or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Study: HDTVs, Windows PCs crowd out Apple on holiday wish lists
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Study: HDTVs, Windows PCs crowd out Apple on holiday wish lists

post #1 of 50
Thread Starter 
HD-capable flat screen TVs and Windows notebooks -- not Apple iPods or iPhones -- rank atop this year's holiday wish list of American consumers who listed at least one digital lifestyle product amongst their most desired gifts.

In fact, the recent study of 1,200 American consumers by Solutions Research Group found that no individual Apple product ranked higher than No. 11 on the wish lists. When combined, however, Apple-branded technology products made it to the top 5 overall, with one-in-six considering an Apple-branded purchase -- suggesting a strong potential holiday season for the Cupertino-based company.

Apple's iPhone was ranked No. 15, while the hottest Apple-branded product was a Mac notebook, which ranked No. 11 overall and No. 9 among women.

In general, HDTVs were the most desired gift among all population subgroups, with a resounding 35 percent of respondents saying they craved one of the pricey eye-catching gadgets. Interestingly, Solutions Research report that only 2 percent said they also intend to get a HD box from their cable or satellite company, and 6 percent a Blu-ray or HD-DVD high-definition DVD player.

Men and women had six items in common in the top 10 -- the rest were unique by gender. Sony PS3 and Xbox 360 were on the top 10 list of men but did not make it to the top 10 list of women. On the other hand, TiVo/ DVR and Apple laptops were in the top 10 for women but did not show up on men’s wish lists for the holidays.

Meanwhile, notebook computers were preferred over desktop computers 2-to-1 among those respondents age 18 to 34. Nintendo Wii, Sony PS3 and Xbox 360 were all on lists from that same age group, with the Wii being the highest ranked console, ranked No. 8 overall, edging out Sony PS3 which came in at No. 9. Xbox was ranked No. 12.



Solutions Research said its study results were based on a survey of 1,200 online Americans aged 18 and older in September 2007 using "a professionally-managed panel representative of the US online population." The firm also claims to fund its own syndicated research in an effort to maintain an unbiased perspective.
post #2 of 50
Ah, but you see, Apple laptops ARE (or can be easily) Windows laptops... especially with Leopard!
post #3 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple's iPhone was ranked No. 15, while the hottest Apple-branded product was a Mac notebook, which ranked No. 11 overall and No. 9 among women.

Who gives a flippity flying fart-whistle what this pollster says. Apple products are now ranking on CONSUMER RADAR AND CUSTOMER WISH LISTS. That is all that matters to the price of my shares.

Suck it, Ballmer.
post #4 of 50
No surprise there. If people intended to get more Macs than Windows PCs this holiday season, we'd have a market reversal straight out of the twilight zone
post #5 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

In fact, the recent study of 1,200 American consumers by Solutions Research Group found that no individual Apple product ranked higher than No. 11 on the wish lists.

What the article didn't state is that those 1,200 consumers all live withing 25 miles of Redmond, WA.
post #6 of 50
lets face it guys, we love being underdogs... not to think of if the mac rates over windows in the averages consumers mind... i might even have to switch to linux :-D
post #7 of 50
Um . . . Go women!

I wonder if this is much different than in previous years. I doubt it. I was also impressed to see the PS3 so high on the list. Go Cell.
Cat: the other white meat
Reply
Cat: the other white meat
Reply
post #8 of 50
No way 11% of guys want a GPS navigation system for their car as opposed to 10% for the female population. We all know how 'apprehensive' we (guys) are when it comes to asking anyone (or anything) for directions.

Also, why would 11% of women want a digital video camera, but only 1 in 12 men asked for one? Maybe the samples are reversed . And as for the iPhone, every lady is probably asking her man to buy her one, as we speak
post #9 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delfoniq View Post

Also, why would 11% of women want a digital video camera

As a Career Enhancement Device?!

It worked wonders for Pamela Anderson, Paris Hilton, et al. Just need night vision recording and you're all set!

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Reply

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Reply
post #10 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by studiomusic View Post

Ah, but you see, Apple laptops ARE (or can be easily) Windows laptops... especially with Leopard!

You mean Intel based Macs, not Leopard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

No surprise there. If people intended to get more Macs than Windows PCs this holiday season, we'd have a market reversal straight out of the twilight zone

Preach on, Brother Man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicGarden View Post

lets face it guys, we love being underdogs... not to think of if the mac rates over windows in the averages consumers mind... i might even have to switch to linux :-D

I disagree. I jsut want the best OS and HW integration possible. I could care less if that is Apple My Apple stock value notwithstanding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splinemodel View Post

I wonder if this is much different than in previous years. I doubt it. I was also impressed to see the PS3 so high on the list. Go Cell.

Remember these are wish lists. Maybe most of these people already have Wiis, XBoxs and iPhones and now want the hard to find PS3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delfoniq View Post

Also, why would 11% of women want a digital video camera, but less than 1 in 12 men asked for one? Maybe the samples are reversed . And as for the iPhone, every lady is probably asking her man to buy her one, as we speak

Maybe the men surveyed already have digital cameras.

This is such a poor study. It was a wish list but held no barring on what people were actually expecting and what they currently owned.


Survey 1201 (solipsism): I want AAPL and RIMM to hit $200 before Xmas.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #11 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

while the hottest Apple-branded product was a Mac notebook, which ranked No. 11 overall and No. 9 among women.

That's why there are no women in the latest iPhone commercials! They are all at the Apple Store drooling over Mac notebooks!!

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Reply

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Reply
post #12 of 50
I told you Apple should make a Tele.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #13 of 50
The PS3 is a Blu-Ray player.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #14 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Interestingly, Solutions Research report that only 2 percent said they also intend to get a HD box from their cable or satellite company

Interesting, but not surprising. I can't tell you how many bars I've gone into that have a dozen HD TVs hanging up all over the place, but have them showing SD channels, making everything stretched out. And you know they're completely oblivious to the fact that it's set up wrong.

I'm guessing many people have done this at home, too.
27" 3.06 GHz iMac

16 GB iPhone 4
80 GB iPod Classic
1 GB 2nd Gen iPod Shuffle

Apple TV (2nd gen)
Apple TV (1st gen 40 GB)
AirPort Extreme Base Station (802.11n)
Reply
27" 3.06 GHz iMac

16 GB iPhone 4
80 GB iPod Classic
1 GB 2nd Gen iPod Shuffle

Apple TV (2nd gen)
Apple TV (1st gen 40 GB)
AirPort Extreme Base Station (802.11n)
Reply
post #15 of 50
Apple is a specific brand name, that means if Apple gets 11th / 15th place, that is a HUGE victory.

"Windows Based PC's" were higher, but it's not like it's saying Sony Vaios, or Dell Whatevers. I don't know if it's really fair to compare them. Still, being compared in this way, just the fact that the Macbook was so close is really amazing. This would never have been the case even 5 years ago.
post #16 of 50
It's a testament to the genii of Nintendo that there is a video game system in the women's top ten at all. It's ood to see a company reaching/(exploiting) a different market segment.

The only reason why anyone would be shocked about Apple's failure to reach the top ten overall is simply because Apple has so much damn hype that it can never live up to. This is a two-edged situation, because people will buy more from Apple, buy they will expect too much, and be disappointed.
MacBook Pro C2D 2.4GHz and a battle-scarred PowerBook G4 1.33GHz

"When you gaze long into a dead pixel, the dead pixes gazes also into you"
Reply
MacBook Pro C2D 2.4GHz and a battle-scarred PowerBook G4 1.33GHz

"When you gaze long into a dead pixel, the dead pixes gazes also into you"
Reply
post #17 of 50
Wha? No iPod?

Either the portable media player has completely bottomed out, crashed, and died - or something's a little off with this survey.

I'd bet on the latter.
post #18 of 50
Just because someone wishes for a new computer or a $3000-$5000 HDTV doesn't mean they are going to get it. The reality is, gifts are often not the more expensive ones, making the less expensive gifts (iPods included) more popular.
post #19 of 50
I wonder what percentage of people want the new typewriters by Brother. I hope to get one.
Cubist
Reply
Cubist
Reply
post #20 of 50
AppleTV is a paradigm shift that isn't going to sell itself easily. People need to be urged to make the change. So, if I were Apple, I would use the high results for HDTV as a lever to getting more people to adopt AppleTV, by partnering with manufacturers to offer some kind of rebate or coupon if an AppleTV is bought within 30 days of the purchase of the HDTV.
post #21 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobbes View Post

Wha? No iPod?

Either the portable media player has completely bottomed out, crashed, and died - or something's a little off with this survey.

I'd bet on the latter.

Everyone already has an iPod, that's why. Though I do think Apple should sell a bunch of iPod nanos this year.
post #22 of 50
Considering that new cell phones made the Top 10 quite solidly, couldn't we assume that a fair-sized chunk of respondents are planning to get an iPhone but simply responded "new cell phone"??
post #23 of 50
I'd be interested in knowing how the survey phrased the question about Windows-based desktops and laptops? How do you get a valid response to an inaccurate classification in the first place.
IT"S TIME WE STARTED REFERRING TO THOSE PCs as "WINDOWS-ONLY".

And why wouldn't an iPhone (or any of the smartphones) be considered part of the Cell Phone statistic? Seems like a questionable distinction for a consumer survey to make, no?
post #24 of 50
How about a little critical thinking here?

Look at the women's score. 19% plan to buy a Windows laptop (ALL brands combined) while 7% plan to buy an Apple laptop. If they follow through, that would give Apple a 26% market share among women buyers.

The number is somewhat lower for men (we can't determine how much lower because they don't give the number for Apple laptops.

Still, given Apple's current overall market share of 5-6%, a 26% share among women laptop buyers is a good sign. Amazing how these polling firms can manage to find bad news about Apple every where they look.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #25 of 50
Yet I wonder how many of the people too young to take this survey want an iPod.....it seems that those younger-to-mid teenage years are the group that they sell the most in.
post #26 of 50
Apple's Holiday numbers will be outstanding. Go to ANY mall or retail area where there is an Apple Store. Check out the customer count in other stores, any other store, any time of week or day. The Apple Stores are a remarkable retail accomplishment. These places buzz with activity. While other retailers lull mid-week and mid-day, Apple fills their locations with people. Don't believe me, go to one and observe. Day in, day out.
post #27 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Having people in the store and people buying are two very different things. I have two Apple Stores in my area and most of the time you have to try and get around the teenage girls using facebook or taking pictures with the isight cams. Thats about it.

Not many walk out with high ticket items.

Right.....
post #28 of 50
I've got the same data as you....

And 13 year olds are Apple's market. They're buying iPods and spending money on iTunes regularly. And guess what...they grow up.

They may not walk out with 24" iMacs but more than 1/2 of the average Apple Store show floor is dedicated to iPods, iPhones and accessories.

Don't forget, Daddy has money. Christmas will account for more than 1/2 of the average retail stores total annual revenues. The traffic Apple stores generate all year translate into sales during peak times.

People use to say that all those people in Starbucks listening to music and playing with their laptops was a waste of expensive retail space. A few thousand stores later and still going.
post #29 of 50
^^ I don't know how it is in North GA, but you'll find visiting any flagship store (NYC, San Francisco, LA, London, Tokyo) is a *very* different story. The 5th Avenue store here in NYC is particularly insane. Not only mobbed at practically any hour - it's open 24 hrs as well - but a constant stream of buyers. Mind-boggling actually.

Anyway, I'm sure HDTVs will outsell MacBooks (computers can't compete with CE for the holiday) but no iPods at all in the list? (Let alone *any* PMP?) That just doesn't compute. Apple has a strong line-up, and you can bet Apple is going to sell 20M of 'em this holiday - possibly more.

Perhaps the problem with this survey is the gap between "want" and "get".
post #30 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

iPods didn't even make the top consumer list. By now the market is totally flooded with iPods. Sales will remain steady but peaking is rare these days. Apple Stores generate larges amounts of traffice because unlike Windows systems you can only buy Apple products in very limited places.

I will agree with you that the Apple Stores are always crowded honestly I wish the rumor a while ago was true where they were start to charge people to come in so all the lookers would get the hell out unless they were serious.

The day the new iMacs came out I walked into the store ready to buy two of then and did but it took me 20 mins to get to look at one because the wanna be Paris Hiltons of the world wouldn't get off the isight cameras.

iPods in this society cost next to nothing to waiting for a special even is rare, sales of iPods stay fairly steady all year, I don't expect iPhone sales to jump either because it requires a two year contract and alot of variables.

I think their best bet a lifting sales would be a nice upgread to Macbooks. Then I could see a push in holiday sales.

The retail strategy is working. There are plenty of drivers going into the Holiday. I think Apple is well positioned to exceed expectations for many reasons. I don't think 13 year old girls hogging the iMacs concern Steve at all. In fact, I think that's part of the strategy. The Apple store is a living, breathing, touch me/feel me advertisement. Brilliant really.
post #31 of 50
Funded by somebody these "studies" are--how else could these guys afford to do this "research"? Find out who funded this "study" and you will learn much, young Padawan. The force is strong with WinTel...
post #32 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceage View Post

Funded by somebody these "studies" are--how else could these guys afford to do this "research"? Find out who funded this "study" and you will learn much, young Padawan. The force is strong with WinTel...

^^^^^ nerd ^^^^^
post #33 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by slogan621 View Post

AppleTV is a paradigm shift that isn't going to sell itself easily. People need to be urged to make the change. So, if I were Apple, I would use the high results for HDTV as a lever to getting more people to adopt AppleTV, by partnering with manufacturers to offer some kind of rebate or coupon if an AppleTV is bought within 30 days of the purchase of the HDTV.

Good point. Especially as things to plug into the HDTV seem to be way down the list. Is HD DTT that widespread in the US?
Why does somebody ask me a question, I can never understand, I can never provide the answer, but believe I can.
Reply
Why does somebody ask me a question, I can never understand, I can never provide the answer, but believe I can.
Reply
post #34 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by tetzel1517 View Post

Interesting, but not surprising. I can't tell you how many bars I've gone into that have a dozen HD TVs hanging up all over the place, but have them showing SD channels, making everything stretched out. And you know they're completely oblivious to the fact that it's set up wrong.

I'm guessing many people have done this at home, too.

I get quite oblivious to stuff when I'm in a bar too. Maybe more research...
Why does somebody ask me a question, I can never understand, I can never provide the answer, but believe I can.
Reply
Why does somebody ask me a question, I can never understand, I can never provide the answer, but believe I can.
Reply
post #35 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Having people in the store and people buying are two very different things. I have two Apple Stores in my area and most of the time you have to try and get around the teenage girls using facebook or taking pictures with the isight cams. Thats about it.

Not many walk out with high ticket items.

Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Thats because Steve Jobs doesn't live in a reality that the rest of us dwell in. Steve Jobs believes that everyone should live in an all Apple world it's that belief that has kept his market share at 5% or less for oh lets say 30 years. A sub 200.00 mp3 player the sole exception.

What Steve Jobs has done is created the AOL version of computing. Service upon service for all the people that don't really understand how all this stuff works. Genius Bars that you can even pay extra for to get to the front of the line. .Mac overpriced for that whole 10gig of space.

Products and sofware that only work with other Apple products and software.

What Steve does have going for him are people that continue to buy his products based on a cult following. Its always been this way with Apple and always will be until he steps down.

You will never see Apple own 5-6% of the market until he moves on. You can't dispute that because decades of history have already proven this fact. Even with intel spikes they have not been able to break that barrier. Right now is about as good as Apple has ever had it and they are still 5% of the market.

Perhaps all the teenage girls using the macs is what is contributing to the macbook showing up on the women's list? Nah...

I regularly see folks walk out with a big black box from our Apple store when I'm at the mall. It sure as heck is enough to make that store a good economic value for Apple in addition to being a good place to see Apple products.

And mine is in a surburban mall...not an island.

In any case, instead of opinion do you actually have any data to back up what you are saying?

Because the figures released by Apple say $89M profit in Q1 2007 and $90M in Q1 2006. I'm going to guess that for Q1 2008 its in that same ballpark...

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...arter_yet.html

Consider your assertions disputed. Teenage girls don't care what an old guy in a mock turtleneck thinks and IMHO is immune to Jobsian RDF.
post #36 of 50
I wouldn't want everyone to own a Mac.
post #37 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by tetzel1517 View Post

Interesting, but not surprising. I can't tell you how many bars I've gone into that have a dozen HD TVs hanging up all over the place, but have them showing SD channels, making everything stretched out. And you know they're completely oblivious to the fact that it's set up wrong.

I'm guessing many people have done this at home, too.

Duh! People are retarded! Don't you know that yet?! Look at all the Windows users in the world!

95% of all home theater systems I've seen set-up in homes have all 5+ speakers up front. Half the time the surrounds aren't even hooked up... not to mention not SURROUNDING you. Or it's hooked up using RCAs and not the special Coax cable or optical. People bought it because "you got to get a Dolby Digital home theater!" Well, they got one. Kind of.

Same thing with High Def TVs. People got 'em allright. Sort of. Actually they got a really expensive, flat, standard def TV. Hahaha or they hook-up the TV using standard cablr coax or RCAs instead of component or HDMI. DUHR!!!

Mid 2010 Mac Mini with SSD, iPhone 6, AppleTVs, iPad 2.

-------------------------------------------------------
Mac user since 1996 ("The Dark Days")

Reply

Mid 2010 Mac Mini with SSD, iPhone 6, AppleTVs, iPad 2.

-------------------------------------------------------
Mac user since 1996 ("The Dark Days")

Reply
post #38 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by slogan621 View Post

AppleTV is a paradigm shift that isn't going to sell itself easily. People need to be urged to make the change. So, if I were Apple, I would use the high results for HDTV as a lever to getting more people to adopt AppleTV, by partnering with manufacturers to offer some kind of rebate or coupon if an AppleTV is bought within 30 days of the purchase of the HDTV.

Exactly what about the AppleTV is a paradigm shift? Assuming you already have a video-capable iPod, the AppleTV essentially becomes a $300 iPod video cable. Not exactly a paradigm shift. If you don't have an iPod, it's basically an unmoving iPod. Again, what paradigm shift?

A TiVo DVR, the Xbox 360, the PS3 and a slew of Windows Media extenders can do pretty much everything the AppleTV plus providing features above and beyond AppleTV. Gaming (360/PS3), HD Video (360/PS3), Web-browsing (PS3), Video/Voice/Text Chats (360/PS3), DVR functions (TiVo and maybe in the future PS3), direct rental/purchasing of videos (360/TiVo). What does AppleTV bring to the table to excite purchasers?

I can only assume the paradigm shift you're talking about buying TV shows via iTunes and ditching cable. That may work for maybe 5% of the populace, but I think most people would find that both in price and convenience it just ends up being better to stick with cable/satellite. My TV viewing last night consisted of Jeopardy, Deal or No Deal, and Bionic Woman. If I had to pay $1.99 each to watch Jeopardy or Deal or No Deal, I'd just skip them. How good do you think TV ratings would be if cable service was free, but each show required a $2 fee? I bet they'd plummet pretty quick.
post #39 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

How about a little critical thinking here?

Look at the women's score. 19% plan to buy a Windows laptop (ALL brands combined) while 7% plan to buy an Apple laptop. If they follow through, that would give Apple a 26% market share among women buyers.
.....
Still, given Apple's current overall market share of 5-6%, a 26% share among women laptop buyers is a good sign. Amazing how these polling firms can manage to find bad news about Apple every where they look.

Excellent comment. Yes, I wonder how Sony vs HP vs Dell would come out compared to Apple if each brand were listed individually!!!

The same with TVs. Did everyone only want a HDTV vs a specific brand?????

Elder Norm
post #40 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by eldernorm View Post

Excellent comment. Yes, I wonder how Sony vs HP vs Dell would come out compared to Apple if each brand were listed individually!!!

The same with TVs. Did everyone only want a HDTV vs a specific brand?????

Elder Norm

True, but Apple's problem, in this context, is that they are the only vendor for the Mac OS whereas Microsoft as many vendors for Windows. Apple will always be at a disadvantage because of that. However, I seem to remember that Apple is in third place for sales (laptops?) with Gateway in fourth.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Study: HDTVs, Windows PCs crowd out Apple on holiday wish lists