or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Erasing Files Stored By Time Machine
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Erasing Files Stored By Time Machine

post #1 of 11
Thread Starter 
there are times when you really want to totally erase a file or application, permanently - "Secure Empty Trash." Will that also wipe it off and overwrite the Time Machine backup disk?
post #2 of 11
Ahhh I see so you're wanting to delete porn...
Switched permenantly! 12/08/2006
Unibody MacBook Pro ▪ 2.66Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo ▪ 4Gb Ram ▪ 500Gb 7200rpm HD ▪ Geforce 9600M GT ▪ Wireless Mighty Mouse ▪ Silver iPod Classic 160GB ▪ Black iPhone 3GS...
Reply
Switched permenantly! 12/08/2006
Unibody MacBook Pro ▪ 2.66Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo ▪ 4Gb Ram ▪ 500Gb 7200rpm HD ▪ Geforce 9600M GT ▪ Wireless Mighty Mouse ▪ Silver iPod Classic 160GB ▪ Black iPhone 3GS...
Reply
post #3 of 11
I don't thing SET will do it, but according to Apple's site:

"You can also delete a single file or folder that you’ve been backing up — and delete it from all of your backups going back in time."
post #4 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisDaMacMan View Post

Ahhh I see so you're wanting to delete porn...

hahahahaha
MacBook Pro
2.2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
2GB 667 DDR2 SDRAM - 2x1GB
120GB Serial ATA Drive@5400rpm
SuperDrive 8x
15" Glossy Widescreen Display

with a wireless Apple keyboard

and

iPod Touch
8GB
Reply
MacBook Pro
2.2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
2GB 667 DDR2 SDRAM - 2x1GB
120GB Serial ATA Drive@5400rpm
SuperDrive 8x
15" Glossy Widescreen Display

with a wireless Apple keyboard

and

iPod Touch
8GB
Reply
post #5 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisDaMacMan View Post

Ahhh I see so you're wanting to delete porn...

While that is funny, I can see the OP's point. For instance, if I want to delete some old financial or client files that I no longer need, I do not want a copy hanging out in TM that I will, no doubt, forget about.

I hope that Apple did think about some of these issues (and I'm betting that if they didn't we will see updates addressing them shortly).
"Too much of a good thing is great." Mae West
Reply
"Too much of a good thing is great." Mae West
Reply
post #6 of 11
Thread Starter 
wouldn't be dumb enough to save porn to start with, MacMan, maybe that's your problem. too many funky bugs in that stuff.

ever been sued? basic rule in business in the digital age is to be careful with universal backup (and what you write in emails of course). even 'working drafts' can come back to haunt you.

thanks for the good info Agent Orange. hope they link that to SET (or in the same dialogue box) to make it easy.
post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfiejr View Post

wouldn't be dumb enough to save porn to start with, MacMan, maybe that's your problem. too many funky bugs in that stuff.

ever been sued? basic rule in business in the digital age is to be careful with universal backup (and what you write in emails of course). even 'working drafts' can come back to haunt you.

thanks for the good info Agent Orange. hope they link that to SET (or in the same dialogue box) to make it easy.

This can be achieved when in the Time Machine browser using the Finder's Action Menu item "Delete All Backups of "your file name". This will cause Time Machine (backupd process) to go thru all the backups and remove the file or folder you've selected.

Apple and testers did think of this one.
Regards
Reply
Regards
Reply
post #8 of 11
Well, if you had one file to delete, this feature may be good enough. But you got so much "hot" stuff, which you may not even remember the names, you'd better erase the backup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bxs6408 View Post

This can be achieved when in the Time Machine browser using the Finder's Action Menu item "Delete All Backups of "your file name". This will cause Time Machine (backupd process) to go thru all the backups and remove the file or folder you've selected.

Apple and testers did think of this one.
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbles View Post

Well, if you had one file to delete, this feature may be good enough. But you got so much "hot" stuff, which you may not even remember the names, you'd better erase the backup.

LOL - if it's that "hot" then best not to backup anything. Just throw it into /dev/null IMMEDIATELY or simply avoid the "hot" stuff.
Regards
Reply
Regards
Reply
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by bxs6408 View Post

This can be achieved when in the Time Machine browser using the Finder's Action Menu item "Delete All Backups of "your file name". This will cause Time Machine (backupd process) to go thru all the backups and remove the file or folder you've selected.

Apple and testers did think of this one.

Alfiejr's porn will be safe. Huzzah!
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbles View Post

Well, if you had one file to delete, this feature may be good enough. But you got so much "hot" stuff, which you may not even remember the names, you'd better erase the backup.

A good point about sensitive files. I wonder if the Finder Action Menu in Time Machine could remove files with a particular label and perhaps "created before such-and-such date".

Sounds like a little pre-planning would be helpful.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Erasing Files Stored By Time Machine