or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple to fire up Penryn-based Mac Pros
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple to fire up Penryn-based Mac Pros - Page 6

post #201 of 395
While Apple hasn't fired up any Penryn-based Mac Pros yet, I just configured a Quad core Alienware with 2x 8800 GTS's in SLI, 4GB of RAM, 1TB of storage, DVD-RW, and a Blu-Ray reader/writer for the fun of it, and I say they are definitely making the ultimate desktop computers in the business right now. For just under 5G's I configured one of the sweetest systems I could imagine. It was freaking sick!
onlooker
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: parts unknown




http://www.apple.com/feedback/macpro.html
Reply
onlooker
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: parts unknown




http://www.apple.com/feedback/macpro.html
Reply
post #202 of 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlooker View Post

While Apple hasn't fired up any Penryn-based Mac Pros yet, I just configured a Quad core Alienware with 2x 8800 GTS's in SLI, 4GB of RAM, 1TB of storage, DVD-RW, and a Blu-Ray reader/writer for the fun of it, and I say they are definitely making the ultimate desktop computers in the business right now. For just under 5G's I configured one of the sweetest systems I could imagine. It was freaking sick!

You DO know that dell owns them right?

 

 

Quote:
The reason why they are analysts is because they failed at running businesses.

 

Reply

 

 

Quote:
The reason why they are analysts is because they failed at running businesses.

 

Reply
post #203 of 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by emig647 View Post

You DO know that dell owns them right?

Yes, and FORD owns Jaguar - among others. What's your point? \

They are not manufactured at DELL. It was a buyout although nothing has changed with Alienware other than they are no longer worried about getting into financial trouble.
onlooker
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: parts unknown




http://www.apple.com/feedback/macpro.html
Reply
onlooker
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: parts unknown




http://www.apple.com/feedback/macpro.html
Reply
post #204 of 395
I just find it weird when people refer to Alienware as Alienware, instead of Dell. I thought everything was being migrated to Dell.

 

 

Quote:
The reason why they are analysts is because they failed at running businesses.

 

Reply

 

 

Quote:
The reason why they are analysts is because they failed at running businesses.

 

Reply
post #205 of 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlooker View Post

Yes, and FORD owns Jaguar - among others. What's your point? \

They are not manufactured at DELL. It was a buyout although nothing has changed with Alienware other than they are no longer worried about getting into financial trouble.


Wow, that was an awesome comeback!
I'm going to use that. If you don't mind. :P
post #206 of 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by emig647 View Post

I just find it weird when people refer to Alienware as Alienware, instead of Dell. I thought everything was being migrated to Dell.

The only thing I've seen between DELL, and Alienware are similarities that I've seen between FORD, and Jaguar. If you look at DELL's computers you can see some Alienware qualities in a some of their higher end desktops, just like some of FORD's cars after buying Jaguar. That's about the only thing I've noticed so far, and it's been quite a while. Your never going to see FORD change the Jaguar name to FORD, and I don't think you'll ever see Alienware go anywhere either. Unless DELL decides to liquidate them which I have heard no plans of them to do that yet.
onlooker
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: parts unknown




http://www.apple.com/feedback/macpro.html
Reply
onlooker
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: parts unknown




http://www.apple.com/feedback/macpro.html
Reply
post #207 of 395
Quote:
While Apple hasn't fired up any Penryn-based Mac Pros yet, I just configured a Quad core Alienware with 2x 8800 GTS's in SLI, 4GB of RAM, 1TB of storage, DVD-RW, and a Blu-Ray reader/writer for the fun of it, and I say they are definitely making the ultimate desktop computers in the business right now. For just under 5G's I configured one of the sweetest systems I could imagine. It was freaking sick!

Well, APple, I'm waiting for better gpus...c'mon...you can do it...what's the freakin' hold up?

Blasted Macworld.

Grumbles*

Lemon Bon Bon.

You know, for a company that specializes in the video-graphics market, you'd think that they would offer top-of-the-line GPUs...

 

WITH THE NEW MAC PRO THEY FINALLY DID!  (But you bend over for it.)

Reply

You know, for a company that specializes in the video-graphics market, you'd think that they would offer top-of-the-line GPUs...

 

WITH THE NEW MAC PRO THEY FINALLY DID!  (But you bend over for it.)

Reply
post #208 of 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon Bon Bon. View Post

YEah, we've been telling Apple that for years....

Its more like you've been reminding Apple about the mini-tower market and they've been ignoring you. Actually I think ignoring is probably too strong... they've been thinking different.
Providing grist for the rumour mill since 2001.
Reply
Providing grist for the rumour mill since 2001.
Reply
post #209 of 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlooker View Post

While Apple hasn't fired up any Penryn-based Mac Pros yet, I just configured a Quad core Alienware with 2x 8800 GTS's in SLI, 4GB of RAM, 1TB of storage, DVD-RW, and a Blu-Ray reader/writer for the fun of it, and I say they are definitely making the ultimate desktop computers in the business right now. For just under 5G's I configured one of the sweetest systems I could imagine. It was freaking sick!

I looked on the Alienware page, and I don't think that they sell 45nm Xeons - the processors are "Core 2 Extreme". I have no idea what the differences are, though.

I plan on getting a Mac Pro next summer, World of Warcraft needs something a little stronger than my macbook pro c2d, I am having a lot of heat and performance problems with the notebook. The Alienware rig seems pretty ugly and expensive compared to a mac pro - my $3500 budget looks like it would get a much nicer Mac Pro than it would get from Alienware, not even counting the better OS and nicer looks from Apple.
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
Reply
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
Reply
post #210 of 395
I don't want to flame you or anything, but getting a MacPro just for WoW is really wasting money.
You could probably get a PC for less than 1000$ that will play WoW just as good, if not better, depending on how fast Apple gets their thumbs out of their asses in respect to GPU choice.
Matyoroy!
Reply
Matyoroy!
Reply
post #211 of 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-News View Post

I don't want to flame you or anything, but getting a MacPro just for WoW is really wasting money.
You could probably get a PC for less than 1000$ that will play WoW just as good, if not better, depending on how fast Apple gets their thumbs out of their asses in respect to GPU choice.

If WoW was available on Linux, I would agree with you - but I am allergic to Windows. I am convinced that using Microsoft products will reduce my life expectancy, and reduce the quality of my family life by making me angry and frustrated all the time.

I'm not kidding, btw.

But my macbook pro is marginal for WoW (almost good enough, but not quite), so probably the best bet is a discounted current version Mac Pro (with the ATI x1900 video card) once the new one comes out.
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
Reply
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
Reply
post #212 of 395
New graphics cards from AMD... where are the mac versions ;p

http://www.electronista.com/articles...adeon.hd.3800/

 

 

Quote:
The reason why they are analysts is because they failed at running businesses.

 

Reply

 

 

Quote:
The reason why they are analysts is because they failed at running businesses.

 

Reply
post #213 of 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by emig647 View Post

New graphics cards from AMD... where are the mac versions ;p

http://www.electronista.com/articles...adeon.hd.3800/

Maybe there would be more if the Mac fans aren't so quick to just copy the firmware onto some other card.
post #214 of 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Maybe there would be more if the Mac fans aren't so quick to just copy the firmware onto some other card.

I wasn't aware you could do that with today's cards? You need an EFI compatible card to see anything before the desktop.... no?

I thought the ATI 8500 was the last card it was done with.

 

 

Quote:
The reason why they are analysts is because they failed at running businesses.

 

Reply

 

 

Quote:
The reason why they are analysts is because they failed at running businesses.

 

Reply
post #215 of 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by emig647 View Post

I wasn't aware you could do that with today's cards? You need an EFI compatible card to see anything before the desktop.... no?

I thought the ATI 8500 was the last card it was done with.

I could have sworn that I read someone on some other board bragging that they managed to flash the EFI firmware to the 1950 to some cheaper PC card.

I could be wrong though.
post #216 of 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I could have sworn that I read someone on some other board bragging that they managed to flash the EFI firmware to the 1950 to some cheaper PC card.

I could be wrong though.

Are you saying having an x1900xt and going to a 1950? Gotta be careful when reading stuff about graphics cards for macs. Most of the graphics cards discussions are for the hackintoshes. Most the people I know that have one use the x1950 (in some form or another). I use an NVidia 7900gt. All of these are BIOS cards... and will work but need special drivers to show up during boot up.

It's also possible to have 2 cards, and boot off of a crappy card like a 7300gt and use the bios card for gaming, but you need drivers and kexts. It's not that bad, but a little messy. Messy enough that, this is the main reason I don't want a hack any more. 2 big bugs: A) Some software wants apple genuine serial numbers and when it doesn't read it, it crashes (adobe cs3). B) The graphics drivers for unsupported cards still have issues (7900gt and gs get graphics glitches, haven't tested other cards).

All in all. If this Hack stuff improves much more, and now that you can convert a store bought leopard dvd to be a hack so easily and not have to download pirated ones, I might go back to trying to build one again. I think others may as well. And the software agreement on leopard? It can be ran on any Apple-labeled computers (I have 2 apple stickers on my case).

Point being, more and more people are going to be doing this if it gets much easier. All the people that want a gaming computer, a family computer with os x, all the people that want the xMac or mac tower. The Mac Pro isn't priced for these people and never will be... it's a work station.

The Mac Pro is a great machine, but not fitted for everyone. And certainly will not bring us a bunch of upgrade cards. So yah, I'd like to see either cheaper mac pros or another tower out there. I'm sure a lot of us would. Apple will never "think right" though

 

 

Quote:
The reason why they are analysts is because they failed at running businesses.

 

Reply

 

 

Quote:
The reason why they are analysts is because they failed at running businesses.

 

Reply
post #217 of 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by emig647 View Post

Are you saying having an x1900xt and going to a 1950? Gotta be careful when reading stuff about graphics cards for macs. Most of the graphics cards discussions are for the hackintoshes. Most the people I know that have one use the x1950 (in some form or another). I use an NVidia 7900gt. All of these are BIOS cards... and will work but need special drivers to show up during boot up.

It was on a regular Mac forum, but I got the model number wrong. I thought the current Apple model was 1950-based. I didn't type all the extra letters because I hate those designations. The point being, this person claimed they put the Mac-compatible EFI firmware from the Mac version into the PC version, though I expect with some rejiggering.
post #218 of 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

It was on a regular Mac forum, but I got the model number wrong. I thought the current Apple model was 1950-based. I didn't type all the extra letters because I hate those designations. The point being, this person claimed they put the Mac-compatible EFI firmware from the Mac version into the PC version, though I expect with some rejiggering.

Yah you can do that. Our EFI cards have both an EFI and BIOS.

 

 

Quote:
The reason why they are analysts is because they failed at running businesses.

 

Reply

 

 

Quote:
The reason why they are analysts is because they failed at running businesses.

 

Reply
post #219 of 395
Quote:
Its more like you've been reminding Apple about the mini-tower market and they've been ignoring you. Actually I think ignoring is probably too strong... they've been thinking different.

Hot air, Programmer. Hot air.

Yeah. Thinking Different. So they won't ever do sub notebook, eh? But they'll get around to that. They'll do it their way. But never? Thinking Different is in the implementation. You're so smart, eh? But you didn't have the clairvoyance to foresee the switch to Intel, the Mac Mini, Bootcamp or the iPhone. Apple did. Sacred Cows? Your arguments are old news, Prog'. Any moment now, you'll be dragging Amorph out the closet to help you with the 'they'll never do a Mac under a grand' argument.

They were never going to enter the server market either? Or sell more than the glass ceilinged 2 million mark? For a fresh perspective:

Here's what my PC owning friend says:

"It strikes me that there are a lot of frustrated potential customers on these boards not getting the product they want. The configuration options for macs and Mac Pros seem out of kilter to the potential market place. Apple are taking too long to innovate in their choice of specification. Apple pride themselves on design aesthetics - why are they refusing to carry the baton on meeting customer choice?

In short, faster turnaround and configurability are required.

There are a large number of motherboard manufacturers and two major players in the graphics card industry. Licensing to an 'Apple standard' isn't a major leap of faith. Such a license would allow a greater degree of choice and would promote internal competitivity between these players under the Apple banner.

Nvidia are putting together a specification with cooler and motherboard manufacturers, so that their devices can communicate with one another for temperature / performance requirements. If Nvidia can do this - why not Apple?

In my opinion, Apple need to "loosen their grip on the reins and let the horse have its head. "


Well, that's what he said.

A Mac Pro may come out on Jan 15 08 to sweep away his arguments if the latest Nvidia card comes with it...

...however, he does have a point. Or two. Apple have control. It's good. It allows ultimate control to innovate and beat the snot out of Vista and if you're an ipHone? Competing phones.

However, the same control can occasional turn into rigid thinking that excludes others from sharing the Apple pie.

We don't want the whole pie. A slice would be nice.

eg. A mid. Tower. 2.4 quad. Gt. 2 gig Ram. A 500 gig hd. Not difficult. They can even sell with £100 premium and I'd still buy it. All together? Shouldn't cost more than £1000-£1300. Now. If 'Mesh' computers can do it? Why, sorry, WHY can't Apple? The 15 million dollars in teh bank company?

Another example? iPhone? I don't use £35 pounds worth of talk/text time. So give me a contract with less content for £10-15?

It's 'control'. I'd like a bit. Just bit. Just a bit. Or choice. 5 million configurations on a Mac Pro? But not one for a GTX card... But a Spanish keyboard?

Put that in your spanish pipe, Programmer.

Lemon Bon Bon

You know, for a company that specializes in the video-graphics market, you'd think that they would offer top-of-the-line GPUs...

 

WITH THE NEW MAC PRO THEY FINALLY DID!  (But you bend over for it.)

Reply

You know, for a company that specializes in the video-graphics market, you'd think that they would offer top-of-the-line GPUs...

 

WITH THE NEW MAC PRO THEY FINALLY DID!  (But you bend over for it.)

Reply
post #220 of 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by Programmer View Post

they've been thinking different.

Why have you bought into such a vapid marketing slogan, and held onto it for a decade?
post #221 of 395
Heh, this is the most I've seen Programmer get called out sine I've been here.

 

 

Quote:
The reason why they are analysts is because they failed at running businesses.

 

Reply

 

 

Quote:
The reason why they are analysts is because they failed at running businesses.

 

Reply
post #222 of 395
http://www.crn.com/hardware/203100330

Quote:
Hewlett-Packard (NYSE:HPQ)'s gaming unit is holding off on launching systems based on Intel (NSDQ:INTC)'s new Penryn processor, saying that while the 45 nm chip is reliable on Intel chipsets more work needed to be done for the CPU to work with Nvidia's SLI.

Rahul Sood, chief technology officer for HP's gaming unit, said on his web log Wednesday that his company received information last week - - which he declined to specify - - that kept it from launching gaming products with Penryn. Sood later clarified his remarks to say Intel's CPU itself was not unreliable, but that as a platform additional work needed to be done with third party chipsets.

"We haven't launched Intel's 45 nm processor as planned," Sood wrote. "We, like many, were hoping that it would work flawlessly on certain chipsets -- and well, unfortunately it doesn't -- not yet anyways." He said that "the bottom line is we're working on a solution for Nvidia SLI, but at the moment there isn't one."

Later on, Sood added, "it's not an issue of Intel's chip reliability, it's an issue of platform stability on certain non-Intel chipsets."

HP is the world's Number 1 PC maker, and last year it acquired Sood's company, VooDooPC. That organization is now primarily responsible for HP's gaming PC business.

"I don't want to get into the details, it's not a pretty situation," Sood wrote. "There is much confusion surrounding this launch -- it's somewhat unbelievable."

An Intel spokesman lashed out against any characterization that Penryn is flawed, and said the processor "works as intended with Intel chipsets." He declined to say whether Penryn works with any third-party chipsets.

A spokesman for Nvidia (NSDQ:NVDA) said his company was not invited to take part in Intel's Monday launch event, and that its SLI chipset does not currently support Penryn. He said Nvidia will launch its next-generation technology next month, and that it planned for its SLI to support Intel's 45 nm Yorkfield-Penryn technology at that point. The Nvidia spokesman said his company remains excited about prospects for the Intel CPU.
post #223 of 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

http://www.crn.com/hardware/203100330

I really don't think it makes sense to delay the launch of the entire product line for that. I really don't think all that many systems will run as SLI, so I'd think that only the top of the line systems could be expected to be SLI capable.
post #224 of 395
Many people use multiple monitors and multiple graphics cards. Delaying is obviously going to be the best option. They have a lot of customers that count on reliability, and workplace compatibility. Your essentially saying throw that away. Probably not a good idea especially if your the #1 selling computer manufacturer. I think they are going to try and keep that #1 spot. That coveted # alone sells computers.
onlooker
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: parts unknown




http://www.apple.com/feedback/macpro.html
Reply
onlooker
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: parts unknown




http://www.apple.com/feedback/macpro.html
Reply
post #225 of 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I really don't think it makes sense to delay the launch of the entire product line for that. I really don't think all that many systems will run as SLI, so I'd think that only the top of the line systems could be expected to be SLI capable.

Besides gamers, HP sells a ton of professional workstations for Engineering, Architecture, Bio-Medical, etc.

Having these systems work with hardware cards that would be swapped out and put in these new purchases or bought with the need to have such support would keep them from making new purchases until these issues are resolved.
post #226 of 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlooker View Post

Many people use multiple monitors and multiple graphics cards. Delaying is obviously going to be the best option. They have a lot of customers that count on reliability, and workplace compatibility. Your essentially saying throw that away. Probably not a good idea especially if your the #1 selling computer manufacturer. I think they are going to try and keep that #1 spot. That coveted # alone sells computers.

What? The linked article discusses the actions of the game business unit. Do a lot of businesses buy computers that were marketed as game machines? I don't see why the entire line has to be updated at the same time either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Besides gamers, HP sells a ton of professional workstations for Engineering, Architecture, Bio-Medical, etc.

Having these systems work with hardware cards that would be swapped out and put in these new purchases or bought with the need to have such support would keep them from making new purchases until these issues are resolved.

So these businesses buy game machines to do this, rather than proper workstations?
post #227 of 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

So these businesses buy game machines to do this, rather than proper workstations?

Yes. It is amazing what Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare has done for employee morale and productivity. Not only is the enemy A.I. sufficient to fight intelligently, but it can also run numbers, write proposals and complete regulatory submissions. Business has never been better.
post #228 of 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by emig647 View Post

Heh, this is the most I've seen Programmer get called out sine I've been here.

'bout time, I'd say.
Providing grist for the rumour mill since 2001.
Reply
Providing grist for the rumour mill since 2001.
Reply
post #229 of 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon Bon Bon. View Post

Yeah. Thinking Different. So they won't ever do sub notebook, eh? But they'll get around to that. They'll do it their way. But never? Thinking Different is in the implementation. You're so smart, eh? But you didn't have the clairvoyance to foresee the switch to Intel, the Mac Mini, Bootcamp or the iPhone. Apple did. Sacred Cows?
.
.
.
They were never going to enter the server market either? Or sell more than the glass ceilinged 2 million mark? For a fresh perspective

I think perhaps you should learn to read. I don't make a point of predicting where they are going, I'm looking at why they haven't fulfilled your wishes... yet. In fact my point is that Apple is looking for ways to do the unexpected and go places in the market that are different. They certainly have gone in directions that caught me (and most people) by surprise. My saying they are "thinking different" isn't buying into a vapid marketing slogan, it just a phrase that happens to fit (I could and did say that they are applying the blue ocean strategy). It is an observation that they know they are a different kind of company than the other PC makers, and that is their strength. When they lost sight of it they just about folded up shop.

If you actually read what I've been writing, you'd see that I'm not saying that they won't try to make a play for the people buying the mini-tower type PCs... I'm saying that they haven't because they haven't figured how to do it in a way that delivers a big payoff. Looking at the PC vendors merging or going out of business over the past few years (and Apple itself in the mid-90s), you can see that not doing it right can break a company. I can guess at how they might try to make a play for the mini-tower market, but its just speculation and I hope they surprise me (and everyone else). Innovation is how we get leaps forward instead of just small incremental improvements.

And by the way, I don't smoke. Its a vile habit.
Providing grist for the rumour mill since 2001.
Reply
Providing grist for the rumour mill since 2001.
Reply
post #230 of 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I really don't think it makes sense to delay the launch of the entire product line for that. I really don't think all that many systems will run as SLI, so I'd think that only the top of the line systems could be expected to be SLI capable.

My guess is that the mention of SLI is a misnomer or gross over-simplification. The 3rd party chipset(s) that HP is using most likely are buggier than hell and they've been scrambling to make them work reliably ever since they started getting Penyrn samples. No doubt they are praying a software patch can do the trick, and dreading that a hardware revision may be required.
Providing grist for the rumour mill since 2001.
Reply
Providing grist for the rumour mill since 2001.
Reply
post #231 of 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanW View Post

Since no update to the Mac Pro's you would be a fool to not choose a 2.8 24" Imac over a Mac Pro.... Cost you're getting a free 24" Monitor!

I agree with emig647 that you can't compare a 2.8 iMac with a quad- or 8-core Mac Pro. Working in a school district that's bought a lot of the 2.4 iMacs lately --and I have a current 8-core Mac Pro on my desk-- they're not equitable. Even given the faster processor in a 2.8, it simply cannot compare to the performance of a Mac Pro. Dual-core 2.8 with 800MHz frontside bus vs quad/8-core 3GHz with 1333MHz frontside bus--hands down the Mac Pro is faster by a large margin.

It all depends on what you want/need to use a computer for... if the performance of an iMac is sufficient, go for it and save yourself some money. But to suggest someone would be foolish to choose a Mac Pro over an iMac isn't logical... some people do need the performance benefits the Mac Pro offers. I have an 8-core Mac Pro at work and I'll be buying one of the new Penryn-based 8-core Mac Pros for home once it's released.
post #232 of 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by da2357 View Post

It all depends on what you want/need to use a computer for... if the performance of an iMac is sufficient, go for it and save yourself some money. But to suggest someone would be foolish to choose a Mac Pro over an iMac isn't logical... some people do need the performance benefits the Mac Pro offers.

Not to mention extra drive bays, PCI slots and dual-link DVI. Comparing an iMac to a Mac Pro is like comparing a one-man band to a symphony orchestra.
post #233 of 395
Here is my WAG (Wild Ass Guess):
New Mac Pro next month with a slight re-design, its not like apple hasn't already had the time. Lets face it though the current Mac Pro layout is nearly optimum as far as layout and nice features go (come on the SATA hard drive bays are wonderful). Perhaps a more BTX type layout and slight re-work of some internal thermals is all.
I just keep on laughing when people talk about how much of a work of art a professional powerful mac should be. please its a Mac Pro, its normally stuffed under a desk or next to a bunch of big monitors. its not a centerpiece in a home or home office like a iMac is. It needs to simply say, "yeah I am a Mac, bet I could beat up your workstation and look better while doing it too."
38xx based GPUs as an option and Apple is just waiting for Intel to ship it enough CPUs to start full production. Apple planed on releasing already, but wants enough quantities of the higher end chips. I predict at least a normal and a high end base configuration. Quad core CPUs all around, and perhaps we may finally see more then a gig of RAM on the high end mac.

I need to buy a Mac Pro soon so I hope it gets released with a nice GPU. Oh also fixing all of the bugs and problems in 10.5 would be nice too. 10.5.1 still feels like a Release Candidate to me.
post #234 of 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by iDave View Post

Not to mention extra drive bays, PCI slots and dual-link DVI. Comparing an iMac to a Mac Pro is like comparing a one-man band to a symphony orchestra.

Totally agree. Until you can work on both machines long enough to see what they're capable of, people shouldn't make such flagrant statements. Now having worked with them both, I couldn't imagine working on anything other than a Mac Pro for development... which is why I'm sadly waiting (trying to be patient) for Apple to release a Penryn-based Mac Pro.
post #235 of 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

What? The linked article discusses the actions of the game business unit. Do a lot of businesses buy computers that were marketed as game machines? I don't see why the entire line has to be updated at the same time either.



So these businesses buy game machines to do this, rather than proper workstations?

No, smartass. I extended the contents of the article to it's logical conclusion.

Do yourself a favor and actually work for an operating system company some time. You could learn a lot.
post #236 of 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

What? The linked article discusses the actions of the game business unit. Do a lot of businesses buy computers that were marketed as game machines? I don't see why the entire line has to be updated at the same time either.

So these businesses buy game machines to do this, rather than proper workstations?

I'm not really sure what you were getting at anymore. \
onlooker
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: parts unknown




http://www.apple.com/feedback/macpro.html
Reply
onlooker
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: parts unknown




http://www.apple.com/feedback/macpro.html
Reply
post #237 of 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by Programmer View Post

It is an observation that they know they are a different kind of company than the other PC makers, and that is their strength. When they lost sight of it they just about folded up shop.

That would be because they were offering slower or the same hardware with no benefits for a higher price. They know how to make the same hardware much better now as they have a strong customer service rep, you can run Windows, the hardware prices are sort of competitive, OS X is a good system, they have some great exclusive industry standard software and nicely designed and quiet computers. In no way does any of that preclude targeting the largest user base by building a mini version of the Mac Pro.

As for release dates, if Apple do maintain the same Mac Pro price points then surely that means 8 cores across the board. This also means the gap between the iMac and Mac Pro will widen enormously. So I'd say they either offer a cheaper single quad on the low end, which should close the gap down and that can be released any time soon or they hold off until mobile Penryn and then upgrade the entire lineup and have a whole Penryn Macworld event.

I hope it's the former as the Mac Pro isn't good value right now and in another 2 months, it will look quite pathetic.
post #238 of 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by iDave View Post

Not to mention extra drive bays, PCI slots and dual-link DVI. Comparing an iMac to a Mac Pro is like comparing a one-man band to a symphony orchestra.

That's about the best analogy I've seen. May this analogy relegate all car analogs to the dust bin.
just waiting to be included in one of Apple's target markets.
Don't get me wrong, I like the flat panel iMac, actually own an iMac, and I like the Mac mini, but...........
Reply
just waiting to be included in one of Apple's target markets.
Don't get me wrong, I like the flat panel iMac, actually own an iMac, and I like the Mac mini, but...........
Reply
post #239 of 395
Quote:
I'm saying that they haven't because they haven't figured how to do it in a way that delivers a big payoff.

Well, I'm guessing the Cube was the misfire in that direction.

But they're already doing it with the iMac. Take away the £350 screen on the 24 incher. Put in a 8800GT and a Quad core and Apple still get away with £50 more profit!

They are already doing it.

I don't need a laptop mini.
I don't need a cube-laptop.
I'd take a laptop iMac with a better gpu. If they could fit a 7600 gt? Why not a 8800GT? OR GTS?
I don't want a MacTV.

Between the mini, imac, macbook and macbook pro? They've four machines in their laptop line. 5 if you include the Apple TV...

Roll the Mini into the Apple TV.

Give us a box. A pretty. Box. With a choice. Of a few motherboards. A few GPUs. (Hell, there are only two GPU vendors out there in PC land anyhow...) A choice of Conroes. You have a killer Mid-tower/cube/PC gamer switcher/non-imac/whatever you want to call it thingy that APple will 'never' do because they can't make a profit tower.

Since when have we known Apple not make a profit on anything in the last ten years? The reason for the lack of mid-tower probably has more to do with Steve Jobs than anyone. And after reading Cringley 'Empires' book for the zillionth time I can only guess strongly this is the most likely answer.

Lemon Bon Bon.

You know, for a company that specializes in the video-graphics market, you'd think that they would offer top-of-the-line GPUs...

 

WITH THE NEW MAC PRO THEY FINALLY DID!  (But you bend over for it.)

Reply

You know, for a company that specializes in the video-graphics market, you'd think that they would offer top-of-the-line GPUs...

 

WITH THE NEW MAC PRO THEY FINALLY DID!  (But you bend over for it.)

Reply
post #240 of 395
Quote:
'bout time, I'd say.

*Sticks Programmer's fringe back on.

Lemon Bon Bon.

You know, for a company that specializes in the video-graphics market, you'd think that they would offer top-of-the-line GPUs...

 

WITH THE NEW MAC PRO THEY FINALLY DID!  (But you bend over for it.)

Reply

You know, for a company that specializes in the video-graphics market, you'd think that they would offer top-of-the-line GPUs...

 

WITH THE NEW MAC PRO THEY FINALLY DID!  (But you bend over for it.)

Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple to fire up Penryn-based Mac Pros