or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Should Al Gore Run again ?

Should Al Gore Run again ?

post #1 of 255
Heard on the radio this morning that there are numbers of supporters of his who want him to run for President. (again)

Apparently they have even taken out expensive full page adverts in some newspapers in an attempt to encourage him back onto the campaign trail.

http://www.boston.com/news/nation/ar...to_enter_race/

Do you think he should or shouldn't ?

Should we toss hats into the air...or throw brickbats..?

And while we're discussing Gore....why on Earth is he being considered for a Nobel Peace prize...?

Cheers.

Aquafire
There are 3 types of people in the world.

Those who count.

&

Those who can't.

Those who count.

&

Those who can't.
post #2 of 255
I for one would definitely vote for him over Clinton or Obama. I also think he has a far greater chance of winning if he runs. Problem is, he really needs to get on a diet!
post #3 of 255
I think Gore would bring a lot to the race... maybe get Shrillary off her coronation tour as well.
"Stand Up for Chuck"
"Stand Up for Chuck"
post #4 of 255
[CENTER]Al Gore(and the IPCC)

The Nobel Peace Prize 2007
Quote:
The Norwegian Nobel Committee has decided that the Nobel Peace Prize for 2007 is to be shared, in two equal parts, between the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) and Albert Arnold (Al) Gore Jr. for their efforts to build up and disseminate greater knowledge about man-made climate change, and to lay the foundations for the measures that are needed to counteract such change.

Indications of changes in the earth's future climate must be treated with the utmost seriousness, and with the precautionary principle uppermost in our minds. Extensive climate changes may alter and threaten the living conditions of much of mankind. They may induce large-scale migration and lead to greater competition for the earth's resources. Such changes will place particularly heavy burdens on the world's most vulnerable countries. There may be increased danger of violent conflicts and wars, within and between states.

Through the scientific reports it has issued over the past two decades, the IPCC has created an ever-broader informed consensus about the connection between human activities and global warming. Thousands of scientists and officials from over one hundred countries have collaborated to achieve greater certainty as to the scale of the warming. Whereas in the 1980s global warming seemed to be merely an interesting hypothesis, the 1990s produced firmer evidence in its support. In the last few years, the connections have become even clearer and the consequences still more apparent.

Al Gore has for a long time been one of the world's leading environmentalist politicians. He became aware at an early stage of the climatic challenges the world is facing. His strong commitment, reflected in political activity, lectures, films and books, has strengthened the struggle against climate change. He is probably the single individual who has done most to create greater worldwide understanding of the measures that need to be adopted.

By awarding the Nobel Peace Prize for 2007 to the IPCC and Al Gore, the Norwegian Nobel Committee is seeking to contribute to a sharper focus on the processes and decisions that appear to be necessary to protect the worlds future climate, and thereby to reduce the threat to the security of mankind. Action is necessary now, before climate change moves beyond mans control.

[/CENTER]
Every eye fixed itself upon him; with parted lips and bated breath the audience hung upon his words, taking no note of time, rapt in the ghastly fascinations of the tale. NOT!
Every eye fixed itself upon him; with parted lips and bated breath the audience hung upon his words, taking no note of time, rapt in the ghastly fascinations of the tale. NOT!
post #5 of 255
Jeez, first an Oscar, now a Nobel. What's next, is he going to win a Gold medal in ice skating?

I think him winning the Nobel prize makes it less likely for him to run for president. Now he has less to prove. He's also not a very charismatic presidential candidate. He's very smart, and he'd be a good president, but he's not a great candidate, as he proved in 1988 and 2000.

And, as tonton points out, more important is the No-belly rather than the Nobel.
post #6 of 255
Wow. Just Wow. Now maybe he'll think about running?

Clinton: Rhodes Scholar.
Gore: Nobel Prize winner.
GW Bush: Knows all the episodes of Dukes of Hazzard by heart.
post #7 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Wow. Just Wow. Now maybe he'll think about running?

Clinton: Rhodes Scholar.
Gore: Nobel Prize winner.
GW Bush: Knows all the episodes of Dukes of Hazzard by heart.

Hehe

Clinton: The only President who did strange things with Cigars and never inhaled...

Bush: The only President to speak in Tongues in Congress, but never in Church.

Gore..Living proof that Carbon credits are seriously Fattening,

Aquafire

Those who count.

&

Those who can't.

Those who count.

&

Those who can't.
post #8 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRussell View Post

Jeez, first an Oscar, now a Nobel. What's next, is he going to win a Gold medal in ice skating?

He just won an Emmy award this year too (for Current TV)!

Holy gee whiz batman... a Nobel Peace Prize!
post #9 of 255

Al Gore 2008..................pleeeease...
post #10 of 255
I think he should grow his hair out and let a beard come as well. Then he can go around healing the sick and the poor while continuing to convert many more people to his religion.

Nick

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

post #11 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

I think he should grow his hair out and let a beard come as well. Then he can go around healing the sick and the poor while continuing to convert many more people to his religion.

Nick

Ya mean like this?...

post #12 of 255
If Gore would run this time he'd win.

Pure and simple.

Do I wish he would run? Hell yes!
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
post #13 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by @_@ Artman View Post

Ya mean like this?...

post #14 of 255
He would do a lot in fixing our image abroad, healing international relationships and repairing the alienation W has done over the years.

The scientific community would benefit from his presidency because I believe he will reinvest in biological, astronomical, environmental, energy and medical research. And his administration will not bully them like the current one has been for the past 7 years.

Gore will not get us into unnecessary wars or conflicts that are meant to expand American influence in parts of the world that do not want western influence.

http://www.draftgore.com/
post #15 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outsider View Post

He would do a lot in fixing our image abroad, healing international relationships and repairing the alienation W has done over the years.

The scientific community would benefit from his presidency because I believe he will reinvest in biological, astrological, environmental, energy and medical research. And his administration will not bully them like the current one has been for the past 7 years.

Gore will not get us into unnecessary wars or conflicts that are meant to expand American influence in parts of the world that do not want western influence.

Astrological?
post #16 of 255
Oops, that's what happens when you let spell check go crazy. Astronomical. George would be better suited in studying astrology.
post #17 of 255
Quote:

I think him winning the Nobel prize makes it less likely for him to run for president. Now he has less to prove. He's also not a very charismatic presidential candidate. He's very smart, and he'd be a good president, but he's not a great candidate, as he proved in 1988 and 2000.

I think that he has improved dramatically since leaving office - to me he is very charismatic now.

But he is not serious about running, or he would not have bought such a large amount of energy burning real estate. Buying carbon credits is morally equivalent to buying your way out of the draft - in both cases the rich are asking the middle class and poor to do something they are not willing to do themselves.
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
post #18 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by e1618978 View Post

But he is not serious about running, or he would not have bought such a large amount of energy burning real estate.

Hmm? I know conservatives complain that his family has for several generations owned his property. But I didn't know he had actually purchased "energy-burning real estate." To what are you referring?
post #19 of 255
Al Gore is the most ridiculously overqualified person on the planet.

All he's missing now is a Congressional Gold Medal/ Presidential Medal of Freedom (hey if the "Cat's in the Cradle" songwriter dude can get a CGM, why not Al?), BRussell's figure skating gold medal, sainthood, and possibly the Presidency.
post #20 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnJ View Post

Al Gore is the most ridiculously overqualified person on the planet.

All he's missing now is a Congressional Gold Medal/ Presidential Medal of Freedom (hey if the "Cat's in the Cradle" songwriter dude can get a CGM, why not Al?), BRussell's figure skating gold medal, sainthood, and possibly the Presidency.

Why don't we just go ahead and admit that he is Jesus Christ himself, sent to "free" us from the "bondage" of climate cycles?

Hysteria is paying off for Albert Gore. Finally.
"Stand Up for Chuck"
"Stand Up for Chuck"
post #21 of 255
Without the global warming platform, wouldn't he still be a good president?
post #22 of 255
I'd love for Gore to be President, but I think it's way too late for him to jump into the race at this point, even if he wanted to (and I don't think he does). As long as a Democrat wins, perhaps Gore would be willing to be Secretary of Energy.

Maybe in 2016.
We were once so close to heaven
Peter came out and gave us medals
Declaring us the nicest of the damned -- They Might Be Giants          See the stars at skyviewcafe.com
We were once so close to heaven
Peter came out and gave us medals
Declaring us the nicest of the damned -- They Might Be Giants          See the stars at skyviewcafe.com
post #23 of 255
He won't run.

Why should he? So people can complain about his weight? Or his choice in earth toned suits. Please. Why on earth would he subject himself to today's modern politics. Just ask Graham Frost, or wounded soldiers who oppose the war, or Michael J. Fox. Funk that!

At least he keeps his dignity and self-respect.

Should he be president? Absolutely. But not at the cost of the circus to get there.
"The selfishness of Ayn Rand capitalism is the equivalent of intellectual masturbation -- satisfying in an ego-stroking way, but an ethical void when it comes to our commonly shared humanity."
"The selfishness of Ayn Rand capitalism is the equivalent of intellectual masturbation -- satisfying in an ego-stroking way, but an ethical void when it comes to our commonly shared humanity."
post #24 of 255
Quote:

Hmm? I know conservatives complain that his family has for several generations owned his property. But I didn't know he had actually purchased "energy-burning real estate." To what are you referring?

He bought it in 2002.

http://www.usatoday.com/weather/clim...re-solar_N.htm

He also owns a 4000 sq foot home in Arlington, Va, a San Francisco condo in the St. Regis, and the family farm in Tennessee.
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
post #25 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northgate View Post

Should he be president? Absolutely. But not at the cost of the circus to get there.

Well Hell, if we are going to get a circus anyway- and we certainly are- why not have the world's most famous EnviroMessiah show up for the center ring?
"Stand Up for Chuck"
"Stand Up for Chuck"
post #26 of 255
Gore would be a fool to run again, and he knows it. He commands more respect these days out of politics.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #27 of 255
Quote:

He bought it in 2002.

http://www.usatoday.com/weather/clim...re-solar_N.htm

He also owns a 4000 sq foot home in Arlington, Va, a San Francisco condo in the St. Regis, and the family farm in Tennessee.

E#.... you only bring up those... those.... those... facts because, well because you are anti-science, hate the planet and are a paid interest of the oil companies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outsider View Post

The scientific community would benefit from his presidency because I believe he will reinvest in biological, astronomical, environmental, energy and medical research. And his administration will not bully them like the current one has been for the past 7 years.

You are aware that all those "international relationships" have been repaired by having the leaders attempting to Bush-bash for votes gone from office right?

Then again, your rendition of international community must have meant France and Germany.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubelum View Post

Well Hell, if we are going to get a circus anyway- and we certainly are- why not have the world's most famous EnviroMessiah show up for the center ring?

EnviroMessiah... I like that. EnviroMessiah™ just for Jub.

Nick

post #28 of 255
BREAKING: SCOTUS Declares Bush the Nobel Peace Prize Winner

Quote:
Oslo: A review of the ballots in the 2007 Nobel Peace Prize has shown that George W. Bush is the winner of the 2007 Nobel Peace Prize. James Baker III has been sent by the Bush Administration to coordinate efforts on the ground. The United States Supreme Court in a surprise vote of 5 to 4 have declared George W. Bush the winner of the 2007 Nobel Peace Prize.

Justice Samuel Alito, writing for the majority, stated that "allowing Al Gore to win the 2007 Nobel Peace Prize violates the spirit and intent of the Equal Protection Clause of the United States Consitution." Justice Alito was joined in the majority decision by Justices Scalia, Thomas, Kennedy, and Chief Justice Roberts.

In a strongly worded dissenting opinion, Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg stated "This court has no jurisdiction over the Norwegian Nobel Committe and thus cannot award the 2007 Nobel Peace Prize to President George W. Bush." Ginsburg was joined in her dissent by Justices Breyer and Stevens.

In a separate Dissenting Opinion, Justice Souter wrote, "This is just stupid. I quit."

The Department of Homeland Security have now staked out Gore's Tennessee home in order to detain him until after the prize is awarded next month. James Baker III will be in attendence at the awards ceremony to receive the award in the former vice president's absence.
post #29 of 255
I'm of two minds about this. One the one mind, I think that Al Gore running could potentially function as a kind of cultural mulligana psychological re-setting of the clock. This could, of course, have world-wide implications.

On the other mind, Al Gore is a TERRIBLE candidate, and he, himself, said on Charlie Rose that he's simply not very good at politics.

OK. Maybe three minds:

If he runs, he could be like Jed Bartlett...a nobel-prize winning smart guy who becomes president.
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
post #30 of 255
Quote:

He bought it in 2002.

OK. I didn't know that.
post #31 of 255
Two minds too...

1. He would win. in. a. heartbeat.

Guiliani, Clinton, blah blah...

No one would have a chance. Bill O'reilly will finally pop that last remaining blood vessel screaming about the dangers of anyone without R at the end of their name. Ann Coulter will shave her head bald and start flashing her (assumed) vagina in the paparazzi. Obama and Hillary will start pandering to be veep...

As much as it's wishful thinking, I feel that the world might settle down and become a little more peaceful...

2. Or Gore would tell the Democratic party to go fuck itself. They threw his ass under the bus after the 2000 debacle, but the loss was largely their fault. They sucked at managing the media then and they suck at it now.

I would vote for Gore if he ran, but I personally hope he doesn't lower himself back into the cesspool that is politics after all he has accomplished.

A lot more accomplishments than anyone here in their cubicles, basements or offices has done anyway (including me).
post #32 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubelum View Post

Thanks for proving my point.
post #33 of 255
Quote:

Too friggin funny!!!
post #34 of 255
Quote:
Sometimes when people don't like the message, in this case that global warming is real, it's convenient to attack the messenger.

AG's Response

I guess we all can ASSume AG is in four homes AT THE SAME TIME!
post #35 of 255
He's still a young enough (59) to think about running in 2012 or 2016.
post #36 of 255
Just out of curiosity, how does jetting around on private planes to lecture others about buying carbon offsets contribute to world peace?
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
post #37 of 255
I really believe that some members on this board have their memories erased.

An 'error' is not the same thing as an error
post #38 of 255
Quote:

I really believe that some members on this board have their memories erased.

Yummy.

Remember, Artman, Soylent Green is PEOPLE!

I hate the poor because they cannot afford carbon offsets.
"Stand Up for Chuck"
"Stand Up for Chuck"
post #39 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northgate View Post

Thanks for proving my point.

No problem. Glad to help.
"Stand Up for Chuck"
"Stand Up for Chuck"
post #40 of 255
Quote:

An 'error' is not the same thing as an error

I can just see Billy Martin charging the umpire... " 'error', I'll show you a #*&$^ ERROR"
"Stand Up for Chuck"
"Stand Up for Chuck"
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Should Al Gore Run again ?