or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › How about this, Mr. Jobs?

How about this, Mr. Jobs?

post #1 of 6
Someone in another thread is all excited over a DP3 preview of OS X he scrounged up somewhere on the Internet.

The discussion over it got me thinking about a core argument with the OS X interface: The moving position of the File/Edit/View menu with the title of the application that's running in the application menu.

So my solution: Kill the application menu. It's akwardly placed in OS X, so why not move it's core functions to the icon in the dock instead. Hell you can quit in app down there, so what's wrong with having preferences and the few other items down there too, and move the Services to the Apple Menu.

And while they're at it, could they find a way of reducing the font size of the Dock's pop-up menus...I think there slightly too big? Anyone?
You think Im an arrogant [expletive] who thinks hes above the law, and I think youre a slime bucket who gets most of his facts wrong. Steve Jobs
You think Im an arrogant [expletive] who thinks hes above the law, and I think youre a slime bucket who gets most of his facts wrong. Steve Jobs
post #2 of 6
Having ran OS X in high resolution I find the sizes are good. Thing is not everybody is running at a high res.
The crucial memorandum will be snared in the out-basket by
the paper clip of the overlying memo and go to file.
The crucial memorandum will be snared in the out-basket by
the paper clip of the overlying memo and go to file.
post #3 of 6
I would definitely move Services into the Apple menu. They are a system wide services after all and that's the point of the Apple menu nowadays.

I don't know if the other things in the application menu should go into the dock or into the other menus (obviously those functions need to go somewhere) but the application menu just feels wrong.
post #4 of 6
Yep, the first menu item should be File/edit/save without a doubt, with some apps with long names, it is just Plain Stupid when File menu appears half way along the screen. At least if not in the dock, it should be the last menu item, How often do you need to go to it anyway. Its not like you change the preferneces everytime you run an app is it Mr.Jobs?
post #5 of 6
Personally, I like the menus where they are.

I also like the font size in the dock. It looks good at 1024x768.
"Because the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world, are the ones who do." - Think Different
"Because the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world, are the ones who do." - Think Different
post #6 of 6
I agree. Having the menus move around when you switch apps or apps have long names is Just Plain Dumb. What about muscle memory? What if apps have names I don't want to look at? Aren't application windows supposed to say what they are at the top anyway? It's not like I'm going to forget I'm in iTunes or Explorer. I sincerely hope they remedy this.

I don't know if I personally like having basically another menu that is doing things that the file/edit menu was doing before. It makes more sense to say Edit-->Preferences, because you're editing the preferences, and all apps should have preferences. But I guess Explorer-->Preferences makes some sense too. Some apps still have Preferences in the File and Edit menus, even though they're carbonized! And Services, do they work for any of you? Like the ONLY app I can get them to work in is TextEdit. Apparently developers have to screw with the code for them to work (well that's no surprise, but not many developers are doing it--services are always all greyed out). Plus if they're system-wide they SHOULD be in the Apple menu, either that or completely in contextual menus (which makes the most sense--highlight something and use a Services on it like spellchecking or Google Search or make a stickie out of it).
art may imitate life, but life imitates tv.
art may imitate life, but life imitates tv.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › How about this, Mr. Jobs?