or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Who is using exclusively Mac OS X on their Mac?

Who is using exclusively Mac OS X on their Mac?

post #1 of 71
I have been since Mac OS X 10.1 came out. I installed it and haven't even booted back into Mac OS 9.2.1. Classic works fine for me too.

What's your experience?
post #2 of 71
My only experience with X so far has been playing with it at the local Apple Store. <POST STUFFING>

I'll be getting it for Christmas. The true of sign of the young geek.
post #3 of 71
At work, aye.

At home, must still use Office, but that shall change in a matter of days.

Huzzah!
post #4 of 71
I use X *almost* exclusively. I would use it 24/7 if I could but...
  • no SCSI CDR support
  • no RCA video capture or output support (ATi XClaim 128VR card)
  • Final Cut Pro

other than rebooting for those few functions, I'm X-all-the-way.

[edit]forgot about FCP

[ 11-12-2001: Message edited by: starfleetX ]</p>
post #5 of 71
I've been using it exclusevely since Sept. 29th.
post #6 of 71
[quote]Originally posted by Fran441:
<strong>What's your experience?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Have 10.1 running on my iBook a WallStreet PB and the two PMG4s we use for web design.

The webserver (until I get Lasso 5/Apache all figured out) our FileMaker servers and our two "print" design machines are still running 9.1 - 9.2.1

I couldn't be happier, really, with 10.1

Stable, fast and beautiful.

Much more usable than 9.x was at its prime already.

Even on my puny 128 meg iBook it's usable, though I would like more ram.

I love it.
- me

$me = ('Berber' + 'Carpet');
- me

$me = ('Berber' + 'Carpet');
post #7 of 71
The funny thing is that my younger brother has a DP G4/500 with 2GB RAM and LIVES in 9.2.1. I can't understand it!
post #8 of 71
Well I would but for the fact that my Epson scussi scanner isn't supported yet.
Wll I have my G5 so I am off to get a life; apart from this post...
Wll I have my G5 so I am off to get a life; apart from this post...
post #9 of 71
I have 10.1 on my iBook and haven't booted into OS 9 for about a month. I use Classic a lot still, but that should pass soon.
post #10 of 71
scsi support seems to be on the way.
post #11 of 71
At work, I sometimes use OS X with classic apps:
  • Outlook Express
  • Adobe Photoshop/ImageReady/Illustrator
  • Dreamweaver
  • Other gizmos (droprename, personal droplets, etc.)

BUT at home, i'm using exclusively Mac OS X... too bad for thoses classic apps I was used to.

[ 11-13-2001: Message edited by: Zal ]</p>
post #12 of 71
I use it quite a bit, but if I really want to get stuff done, I have to boot back into OS 9.2. 10.1 is still a little too laggy for me, but it's coming along great!
post #13 of 71
What machine are you using?
post #14 of 71
<strong>The funny thing is that my younger brother has a DP G4/500 with 2GB RAM and LIVES in 9.2.1. I can't understand it!</strong><hr></blockquote>

What's the point of having 2 GB RAM then? Mac OS 9.x doesn't recognize it!

Yes - I'm in OS X full time, using classic for such app as NTK, of course!
post #15 of 71
Two apps that are stopping me to use OSX full time

Photoshop
Final Cut Pro

After Effects is okay under Classic but of course if the native version comes I will get it anyway
Mac Pro 2.66, 5GB RAM, 250+120 HD, 23" Cinema Display
MacBook 1.83GHz, 2GB RAM
Mac Pro 2.66, 5GB RAM, 250+120 HD, 23" Cinema Display
MacBook 1.83GHz, 2GB RAM
post #16 of 71
I am using OS X exclusively on my iMac (1999) and iBook (2001). I was only using Classic for support of my Epson printer. Well, now that Epson has come around, I don't even need Classic!

I'm even considering Office v.X, but AppleWorks is fine for now.
post #17 of 71
I've been useing OS X exclusivly almost since PB I only boot into 9.2.1 for Unreal Tounement.
iMac DV SE Slot-Loading DVD 500Mhz 384MB RAM OS 10.1
<a href="http://homepage.mac.com/alphamatrix" target="_blank">http://homepage.mac.com/alphamatrix</a>
iMac DV SE Slot-Loading DVD 500Mhz 384MB RAM OS 10.1
<a href="http://homepage.mac.com/alphamatrix" target="_blank">http://homepage.mac.com/alphamatrix</a>
post #18 of 71
JWPepper if the Epson SCSI scanner you have is a perfection 1200S it looks like its never going to be supported in OSX,that is what I have.The drivers are actually written by Adaptec and Epson is blaming them.Needless to say I am pissed at Epson and I am looking at other companies to supply my next scanner
post #19 of 71
Been using OS 10 exclusively since the Public Beta came out-- when I reinstalled 10.1 back in October I didn't even load a copy of Classic onto my machine!
post #20 of 71
Actually, Mac OS 9.2.1 seems to 'recognize' the 2 GB of RAM fine. Whether it can use that much is another story.
post #21 of 71
I forgot to post my experience. Everything's running great on my iBook and 10.1 is SOOO much better than 10.0.x.
post #22 of 71
I'm generally using Mac OS X full-time. It runs very well on my PowerBook G4.

What I'm really excited about is not using Classic so much soon... In a few days Office v. X will be here .
post #23 of 71
Exclusively on my TiBook 500 with 512MB RAM. However, it goes without saying that I'd like Photoshop instead of Graphic Converter.
post #24 of 71
Have you used the Word X Test drive? It should give you a pretty 'full' experience, no?
post #25 of 71
Up until about 2 weeks ago i was using X exclusively (since the release of 10.0).

But for the last 2 weeks i've been working on a website and have been using PS and GoLive, they both work in classic, but i needed to get a lot of work done, and classic isn't that snappy on my 333 iMac.

PS Its great to be back here at AI!
post #26 of 71
I am. I have been since 10.0.3. I rarely even use classic. At work... that's a different story.
post #27 of 71
When I first got X I put it on my Mom's iMac. A day later after getting the hang of the updates, installs, how to tweak things, apps and software out there, I installed it on mine. I've only booted back into OS 9 once, and that was to use Norton. Well actually twice but that was a weird accident (heh). Yay OS X!
art may imitate life, but life imitates tv.
art may imitate life, but life imitates tv.
post #28 of 71
<strong>Have you used the Word X Test drive? It should give you a pretty 'full' experience, no?</strong><hr></blockquote>

The only problem with that is that you can't print.
post #29 of 71
For the last few weeks (since 10.1) I have been using OS/X exclusivily on my Ti G4 with the exception of office. I'm changing that though since I just ordered my copy of Office v.x

I do all my software development, documentation, etc. on it!! Very happy.
post #30 of 71
Can't do anything I need to in X.

X.1 Looks pretty and all but with no Protools (therefore no audio) and no aurora fuse video support (apparently that's never going to happen) I'm going to be in 9 for a quite a while yet.
post #31 of 71
Print? Who wants to print?
post #32 of 71
<strong>What machine are you using?</strong><hr></blockquote>

I'm using a 400 mhz iMac with 192 MB RAM
post #33 of 71
Here at home on my iMac, I've been using OS X for about 4-5 months. Needless to say, once 10.1 came out and X finally felt like a "real", complete OS, it's all I run on both my home iMac and my G4 at work.

Of course, at work, using QuarkXPress, Photoshop, etc., I'm in Classic quite a bit, but everything else is in X (surfing, e-mail, iTunes, various utilities and apps).

Same for at home, although with Illustrator 10 now out, I hardly EVER launch Classic at home.

I am, however, waiting for a font management utility that's as transparent and easy to set up and use as ATM Deluxe. That's the only thing I'm missing right now.
post #34 of 71
I would say that I use OS X 10.1 in spirts. Because I do a lot of work that requires OS 9.2.1 natively, I go back and forth. Because a video project may take time to complete, I will use OS 9.2.1 almost all the time. Final Cut Pro won't open in Classic mode.

I think that I have been torn apart by the jilting experience of having to adapt to the small things of both OS's. For example, in IE for OS 9, download manager is Cmd-M, whereas on OS X, it's command-4. Also, creating a new folder in the finder, requires shift in addition to the cmd-N.

Otherwise, I can't disparage OS X, because it is so promising. Yeah, it could be a tad faster. I'm running a PBG4 at 400MHz, and I would say that OS X runs equally as well on my iMac 500 at work. Although I see slightly more of the rainbow cursor on the iMac.
You think Im an arrogant [expletive] who thinks hes above the law, and I think youre a slime bucket who gets most of his facts wrong. Steve Jobs
You think Im an arrogant [expletive] who thinks hes above the law, and I think youre a slime bucket who gets most of his facts wrong. Steve Jobs
post #35 of 71
Once Photoshop, FCP, and GoLive come out for OS X, I can use it without Classic.
post #36 of 71
I use OSX exclusively on my iBook but not my G4. Digital Audio just ain't happening in X yet.
post #37 of 71
I'm using X fulltime, and I have since 10.1 came out. I don't even have 9.x installed right now (reformated my hd last Saturday night). I'm not missing 9.x so far!
Goats and Monkeys!
Goats and Monkeys!
post #38 of 71
i've been using os x non stop since the beta! there were some rough times, but she's finally maturing and I couldn't imagine holding out or going back. i do everything from basic internet surfing to office stuff to building ecommerce websites for local companies in my spare time. can't imagine a better environment to work in.

[ 11-12-2001: Message edited by: dillyo1001 ]</p>
post #39 of 71
Me.

Now if Epson would only release freakin' drivers for my EPL-5700i laser printer!

Escher
"The only laptop computer that's useful is the one you have with you."
Until we get a 3 lbs sub-PowerBook, the 12-inch PowerBook will do.
"The only laptop computer that's useful is the one you have with you."
Until we get a 3 lbs sub-PowerBook, the 12-inch PowerBook will do.
post #40 of 71
OS 9 about 30%
OS 10.1 about 70% of the time

9 for games, SETI and other things.

I love how the DVD player in X is better than 9.....no more audio sync probs.

[ 11-13-2001: Message edited by: gumby5647 ]</p>
Apple Computer: The company you love to hate, and hate to love...
Apple Computer: The company you love to hate, and hate to love...
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Who is using exclusively Mac OS X on their Mac?