or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Study: iPhone already nibbling away at Motorola's market lead

Study: iPhone already nibbling away at Motorola's market lead - Page 2

post #41 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Now you are willing to show some patience? This is what many of us have been saying to people complaining about features.

No... what you originally said was that the iPhone could take 2-3 years or longer to go 3G, and that that would be just fine. Obviously, that time table was way too long.

Apple will without a doubt be going 3G for the Asian launch, next year. And even that may be too much patience, if the feedback from our Euro friends on this forum is any indication. I mean... GPRS for data in most areas with the O2 network in the UK? 30 kbps??? What is it, 1995?

So yeah, they'll get there... more quickly than you anticipated, and more slowly than and I and a lot of others would like.

Quote:
No one has yet figured out how to make a phone with a long feature list and have all of those features easy to use. Usually some features are easy to access and use at the expense of other features being difficult to access and use.

Few of the features mentioned are particularly complex or difficult. It's easy to send picture messages already, even on el cheapo phones. Voice-dialing? Okay, its possible Apple has a fresh take on that, I'll try to give 'em the benefit of the doubt, but there are existing voice dialing systems that work fairly well. GPS? Looots of phones have this, why doesn't the iPhone? 3G? Steve claims its a battery life issue (though ppl think he's exaggerating), it certainly doesn't have to do with ease of use.

It's just funny... all the stuff mentioned is pretty much standard for high-end phones nowadays, heck even midrange phones, yet Apple didn't bother to include it. They eventually will, but some of the features they chose to have be MIA for iPhone 1.0 were just unusual choices, to say the least.

Brit friends I know just shake their heads and laugh at the missing pic messaging, and yeah, the no 3G. \

Cut-copy-paste, MMS, landscape keyboard, video-recording, voice-calling, and more... FINALLY
To the 'We Didn't Need It' Crowd/Apple Apologista Squad : Wrong again, lol
Thanks for listening to your...
Cut-copy-paste, MMS, landscape keyboard, video-recording, voice-calling, and more... FINALLY
post #42 of 53
double
post #43 of 53
Quote:
No... what you originally said was that the iPhone could take 2-3 years or longer to go 3G, and that that would be just fine. Obviously, that time table was way too long.

I'm tired of you misquoting me, so I've found that conversation we had back in June.

Here is what you said.

Yup. So glad I'm not getting iPhone 1.0. The planned obsolescence angle may make Apple a lot of money, but it sure isn't playing nice with customers... and may hurt them in the end, if any credible competitors step forward faster than anticipated

And here is my response.

Well every electronic product we buy has some type of planned obsolescence. What would be the point of Playstation 3 or XBox 360? None of us have any idea when Apple would introduce a new iPhone. The video iPod has not had a major update in nearly two years.

Apple has said each iPhone will receive free software upgrades for two years. Which means Apple needs to put in hardware today that will handle new software two years from now. Apple may not make a radically new iPhone in that time.

Here is the link

To add some clarity for you to my statement. I was talking about an entire hardware update. Meaning the screen, the processor, the graphics, the wireless chips, the battery, the flash memory, I was not talking about 3G specifically.

Jobs has said Apple will add 3G next year. 3G in and of itself does not make the current version obsolete as Apple has promised to support it with new updates for 2 years. My point is after that 2 years is when Apple is more likely to radically update the phone with more capable hardware, that may make the current version more obsolete.

EDIT:

What I mean by obsolete. Version 2 would enable developers to create apps that either don't work well or work at all on version 1.
post #44 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

I'm tired of you misquoting me, so I've found that conversation we had back in June.

Sigh. Teno, you know as well as I do that we went back and forth with DOZENS of posts, on several different threads, back before the iPhone launch, talking about 3G and lack thereof... you quote only one post.

Trust me, you did say that Apple wouldn't need to go 3G for 2 years at least, and that would be 'fine by you'. Why is it so very difficult for you to admit that you were wrong on that? No one bats a thousand, after all. Ah well. \

post #45 of 53
Yes we did go back and forth about 3G. You keep accusing me of saying definitively for certain that Apple would not launch a 3G iPhone for two years, when I never said that.

My point was that the iPhone would sell well without 3G in the near term. And that I did not believe Apple would launch a 3G iPhone at MW '08.

Show me where I argued that Apple will not have 3G for two years.
post #46 of 53
Ok you two, GET A ROOM!
post #47 of 53
Teno, I'm not gonna split hairs with you or whether you said something 'definitively' or not. I'm just gonna repeat what I stated earlier, which is true:

No... what you originally said was that the iPhone could take 2-3 years or longer to go 3G, and that that would be just fine. Obviously, that timetable was way too long.

I remember what you said. I'm not gonna waste time searching through hundreds of posts on several threads from six months ago, unless I get reeeeeaaaalllllyyyy bored one evening. Its called having a life. \

My condolences on your apparently fragile ego, but there it is. I'm sure you're right on some things, but not this thing. Now stop carping, before you become a reason to stop visiting AI.

And to Johnny Mozorella: LOL.

post #48 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBaggins View Post

Teno, I'm not gonna split hairs with you or whether you said something 'definitively' or not. I'm just gonna repeat what I stated earlier, which is true:

No... what you originally said was that the iPhone could take 2-3 years or longer to go 3G, and that that would be just fine. Obviously, that timetable was way too long.

I remember what you said. I'm not gonna waste time searching through hundreds of posts on several threads from six months ago, unless I get reeeeeaaaalllllyyyy bored one evening. Its called having a life. \

My condolences on your apparently fragile ego, but there it is. I'm sure you're right on some things, but not this thing. Now stop carping, before you become a reason to stop visiting AI.

I think you should at least acknowledge that there is a change that you are remembering something else. Our own memory can easily fail a lot more than we think it can, a simple entry level psych student experiment can show that. Right now, it looks like it's your memory vs. his. I remember almost nothing I read or wrote on this site three months ago, so why do you make a pissing contest about it with someone else?

An observer wouldn't know which is better but at this point, it's a ridiculous argument anyway, with nothing at stake other than your ego and his, and not an interesting discussion to observe, and it's partly your fault too. I don't think it makes sense to bring up a relatively unimportant position someone had months ago. You say you have a life, but participating in this sort of bickering is a weird contradiction.
post #49 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I think you should at least acknowledge that there is a change that you are remembering something else. Our own memory can easily fail a lot more than we think it can, a simple entry level psych student experiment can show that. Right now, it looks like it's your memory vs. his. I remember almost nothing I read or wrote on this site three months ago, so why do you make a pissing contest about it with someone else?

An observer wouldn't know which is better but at this point, it's a ridiculous argument anyway, with nothing at stake other than your ego and his, and not an interesting discussion to observe, and it's partly your fault too. I don't think it makes sense to bring up a relatively unimportant position someone had months ago. You say you have a life, but participating in this sort of bickering is a weird contradiction.

I'm sorry you feel that way. To me, its a settled issue... me and Teno have gone over it repeatedly, enough so that what he said is pretty much burned into memory, I don't really have to look it up anymore. I'm sure a psych student can demonstrate that process as well. \

I concur that it's an annoying disagreement, but it's one thats been kept alive largely due to Teno just not being able to accept that he was off about something, and wishing to split hairs about same. I guess I could just go along with that, but I have this thing where to me reality is an absolute.... it's a principle thing. Do I enjoy the carping? Heck no.

That said, it's terribly easy to barge into the middle of a disagreement, any disagreement, and pass judgement on all involved. Beware the altitude on that high horse, Jeff, the fall can be a doozy.

post #50 of 53
Quote:

That said, it's terribly easy to barge into the middle of a disagreement, any disagreement, and pass judgement on all involved. Beware the altitude on that high horse, Jeff, the fall can be a doozy.

Of course. I don't claim to be perfect. I know I can be a dick or look like a dick in doing that, but that doesn't mean that your little argument, guided by principle or not, is not dickish. In short, I call dickish pettiness in your little argument. People have called on me for the same thing, in many different word phrases though, but you get the idea.
post #51 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Of course. I know I can be a dick or look like a dick in doing that, but that doesn't mean that your little argument, guided by principle or not, is not dickish.

I get that. But unfortunately, sometimes you have to be a dick, because the alternative- reality is whatever someone says it is - is not acceptable by thinking persons. \

post #52 of 53
Quote:

I get that. But unfortunately, sometimes you have to be a dick, because the alternative- reality is whatever someone says it is - is not acceptable by thinking persons. \

If you think you're doing that to stop Teno from perpetrating something, that really doesn't make sense.

I did sped a few minutes putting keywords in the emails that AI sent me, and I didn't find such a discussion between the two of you on that topic.
post #53 of 53
Quote:

I concur that it's an annoying disagreement, but it's one thats been kept alive largely due to Teno just not being able to accept that he was off about something, and wishing to split hairs about same.

Well, quoting YOURSELF saying that someone said X is stupid if trying to assert someone said X. Try quoting TenoBell saying X and you might actually have a flipping point.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Study: iPhone already nibbling away at Motorola's market lead