or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple to fire up Penryn-based Mac Pros
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple to fire up Penryn-based Mac Pros - Page 3

post #81 of 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirHaakon View Post

I'm just curious, are there any Mac users who know how to spell "you're" correctly? I've been thinking about getting a Mac for a little while, but if this is how uneducated the community really is... ouch.

this is a informal board, when you type fast lots of mistake happens and so on... what the big f**k about it

and welcome stupid (i think i spelled this correctly even though english is my 2nd language)

you are getting/deciding a mac based our english on this board, your NUTS? sorry you are NUTS!

we speak computer language here!

Nov '09 | iMac 21.5" C2D 3.06 Ghz | Intel 330 240GB SSD | ATI

Sep '12| Toshiba 14" 1366 x 768! | i5 3rd Gen 6GB| Intel x25-m 120GB SSD | Win 7|  Viewsonic VX2255wmb 22" LCD
iPhone 4S| iPad 2 wifi

Reply

Nov '09 | iMac 21.5" C2D 3.06 Ghz | Intel 330 240GB SSD | ATI

Sep '12| Toshiba 14" 1366 x 768! | i5 3rd Gen 6GB| Intel x25-m 120GB SSD | Win 7|  Viewsonic VX2255wmb 22" LCD
iPhone 4S| iPad 2 wifi

Reply
post #82 of 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingglass View Post

A $1,000 Mac, please??? Hello?

Sure, No Problem:

A 2.0GHz Core 2 Duo Mac Mini with 2 GB of Ram and a 160 GB HD.

Actually, that would be $1,024, before sales tax and with no mouse or keyboard.

Anything else you want?

My point is that your price point is unrealistic.

Jim
post #83 of 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

As my previous post wasn't very clear, I was considering the ATI one the "high end", and the Quadro as simply not an option. It's only slightly faster than the ATI anyway.

Depends on what you use it for. Chances are you don't need it or you'd already know that.
onlooker
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: parts unknown




http://www.apple.com/feedback/macpro.html
Reply
onlooker
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: parts unknown




http://www.apple.com/feedback/macpro.html
Reply
post #84 of 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlooker View Post

Depends on what you use it for. Chances are you don't need it or you'd already know that.

My point was in the context of playing games, which is off-market for a Quadro. That, and the only tests I've seen are for non-engineering uses. Even Apple's comparison only uses games for their tests. If you know of such tests with software that takes advantage of the Mac's Quadro, using a Mac, I'd love to read it, but I've got a gut feeling that it's not going to be 2x or better.
post #85 of 395
Check out the tests in Cinebench...

http://www.3dfluff.com/mash/cinebench/top.php

The Quadro is twice the speed as the x1900xt (look at the OpenGL score). I'm not surprised though, as I hear the ATI cards are sort of hampered in OS X for OpenGL. When I Cinebenched my hackintosh against my friend's 2.66... my NVidia 7900GS beat his x1900xt. I do have a e6700 overclocked to 3.25ghz but the cpu speed is only a small factor in determining the OpenGL speed. I didn't beat him by much but I did beat him... which he should have beat me hands down.

 

 

Quote:
The reason why they are analysts is because they failed at running businesses.

 

Reply

 

 

Quote:
The reason why they are analysts is because they failed at running businesses.

 

Reply
post #86 of 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by emig647 View Post

cpu speed is only a small factor in determining the OpenGL speed

This is a huge overgeneralization. The importance of CPU speed, memory speed, operating system, drivers, and GPU varies greatly depending on the actual code and data being used. And be careful drawing too many conclusions from the results of a particluar benchmark, as it may not present a meaningful picture of what you are actually interested in.
Providing grist for the rumour mill since 2001.
Reply
Providing grist for the rumour mill since 2001.
Reply
post #87 of 395
I was talking directly to this benchmark. If you take a look at JUST the OpenGL benchmarks posted you will see there are some extremely underpowered machines that have very high OpenGL benchmarks... I am talking strictly of Cinebench here. I am not talking in 100% computing.

Also I was speaking in context of my e6700 vs his 2.66 woodcrest.

 

 

Quote:
The reason why they are analysts is because they failed at running businesses.

 

Reply

 

 

Quote:
The reason why they are analysts is because they failed at running businesses.

 

Reply
post #88 of 395
As I was saying and emig elaborated on. There are people that live and dye over a Highend 3D card, and if you actuallly needed it you would have known that.

I also didn't go back a page to see that you were talking about gaming. The statment you made looked like a blanket statment about the card. It's obviously not a gaming card though. Although, if you do 3D it does a make a decent gaming card if you like to game, but nvidia's intended use for the Quadro was not to be a gaming card.
onlooker
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: parts unknown




http://www.apple.com/feedback/macpro.html
Reply
onlooker
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: parts unknown




http://www.apple.com/feedback/macpro.html
Reply
post #89 of 395
Well perhaps I can't read properly, but that link you provided to the particular benchmark definitely doesn't seem to support your postulate.
Providing grist for the rumour mill since 2001.
Reply
Providing grist for the rumour mill since 2001.
Reply
post #90 of 395
You're right...

This is the old database scores for Cinebench 2003...

http://www.3dfluff.com/mash/cbogl.php

Looks like they did some optimizing in Cinebench 10.

I guess I should have read it first myself. So would that explain why my inferior 7900GS was beating his x1900xt?? Because of CPU speed? I was lead to believe it was poor ati drivers for OS X.

 

 

Quote:
The reason why they are analysts is because they failed at running businesses.

 

Reply

 

 

Quote:
The reason why they are analysts is because they failed at running businesses.

 

Reply
post #91 of 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanmugam View Post

this is a informal board, when you type fast lots of mistake happens and so on... what the big f**k about it

and welcome stupid (i think i spelled this correctly even though english is my 2nd language)

you are getting/deciding a mac based our english on this board, your NUTS? sorry you are NUTS!

we speak computer language here!

What about his nuts? Maybe he doesn't have any.

Anyway SirHaakon, that's no way to make an entrance when you're (spelled correctly) possibly going to ask for help in the future.

I have been teaching college level English for almost 19 years, and I still make errors. Not that I don't know correct grammar, but as Shanmugam says, this is an informal forum. I know that if I proofread my posts, I could find lots of errors.

I tell my students that there are two types of English (or any language): Formal - when you're writing in school, in your job, or trying to impress someone.
Then there's informal - the way we talk to our friends, family, or on the street.

You better know both types. Otherwise, you'll screw up at work or in school if you don't use formal English. However, your friends will think you're a snob if you don't use informal with them. Since this is a friendly setting, be informal, or we'll think you're a snob.

I find the AI members to be extremely intelligent (although argumentative) and knowledgeable. I'm in awe of their talents. Don't judge those talents by the rapid way they write in these threads. I'm sure that you could find errors in ANY writing I've done that I haven't proofread at least a couple of times. So cool it. Learn from these guys and don't criticize them for errors that have nothing to do with the thread subject.
ADS
Reply
ADS
Reply
post #92 of 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by sequitur View Post

What about his nuts? Maybe he doesn't have any.

Anyway SirHaakon, that's no way to make an entrance when you're (spelled correctly) possibly going to ask for help in the future.

I have been teaching college level English for almost 19 years, and I still make errors. Not that I don't know correct grammar, but as Shanmugam says, this is an informal forum. I know that if I proofread my posts, I could find lots of errors.

I tell my students that there are two types of English (or any language): Formal - when you're writing in school, in your job, or trying to impress someone.
Then there's informal - the way we talk to our friends, family, or on the street.

You better know both types. Otherwise, you'll screw up at work or in school if you don't use formal English. However, your friends will think you're a snob if you don't use informal with them. Since this is a friendly setting, be informal, or we'll think you're a snob.

I find the AI members to be extremely intelligent (although argumentative) and knowledgeable. I'm in awe of their talents. Don't judge those talents by the rapid way they write in these threads. I'm sure that you could find errors in ANY writing I've done that I haven't proofread at least a couple of times. So cool it. Learn from these guys and don't criticize them for errors that have nothing to do with the thread subject.

well intentioned, well delivered: well said.
post #93 of 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by emig647 View Post

You're right...
...
I guess I should have read it first myself. So would that explain why my inferior 7900GS was beating his x1900xt?? Because of CPU speed? I was lead to believe it was poor ati drivers for OS X.

These system are very complicated so taking guesses as to what the problem is just asking to be proven wrong. I've seen code that is beautifully written and impressively optimized... and some obscure interaction with something on the particular OS, CPU, GPU, driver, application, whatever completely trashes its performance, often just in a specific case (for example, everything works beautifully with 0, 1, 3, 4 or more textures... but give it 2 and it all falls apart).

So I can't answer your question. ATI drivers have been sketchy in the past, but they got a lot better for a while. It only takes one bad piece of code to hamper the whole code path.

I will say that I'm much more impressed with the ATI X1900 architecture than I am with the nVidia 7xxx series. The newer 8xxx series is a considerable improvement, but its a bit of a monster as of yet.
Providing grist for the rumour mill since 2001.
Reply
Providing grist for the rumour mill since 2001.
Reply
post #94 of 395
Just saw this article about Intel's new 45 nm fabrication plant. Looks like we'll see chips on November 12th.

Now as to whether we see new Mac Pros about the same time...

One can only hope.
"Too much of a good thing is great." Mae West
Reply
"Too much of a good thing is great." Mae West
Reply
post #95 of 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirHaakon View Post

I'm just curious, are there any Mac users who know how to spell "you're" correctly? I've been thinking about getting a Mac for a little while, but if this is how uneducated the community really is... ouch.

ummmmm........
U'rr nnn ezzhulll....kthxbi....
Only grammar you should trip over is when it impedes understanding.
post #96 of 395
After introducing Leopard and Penryn 8-cores with a 1.6GHz FSB, Apple is going to kick some serious Windows butt. Hell, a 3.2 Penryn 8-core running Windows XP Pro will kick some serious Vista Ultimate butt. If IT can only slack off about letting Apple play nice in the corporation, those uber Mac Pros and Leopard will kick everyone's butt. Aluminum cheese-grater case or not, I'm getting an 8-core.
post #97 of 395
Monday the 12th is Veterans' Day - a national holiday and the day Intel does their press event. So the holiday puts Apple a day off from Tuesday to Wednesday November 14.

Looking forward to the update.

Six x 3.5GHz '14 MP, 64GB, 1TB PCIe, 16TB HDs
2.6GHz 6GB 17"HD LED MBP, Sony 52XBR6 HDTV
EyeTV 500, Hybrid 2G, EyeTV 3 HDTV Recorder
64 ATT iPhone 5S, 128 ATT iPad Air, 128 ATT iPad miniRetina, 16...

Reply

Six x 3.5GHz '14 MP, 64GB, 1TB PCIe, 16TB HDs
2.6GHz 6GB 17"HD LED MBP, Sony 52XBR6 HDTV
EyeTV 500, Hybrid 2G, EyeTV 3 HDTV Recorder
64 ATT iPhone 5S, 128 ATT iPad Air, 128 ATT iPad miniRetina, 16...

Reply
post #98 of 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by Multimedia View Post

Monday the 12th is Veterans' Day - a national holiday and the day Intel does their press event. So the holiday puts Apple a day off from Tuesday to Wednesday November 14.

Looking forward to the update.

We can only hope.

In the meantime I have got Leopard arriving tomorrow for the MacBook so at least I will have something new to play with for awhile.

"Too much of a good thing is great." Mae West
Reply
"Too much of a good thing is great." Mae West
Reply
post #99 of 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by Multimedia View Post

Monday the 12th is Veterans' Day - a national holiday and the day Intel does their press event. So the holiday puts Apple a day off from Tuesday to Wednesday November 14.

Looking forward to the update.


I hope so multimedia. I really looking to have the new Mac Pro's and also displays this year. It doesn't hurt to take advantage of the tax deductions for this year.
Plus, I would rather leave MWSF open to other products. Maybe an improved and larger capacity iPhone. We'll see.
MacPro 12 core
30" & 23" Apple Cinema HD Displays
PowerBook G4 550, MacBook Pro 2.2
Ipod 1G and 5G, Shuffle 2G, iPhone 3G
Reply
MacPro 12 core
30" & 23" Apple Cinema HD Displays
PowerBook G4 550, MacBook Pro 2.2
Ipod 1G and 5G, Shuffle 2G, iPhone 3G
Reply
post #100 of 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

For the second time in as many years, Mac maker Apple Inc. is awaiting the official nod from chip supplier Intel Corp. before announcing a brawny update to its Mac Pro workstations aimed at media professionals.

The new systems will represent the first architectural overhaul to the Mac Pro family since Apple introduced the Intel-based Power Mac successor at its August 2006 Worldwide Developers Conference. They'll also be amongst the first machines from any PC manufacturer to employ chips from Intel's upcoming Penryn family of 45-nanometer (nm) microprocessors -- specifically the upcoming Hi-k Xeons, which will be available in dual- and quad-core variants for workstations with front-side bus speeds of either 1333MHz or 1600MHz.

Confirming reports filed by the Inquirer earlier this month, people familiar with the matter say the new Mac Pro line lineup will top out with an 8-core configuration that employs two top-of-the-line quad-core "Harpertown" chips. The top-bin Xeons, which offer the faster 1600MHz bus and 12MB of L2 cache, will start trickling in around mid-November at speeds of up to 3.2GHz.

Apple, for its part, is ready to rock-and-roll with the new 45-nm Macs whenever Intel can deliver enough of those top-bin chips to trigger a manufacturing ramp. People familiar with the situation say Apple's end of the hardware is essentially complete, with builds having made their final pass through engineering earlier this fall. Availability now hinges on the Intel's capacity to deliver quantities of the new 45-nm Xeons, they say.

Long-time AppleInsider readers will recall a nearly identical situation facing the Mac Pro last October. At the time, AppleInsider reported on Apple's plans to release its first-ever 8-core system -- a Mac Pro sporting two quad-core Xeon "Clovertown" chips. Like Harpertown, the first Clovertown processors were slated for a mid-November release and (again) Apple's end of the hardware was similarly completed well in advance. The 8-core Mac didn't debut for another five months, however, as Apple held out for an exclusive 3.0GHz variant of the Clovertown chip while it waited patiently for*Adobe to pull the trigger on its Intel-native Creative Suite 3.0 (CS3) software. Following the release of CS3 in late-March, Apple in April finally rolled out the 8-Core Clovertown Mac Pro.

With a warm reception to CS3 amongst creative professionals helping to drive sales of Apple's professional workstations in recent months, things are likely to play out much quicker this time around. The new 8-core Harpertown Mac Pro should debut anytime after mid-November and almost certainly by Macworld Expo in January.

Speed improvements made possible by Intel's new 45-nm architecture are likely to compel large corporations to consider updating to the Penryn-based workstations. Speaking at Intel's Beijing developer forum earlier this year, Intel senior VP Pat Gelsinger said Harpertown Xeons will offer an approximate 45 percent speed increase for bandwidth-intensive applications compared to the Clovertown Xeon chips available in today's Mac Pros.



Still, there is some slight uncertainty regarding precisely which Intel processor models will be used to progress the entry-level quad-core Mac Pros, which employ two dual-core Xeons rather than two quad-core processors. The multiprocessor, dual-core counterpart to Harpertown is "Wolfdale," which will be made available in models that support varying front-side bus speeds.

A 3.16GHz low-power Wolfdale will operate on systems with a 1333MHz bus, while "normal" 1.86GHz* and 3.33GHz models will work on machines with bus speeds of 1066MHz and 1333MHz, respectively. In addition, Intel also plans a 3.4GHz Wolfdale that runs on a 1600MHz bus like Harpertown. However this chip is somewhat pricey, with a suggested wholesale cost similar to that of the 3.2GHz quad-core Harpertowns bound for the*8-core Mac Pro. Therefore, it would seem incredibly unlikely that Apple would adopt the chip for the Mac Pro, as the 8-core Harpertown Mac Pro is expected to cost upwards of $4,000 itself.

This raises the possibility that Apple's Penryn-based Mac Pro line will include models with varying bus speeds. This is not out of the ordinary, however, and was similarly the case back in October of 2005 when Apple unveiled its Power Mac G5 Quad and Power Mac G5 Dual. *At the time, however, the system bus was automatically tied to clock speed rather than the controlling factor itself.

Undoubtably next MAc pro MB will be another intel varient as mac is already sourcing High end penryn processors for its release . If this release is say Nov07 the board will most likely a varient on intell skull trail which would instantly upgrade video boards to 8800 series nvidia and quadro 4600 ,5600 in sli mode as long as leopard can support driver wise.I am unsure of it FB dimm count at this time.

Up till now mac os was a 32 /64 bit system which in its applications would not address more than 4 gigs of ram per instance of application.
Now with leopard we have a 64 bit OS which will address beyond the 4 gig per instance barrier . This is the single most important factor for leopard but seemingly understood by few. This brings remarkable capabilities to the applications BUT they must all be ported to support 64 bit first to see this tecnological epiffany!
So as the applications are upgraded to support 64 bit there will be remarkable improvements mostly in the big number crunching fields as mentioned before like imaging ,3d rendering, and my field video and film ...very exciting!
post #101 of 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by cautious View Post

Undoubtably next MAc pro MB will be another intel varient as mac is already sourcing High end penryn processors for its release . If this release is say Nov07 the board will most likely a varient on intell skull trail which would instantly upgrade video boards to 8800 series nvidia and quadro 4600 ,5600 in sli mode as long as leopard can support driver wise.I am unsure of it FB dimm count at this time.

Up till now mac os was a 32 /64 bit system which in its applications would not address more than 4 gigs of ram per instance of application.
Now with leopard we have a 64 bit OS which will address beyond the 4 gig per instance barrier . This is the single most important factor for leopard but seemingly understood by few. This brings remarkable capabilities to the applications BUT they must all be ported to support 64 bit first to see this tecnological epiffany!
So as the applications are upgraded to support 64 bit there will be remarkable improvements mostly in the big number crunching fields as mentioned before like imaging ,3d rendering, and my field video and film ...very exciting!

Unfortunately, Adobe is on the record as stating that 64-bit apps aren't going to be coming from them anytime soon. Their position is that there are many, many non-64-bit computers out there--more than the number of 64-bit capable computers--and that until that changes, PhotoShop, et al, will remain 32-bit bound.

I would bet, however, that their video and animation apps will move to 64-bit long before their print/web apps do.
"Too much of a good thing is great." Mae West
Reply
"Too much of a good thing is great." Mae West
Reply
post #102 of 395
Yes I agree, video will jump to 64 bit first ,as it is a natural .
Sony has already shown their 64 bit vegas system....so I dont think apple will want to give them lead since this is my field I cant wait!
post #103 of 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by donebylee View Post

Unfortunately, Adobe is on the record as stating that 64-bit apps aren't going to be coming from them anytime soon. Their position is that there are many, many non-64-bit computers out there--more than the number of 64-bit capable computers--and that until that changes, PhotoShop, et al, will remain 32-bit bound.

I would bet, however, that their video and animation apps will move to 64-bit long before their print/web apps do.

If Adobe doesn't release 64 bit by the next release of OS X 10.6 don't expect any of their applications to run.

By then OS X 10.6 will focus on 64 bit only applications. That gives Adobe roughly 18 months to get it done.
post #104 of 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by donebylee View Post

Unfortunately, Adobe is on the record as stating that 64-bit apps aren't going to be coming from them anytime soon. Their position is that there are many, many non-64-bit computers out there--more than the number of 64-bit capable computers--and that until that changes, PhotoShop, et al, will remain 32-bit bound.

I would bet, however, that their video and animation apps will move to 64-bit long before their print/web apps do.

The thing is with windows the 32 bit and 64 bit vers of windows are differnt version and the 64 bit one does not work with 32 bit drivers and brakes some other apps unlike 10.5 in which 32 bit and 64 bit are instilled the same time 32 bit stuff still works.
post #105 of 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_the_dragon View Post

The thing is with windows the 32 bit and 64 bit vers of windows are differnt version and the 64 bit one does not work with 32 bit drivers and brakes some other apps unlike 10.5 in which 32 bit and 64 bit are instilled the same time 32 bit stuff still works.

But the problem is, Apple is pushing some new features in Objective-C 2.0 which are 64bit only. Though Adobe doesn't need to use these... Yes 10.6 will support 32bit computers. The whole Rev A lineup of Intel computers was 32bit... I can't imagine apple would drop support for these machines after 36 months... Not when they are supporting 7 year old machines (867 g4).

 

 

Quote:
The reason why they are analysts is because they failed at running businesses.

 

Reply

 

 

Quote:
The reason why they are analysts is because they failed at running businesses.

 

Reply
post #106 of 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by emig647 View Post

But the problem is, Apple is pushing some new features in Objective-C 2.0 which are 64bit only.

Which features are those?
Providing grist for the rumour mill since 2001.
Reply
Providing grist for the rumour mill since 2001.
Reply
post #107 of 395
These are in the new ABI for 64bit...

They include...

Non-fragile instance variables
Zero-cost exceptions (mainly for objective-c++)
and faster messaging dispatch...

A lot of this was over my head at the time, but it's in the WWDC Objective-c 2.0 overview.

 

 

Quote:
The reason why they are analysts is because they failed at running businesses.

 

Reply

 

 

Quote:
The reason why they are analysts is because they failed at running businesses.

 

Reply
post #108 of 395
Intel has lifted the embargo off Yorkfield. Benchmark reviews are coming in. A peek at things to come.

Some better performance over the 65nm predecessor (as expected) but damn there is a NICE drop in power consumption.

Anandtech
TechReport
Hot Hardware
post #109 of 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowayout11 View Post

Intel has lifted the embargo off Yorkfield. Benchmark reviews are coming in. A peek at things to come.

Some better performance over the 65nm predecessor (as expected) but damn there is a NICE drop in power consumption.

Anandtech
TechReport
Hot Hardware

The companies selling Blade Centers are ecstatic with these results. Power consumption reduced by roughly a %30 avg between Idle and Load is going to be HUGE for Datacenters.

AMD fanboys have grown pretty damn silent over the last 18 months.
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
Reply
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
Reply
post #110 of 395
Is it going to be announce tomorrow? MacPro and Displays. I sure hope so.
Leopard is out, Apple could very well announce it tomorrow with shipping dates 2 weeks from now matching the Intel schedule to release the chips by middle of November.

Oh man. Bring it on!!!! I am tired of waiting!
MacPro 12 core
30" & 23" Apple Cinema HD Displays
PowerBook G4 550, MacBook Pro 2.2
Ipod 1G and 5G, Shuffle 2G, iPhone 3G
Reply
MacPro 12 core
30" & 23" Apple Cinema HD Displays
PowerBook G4 550, MacBook Pro 2.2
Ipod 1G and 5G, Shuffle 2G, iPhone 3G
Reply
post #111 of 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by gugy View Post

Is it going to be announce tomorrow? MacPro and Displays. I sure hope so.
Leopard is out, Apple could very well announce it tomorrow with shipping dates 2 weeks from now matching the Intel schedule to release the chips by middle of November.

Oh man. Bring it on!!!! I am tired of waiting!

I would be surprised if Apple pre-announced the Mac Pros. However, now that the embargo is off for the press, Apple could, if the rumors are true, announce early availability of the Penryn Mac Pros.

I'm thinking Tuesday, November 6th, to get almost a week head start on everyone else. Besides, there seems to be some buzz about that date, albeit with a MacBook overtone.
"Too much of a good thing is great." Mae West
Reply
"Too much of a good thing is great." Mae West
Reply
post #112 of 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

The companies selling Blade Centers are ecstatic with these results. Power consumption reduced by roughly a %30 avg between Idle and Load is going to be HUGE for Datacenters.

AMD fanboys have grown pretty damn silent over the last 18 months.

There were a couple reports this year that showed AMD to have some power advantages in servers. This turn of events might change things.
post #113 of 395
Has the Pro desktop ever been revved in November? (I mean a full retrofit, as opposed to a spec bump.)

I seem to recall that Apple usually uses MWSF as their preferred launch pad for new Pro desktops.
If it's a major overhaul, I can certainly see them holding back the announcement.

AFAIK, no-one has reported abnormally low desktop supplies or major retailers designating them EOL.

Don't raise your hopes on a whim. Apple is all strategy when it comes to their Big Money machines.
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
Reply
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
Reply
post #114 of 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

Has the Pro desktop ever been revved in November? (I mean a full retrofit, as opposed to a spec bump.)

I seem to recall that Apple usually uses MWSF as their preferred launch pad for new Pro desktops.
If it's a major overhaul, I can certainly see them holding back the announcement.

In recent years, pro desktops have been announced in the middle of the calendar year. The G5s and upgrades as well as the Mac Pros and upgrades have been mid-year. So, there's really no precedent. I wouldn't expect Apple to wait until January if they have something ready, unless January is a lot closer by the time it is ready.
post #115 of 395
It's been over a year already...

Quad core and an Octo core range.

£1000-2600.

There's plenty of room there for 2 sets of 3 towers.

One set for mortals. The other for the immortals.

Lemon Bon Bon.

You know, for a company that specializes in the video-graphics market, you'd think that they would offer top-of-the-line GPUs...

 

WITH THE NEW MAC PRO THEY FINALLY DID!  (But you bend over for it.)

Reply

You know, for a company that specializes in the video-graphics market, you'd think that they would offer top-of-the-line GPUs...

 

WITH THE NEW MAC PRO THEY FINALLY DID!  (But you bend over for it.)

Reply
post #116 of 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by iDave View Post

In recent years, pro desktops have been announced in the middle of the calendar year. The G5s and upgrades as well as the Mac Pros and upgrades have been mid-year. So, there's really no precedent. I wouldn't expect Apple to wait until January if they have something ready, unless January is a lot closer by the time it is ready.

Actually the Mac Pro and powermacs have been released at WWDC more often than MWSF in past last few years, but I think november is NOT going to happen. There is no reason to announce a Pro grade computer of that expense for the holiday season. Apple knows that, and will hold off. MWSF is January, and Tax refunds are in February. My guess is still MWSF. It would be a poorly orchestrated release for a computer in that price range during the holidays. Nobody would have the money for it after holiday gifts, and it's too much to be a holiday gift. The loss of sales would reflect poorly in the quarterly report.
onlooker
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: parts unknown




http://www.apple.com/feedback/macpro.html
Reply
onlooker
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: parts unknown




http://www.apple.com/feedback/macpro.html
Reply
post #117 of 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlooker View Post

Actually the Mac Pro and powermacs have been released at WWDC more often than MWSF in past last few years, but I think november is NOT going to happen. There is no reason to announce a Pro grade computer of that expense for the holiday season. Apple knows that, and will hold off. MWSF is January, and Tax refunds are in February. My guess is still MWSF. It would be a poorly orchestrated release for a computer in that price range during the holidays. Nobody would have the money for it after holiday gifts, and it's too much to be a holiday gift. The loss of sales would reflect poorly in the quarterly report.

I have to disagree. The majority of buyers are companies, not individuals. Hence, the holiday season analogy is not as important. Granted, there are individuals, like me as a freelancer, that will buy a new Mac Pro when they come out. But the holidays don't figure into it for me, I have budgeted the money for this purchase and am simply waiting for the updated hardware. It is a business decision for me, not a personal one.

The new Penryns come out in about three weeks. If Apple doesn't announce anything within that timeframe, then I agree that you will probably not see anything until MWSF. But that is probably due to Intel not being able to ship sufficient CPUs as opposed to a holiday hold-off.
"Too much of a good thing is great." Mae West
Reply
"Too much of a good thing is great." Mae West
Reply
post #118 of 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlooker View Post

Actually the Mac Pro and powermacs have been released at WWDC more often than MWSF in past last few years, but I think november is NOT going to happen. There is no reason to announce a Pro grade computer of that expense for the holiday season. Apple knows that, and will hold off. MWSF is January, and Tax refunds are in February. My guess is still MWSF. It would be a poorly orchestrated release for a computer in that price range during the holidays. Nobody would have the money for it after holiday gifts, and it's too much to be a holiday gift. The loss of sales would reflect poorly in the quarterly report.

We're talking about a professional grade computer, mostly purchased by businesses, not individuals. Many such businesses like to make such purchases before the end of the year. Regardless, I don't agree with your reasoning (which kind of contradicts itself). I think Apple will release a new Mac Pro when the computer is ready, unless it's ready within just a few weeks of a major event like WWDC or Macworld, in which case they might delay introduction for the event. If Apple was concerned about people not having money after the holidays, they would have rescheduled MWSF years ago, perhaps to March or April when some people really get tax refunds.
post #119 of 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlooker View Post

Actually the Mac Pro and powermacs have been released at WWDC more often than MWSF in past last few years, but I think november is NOT going to happen. There is no reason to announce a Pro grade computer of that expense for the holiday season. Apple knows that, and will hold off. MWSF is January, and Tax refunds are in February. My guess is still MWSF. It would be a poorly orchestrated release for a computer in that price range during the holidays. Nobody would have the money for it after holiday gifts, and it's too much to be a holiday gift. The loss of sales would reflect poorly in the quarterly report.

PowerMac G5 Quad was announced late October 2005.
post #120 of 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

PowerMac G5 Quad was announced late October 2005.

Yep, that's when I bought my G5. Except for then, all recent pro machines have come mid-year, so who knows what will happen. If Apple isn't selling many Mac Pros, they may not be in any hurry to upgrade them, much like the mini.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple to fire up Penryn-based Mac Pros