or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Nokia and their iPhone 'killer'

Nokia and their iPhone 'killer'

post #1 of 56
Just shown off in London... this may be what I'm REALLY looking for.

An 'iPhone' that actually allows you to use it to its full potential (like 3rd party apps, Bluetooth that works, etc)

It looks unfortunately a lot thicker and there is no price yet (although I wouldn't be surprised if it was 400-600euro range) and no real date.

Maybe Apple will have a really fully featured iPhone by then or what

Check video: http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/news/...e_Launched.php

Deets:
Nokia is showing off their new S60 Touch Interface at the Symbian Smartphone Show today. Unlike their last attempt, this effort was demonstrated on a more Nokia-like concept device. The touch-interface supports haptic feedback and accepts both finger and stylus inputs depending upon the display technology used. Feast your eyes on the video after the break until all the details become available.

Update: The press release is out and with it, more information about the new S60 software: existing S60 3rd Edition apps will run on touch-enabled devices unmodified (but can be further enhanced, natch); generic proximity and light sensors supported; a UI Accelerator Toolkit enables "impressive" graphical effects; and Flash Video will be supported in the S60 web browser. Available to S60 device manufacturers "during 2008." A bit more specificity please, Nokia?

I'm having deja-vu and amnesia at the same time. I think I've forgotten this before.
I'm having deja-vu and amnesia at the same time. I think I've forgotten this before.
post #2 of 56
And, yeay, it even has Flash Lite 3 running on it... and Haptic Feedback! cool...

FYI, Nokia press release: http://www.nokia.com/A4136001?newsid=1160272
post #3 of 56
Looks like Apple may have pointed the direction only to see it co-opted by someone else. Maybe now, Apple will be a tad more responsive on new applications for the iPhone. What I will like about the Nokia is they will probable unlease all sorts of 3rd party applications.

It is refreshing to know that not all manufacturers want to control those who buy their products. I think Apple needs competition badly....
post #4 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by tutumiles1 View Post

Looks like Apple may have pointed the direction only to see it co-opted by someone else. Maybe now, Apple will be a tad more responsive on new applications for the iPhone. What I will like about the Nokia is they will probable unlease all sorts of 3rd party applications.

It is refreshing to know that not all manufacturers want to control those who buy their products. I think Apple needs competition badly....

Apple needs competition badly?

The iPhone has been on the market for what.. 15 weeks now? Apple has 15 freaking weeks in the cut-throat business of cell phone manufacturing and you think it's position is being co-opted?

Damn. You sure give Apple more credit than I do. I bet Steve wishes he had the control you obviously attribute to him.
post #5 of 56
Was Nokia ever considered innovative?
post #6 of 56
I think Apple will be in for a tough time trying to beat whatever Nokia bring out with the iphone sucessor let alone the iphone current.

With full flash support on browsing and the gestures and accelerometer we saw on the previous video promo it seems Nokia designed what Apple really should have.

If theres one thing im happy for with the iphone release, its so Nokia got into gear by geting ready for this.

Key highlights for S60 touch interface will include:
It will be able to support devices with and without keyboard, stylus and finger inputs
It will provide tactile feedback via haptics technologies
The interface will be multilingual with support Asian languages as well
Advanced sensor framework and UI acceleration toolkit will be provided for developers for easier adoption
Multiple gestures will be supported. Possibility for users and developers to customize them provided
It will be backwards compatible with older S60 applications
Embedded Flash Lite 3 for desktop like video experience
First products with touch support will become available in 2008

Im so looking forward to this. I was tossing up between the N95 8gb and the iphone but this is clearly the way to go. I dont see how the iphone can compete with such a device on any level now to be honest.
post #7 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by bavlondon2 View Post

I dont see how the iphone can compete with such a device on any level now to be honest.

Really? Because, you see, there's this really cool feature of the iPhone called 'Software Update'. And as far as the hardware is concerned, I think you can bet that there will be some changes there too.
post #8 of 56
Quote:
I think Apple will be in for a tough time trying to beat whatever Nokia bring out with the iphone sucessor let alone the iphone current.

Unless you have some special access into Apple's development labs how could you possibly know this.

Quote:
Key highlights for S60 touch interface will include:

The feature list is not the only variable that determines a good device. How well does the phone work and how easy is it to use?
post #9 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by darngooddesign View Post

Was Nokia ever considered innovative?

Are you serious??

Until the iPhone, Nokia was the most user friendly UI of any phone. In my opinion it was the most Mac-like...

Anyway, there's a ton of stuff they've come up with over the decades..
post #10 of 56
Double Post.
post #11 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZO View Post

An 'iPhone' that actually allows you to use it to its full potential (like 3rd party apps, Bluetooth that works, etc)

Funny.

Well, the iPhone is here and now.

As far as iPhone utilizing it's full potential... You don't actually think the iPhone will remain static, do you?

http://developer.apple.com/iphone/
post #12 of 56
Bla bla bla, we've heard it all before. But nothing has even come close to offering the iPhone experience let alone 'killing' it. Nokia have been knocking out crap bits of plastic for years and I don't expect this to be any different. It may have some cool features listed on paper, but when you come to use it, it will be a shite site worse than you expected.
post #13 of 56
I hope all the comments about the iPhone and its ability to stay in the fight are correct. I will mention however that regardless of what is possible out of the Apple "Think Tank", they will not be able to have a closed system that beats all companies and ALL third party applications.

I regularly get updates from Handago because I purchased software for several of the SmartPhone PC phone devices I have had in the past. Some of those third party applications are outstanding. The leading reason why I was excited for the iPhone and purchased one is because i have a MacBookPro and the syncing was always problematic. It was at all that those third party applications and the other devices were interesting and good devices.

I am pulling for Apple but find some of the approaches witnessed over the "iPhone weeks of existence" to be paternalistic and not always user and first adapter friendly... The battle is now enjoined and we will all get the chance to observe.
post #14 of 56
Quote:
they will not be able to have a closed system that beats all companies and ALL third party applications.

I agree with this. I don't believe it wise for Apple to block 3rd party apps indefinitely. I believe this will eventually happen, Apple is moving iPhone development in stages. Most likely only selected apps that meet Apple's approval. Which is fine with me as it assures the apps will be of proper quality.
post #15 of 56
Tenobell,
I sure hope you are correct. This is a pivotal time for Apple. It kinda reminds you of the launching of Apple and MicroSoft. One was open and the other closed. Jobs gets the chance at it once again.

While I am sure Apple has their reasons, I simply seek the ability to do with my purchase as I please and I will surely give third parties a shot... They deserve it and it is the entrepreneurial spirit that we all admire.
post #16 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Unless you have some special access into Apple's development labs how could you possibly know this.

The feature list is not the only variable that determines a good device. How well does the phone work and how easy is it to use?

Well firstly there are of course the 2 videos, the first being the one we have seen yesterday and then this one being this one which right away shows off an accelerometer as well as a gesture for veiwing pics in the same manner as which you can on the iphone.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=OljdtbUo2Pk

Secondly well look at what specs Nokia include in their high end devices in 2007. Its quite plain to see that no other manufacturer offers as much in one package as Nokia can do.

5MP Camera with AF
VGA Video capture up to 30fps
WIFI 802.11b/g
HSDPA
GPS

and they have now said these devices will have full flash support, something the iphone should have really had.

Based on these factors its really more of a case of when rather than if. And when do I predict such a device will be announced. I predict either in December or January. Im not sure if they will wait for Jobs to announce the iphone2 before making their own move but it will be ready for release by the time the iphone 2 hits the stores which should be q3 08.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPeon View Post

Funny.

Well, the iPhone is here and now.

As far as iPhone utilizing it's full potential... You don't actually think the iPhone will remain static, do you?

http://developer.apple.com/iphone/

Thats quite a contradictory statement there. One one hand you are rubbishing any potnetial devices from Nokia stating the iphone is "here and now" yet you ask for time in the hope that iphone will allow 3rd party applications?

I remember all of you saying before "they will add video capture via a software update" or "they will allow mp3s to be used as ringtones with the 1st update".

Well its here and now and where is it?

Quote:

I agree with this. I don't believe it wise for Apple to block 3rd party apps indefinitely. I believe this will eventually happen, Apple is moving iPhone development in stages. Most likely only selected apps that meet Apple's approval. Which is fine with me as it assures the apps will be of proper quality.

Why do you not think this will happen? They still use the same closed itunes system for transfering of content onto ipods and the iphone so there is nothing really to suggest they will allow 3rd party apps other than cries of "becasue i want it" on forums.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpinDrift View Post

Bla bla bla, we've heard it all before. But nothing has even come close to offering the iPhone experience let alone 'killing' it. Nokia have been knocking out crap bits of plastic for years and I don't expect this to be any different. It may have some cool features listed on paper, but when you come to use it, it will be a shite site worse than you expected.

A fanboyistic statement if ive ever heard one. Whilst you all are commenting on 1,000,000 iphones sold Nokia sold more that that in shorter time and they were only low end handsets.

I think you should really give Nokia more credibility. Sure they have had some issues inn the past but its not like the iphone doesnt right? I mean do I really need to go into detail on whats missing from the iphone.

If you put the features of the N95 in with touch screen device you have one hell of a phone on your hands. By the way when have Nokia said it all before? Up until now the only other hint we have had was that other video showing an accelerometer and finger slide gesture at the N81 announcment?

I think a lot of you need to open your eyes to the fact that the iphone isnt as revolutionary as you were fooled into thinking. Nokia have been making phones for years and they are the market share leaders, if you think one severley feature lacking phone with a fancy UI from Apple will be enough to rubbish what Nokia are capable of then im afraid you need a reality check. You can all bask in the fact that the iphone still has that wow factor for now but how long do you expect that to last once Nokia properly announce their touch screen range.

Ill leave you with one final article. Its on ScreenPlay and FreeWay-technologies,which will be used in Symbian.

http://www.symbianone.com/content/view/4952/1/

In particular here is just one thing they have already managed to do relativly quick.

"To demonstrate this technology Symbian has created a couple of applications. One shows a cover-flow album selector, which was written in under two weeks using OpenVG. Over the cover-flow a scrolling ticker is displayed as well as a semi-transparent incoming call notification, all while the cover-flow view is still flipping over"
post #17 of 56
Quote:

In particular here is just one thing they have already managed to do relativly quick.

"To demonstrate this technology Symbian has created a couple of applications. One shows a cover-flow album selector, which was written in under two weeks using OpenVG. Over the cover-flow a scrolling ticker is displayed as well as a semi-transparent incoming call notification, all while the cover-flow view is still flipping over"

WOW that's exactly what I want in a phone! Oh wait I already got it, yeah exactly what you described. You said iPhone isn't as revolutionary as we thought while posting links to others progress in copying it. I think what you meant to say is Apple doesn't have the marketshare Nokia does. Referencing someones progress to a vapourware phone with vapourware software which is blatantly ripping off the iPhone by specifically referencing a set of features the iPhone already has and does, while telling me Apple isn't as revolutionary as we thought? Whiskey Tango Foxtrot my friend. How much use are you getting out of a blog update to vapourware? Probably not as much as my iPhone is giving me.

Don't forget show and tell is nice and all but Apple has a few hundred patents on the iphone including touch gestures. Showing concepts is one thing, selling and not getting sued into the next life is another.

Might want to check this link out too...

http://www.tuaw.com/2006/09/12/cover...oked-familiar/

Here's an interesting tidbit...

"We are pleased to announce that all CoverFlow technology and intellectual property was recently sold to Apple. It has been incorporated into the latest version of iTunes."

Doesn't look like coverflow will be found on a non Apple device for quite some time.
post #18 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notorious View Post

WOW that's exactly what I want in a phone! Oh wait I already got it, yeah exactly what you described. You said iPhone isn't as revolutionary as we thought while posting links to others progress in copying it. I think what you meant to say is Apple doesn't have the marketshare Nokia does. Referencing someones progress to a vapourware phone with vapourware software which is blatantly ripping off the iPhone by specifically referencing a set of features the iPhone already has and does, while telling me Apple isn't as revolutionary as we thought? Whiskey Tango Foxtrot my friend. How much use are you getting out of a blog update to vapourware? Probably not as much as my iPhone is giving me.

Don't forget show and tell is nice and all but Apple has a few hundred patents on the iphone including touch gestures. Showing concepts is one thing, selling and not getting sued into the next life is another.

Might want to check this link out too...

http://www.tuaw.com/2006/09/12/cover...oked-familiar/

Here's an interesting tidbit...

"We are pleased to announce that all CoverFlow technology and intellectual property was recently sold to Apple. It has been incorporated into the latest version of iTunes."

Doesn't look like coverflow will be found on a non Apple device for quite some time.

Didnt Apple say the same thing with multitouch and gestures but only a month or 2 ago Nokia demonstrated the picture finger slider motion on a phone?

As for vapourware several of these upcoming devices do exists and I happen to know of someone who has even tested one of them. I urge you to keep this thread bookmarked as in the next 2 months you will be eating those words my friend. Watch this space....
post #19 of 56
Quote:

Didnt Apple say the same thing with multitouch and gestures but only a month or 2 ago Nokia demonstrated the picture finger slider motion on a phone?

As for vapourware several of these upcoming devices do exists and I happen to know of someone who has even tested one of them. I urge you to keep this thread bookmarked as in the next 2 months you will be eating those words my friend. Watch this space....

Ok first thing demonstrating is fine. Companies do it all the time. Really I'm serious all the time. They demonstrate what's possible on a platform to get developers interested. Doesn't mean it's legal to do and that's what must be sorted before bringing a product to market. What you are posting as proof of an iminent release is nothing more than marketing fluff for symbian os and nokia's future phones. Showing what's possible doesn't mean it's possible to legally release it. The site your posting on has examples of this all the time.

Here's an easy link of this in the wild.

http://www.engadget.com/2007/09/20/i...of-the-future/

http://www.neoseeker.com/news/story/7157/

Did you read that story? Does that look like an iphone? Does that mean intel is gonna launch that thing? No it's a demo to show the potential of the platform.

Intel did this a whole bunch before Apple switched making exact copies of the mac mini and powerbook to demonstrate their chips could be used.

I assure you coverflow and touch gestures and a host of other things will not show up in competitors handset in the U.S. and Europe.

Once again as well Apple is not revolutionary but your citing Nokia demonstrating Apple technology. Hmmm......
post #20 of 56
If the press release and the video are anything to go by, this appears to be Nokia's answer to PalmOS and Windows Mobile Professional (whichever one has the touchscreen support), and even Symbian with UIQ. Perhaps not an answer exactly, but an implementation of a feature.

I don't see how this is copying the iPhone OS X finger-input-based GUI. All the GUI elements in the video are for a stylus driven UI. In addition, they want to keep backwards compatibility to the 2-soft key + D-pad input type apps, so I can't imagine much changing except that a stylus or a finger can interact with existing S60 based app designs. So, I think all it is is to have a competitor to Windows Mobile phones that have touchscreen input.

None of the hallmarks of iPhone GUI design are there in the video: no large text lists, no gestures, cool icons, buttons suitable for fingers, multi-touch input (zooming in/out), etc. It's using some of the cool transition animations though.

Other that, if the video is anything to go by: small screen elements like the pull-down menu, the micro-sized QWERTY on-screen keypad (the finger based text input UI was not shown), stylus-based scrollbars, and really busy interface using questionable color combinations, it's mostly going to be the current S60 UI with a one touch interface. I can do this with my Treo 650 right now, and obviously, Windows Mobile phone users have been doing this for awhile now too.

The usage of sensors is interesting though. That could be something that is Apple-inspired. Apple didn't originate the idea, but I definitely think they reinvigorated the usage of onboard instrumentation for UI usage.

I like that Nokia is going to implement at least Flash video so that .flv files can be viewed. Something I hope Apple does as I think they've already lost this format war. Something that Jobs most be leaning pretty close to as he says Flash is a possibility for the iPhone.
post #21 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notorious View Post

Ok first thing demonstrating is fine. Companies do it all the time. Really I'm serious all the time. They demonstrate what's possible on a platform to get developers interested. Doesn't mean it's legal to do and that's what must be sorted before bringing a product to market. What you are posting as proof of an iminent release is nothing more than marketing fluff for symbian os and nokia's future phones. Showing what's possible doesn't mean it's possible to legally release it. The site your posting on has examples of this all the time.

Here's an easy link of this in the wild.

http://www.engadget.com/2007/09/20/i...of-the-future/

http://www.neoseeker.com/news/story/7157/

Did you read that story? Does that look like an iphone? Does that mean intel is gonna launch that thing? No it's a demo to show the potential of the platform.

Intel did this a whole bunch before Apple switched making exact copies of the mac mini and powerbook to demonstrate their chips could be used.

I assure you coverflow and touch gestures and a host of other things will not show up in competitors handset in the U.S. and Europe.

Once again as well Apple is not revolutionary but your citing Nokia demonstrating Apple technology. Hmmm......

There is a difference between a video of a concept interface/device and a video showing what will be coming soon. They have shown 2 videos in the last 2 months of such an interface so I doubt they would be so silly to only show these videos if they wernt going to release them
post #22 of 56
Quote:

Thats quite a contradictory statement there. One one hand you are rubbishing any potnetial devices from Nokia stating the iphone is "here and now" yet you ask for time in the hope that iphone will allow 3rd party applications?

You missed my point. How long has Nokia been making phones? How long has the iPhone been out?
post #23 of 56
Second place is just another looser. I really don't see this as an iPhone killer by any means. I think Nokia is going to remain in the same boat they are in. Waaay behind the iPhone. Apple next Gen iPhone will probably sell 3 to 4 times as many as the first one. And also have 3 to 4 times as many features as the first one, not to mention all the 3rd party apps. The iPhone2 will probably have more developers than freaking Microsoft.
onlooker

http://www.apple.com/feedback/macpro.html
onlooker

http://www.apple.com/feedback/macpro.html
post #24 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlooker View Post

Apple next Gen iPhone will probably sell 3 to 4 times as many as the first one. And also have 3 to 4 times as many features as the first one, not to mention all the 3rd party apps. The iPhone2 will probably have more developers than freaking Microsoft.

What makes you so sure of this? You would have thought that the first time tbh.
post #25 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZO View Post

Just shown off in London... this may be what I'm REALLY looking for.

Coming Feburary 2008.

Quote:
It looks unfortunately a lot thicker and there is no price yet (although I wouldn't be surprised if it was 400-600euro range) and no real date.

I'm guessing no sooner than Feburary 2008.

Hopefully Apple can avoid the Symbian-like worms/virus with their SDK.
post #26 of 56
Anyone still think this is vapourware then?
post #27 of 56
Quote:

Competition is good. The one good advantage that Apple has is that it controls all aspects of the phone in a tightly knit team. Hopefully, they have the ability to produce results as quickly as the established cell phone manufacturers. Time will tell and it will be pretty soon in this industry.
Most of us employ the Internet not to seek the best information, but rather to select information that confirms our prejudices. - Nicholas D. Kristof
Most of us employ the Internet not to seek the best information, but rather to select information that confirms our prejudices. - Nicholas D. Kristof
post #28 of 56
Quote:

Not sure what this is in response to. Has Nokia made a further announcement about ship dates?

Or does the confirmation of an iPhone SDK somehow confirm another manufacturers plans?

BTW, it seems like you might be hesitant to brand anyone a "fanboy" when you are so wildly and uncritically drooling over Nokia's "plans".
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
post #29 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by talksense101 View Post

Competition is good. The one good advantage that Apple has is that it controls all aspects of the phone in a tightly knit team. Hopefully, they have the ability to produce results as quickly as the established cell phone manufacturers. Time will tell and it will be pretty soon in this industry.

I wouldnt count on that. Didnt Apple divert people from the Leopard team just for the iphone? I think they could expand their teams tbh

Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Not sure what this is in response to. Has Nokia made a further announcement about ship dates?

Or does the confirmation of an iPhone SDK somehow confirm another manufacturers plans?

BTW, it seems like you might be hesitant to brand anyone a "fanboy" when you are so wildly and uncritically drooling over Nokia's "plans".

It may surprise you to know that I still plan on getting an iphone.
post #30 of 56
Quote:

It may surprise you to know that I still plan on getting an iphone.

Not at all. I just think "fanboysim" is an overused and abused term-- so, for instance, I wouldn't dismiss you as a "Nokia fanboy" just because you seem pretty jazzed about what they're up to.

And I'm can't figure out what you meant by asking if anyone thought "this" is still vaporware-- did you mean the iPhone SDK, or the Nokia phone, or the Symbian touch OS, or what?
post #31 of 56
Quote:

I wouldnt count on that. Didnt Apple divert people from the Leopard team just for the iphone? I think they could expand their teams tbh

Ok bavlondon2 I am glad you are excited about Nokia's offerings. It's a good thing for the iPhone. It will probably be the fastest moving Apple product as far as new features due to how competitive the cell phone market is. Which only makes owning an iPhone that much more important.

It's definitely vaporware if it's not released. Until it's for sale it's vaporware.

Expanding their teams is not as easy as you think. They have infrastructure in place that needs to be expanded to hold more people. Funny how they are in the process of building a new corporate headquarters? You also have to realize they have 22,000 some full time employees. To add say another 3,000 employees is a huge step for a business. Once you add all these new people you have to train them on certain things within the company. Once you add them you also better make sure they have something to do and higher ups to keep them moving. You can't in 6 months say well the iPhone has cooled down now so we are letting you go. There is too many internal changes and time investied to bring so many in and ship them out after the phone and Leopard are released. This is why Apple is spread so thin right now. They are not sure how big it will be (iPhone) and don't want to grow bigger than they need. So they will take it slow and move as they see fit. You can't just throw people at something without careful planning.

And this still doesn't negate the fact you want us to consider a Nokia phone that your telling us is trying to develope something similar to Apple's property (Coverflow) which you know they can't release on a phone. I'd rather have the phone that's making the waves not the one trying to catch up.
post #32 of 56
This thread is actually still going?
post #33 of 56
Yes it is.
post #34 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Well, from the press release, all we have is:

These technologies will be available for all S60 device manufacturers during 2008.

Umm, that's not a very precise date for an SDK release date (for hardware developers no less). Even Apple announces dates with a granularity of a month. This is an entire year! I can only surmise the release date will be July 1st give or take 6 months. Or perhaps the various kits will be delivered piecemeal over 2008.

As for a device like in the video to be released in February 2008? I really don't think so. It may be live demonstrated, but people won't be impressed if it is like the video. I don't think anyone is impressed by the video. Perhaps parts of this S60 UI accelerator kit and touch UI kit will be released then. If it was to be released Feb, dollars to donuts, we would have heard about the device at least 2 months ago.

As for Apple being unable to compete with Nokia, now that they will have touch feature in their UI, you guys have got to be kidding me. Of course they will be able to compete, both in hardware and in software. Apple can compete with featuritis phones, but that's not their way and not something they would be proud of selling. Under Steve Jobs, Apple is nothing but extremely targeted with their products. They will not be competing with Nokia, Samsung, LG, HTC, on trying to cram every feature into a cell phone. You can bank on this now, that Nokia will have a phone with more features than Apple's phones. However, you can bet that Apple will have phones that will be "elegant" for want of a better term.
post #35 of 56
Quote:
Yes it is.

Since now your complaint about 3rd party apps is resolved the other majory complaint people continue to drag on is about flash which has been discussed.

Flash has been widely criticized for its performance on OS X. Adobe has yet to do much to fix the situation. Apple leaving flash support off of the phone will likely persuade Adobe to do something about the performance, which would be a good thing for all Mac users. Flash support for h.264 is a step in the right direction towards support of flash video on the iPhone. As h.264 is much more efficient codec.
post #36 of 56
I don't know about you guys, but that Nokia is too bulky. I got rid of my Sprint PDA with slide out keyboard because I hated wearing that leather thing on my belt and I'd always lose it and it couldn't fit into my pocket. I love the sleekness of the iPhone, nice and slim.
post #37 of 56
Quote:

Since now your complaint about 3rd party apps is resolved the other majory complaint people continue to drag on is about flash which has been discussed.

Flash has been widely criticized for its performance on OS X. Adobe has yet to do much to fix the situation. Apple leaving flash support off of the phone will likely persuade Adobe to do something about the performance, which would be a good thing for all Mac users. Flash support for h.264 is a step in the right direction towards support of flash video on the iPhone. As h.264 is much more efficient codec.

Fair enough. My main gripe though was lack of video recording, although ive been assured by a friend who works at Apple that it will be fixed in a future update so im just patiently waiting then ill buy my iphone.
post #38 of 56
Quote:

Fair enough. My main gripe though was lack of video recording, although ive been assured by a friend who works at Apple that it will be fixed in a future update so im just patiently waiting then ill buy my iphone.

Here is an analysis of Nokia and Apple's mobile offerings. It is a nice read without fanboi material.

http://mobileopportunity.blogspot.co...and-apple.html
post #39 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by talksense101 View Post

Here is an analysis of Nokia and Apple's mobile offerings. It is a nice read without fanboi material.

http://mobileopportunity.blogspot.co...and-apple.html

Excellent post.

I believe Apple is "pulling a Microsoft" with the iPhone.. in the good sense.

MS has (or had) the knack of starting small, getting wrong (mostly), but then getting it better with the 2nd attempt, then by 3rd, 4th, 5th, etc they not only got it quite well, but also took over the whole (or most) of the market.

They did this with Office, Windows, Windows Mobile, Internet Explorer, etc etc...

Apple is starting small with "only" a few million iPhones sold, getting the feedback, seeing how to possibly make an iPhone and iPhone Pro, figuring out WHO can build this many phones (we're talking TENS of MILLIONS per month, not just a paltry half million or so like today).

No one could've suddenly sold like Moto, Nokia, or Samsung.. Apple is ramping up and looking at least 5-7 years in the future.

Make no doubt that Apple will offer a consumer, entry level iPhone of somekind eventually. Whether its in round 2 or 3, it will happen.
post #40 of 56
Didn't all the manufacturers scoff at the idea of a full touch interface for a phone? Why, all of a sudden is it the best thing since sliced bread? How, in such a short time, did the iPhone become the #4 smartphone sold in the US and the #1 selling phone from At&t? Why is it that everyone is trying to produce an iPhone killer and not, say, a Motorola killer? Why are there so many new concept phones that look a lot like iPhones? Hmmmmm....
Apple has no competition. Every commercial product which competes directly with an Apple product gives the distinct impression that, Where it is original, it is not good, and where it is good, it...
Apple has no competition. Every commercial product which competes directly with an Apple product gives the distinct impression that, Where it is original, it is not good, and where it is good, it...
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Nokia and their iPhone 'killer'