.com
We were once so close to heaven
Peter came out and gave us medals
Declaring us the nicest of the damned -- They Might Be Giants          See the stars at skyviewcafe.com
post #61 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by shetline View Post

I didn't consider OS X "real" until Jaguar came out. Only then did I feel fully comfortable leaving OS 9 behind.

The update to Puma was still very significant, however. Am I remembering correctly that Puma was a free update for anyone who had purchased 10.0? I think Apple had to graciously acknowledge that those who bought 10.0 had simply paid for the privilege of being beta testers.

It was. That was an aknowledgement that 10.0 was a beta after all. 10.0 should have been free, and 10.1 the first paid version.

But, I suppose Apple really did need the money back then.
post #62 of 96
The nice thing is Leopard is really snappy. I am using it on my second drive in my mac pro and it flys, I wonder what they did to make leopard so fast compared. Its reliable, no problems here and I would not be surprised if it is gold already.
post #63 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by hugodrax View Post

The nice thing is Leopard is really snappy. I am using it on my second drive in my mac pro and it flys, I wonder what they did to make leopard so fast compared. Its reliable, no problems here and I would not be surprised if it is gold already.

When you rip out a lot of the cruft to support legacy and then you put in a more scalable kernel, fine grained threading system, better VM and more you'll get a much snappier system.
post #64 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

When you rip out a lot of the cruft to support legacy and then you put in a more scalable kernel, fine grained threading system, better VM and more you'll get a much snappier system.

Don't forget also that he has a Mac Pro. Even Cheetah would be happy with that.
post #65 of 96
Quote:

What kind of legacy stuff did they pull out?
post #66 of 96
Quote:

What kind of legacy stuff did they pull out?

Well, the minimum requirement is now a G4 800, so I would guess anything relating to older G3 and G4 hardware is now gone from the software code.

You wouldn't think its much, but, if you look at the amount of stuff XPostFacto has to install to get an older Mac working with Panther or Tiger, it could be significant.
post #67 of 96
Well I booted back to tiger after two days of using leopard. Its definitely worth the 129 dollar upgrade. A no brainer. I hope digidesign qualifies Leopard soon after it is released.

One of the things that really impressed me about Leopard is the performance improvements and usability enhancements, once you get used to using spaces etc... its tough to go back.

Everything has a purpose for its existence. My friend who bought a precision a few weeks before my Mac Pro is starting to regret his decision. The precision with vista feels so laggy and Vistas interface is different for the sake of being different and nothing seems to really serve the purpose of improving usability, just eyecandy. He claims SP1 is supposed to make vista run faster

Apple Leopard "Teh Snappy"

Glad I switched last november after decades of PC/Windows/Dos/Linux
post #68 of 96
Quote:

Well I booted back to tiger after two days of using leopard. Its definitely worth the 129 dollar upgrade. A no brainer. I hope digidesign qualifies Leopard soon after it is released.

Why did you go back to Tiger if you found Leopard definitely worth the upgrade?
post #69 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Why did you go back to Tiger if you found Leopard definitely worth the upgrade?

I do not want to update my working protools environment with a beta software, Digidesign does not qualify protools on leopard. I installed it on a second harddrive and created a parallel environment to test my apps etc.. I was really tempted to convert my primary drive but I would rather play it safe and wait to get the retail product and get digidesigns blessing
post #70 of 96
Quote:

It's not that they ripped out legacy support protocalls, which would not do anything to slow the machine down anyway, but that the OS is more complex, and so works more slowly on older machines that don't have more modern chips, memory, video cards, etc.
post #71 of 96
Quote:

I do not want to update my working protools environment with a beta software, Digidesign does not qualify protools on leopard. I installed it on a second harddrive and created a parallel environment to test my apps etc.. I was really tempted to convert my primary drive but I would rather play it safe and wait to get the retail product and get digidesigns blessing

I install new OS's on separate HDD's as well, for testing purposes.

Beta OS's are a bitch.
post #72 of 96
The undoubted thing is that Halloween is the latest date for Leopard to start en masse shipping. Otherwise Mac sales for November and December will suffer. October is already slow-ish. Though of course iPhone and iPod touch is going bananas.
post #73 of 96
Quote:

I install new OS's on separate HDD's as well, for testing purposes.
Beta OS's are a bitch.

I will be "b0rging" one or two or three iMacs (refurb, awaiting re-sale) at work to begin some extensive Leopard testing.
post #74 of 96
Quote:

...Everything has a purpose for its existence. My friend who bought a precision a few weeks before my Mac Pro is starting to regret his decision. The precision with vista feels so laggy and Vistas interface is different for the sake of being different and nothing seems to really serve the purpose of improving usability, just eyecandy. He claims SP1 is supposed to make vista run faster

Apple Leopard "Teh Snappy"

Glad I switched last november after decades of PC/Windows/Dos/Linux

Vista is nonsense, that's a well accepted fact now. It took quite a bit (well, hell of a lot of energy) but I got my gaming PC (WinXP2Pro, the only way to go slumming in PCland) back up and running, actually, it's totally new components for Core2Duo teh overclocked (see my signature)... the 8500GT is not a great graphics card but it holds its own when CPU and RAM are cruising.

Basically for me HDTV/ Wii/ iMac/ PS2/ PS3/ Xbox/ Xbox360 (hell, not touching that with a 30-foot-pole) were not viable options for me.

Sega Rally is nice Unlocked a Sonic Hedgehog paint job for one of the cars. Heh.

When not gaming I think if it is on I'll just run Folding@Home on the PC. Overclocking is sweeeeet. Hand put together, Dell and HP can go suck my ... well, you get the idea. Total cost (excluding my Sony 17" which I already own) is $735 USD.

Mac for everything, PC for overclocking, gaming, Folding@home, VNC'ing. I guess I have a soft spot for the retarded stepchild...

The PC was very difficult to set up, and I questioned many times if it was worth it. Tried to upgrade my AMD64 (well, I just cleaned the heatsink, put a new heatsink/fan in, a "crackle", some sparks, and smoke... Then it was off to buy new motherboard, CPU, etc. etc. The RAID drivers were very very buggy on the new motherboard, so shoved that aside, did normal install... A bit of tinkering and got some stability going. The CPU can probably push 2.8ghz (OC'ed from 2.0ghz) but it's better with some 800mhz++ RAM... I'll take 2.55ghz for now.

Ah well, as a male, I guess I need some sort of "project" going on-the-side. Sometimes I feel like I am cheating on my MacBook...
post #75 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Vista is nonsense, that's a well accepted fact now. It took quite a bit (well, hell of a lot of energy) but I got my gaming PC (WinXP2Pro, the only way to go slumming in PCland) back up and running, actually, it's totally new components for Core2Duo teh overclocked (see my signature)... the 8500GT is not a great graphics card but it holds its own when CPU and RAM are cruising.

Basically for me HDTV/ Wii/ iMac/ PS2/ PS3/ Xbox/ Xbox360 (hell, not touching that with a 30-foot-pole) were not viable options for me.

Sega Rally is nice Unlocked a Sonic Hedgehog paint job for one of the cars. Heh.

When not gaming I think if it is on I'll just run Folding@Home on the PC. Overclocking is sweeeeet. Hand put together, Dell and HP can go suck my ... well, you get the idea. Total cost (excluding my Sony 17" which I already own) is $735 USD.

Mac for everything, PC for overclocking, gaming, Folding@home, VNC'ing. I guess I have a soft spot for the retarded stepchild...

The PC was very difficult to set up, and I questioned many times if it was worth it. Tried to upgrade my AMD64 (well, I just cleaned the heatsink, put a new heatsink/fan in, a "crackle", some sparks, and smoke... Then it was off to buy new motherboard, CPU, etc. etc. The RAID drivers were very very buggy on the new motherboard, so shoved that aside, did normal install... A bit of tinkering and got some stability going. The CPU can probably push 2.8ghz (OC'ed from 2.0ghz) but it's better with some 800mhz++ RAM... I'll take 2.55ghz for now.

Ah well, as a male, I guess I need some sort of "project" going on-the-side. Sometimes I feel like I am cheating on my MacBook...

Yeah, how do you like that Core2Duo versus the AMD64, eh? I was thinking of building a AMD64 x2 2.2 GHZ back in the day. You could overclock those to 2.6 GHZ on air and that was impressive. All this was before Intel released the Core architecture, they were still using the Prescott architecture. Those were fun times... too bad I didn't build a PC, I ended up buying my first mac, an iMac G5.

Ah, that didn't do so well either, figured I needed to run Windows and bought a 2.33 GHZ MacBook Pro 17" and bought a 2.0 GHZ MacBook both Core2Duo.

Can't wait for Leopard and wait for 64-bit and speed improvements. I'll probably buy it the first day it comes out. Next laptop I buy will probably be when 10.6 comes out. I think i'll go with the Lion-O edition.
post #76 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

You're a male? We never knew for sure.

post #77 of 96
Quote:

You're a male? We never knew for sure.

Ha Ha OMG Melgross uses a smiley! And a really trippy one too. Note to self: do not look at it while erm... in an "altered state".
post #78 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by NarutoSasuke View Post

Yeah, how do you like that Core2Duo versus the AMD64, eh? I was thinking of building a AMD64 x2 2.2 GHZ back in the day. You could overclock those to 2.6 GHZ on air and that was impressive...

Core2 whips ass right now. You can take a Core2Duo (Conroe) 2.66ghz and whack it up to 3.2+ghz on aftermarket air cooler. Though they say the real value is a 2.0 or 2.2 or something like that and taking it up to 3ghz. You'll need to do your research first though.

Quote:

All this was before Intel released the Core architecture, they were still using the Prescott architecture. Those were fun times... too bad I didn't build a PC, I ended up buying my first mac, an iMac G5.

Ah, that didn't do so well either, figured I needed to run Windows and bought a 2.33 GHZ MacBook Pro 17" and bought a 2.0 GHZ MacBook both Core2Duo.

I don't imagine you need a PC anymore with that!!!

Quote:

Can't wait for Leopard and wait for 64-bit and speed improvements. I'll probably buy it the first day it comes out. Next laptop I buy will probably be when 10.6 comes out. I think i'll go with the Lion-O edition.

Haha... I'm hoping 10.6 is "Lynx"...
post #79 of 96
"Sometimes I feel like I am cheating on my MacBook..."

Hmm. All the woman you'll ever need...but a bit of gaming on teh mistress...

I see your game...

Lemon Bon Bon.

post #80 of 96
I can't wait to see the real Leopard and dump this beta but I doubt they're ready. You can't just say "we'll release in October" and then be ready no matter what. 10.5.1 must loom already.

OTOH I'd like to see someone assemble a list of annoying bugs reported early on to Apple for Tiger - reported as early as April 2005 - that they still wouldn't have fixed with this final .11 update. It's going to be a very long list and I can't remember ever having to deal with such a situation before on any platform - not even on previous releases of Mac OS X.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Sources: Leopard finalized, 10.4.11 inching closer