or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Linux with Bootcamp
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Linux with Bootcamp

post #1 of 26
Thread Starter 
I know i can run windows xp and vista with bootcamp but is it possible to have a triple boot style system on a mac book pro where i can run linux and bsd?
iPwn
Reply
iPwn
Reply
post #2 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwnage View Post

I know i can run windows xp and vista with bootcamp but is it possible to have a triple boot style system on a mac book pro where i can run linux and bsd?

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...=Google+Search
post #3 of 26
Thread Starter 
Quote:



Sometimes a simple answer is more helpful, is it possible to boot bsd, are there any tutorials?
iPwn
Reply
iPwn
Reply
post #4 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwnage View Post

Sometimes a simple answer is more helpful, is it possible to boot bsd, are there any tutorials?

Yes and yes.
Crentist?! That sounds an awful lot like *dentist.*
Maybe thats why he wanted to be a dentist!
Reply
Crentist?! That sounds an awful lot like *dentist.*
Maybe thats why he wanted to be a dentist!
Reply
post #5 of 26
Thread Starter 


Where can I find a tutorial outlining how to boot BSD on a Macbook Pro under Boot Camp?
iPwn
Reply
iPwn
Reply
post #6 of 26
http://wiki.netbsd.se/How_to_install...ook_w/core2duo

BTW, *BSD is generally several years behind linux in usability and drivers and such. I'd go w/ linux, myself.
post #7 of 26
Thread Starter 
I know people that would dissagree with you, but I do like linux better, is there any way to boot linux with osx in a dual boot situation, without bootcamp? Would that be a more desirable way to go?
iPwn
Reply
iPwn
Reply
post #8 of 26
You could, but it would be a nightmare, and no, not a desireable way to go.

Boot Camp is designed to make multiple OSes easy on a Mac.
post #9 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwnage View Post

Sometimes a simple answer is more helpful, is it possible to boot bsd, are there any tutorials?

GRUB 2: Grand Unified Bootloader 2.0 on Intel EFI enabled Hardware (Macs included)

http://grub.enbug.org/TestingOnEFI

You could take your Partitioned drive and from within the OS X partition, split it up how you want to include Boot Camp to run say XP or whatever.

GRUB 2 will let you run your BSDs and Linux on other partitions.
post #10 of 26
It's extremely easy to boot into BSD on a computer with Mac OS X. You already are.
Cat: the other white meat
Reply
Cat: the other white meat
Reply
post #11 of 26
LOL.

I used LILO successfully, never got GRUB to work. YMMV.
post #12 of 26
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1337_5L4Xx0R View Post

LOL.

I used LILO successfully, never got GRUB to work. YMMV.

With lilo i think it can work without boot camp, or is lilo not compatable with the newest macbook pros? Grub works though from what I hear, but I cant find any tutorials.
iPwn
Reply
iPwn
Reply
post #13 of 26
Use Bootcamp. Period. Use it to partition your hard disk, use Option at startup to choose your OSes.

If you don't you will regret it.

AFA grub, seriously google "EFI Macbook Grub"

Edit: Also, neither LILO nor Grub are 'replacements' for boot camp. They work in tandem with it.

Boot option -> Lilo/grub -> Linux
post #14 of 26
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1337_5L4Xx0R View Post

Use Bootcamp. Period. Use it to partition your hard disk, use Option at startup to choose your OSes.

If you don't you will regret it.

AFA grub, seriously google "EFI Macbook Grub"

Edit: Also, neither LILO nor Grub are 'replacements' for boot camp. They work in tandem with it.

Boot option -> Lilo/grub -> Linux

Ok so just so I got this right, I would install bootcamp, and in bootcamp, install grub/lilo, then from that I can book both windows/linux?
iPwn
Reply
iPwn
Reply
post #15 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1337_5L4Xx0R View Post

Use Bootcamp. Period. Use it to partition your hard disk, use Option at startup to choose your OSes.

Or use refit, really better than the boot menu from Apple.
post #16 of 26
Bootcamp is a set of utilities to facilitate booting other OSes off you Mac/intel.

You use it to non-destructively partition your HD. This sets aside space for other OSes. If you intend to run windows, Boot Camp will also allow you to burn a CD/DVD with drivers for your Mac-ish hardware, eg: keyboard, graphics card, etc.

Lilo/Grub are bootloaders. This means they grab the kernel off your Linux partition, which starts the boot process. They'll also allow you to boot into windows, if you have a triple boot setup.

If you have any questions, google knows all. That's how I found out how to get linux up and running on my MBP C2D.
post #17 of 26
Thread Starter 
Are all of the devices for a Macbook Pro supported on Linux? I know that they might not have official drivers, but are they somewhat supported through open source drivers?
iPwn
Reply
iPwn
Reply
post #18 of 26
Is it possible to do more than 1 bootcamp partition? I'd like to load windows and linux (or sun OS).
post #19 of 26
Thread Starter 
I dont think you can book sun os on a mac.
iPwn
Reply
iPwn
Reply
post #20 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwnage View Post

I dont think you can book sun os on a mac.

Linux for x86 is working. I don't see why sun os for x86 couldn't work.
post #21 of 26
Thread Starter 
From what Ive seen online, it is possible to boot either windows or Linux, but not both, so you can have a MBP that boots OSX and Windows in Bootcamp or OSX and Linux in boot camp, I don't think that its possible to have the ability to boot all three, Bootcamp doesn't allow it.
iPwn
Reply
iPwn
Reply
post #22 of 26
From what I am hearing (I don't use Bootcamp) you can boot into OSX, Windows or Linux, but one at a time. Bootcamp does not do virtualization. For that you will need VMWare or Parallels. There was a report coming out of Macworld that one of these companies even showed their product running OSX Client, OSX Server, Vista and Linux all at the same time on the same machine. But that feature will not be out until sometime this summer.
What goes online stays online. What is online will become public.
Reply
What goes online stays online. What is online will become public.
Reply
post #23 of 26
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by aresee View Post

From what I am hearing (I don't use Bootcamp) you can boot into OSX, Windows or Linux, but one at a time. Bootcamp does not do virtualization. For that you will need VMWare or Parallels. There was a report coming out of Macworld that one of these companies even showed their product running OSX Client, OSX Server, Vista and Linux all at the same time on the same machine. But that feature will not be out until sometime this summer.


What i meant was you only have the option of one os in bootcamp, when you restart your mac, you go to bootcamp it will only allow you one other OS, it can be windows or linux, but it doesn't let you install both and choose between either one when you go into bootcamp.

Or atleast thats what it sounds like from what I hear.
iPwn
Reply
iPwn
Reply
post #24 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwnage View Post

I know people that would dissagree with you, but I do like linux better, is there any way to boot linux with osx in a dual boot situation, without bootcamp? Would that be a more desirable way to go?

Hmmm,

You must have some heavily-used applications to want to continue to use Linux when you've got a Mac. I bought a Mac to replace my Linux computer. It was getting old, having to have both Linux and Windows machines running to do what ONE Mac can do. Safely. Without putting on 5 condoms before touching a single computer, even on the internal network. I did it for 8 years, and I finally had enough.

This Mac experience is like a dream, considering that I was a power user on linux. Wow!
post #25 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splinemodel View Post

It's extremely easy to boot into BSD on a computer with Mac OS X. You already are.

Exactly! My point! It works. Everything works out of the box. Video. Audio. Camera. Scanner. Pretty painless compared to Linux. I say this because I am not in the computer field anymore, and I just don't have the time to tinker with getting all these things working.

I don't know about the commercial versions of Linux, but I have found that NONE of the free Linux distros will have ALL multimedia programs working straight out of the box. Heck, I don't even know if it's even legal to have codecs installed on a Linux box. Can a Federal agent familiar with the issues shopping at Fry's while off-duty have Linux boxes shutdown and confiscated if he sees them playing DVD's?
post #26 of 26
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittenmeyer View Post

Exactly! My point! It works. Everything works out of the box. Video. Audio. Camera. Scanner. Pretty painless compared to Linux. I say this because I am not in the computer field anymore, and I just don't have the time to tinker with getting all these things working.

I don't know about the commercial versions of Linux, but I have found that NONE of the free Linux distros will have ALL multimedia programs working straight out of the box. Heck, I don't even know if it's even legal to have codecs installed on a Linux box. Can a Federal agent familiar with the issues shopping at Fry's while off-duty have Linux boxes shutdown and confiscated if he sees them playing DVD's?


That doesnt mean that people dont want the choice.
iPwn
Reply
iPwn
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Linux with Bootcamp