or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › New Apple Cinema Display?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New Apple Cinema Display? - Page 3

post #81 of 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJNY View Post

Dell announced a fancy display for CES:
http://www.dell.com/content/topics/t...=us&l=en&s=gen

Is that thing glossy? Yeuch! Ptooey!

What's with all the excess bezel on the sides? Pretty weird.
post #82 of 194
http://gizmodo.com/339805/ultra+pret...-now-available



No thanks.



Just wreaks of being fragile and cracking.
post #83 of 194
It certainly is a departure for Dell industrial-design-wise.
Member
Registered: Dec. 98
Reply
Member
Registered: Dec. 98
Reply
post #84 of 194
apple will top that with an all glass display:






and it will be made of diamond so it will never break or even scratch.

post #85 of 194
I think I'm in love with the idea of a super panoramic display! The Alienware and NEC demos from CES sparked my interest:



This resolution is 2880 x 900 (essentially two 1440x900 screens). It uses DLP rear projection tech in order to get the curviness. Anyways, I don't necessarily care about that. I do like the idea of a super-widescreen flat panel LCD display.

Say, 24" diag 2560x960, 30" 3200x1200 and 42" 3840x1440 res displays for $600, $1200 and $2000 while the usual 16:10 aspect ratio displays of 20, 24, and 30 inches could go for $400, $600, $1500. Pipe dream I know.
post #86 of 194
If you could get a 30-inch ultra-wide screen for $1200, why would anyone buy the usual 16:10 30-inch screen for $1500...
post #87 of 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by jowie74 View Post

If you could get a 30-inch ultra-wide screen for $1200, why would anyone buy the usual 16:10 30-inch screen for $1500...

I don't see any real advantage to a super wide screen. For certain applications it might be handy, just like for certain applications a tall screen would be handy.

You can get a 30" 16:10 display for about $1200. To me, 16:10 seems about right.
post #88 of 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by jowie74 View Post

If you could get a 30-inch ultra-wide screen for $1200, why would anyone buy the usual 16:10 30-inch screen for $1500...

Because the 16:10 30" screen is bigger! An 8:3 30" screen would be 28x11 (W x L) inches while a 16:10 (8:5) 30" screen would be 25x16 inches. This means the 16:10 30" screen would have 67% more area and 37% more pixels (using the 100.6 dpi of the current 30"). If a 30" 4:3 screen was available, it would be even bigger.
post #89 of 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by iDave View Post

I don't see any real advantage to a super wide screen. For certain applications it might be handy, just like for certain applications a tall screen would be handy.

Well, I do have certain applications in mind, but it's about using many of them at the same time. The aspect ratios I choose were specific. A 30" 8:3 screen would be like 2 18" 4:3 screens connected to each other. It would be better than a multi monitor arrangement as there won't be a visual discontinuity between monitors. My workflow often times requires me to look at one thing while editing another.

Wasn't even thinking about games. I could probably think of a few ergonomic reasons as well for why wider aspect ratios is better than continuing to make the screen larger while maintaining the same aspect ratios.
post #90 of 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by iDave View Post

I don't see any real advantage to a super wide screen. For certain applications it might be handy, just like for certain applications a tall screen would be handy.

That is why I wish Apple would make the ACD with swivel capabilities. For Photoshop and Illustrator I love a wide screen for palettes and menus. But for InDesign and some word processing docs, I would love to be able to swivel the screen and use it in a vertical orientation for working on a whole page without having to scroll up and down to see margins, headers, footers and what all.

BTW, I noticed on the Mac Pro page that Front Row and iLife are now included on MPs. Isn't that new? Could it mean new ACDs with camera and IR remotes?
"Too much of a good thing is great." Mae West
Reply
"Too much of a good thing is great." Mae West
Reply
post #91 of 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by donebylee View Post

That is why I wish Apple would make the ACD with swivel capabilities. For Photoshop and Illustrator I love a wide screen for palettes and menus. But for InDesign and some word processing docs, I would love to be able to swivel the screen and use it in a vertical orientation for working on a whole page without having to scroll up and down to see margins, headers, footers and what all.

BTW, I noticed on the Mac Pro page that Front Row and iLife are now included on MPs. Isn't that new? Could it mean new ACDs with camera and IR remotes?

I hope they bring out new displays. I am ready to drop some my money on a Mac Pro and a 30" ACD. Come on Macworld!
post #92 of 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by suneohair View Post

I hope they bring out new displays. I am ready to drop some my money on a Mac Pro and a 30" ACD. Come on Macworld!

Hey suneohair, I have already ordered my Mac Pro, now I am just waiting to see if I am going to be ordering a new ACD to go with it.

Just about 1 day and 13 hours from now we will see what is what.

Cheers
"Too much of a good thing is great." Mae West
Reply
"Too much of a good thing is great." Mae West
Reply
post #93 of 194
I was at Best Buy today and saw Gateway's 30" display for $1699.

Given that it's $400. cheaper than the 30" Apple display, I may go for it if the Keynote doesn't offer some price breaks.
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
Reply
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
Reply
post #94 of 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

I was at Best Buy today and saw Gateway's 30" display for $1699.

Given that it's $400. cheaper than the 30" Apple display, I may go for it if the Keynote doesn't offer some price breaks.

Where do you get $400 difference? Apple's 30" CD is not $2099. $1799! A $100 difference.

\tApple Cinema HD Display (30" flat panel) [Add $1799]


http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL...=AppleDisplays

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL...vInB1de/2.?p=0
2009 Quad 2.66 Mac Pro, 12 GB OWC RAM, ATI 4870, Wi-Fi Card 802.11n, AppleCare, 4 WD Caviar Black 1TB HD's, 2 SuperDrives, 24" Apple LED Display.
Reply
2009 Quad 2.66 Mac Pro, 12 GB OWC RAM, ATI 4870, Wi-Fi Card 802.11n, AppleCare, 4 WD Caviar Black 1TB HD's, 2 SuperDrives, 24" Apple LED Display.
Reply
post #95 of 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

I was at Best Buy today and saw Gateway's 30" display for $1699.

Given that it's $400. cheaper than the 30" Apple display, I may go for it if the Keynote doesn't offer some price breaks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royboy View Post

Where do you get $400 difference? Apple's 30" CD is not $2099. $1799! A $100 difference.

\tApple Cinema HD Display (30" flat panel) [Add $1799]

And if you're a member of NAPP then it is actually less than the Gateway at $1655.
"Too much of a good thing is great." Mae West
Reply
"Too much of a good thing is great." Mae West
Reply
post #96 of 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royboy View Post

Where do you get $400 difference? Apple's 30" CD is not $2099.

Yes it is $2099. I'm Canadian.
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
Reply
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
Reply
post #97 of 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

Yes it is $2099. I'm Canadian.

Oh.
"Too much of a good thing is great." Mae West
Reply
"Too much of a good thing is great." Mae West
Reply
post #98 of 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

Yes it is $2099. I'm Canadian.

Oh! 2
2009 Quad 2.66 Mac Pro, 12 GB OWC RAM, ATI 4870, Wi-Fi Card 802.11n, AppleCare, 4 WD Caviar Black 1TB HD's, 2 SuperDrives, 24" Apple LED Display.
Reply
2009 Quad 2.66 Mac Pro, 12 GB OWC RAM, ATI 4870, Wi-Fi Card 802.11n, AppleCare, 4 WD Caviar Black 1TB HD's, 2 SuperDrives, 24" Apple LED Display.
Reply
post #99 of 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by suneohair View Post

I hope they bring out new displays. I am ready to drop some my money on a Mac Pro and a 30" ACD. Come on Macworld!

I, too, was waiting on ordering a Mac Pro--waiting for Apple to release a new 23"/24" ACD today. The last 23" ACD was released in August '06, was hoping for a new 23" or 24" unit with a faster response time and built-in iSight. Guess it's not going to happen today?
post #100 of 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by da2357 View Post

I, too, was waiting on ordering a Mac Pro--waiting for Apple to release a new 23"/24" ACD today. The last 23" ACD was released in August '06, was hoping for a new 23" or 24" unit with a faster response time and built-in iSight. Guess it's not going to happen today?

I have a thread here that is specifically speculating on when we will see new ACDs, or whether Apple will abandon them altogether.

The thinking right now is that if Apple is going to continue selling monitors, then we will see them at NAB in April. That will make it over 2 years since the last refresh.

For me, that may be Apple's last chance to get another $2000 out of my pockets. My Formacs are going on 6 years old and I am in need of a new monitor. NEC's recently announced 30-inch professional monitor will be my next purchase if there is no joy from Apple.
"Too much of a good thing is great." Mae West
Reply
"Too much of a good thing is great." Mae West
Reply
post #101 of 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by suneohair View Post

I hope they bring out new displays. I am ready to drop some my money on a Mac Pro and a 30" ACD. Come on Macworld!

Dude,

You got banned AGAIN over at MR????

What did you do this time?
12" Powerbook|1.5GHz|Maxed Out
Harpertown Mac Pro (3-5 week delay)
^Graphics obsolete in 512 days!^
Reply
12" Powerbook|1.5GHz|Maxed Out
Harpertown Mac Pro (3-5 week delay)
^Graphics obsolete in 512 days!^
Reply
post #102 of 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by donebylee View Post

I have a thread here that is specifically speculating on when we will see new ACDs, or whether Apple will abandon them altogether.

Why did we need another thread on the same subject?


Jobs gets all excited about making quantum leaps with products. He's no doubt holding out so that he can send out a press release trumpeting Apple's move to an all-LED, mercury-free lineup, and then he'll trash every single competitor who offers LCDs with mercury in them.

Obviously the move is taking longer than thought, which is why they updated the Mac Pros without new displays.
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
Reply
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
Reply
post #103 of 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isomorphic View Post

Watts. Longevity. Color.

....incept dates...
2011 13" 2.3 MBP, 2006 15" 2.16 MBP, iPhone 4, iPod Shuffle, AEBS, AppleTV2 with XBMC.
Reply
2011 13" 2.3 MBP, 2006 15" 2.16 MBP, iPhone 4, iPod Shuffle, AEBS, AppleTV2 with XBMC.
Reply
post #104 of 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by donebylee View Post

<snip> The thinking right now is that if Apple is going to continue selling monitors, then we will see them at NAB in April. That will make it over 2 years since the last refresh.

For me, that may be Apple's last chance to get another $2000 out of my pockets. My Formacs are going on 6 years old and I am in need of a new monitor. NEC's recently announced 30-inch professional monitor will be my next purchase if there is no joy from Apple.

I really was hoping Apple would've come out with new ACDs by now, but as I have a new Mac Pro ordered, I'm going to need an LCD, so unless something is announced this coming Tuesday, I'll most likely order a 24" Eizo.
post #105 of 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by THT View Post

I think I'm in love with the idea of a super panoramic display! The Alienware and NEC demos from CES sparked my interest:

I was intrigued as well. Then, I saw the NEC unit at Macworld. Wow, does it look like crap when up close and personal. There are three standard panels that make up the "panorama" and it is not seamless between them. Furthermore, the units used must not have been high-end, the color and sharpness was not good.

The Alienware might be more impressive, but the NEC did not look good.
post #106 of 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicham View Post

I was intrigued as well. Then, I saw the NEC unit at Macworld. Wow, does it look like crap when up close and personal. There are three standard panels that make up the "panorama" and it is not seamless between them. Furthermore, the units used must not have been high-end, the color and sharpness was not good.

The Alienware might be more impressive, but the NEC did not look good.

I think we are talking about two different monitors. I am talking about the 30-inch professional grade LCD monitor, not the wrap around gaming monitor, which I think you are talking about.

I have no interest in gaming. So that monitor wouldn't be on my list.
"Too much of a good thing is great." Mae West
Reply
"Too much of a good thing is great." Mae West
Reply
post #107 of 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by donebylee View Post

I think we are talking about two different monitors. I am talking about the 30-inch professional grade LCD monitor, not the wrap around gaming monitor, which I think you are talking about.

I have no interest in gaming. So that monitor wouldn't be on my list.

I'm interested too, and Apple doesn't seem to care for a long overdue update.
What would be the best (graphic use) alternative for the 30" ADC ?
post #108 of 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by theGAR View Post

I'm interested too, and Apple doesn't seem to care for a long overdue update.
What would be the best (graphic use) alternative for the 30" ADC ?

I think that all depends on:
  1. your usage needs and application(s)
  2. your budget
I need color accuracy so I'm only interested in what are often referred to as "professional" monitors. These typically use ISP panels, have high bit LUTs (currently I think 12-bit is the standard for high-end monitors) and usually list the percentage of NTSC and Adobe RGB color gamut coverage. Right now the best I have seen is the NEC I was talking about above. But Eizo monitors are also professional grade.

As are/were Apple's ACDs. They are still better than most current standard grade monitors in terms of color accuracy, but their response rates, contrast ratios and color gamut coverages have fallen far behind the professional competition.

My budget for my next monitor is around $2000 USD. I am looking to get a professional grade 30-inch monitor. That is what will fit my needs for my work with Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign.
"Too much of a good thing is great." Mae West
Reply
"Too much of a good thing is great." Mae West
Reply
post #109 of 194
We all know that Apple will announce something new, cool, slick … monitors just after some of us buy something from someone else, because we can't wait any longer

So who's going to be the lucky one to save us all from buying something wo don't want (by purchasing something else now

Skip
post #110 of 194
yeh. Knowing them. The LCDs are years old. Time to make with the update, Apple.

Maybe they're waiting for massive backlit monitor sizes. Maybe not.

Expect them by WWDC, I guess...along with re-skinned Mac Pros?

Lemon Bon Bon.

You know, for a company that specializes in the video-graphics market, you'd think that they would offer top-of-the-line GPUs...

 

WITH THE NEW MAC PRO THEY FINALLY DID!  (But you bend over for it.)

Reply

You know, for a company that specializes in the video-graphics market, you'd think that they would offer top-of-the-line GPUs...

 

WITH THE NEW MAC PRO THEY FINALLY DID!  (But you bend over for it.)

Reply
post #111 of 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon Bon Bon. View Post

Expect them by WWDC, I guess...along with re-skinned Mac Pros?

Lemon Bon Bon.

Yeah right. Apple is going to piss off the customers who spend the most per system by obsoleting the Mac Pro within six months of its release.

"Too much of a good thing is great." Mae West
Reply
"Too much of a good thing is great." Mae West
Reply
post #112 of 194
If they want to make a splash, the NAB Conference [warning: obnoxious, overlong Flash intro] would be the place to do it. Apple can talk up things like color gamut there and the audience will actually know what they're talking about.

Maybe someone will ask them why they so consistently allow the line to fall behind the pack for months before the next update comes out.
"...within intervention's distance of the embassy." - CvB

Original music:
The Mayflies - Black earth Americana. Now on iTMS!
Becca Sutlive - Iowa Fried Rock 'n Roll - now on iTMS!
Reply
"...within intervention's distance of the embassy." - CvB

Original music:
The Mayflies - Black earth Americana. Now on iTMS!
Becca Sutlive - Iowa Fried Rock 'n Roll - now on iTMS!
Reply
post #113 of 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amorph View Post

If they want to make a splash, the NAB Conference [warning: obnoxious, overlong Flash intro] would be the place to do it. Apple can talk up things like color gamut there and the audience will actually know what they're talking about.

Maybe someone will ask them why they so consistently allow the line to fall behind the pack for months before the next update comes out.

I agree that NAB is a more apropos venue. And I for vote for new ACDs at NAB if not before.

Hello, Apple? Is this thing on?
"Too much of a good thing is great." Mae West
Reply
"Too much of a good thing is great." Mae West
Reply
post #114 of 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by donebylee View Post

I agree that NAB is a more apropos venue. And I for vote for new ACDs at NAB if not before.

Is it just me or does NAB seem "still" too far away for the release of updated ACDs for those who are buying their new Mac Pros?
post #115 of 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by da2357 View Post

Is it just me or does NAB seem "still" too far away for the release of updated ACDs for those who are buying their new Mac Pros?

As someone who ordered a new Mac Pro when they were announced (I'm still waiting for it to ship because I ordered it with the 8800 GT), I would love for Apple to come out with a new ACD today, tomorrow, or fire-up the Way- Back Machine Mr. Peabody and release it yesterday.

It would have been great if it could have been announced at the same time as the new Mac Pros, but for whatever reason it wasn't. All we can do is hope that they come out soon. As I have stated in this and other threads, I have two 5 year-old (going on 6) formac monitors that are beginning to show their age.

I just hope they last me until there are new ACDs. If Apple still hasn't released new ACDs when my current monitors go, then I will look at my options with NEC, or a refurbed ACD.
"Too much of a good thing is great." Mae West
Reply
"Too much of a good thing is great." Mae West
Reply
post #116 of 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by donebylee View Post

As I have stated in this and other threads, I have two 5 year-old (going on 6) formac monitors that are beginning to show their age.

Based on comments you made earlier, I took a look at the formac LCDs. Unfortunately, it looks like 20" is the largest they make and I was hoping for a 23-24" w/1920x1200. The formac 20" does 1600x1200 (4:3), yet I had my sites on a widescreen LCD and my 17" PowerBook has 1680x1050, so a 20" formac isn't going to give me truly more space.

Quote:
Originally Posted by donebylee View Post

As someone who ordered a new Mac Pro when they were announced (I'm still waiting for it to ship because I ordered it with the 8800 GT)

I've been holding off on ordering that same configuration, hoping that Apple would come out with a new 23-24" ACD before I ordered. As I'll be moving from the PowerBook to the Mac Pro, I'm stuck in that I need to buy an LCD. Guess, I'll have to be patient.
post #117 of 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by da2357 View Post

Based on comments you made earlier, I took a look at the formac LCDs. Unfortunately, it looks like 20" is the largest they make and I was hoping for a 23-24" w/1920x1200. The formac 20" does 1600x1200 (4:3), yet I had my sites on a widescreen LCD and my 17" PowerBook has 1680x1050, so a 20" formac isn't going to give me truly more space.

You lost me here...were you wanting to buy my old monitors?

Or did you think I was recommending them as a replacement for an ACD?

Neither is what I intended, although if you want to buy my monitors when I replace them I will gladly sell them to you at a reasonable price.

To the best of my knowledge, Formac is out of business in the US (where I am). And I am not sure that they are still in business in Europe either. Their monitor tech that I have seen online is several years old (hence my question as to whether they are even in business anymore).

The only monitors that I am considering purchasing at this time are new ACDs (if they ever come), NEC's professional series of monitors or refurbished ACDs if the price is right (I would view that purchase as a stop-gap not a solution).

Formac monitors were fine 5 years ago when I bought them, but today they are way behind modern capabilities.
"Too much of a good thing is great." Mae West
Reply
"Too much of a good thing is great." Mae West
Reply
post #118 of 194
So the answer is really easy, i recently posted it in another thread
http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?t=83441

so basically the reason is because there is very little to upgrade
They use Dual Link DVI that maxes out at 2560 x 1600
The latest connectors (HDMI/DisplayPort) also max out there (10 Gbit/s)

But HDMI 1.3b Type B and DisplayPort 2.0 (20 Gbit/s) are coming out soon probably in spring or summer so
So then NAB or WWDC is about right
Beyond that there are also some other small things (color gamut is increased slightly) but this isnt groundbreaking unlike a 3000+ x 2000+ display that is affordable

The reason that they will do this is because for all DisplayPort connectors one can use a little connector to switch to any other kind
post #119 of 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by donebylee View Post

You lost me here...were you wanting to buy my old monitors? <snip> Or did you think I was recommending them as a replacement for an ACD?

I obviously misunderstood. I thought you were recommending them... and no, I wasn't interested in buying your old monitors.
post #120 of 194
i would be happy to take the 24" H-IPS panel in the iMac, in the same casing, any day. Well, maybe a little lower in price than the current 23", given how the market trend is going.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › New Apple Cinema Display?