or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › Doris Lessing wins Nobel Prize

Doris Lessing wins Nobel Prize

post #1 of 8
This years Nobel Prize has gone to Doris Lessing one of my favourite authors so I thought I'd start an appreciation thread for those who like her work (probably just me!).

She is 87 now and a fascinating character. She was my next-door but one neighbour when I lived in London and is very down to earth for such an icon.

I think my favourite books of hers are the Science Fiction series Canopus in Argos - which seem almost prophetic now. They are very Islamic/Sufi influenced (like Herbert's 'Dune' is also - but these are better - but in many ways are a re-writing of Biblical myth in an evolutionary context.

The 'Good Terrorist' is another classic - I heard Police were confiscating it from people's bookshelves when they raided them for other matters! Hah!

Anyone else a fan?
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
post #2 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by segovius View Post

Anyone else a fan?

Me.

Once had the privilege of getting her a bowl of ice-cream.

Was a tongue-tied cretin.

She's a literary idol of mine.
meh
meh
post #3 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harald View Post

Me.

Once had the privilege of getting her a bowl of ice-cream.

Was a tongue-tied cretin.

She's a literary idol of mine.

Heheh - she can be quite intimidating for a little old lady can't she?

She has about 30 cats....
post #4 of 8
Well, that's cool.

I love her work, and if you asked me about my favorites, I would have named the Shikasta stuff and The Good Terrorist.

I was also very much admire The Fifth Child and I've got Ben in the World on my list.

I love her utter lack of sentimentality.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
post #5 of 8
I very much enjoyed The Golden Notebook and Briefings For A Descent Into Heck.
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwinter View Post

I very much enjoyed The Golden Notebook and Briefings For A Descent Into Heck.

And the Nobel Prize for thread melding goes to.....
post #7 of 8
The NYTimes has an op-ed of hers from the early 90s up now...
"In a republic, voters may vote for the leaders they want, but they get the leaders they deserve."
"In a republic, voters may vote for the leaders they want, but they get the leaders they deserve."
post #8 of 8
More from Doris:

Quote:
"I always hated Tony Blair, from the beginning," she said. "Many of us hated Tony Blair, I think he has been a disaster for Britain and we have suffered him for many years.

"I said it when he was elected, 'This man is a little showman who is going to cause us problems' and he did. As for Bush, he's a world calamity. Everyone is tired of this man.

"Either he is stupid or he is very clever, although you have to remember he is a member of a social class which has profited from wars."

Link
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AppleOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › Doris Lessing wins Nobel Prize