or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Should Al Gore Run again ?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Should Al Gore Run again ? - Page 7

post #241 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by sslarson View Post

Nah. Not really. Just having a little fun with his holiness. Just a little levity. It would be hard for me to care less about Mr. Gore...until he starts turning his little crusade into laws and mandates.

His Holiness, EnviroMessiah, I don't have a problem with, I've been known to "Nickname" my favorite punching bag from time to time but, for good reason.

All he's doing is pointing out potential problems.

If his "little crusade" means better mileage for cars, trucks, what's wrong with that?

If his "little crusade" draws attention to humankind's effect on the world environment, what's wrong with that?

I remember the controversy about acid rain.
Nay-sayers, denials etc. was the norm, and yet I'm glad saner people prevailed, the 1990 Clean Air Act, signed by Bush 1.

It created a controversy about the cost, but,
http://www.treepower.org/news/boston...pollution.html
Quote:
Under the act, one of the most ambitious environmental initiatives ever passed, Congress ordered that sulfur emissions be cut to 50 percent of 1980 levels. But Congress didn't simply mandate pollution reductions. Instead, it set an overall cap and then allowed the power companies to make deals among themselves to reduce emissions. The result is a market of ``pollution credits'' that are traded on Wall Street, a program that has created so many efficiencies that it has cost about one-10th as much as expected. The market system works so well, in fact, that President Clinton touts it as the way to tackle global warming.

If the anti-acid rain people just gave up, where would we be today, not in a very good place.

Pointing out problems doesn't make you an "environMental".

Thinking faceless corporations have your best interest at heart is Mental.
post #242 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubelum View Post

Do you not see some of the CAFE proposals as de facto banning of SUVs? This collection of fools in DC learned long ago that you do not usually have to go directly at something to ban it, you need only make it impossible, through other rules, for it to exist or be profitable.

A law saying "SUVs are illegal to manufacture" would never work. Why bother with that PR nightmare? Just push through a law that mandates a minimum 30mpg for any vehicle over 5000 pounds, for example, and PRESTO! Goal achieved.

So in a sense, it will take a long shot for an outright "ban." But a legislative ban is not necessary to manipulate the behaviour and restrict the choices available to the sheeple.

So you honestly think that a law like this wouldn't pressure the auto industry to come up with more fuel efficient designs? Hint... that's its PURPOSE! Not to restrict people's choices.
post #243 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

So what's the most "efficient" way he could travel? Obviously, unless you're being obtuse, you'll admit the fact that the most efficient way he could travel, without seriously threatening his safety or that of others, is by the most fuel-efficient private jet he can find. Name a better way. Just one.

First, it's his choice to travel so much, and you know it. He doesn't have to travel like that. He wants to. Secondly, he could take commercial flights. He could fly first class with a security team. Tell me, why could he not do that?

Quote:
The soccer mom doesn't need a Suburban. She does not.

How the hell would you know? What if she has 6 kids?

Quote:
He needs a private Jet. Period. I'd love to see you claim otherwise. And not resort to changing the topic by saying "it doesn't matter if she needs it or not" because it does matter if she needs it.

He does not need a private jet. And his jet is an older, inefficient one..at least the one he was taped getting out of, that is.

Quote:

Gore is trying to convince people who don't NEED an SUV not to drive one, and to drive something more efficient instead. He drives a Prius. I'm sure he chooses the most efficient private jet he can find under each individual situation.

Cough. See above. You're either ignorant or lying.

Quote:

Meanwhile, you call him a hypocrite for not following his suggestions for an "average" American. News flash: He's not an average American. And yes, that has everything to do with the reality of the situation.

Who cares? He's no better than any one of us. He's just got more money, which would be fine with me if he'd shut the fuck up and stop telling me how to live as he burn 1,000x more carbon than I do.

Quote:

I ask you again. If he is more energy conscious, in his action, than anyone else in his income bracket, then how is he being a hypocrite? And yes, this is a serious and important question you cannot dodge.

I don't see what income has to do with it. Income does not require someone to use fossil fuels. He chooses to. And he chooses to lecture literally the entire planet at the same time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Then you didn't read the Committee's conclusions on the matter. It was explained. You just don't accept the explanation.

Obviously, if you don't believe global warning is an addressable problem, you don't believe that slowing GW would help avoid the potential conflict caused by the economic problems associated with an environmental disaster. The Nobel Committe DOES believe GW is addressable (as do the vast majority of scientists), and that if it is not addressed, conflict will occur.

It's a stretch even if you believe GW is fact and would cause those things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

It is a fact that Arafat worked with Peres and Rabin to end the conflict, and together they saw many gains toward that end.

Just because a few fascist assholes came in and reversed all that progress, then refused to work with Arafat at all, doesn't mean that progress wasn't made at the time.

Arafat was an ardent supporter of terrorism. And he won a Nobel Peace Prize. That's really all we need to know, regardless of what kind of phony photo-op meetings and summits he attended.
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
post #244 of 255
So you're actually suggesting that Gore fly commercial. Wow. Just wow. Don't you realize the security implications of such an arrangement, not to mention convenience? What -- if he were ever elected President, do you think he should take United?

You're in complete denial that he needs to fly in a private jet.
post #245 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

Arafat was an ardent supporter of terrorism.

Is that a fact?

Please don't post opinions as facts! Thx.
post #246 of 255
Ok. This thread is never going to end.
post #247 of 255
10. He's not a cretin
9. "George W. Bush here. Congratulations on your Latin Grammy"
7. He's not an idiot
6. He's not retarded
5. He's not stupid
4. "Ann Coulter here. Any way we can blame global warming on the Jews?"
3. He's not an asshat
2. He's not a halfwit

And the number one reason Al Gore Wouldn't Run For President Next Year ...

1. "It's Cheney. Watch your back, Jack"

Top Ten Messages On Al Gore's Answering Machine

Every eye fixed itself upon him; with parted lips and bated breath the audience hung upon his words, taking no note of time, rapt in the ghastly fascinations of the tale. NOT!
Reply
Every eye fixed itself upon him; with parted lips and bated breath the audience hung upon his words, taking no note of time, rapt in the ghastly fascinations of the tale. NOT!
Reply
post #248 of 255
It's interesting to see Gore apologists fiercely defending his (massive) carbon emitting lifestyle because, he's richer than us, or because his security needs (???) are greater than ours, or because his convenience is more important than ours, or because his message and mission is more important than everyone else's.

This is all smoke and mirrors to distract from the basic fact that he (and all of his Hollywood disciples) has a (much) larger carbon footprint than average and is not only asking for but lobbying congress to forcibly constrain the carbon footprint of the rest of us through a variety of legislative mechanisms. He's more than willing to buy his way out of his "sin" and flippantly disregard the potentially negative short and long term economic consequences of his proposals (to congress).

This all stopped being about science a long time ago and became about faith. Faith in the new "religion" (environmentalism/global warming/climate change) with the "savior" (Al Gore) regularly "preaching" (Keynote presentations) to adoring "congregations" about "hell and damnation" and the "end times" (climate change consequences) that will result from our culture's rampant immorality and sin (energy consumption and usage) unless we all immediately "repent" (significantly reduce energy consumption). Al Gore is the "savior" in this new "religion" whose faults are ignored, disregarded, excused or even elevated as necessary for his "saving mission" to be accomplished. He's a little more special and important than the rest of us. He's richer. He need more security. He needs more convenient travel accomodations. He needs his various residences. His "saving message" is too important to be constrained by the limitations he seeks to put upon the rest of the world.

He's not a prophet. He's not a genius. He's not a savior. He's a rock star plain and simple. He's a politician with his own pet "chicken little" scenario that happens to be in vogue at the moment and he's getting all of the accolades. Good for him. The worst part of it is that he's got a whole bunch of people bamboozled into (fiercely) defending his hypocrisy.
post #249 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by @_@ Artman View Post

Ok. This thread is never going to end.

At least not until Al runs.
post #250 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by sslarson View Post

Yadda, Bu-u-u-u-rp, Yadda, Fr-a-a-a-ap, Yadda, apologists ...

... you know this.
Every eye fixed itself upon him; with parted lips and bated breath the audience hung upon his words, taking no note of time, rapt in the ghastly fascinations of the tale. NOT!
Reply
Every eye fixed itself upon him; with parted lips and bated breath the audience hung upon his words, taking no note of time, rapt in the ghastly fascinations of the tale. NOT!
Reply
post #251 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

So you're actually suggesting that Gore fly commercial. Wow. Just wow. Don't you realize the security implications of such an arrangement, not to mention convenience? What -- if he were ever elected President, do you think he should take United?

You're in complete denial that he needs to fly in a private jet.

Exactly. And the minute a commercial flight is delayed by Gore's secret service apparatus, and some passengers bitch and moan about the delays, and the so-called liberal media puts a front-page article on the cover of the New York Times about how Gore is stalling flights...guess who will be the first to start a thread shaking their head and tsk tsk'ing... I'll give you three guesses and the first two don't count.
"The selfishness of Ayn Rand capitalism is the equivalent of intellectual masturbation -- satisfying in an ego-stroking way, but an ethical void when it comes to our commonly shared humanity."
Reply
"The selfishness of Ayn Rand capitalism is the equivalent of intellectual masturbation -- satisfying in an ego-stroking way, but an ethical void when it comes to our commonly shared humanity."
Reply
post #252 of 255
You gotta love a country that will not allow a potential president to run because...he's fat. That's the number one issue with almost everyone's comments, every comedian, and every yapping dog on the news circuits..."Al Gore's gotta lose weight."

Because we all know his weight affects how he thinks. Fucking idiots.
"The selfishness of Ayn Rand capitalism is the equivalent of intellectual masturbation -- satisfying in an ego-stroking way, but an ethical void when it comes to our commonly shared humanity."
Reply
"The selfishness of Ayn Rand capitalism is the equivalent of intellectual masturbation -- satisfying in an ego-stroking way, but an ethical void when it comes to our commonly shared humanity."
Reply
post #253 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northgate View Post

Because we all know his weight affects how he thinks. Fucking idiots.

Actually, it's sometimes how we think that affects our weight.
"Stand Up for Chuck"
Reply
"Stand Up for Chuck"
Reply
post #254 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by sslarson View Post

At least not until Al runs.

This thread has never really been about whether Gore should run for President.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northgate View Post

Because we all know his weight affects how he thinks.

Image has become everything in a society based largely on television and the movies.
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
Reply
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
Reply
post #255 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northgate View Post

You gotta love a country that will not allow a potential president to run because...he's fat. That's the number one issue with almost everyone's comments, every comedian, and every yapping dog on the news circuits..."Al Gore's gotta lose weight."

Because we all know his weight affects how he thinks. Fucking idiots.

The sad thing is he's not even fat! Certainly not any fatter that that sack of lard, Cheney.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Should Al Gore Run again ?