or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › Brain test illusion

Brain test illusion

post #1 of 50
Picked this up at NS, its an optical illusion, that supposedly tells you which sie of your brain dominates your thinking.

http://www.news.com.au/perthnow/stor...005375,00.html

Well, she spins clockwise for me, and try as I might I cant get her to reverse direction, though if you study the depth positioning of the silhouette - of the feet especially - (which is why the lower foot dips, so that you cant get any depth clues off of the rotating leg), you can see why it would be possible for her to spin the other way if you can convince yourself that it really is possible.

So what direction does she spin for you?

Incidently, whomever modelled this in 3d must have originally set up a timeline of keyframes for her to rotate in one specific direction - afterall you cant rotate a model in opposite directions at the same time - and I'd hazard a guess that originally, the model spun clockwise, because in my guess, thats a more ingrained natural rotation for the mind than anti-clockwise.
post #2 of 50
For me she is upside-down rotating towards me on the vertical access - wtf???

Should I be worried?
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
post #3 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by segovius View Post

For me she is upside-down rotating towards me on the vertical access - wtf???

Should I be worried?

[mother] Tarquin. Come down from the ceiling, AT ONCE! [/mother]
post #4 of 50
AH! I can make her switch at will. If I look at her, she spins clockwise, but if I zone-out and look just below her foot, she goes the other way! Blinking seems to send her clockwise again.
post #5 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcUK View Post

AH! I can make her switch at will. If I look at her, she spins clockwise, but if I zone-out and look just below her foot, she goes the other way! Blinking seems to send her clockwise again.

Maybe you swing both ways?
post #6 of 50
Quote:

i can make her change too. The first time i looked she was going clock wise. Then as i concentrated on her feet she switched. She looked like she was going to fall and then she switches.
MacBook Pro
2.2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
2GB 667 DDR2 SDRAM - 2x1GB
120GB Serial ATA Drive@5400rpm
SuperDrive 8x
15" Glossy Widescreen Display

with a wireless Apple keyboard

and

iPod Touch
8GB
MacBook Pro
2.2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
SuperDrive 8x

and

iPod Touch
8GB
post #7 of 50
Quote:

well, its on my list of 101 things to do before I die. Before that though, I want a gangbang with 10 lesbians in Prague!
post #8 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich-Myster View Post

i can make her change too. The first time i looked she was going clock wise. Then as i concentrated on her feet she switched. She looked like she was going to fall and then she switches.

notice the shadow? , im sure theres a clue in there.

I've noticed that if I close the page and wait 30 secs before opening it again, she always defaults to clockwise, and then I have to work to make it change.
post #9 of 50
Quote:

notice the shadow? , im sure theres a clue in there.

I've noticed that if I close the page and wait 30 secs before opening it again, she always defaults to clockwise, and then I have to work to make it change.

if you look at the shadow your brain realises that going clock wise is wrong so it switches. I can basically make it switch which ever way i want now. But for some reason i can't keep my eyes off her higher regions D:

p.s. it's not a fake. i looked at it the same time my mother was and she saw it going counter clockwise and i saw it going clock wise.
MacBook Pro
2.2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
SuperDrive 8x

and

iPod Touch
8GB
MacBook Pro
2.2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
SuperDrive 8x

and

iPod Touch
8GB
post #10 of 50
I can switch it at will... but because I am more conscious of what I need to do to convince my brain it is moving in the opposite direction, I can tell you that it is the model which you place upon the rotating object that makes it appear to rotate one way or the other. If you can model the general mass moving one direction versus the other, the girl will change direction...
"In a republic, voters may vote for the leaders they want, but they get the leaders they deserve."
"In a republic, voters may vote for the leaders they want, but they get the leaders they deserve."
post #11 of 50
Also, there is vertical symmetry (when her heel hits itself think of a horizontal line drawn at that point). Also if this were a real person their levitating and their CG in not over the point of rotation, so she wouldn't be in either static or dynamic equilibrium. But I have just the "tool" to fix that!
Every eye fixed itself upon him; with parted lips and bated breath the audience hung upon his words, taking no note of time, rapt in the ghastly fascinations of the tale. NOT!
Every eye fixed itself upon him; with parted lips and bated breath the audience hung upon his words, taking no note of time, rapt in the ghastly fascinations of the tale. NOT!
post #12 of 50
I was trying to figure out what way was clockwise and then the motherfucker started going around the other direction.

AGH
post #13 of 50
i think she rotates clockwise more often though.

Which makes me an awesome right-brained physics grad student.
post #14 of 50
wait! wtf is clockwise anyway?

It really depends on how you look at it.
post #15 of 50
um, exactly?
post #16 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardeeharhar View Post

um, exactly?

Looking from the top (head to heel) down CW is right to left from our POV, Looking from the bottom (heel to head) up CW is left to right from our POV.

Now does anyone know of a clockmaker who makes a analog clock with the hands and numbers going in reverse? This is a serious question, I'm just curious.
post #17 of 50
Quote:

Or at least "rotate" both ways.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #18 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulcrusher View Post

wait! wtf is clockwise anyway?

It really depends on how you look at it.

If you don't know what an analog clock is, this test could drive you mad.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #19 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by franksargent View Post

Looking from the top (head to heel) down CW is right to left from our POV, Looking from the bottom (heel to head) up CW is left to right from our POV.

Now does anyone know of a clockmaker who makes a analog clock with the hands and numbers going in reverse? This is a serious question, I'm just curious.

There are novelty items, yes...
post #20 of 50
post #21 of 50
Quote:

I can switch it at will... but because I am more conscious of what I need to do to convince my brain it is moving in the opposite direction, I can tell you that it is the model which you place upon the rotating object that makes it appear to rotate one way or the other. If you can model the general mass moving one direction versus the other, the girl will change direction...

Yes, and it has nothing to do with being "left-brained" or "right-brained." I don't even think there is such a thing.
post #22 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRussell View Post

Yes, and it has nothing to do with being "left-brained" or "right-brained." I don't even think there is such a thing.

you're right, the 'sides of the brain thing' is just urban mythology. I wonder who looked at the list and decided not to post their direction?
post #23 of 50
soulcrusher: right-hand-rule, you physics grad student, you. Positive is anti-clockwise. Know your cross-product & curl.

I look at this damn thing, and it's nothing but clockwise: no luck whatsoever in changing directions by will, and no flip-flopping as I think about it. I also can't do "Magic-Eye." I've suspected for a while that I am right-brain dominant. I intentionally didn't read the description until after I looked, just to avoid any kind of influence. I sent a link to the other members of my immediate family, who are stereotypical left-brainers. I am curious to see what they report.
Cat: the other white meat
post #24 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splinemodel View Post

soulcrusher: right-hand-rule, you physics grad student, you. Positive is anti-clockwise. Know your cross-product & curl.

I look at this damn thing, and it's nothing but clockwise: no luck whatsoever in changing directions by will, and no flip-flopping as I think about it. I also can't do "Magic-Eye." I've suspected for a while that I am right-brain dominant. I intentionally didn't read the description until after I looked, just to avoid any kind of influence. I sent a link to the other members of my immediate family, who are stereotypical left-brainers. I am curious to see what they report.

I remember magic eye books from the early 90's. Once you mastered it, you could see it really easily. But you had to stop because it gave me a pretty bad headache after a while!

Infact, i just looked on google, and there are magic eye images all over the place
post #25 of 50
Quote:

I remember magic eye books from the early 90's. Once you mastered it, you could see it really easily. But you had to stop because it gave me a pretty bad headache after a while!

When they were the in-thing, I was of the age when life isn't so busy. What this means is that I had a lot of opportunities to work at it, but Magic-Eye was not to be. Even with this dancer, if I fade out or use peripheral vision, I still see the frames and not the illusion. The part of my brain that adjusts observations to accord with sensible reality is totally busted.
post #26 of 50
I couldn't even imagine this going counterclockwise.

So, I opened it (in Preview) and scrolled it back and forth. First thing I noticed was that it was an authentic illusion - to me it looked like clockwise motion to both directions.

One frame in the gif isn't a proper silhouette, it has one leg in front of another. You can see it as a little flash in the thigh region while the picture is animating in a browser. When I stared at that still picture for a while and then started onwards manually frame by frame, I saw counterclockwise.

Ergo: the model the illusion is done with is actually going counterclockwise.
post #27 of 50
She's on her left leg when going clockwise, and her right leg when going counter clockwise.

I'm afraid I don't see any illusion, she really does change directions.
post #28 of 50
Turns out I can easily see her going counterclockwise if I cover the lower part of the picture.

And once I see it, it stays easily even if I cover the picture for a good while, read something in another browser tab etc.
post #29 of 50
Now this is totally weird:

First time it was straight up counter-clockwise.

Then today I saw it and it was clockwise.

Then I looked away and read the text, looked back up and it was counter-clockwise.

WTF.
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
post #30 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

Now this is totally weird:

First time it was straight up counter-clockwise.

Then today I saw it and it was clockwise.

Then I looked away and read the text, looked back up and it was counter-clockwise.

WTF.

The lady on the screen is trying to tell you something.

p.s. i can make it spin both way before she makes a complete rotation. But perdominantly when i first take a look at her she's going clock wise.
MacBook Pro
2.2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
SuperDrive 8x

and

iPod Touch
8GB
MacBook Pro
2.2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
SuperDrive 8x

and

iPod Touch
8GB
post #31 of 50
Animated GIF with 34 frames, so divide up your analog clock (360 degrees) by 34.

Now in addition, superposition her apparent vertical motion, to her apparent rotational motion.

Now make her into a silhouette, shade the interior uniformly (black in this case), and since she is a bilateral creature (vertical symmetry) this creates an ambiguity in her true handedness.

Solution, take 34 cameras placed uniformly around a horizontal plane, superposition a vertical (say H/2 cosine theta + arbitrary constant not divisible by 34) spreading function to create appearance of vertical motion, synchronize and take said 34 pictures at the exact same time.

Have a nice day!

PS - I sure would have liked to have been there for the photo shoot!
post #32 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by franksargent View Post

Animated GIF with 34 frames, so divide up your analog clock (360 degrees) by 34.

Now in addition, superposition her apparent vertical motion, to her apparent rotational motion.

Now make her into a silhouette, shade the interior uniformly (black in this case), and since she is a bilateral creature (vertical symmetry) this creates an ambiguity in her true handedness.

Solution, take 34 cameras placed uniformly around a horizontal plane, superposition a vertical (say H/2 cosine theta) spreading function to create appearance of vertical motion, synchronize and take said 34 pictures at the exact same time.

Have a nice day!

urika
MacBook Pro
2.2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
SuperDrive 8x

and

iPod Touch
8GB
MacBook Pro
2.2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
SuperDrive 8x

and

iPod Touch
8GB
post #33 of 50
It reminds me of the hollow face illusion. You can find instructions to make this dragon illusion too. I've made several and they create the illusion pretty well.

(It still has nothing to do with left-brain/right-brain though. )
post #34 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRussell View Post

It reminds me of the hollow face illusion. You can find instructions to make this dragon illusion too. I've made several and they create the illusion pretty well.

(It still has nothing to do with left-brain/right-brain though. )

Agreed, if you look at that list it appears rather sexist, an "emo" side and an "anal" side, males are "supposed" to be more "analytical" while females are "supposed" to be more "emotional" and now I have to check my privates because I have attributes that fall into both columns, looking down now ...

... yup, I'm a hermaphrodite! I think it's about time I go and eff myself!
post #35 of 50
Quote:

well, its on my list of 101 things to do before I die. Before that though, I want a gangbang with 10 lesbians in Prague!

To swing both ways they need to be shemales instead of lesbians.
post #36 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gon View Post

I couldn't even imagine this going counterclockwise.

So, I opened it (in Preview) and scrolled it back and forth. First thing I noticed was that it was an authentic illusion - to me it looked like clockwise motion to both directions.

One frame in the gif isn't a proper silhouette, it has one leg in front of another. You can see it as a little flash in the thigh region while the picture is animating in a browser. When I stared at that still picture for a while and then started onwards manually frame by frame, I saw counterclockwise.

Ergo: the model the illusion is done with is actually going counterclockwise.

That is frame 13, but I do think it is a static image taken from multiple cameras, and they didn't fully edit the silhouette/black out process properly in that frame, if they had, you wouldn't be able to discern a definitive "direction of rotation."
post #37 of 50
It's probably illustrated using a 3D graphics program. There is only so much tweaking you can do to the illumination to get an image useful for this sort of test... and you have to create it to rotate one direction or another...
post #38 of 50
Quote:

It's probably illustrated using a 3D graphics program. There is only so much tweaking you can do to the illumination to get an image useful for this sort of test... and you have to create it to rotate one direction or another...

Yes, of course that would be much easier, can't tell by the size of the animation, but it is rather "lifelike" considering the proportions. And yes, the illumination would be critical if this were a real person.
post #39 of 50
Hmmm, what if she rotates back and forth, facing away from me? This happened while concentrating and trying to make it go counter-clockwise.

It seems like the shadow will only be valid for one direction of rotation though right? Clockwise. Unless that is, the model is being viewed from below a transparent floor?
post #40 of 50
Huh. At first she was rotating counter-clockwise, then when I concentrated on her feet, she changed to clockwise.

And now she won't change back. Which is wierd.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AppleOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › Brain test illusion