They can take all the time they want to get the Finder up to speed, I don't really care about it. I think that usability and consistency is far more important:
1. When I hide the toolbar I want it to STAY HIDDEN! Holy crap this one bugs me! It just pops up at random times!
2. When I have my desktop hard disk set to open into column view when double-clicked, the system should know if the window is already open! Double clicking on the hard disk again should activate the open window, not open another one! Granted, this only happens when I have traversed into the file system inside that window, but it is the same window!
3. The Finder needs to be smart enough to tell the difference between folders and packages, frameworks, etc. Folders cannot have filename extensions and thus should not have them hidden, ever!!
4. Drag and drop needs to be implemented system-wide. If I drag an item onto a docked folder I should be able to traverse the pop-up menu and drop it into the hierarchy somewhere. Similarly if a finder window is minimized I should be able to add items to it by drag and drop into the dock.
5. Multi-threading. Duh.
6. The window-zoom widget needs to be fixed. The OS9 windows resize perfectly to fit all of the items, while the Finder leaves white space in strange locations, activates scroll bars when inappropriate, etc.
7. Columns in column view need to remember their respective sizes. Each folder should have its own column size that is used for all column view windows. Alternately, each column should be automatically sized to reveal the longest file name and allow resizing from there (and should honor the new size).
8. When a large list view is open, typing the first few letters of the filename needs to update the scroll thumb if necessary.
9. When Calculate Folder Sizes is on, calculate all of the folder sizes in the list! Currently the finder waits until a folder scrolls into view to even start the calculation.
10. Need to be multiple inspector windows ala MacOS 9.
11. Inspector window needs to actually inspect the contents to report an accurate size. Currently if a list view has decided that a folder is zero K and then is updated with items, the Inspector also reports zero K, even after the list window is closed and re-opened. WTF???
Jeez, there are just so many problems with the Finder that I really don't see the point in continuing!!!
FIX THE FINDER!!!