or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › What's your favorite super-caffeinated energy drink?

What's your favorite super-caffeinated energy drink?

post #1 of 49
Red bull is good but it's unnecessarily expensive.

Rockstar is probably my favorite because I like the taste and the library sells the double-strength 16 oz size for only $1.35.

Full throttle tastes more like Sprite than a real energy drink, which is a plus I think when you want a little variety and something that tastes less like an energy drink.

Your preferences?
post #2 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnJ View Post

Red bull is good but it's unnecessarily expensive.

Rockstar is probably my favorite because I like the taste and the library sells the double-strength 16 oz size for only $1.35.

Full throttle tastes more like Sprite than a real energy drink, which is a plus I think when you want a little variety and something that tastes less like an energy drink.

Your preferences?

i drink rock star. but i'm going to stop because it doesn't do anything for me and then it makes my system crash and i get tired. this is not a good thing when i have to lift and place boxes for 5 to 6 hours a day

p.s. it's fucking expensive. it's almost 4 bucks a can.
MacBook Pro
2.2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
2GB 667 DDR2 SDRAM - 2x1GB
120GB Serial ATA Drive@5400rpm
SuperDrive 8x
15" Glossy Widescreen Display

with a wireless Apple keyboard

and

iPod Touch
8GB
MacBook Pro
2.2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
2GB 667 DDR2 SDRAM - 2x1GB
120GB Serial ATA Drive@5400rpm
SuperDrive 8x
15" Glossy Widescreen Display

with a wireless Apple keyboard

and

iPod Touch
8GB
post #3 of 49
As much as I enjoy caffeine, I don't really do energy drinks much. I'd like to try 5 Hour Energy though. I really don't care for Red Bull. Perhaps some Full Throttle...

Actually, I really switched over to diet drinks, so I'd look forward to Diet Pepsi Max. I haven't seen it, but I know it exists.

Oh, and the best energy drink? Percocet!
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
post #4 of 49
Try Full Throttle Unleaded.

It's diet.
post #5 of 49
I cheat and take adderall.

No need to mess around with silly sugar drinks.
"If I had played my career hitting singles like Pete (Rose), I'd wear a dress." - Mickey Mantle
"If I had played my career hitting singles like Pete (Rose), I'd wear a dress." - Mickey Mantle
post #6 of 49
Quote:

Try Full Throttle Unleaded.

It's diet.

Oohh...excellent! Care to send me some since I'm recovering from surgery? It woul be like a care package!
post #7 of 49
Classic Redbull. Rockstar is good but it makes my pee neon yellow, bordering on green.
post #8 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outsider View Post

Classic Redbull. Rockstar is good but it makes my pee neon yellow, bordering on green.

I've noticed that!

I wonder if it glows in the dark?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

Oohh...excellent! Care to send me some since I'm recovering from surgery? It woul be like a care package!

Quid pro quo, buddy.

I kid!!!!!
post #9 of 49
OMFG. I am getting flashbacks of 6am partying, fueled by evil amounts of RedBull + Vodka. Bad stuff. Whoaaa.
post #10 of 49
My favorite mixed drink.
post #11 of 49
I've been drinking STROBE (White) off and on for nearly ten years.

post #12 of 49
Iced tea. Lipton.
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
post #13 of 49
Monster.... the blue one. I've been hooked on these for a few years now. I drink 2-3 cans a day.

Sobe Adrenaline (not diet) is really really good too. I think it's the D-Ribose that does it.
post #14 of 49
Actually, there is one that I drink very regularly called "Miracle Body V". It's Japanese, made by Sangaria.

http://www.sangaria.co.jp/pd_supplem...racle_body.php

I love these. I drink the 500ml aluminum bottle, as in the picture.
post #15 of 49
Are "energy drinks" just high-caffeine? If so, I vote for coffee!
post #16 of 49
A nice double espresso made from freshly ground beans for me.
Oh, and i try to get enough sleep these days as sleep deficits are apparently very unhealthy and tend to make me feel depressed.
post #17 of 49
I'm old. I've not tried any "energy" drinks.

When you are younger you are supposed to have unlimited energy. Why are all these early-20 folks in need of such pick me ups?

Nick

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

post #18 of 49
You are joking right?
post #19 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

I'm old. I've not tried any "energy" drinks.

When you are younger you are supposed to have unlimited energy. Why are all these early-20 folks in need of such pick me ups?

Nick

I'm with you, man.
post #20 of 49
Mocha or affogato, beans roasted by Metropolis in Chicago.
post #21 of 49
chai - tea made the Indian way
not super-caffeinated, but works for me...

afterthought: hell, even water works for me!!
95% of your DNA is junk.... or is it?
95% of your DNA is junk.... or is it?
post #22 of 49
post #23 of 49
^^^ That's all that needs saying!
post #24 of 49
Caffeine.. yikes. I have to really carefully read labels (soda, medications etc) for caffeine lurking within. I have a severe and scary reaction to even the smallest amounts.
"We've never made the case, or argued the case that somehow Osama bin Laden was directly involved in 9/11. That evidence has never been forthcoming". VP Cheney, 3/29/2006. Interview by Tony Snow
"We've never made the case, or argued the case that somehow Osama bin Laden was directly involved in 9/11. That evidence has never been forthcoming". VP Cheney, 3/29/2006. Interview by Tony Snow
post #25 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammi jo View Post

Caffeine.. yikes. I have to really carefully read labels (soda, medications etc) for caffeine lurking within. I have a severe and scary reaction to even the smallest amounts.

Delirium? Check out the Bill Murray clip when you get the chance...
post #26 of 49
Quote:

You are joking right?

Nope. I don't even recognize half the names mentioned on here in terms of beverages.

I'm like the guy in the skit that needs "jeans" you know, like it is a generic term with one type of fit.

Nick

post #27 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outsider View Post

That's your liver trying to tell you that it's permanently damaged.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #28 of 49
I have had many of the energy drinks. I seem to have a 30 hr circadian cycle, so about one a week I just say "fuck it" and stay up instead of sleeping. I'll usually drink one 16oz or two 8oz energy drinks on those days, or the equivalent in coffee and B vitamins.

Red Bull is the classic. It tastes the best, is the original, and certainly the most novel. Plus, it mixes the best with liquor, if you're into that. Caffeine-wise, one can of Red Bull seems about equivalent to one european-sized espresso (not American jumbo-sized).

Rockstar is similar to Red Bull in taste, but is milder. It's the number two, and is worth about three espressos. I actually buy more Rockstar than RedBull, because (a) it's cheaper, (b) it has more vitamins, (c) it's not produced by a shady Austrian company (now Swiss).

Rockstar Juiced are by far the best juice-flavored energy drinks. I like the Pomegranate one the best.

I've had most of the Monster line and the Sobe line, which I'd say are OK. The Monster sugarless is the best sugarless energy drink, but that's not saying much. Tab energy tastes kind of like watermelon jolly ranchers. Lemon Coolah tastes very similar to Solo or Lift, which means that it's pretty tasty.

I dislike most of the Full Throttle line. The Blue Demon is plain awful, but you'd expect that because it's made of agave.

I've had many lesser-known energy drinks, too. Most I'd say are unremarkable.
Cat: the other white meat
post #29 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splinemodel View Post

Rockstar Juiced are by far the best juice-flavored energy drinks. I like the Pomegranate one the best.

Yeah we also have that for $1.35.

It took some getting used to because it's so juicy.

Quote:

I dislike most of the Full Throttle line. The Blue Demon is plain awful, but you'd expect that because it's made of agave.

Full Throttle Mother has a terrible taste too.
post #30 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

The best energy drink for you would be to mix in some hemlock (natural herb) into your morning drink. It's practically a miracle cure for your ailments

It is so good, its reputed the greek philosopher Socrates discovered it on his death bed and it gave him the vigour of an 18 year old, and he went on to live another 26 years.

Let me know how it goes!
post #31 of 49
While at the state fair of Texas a few weeks ago The Coca Cola company was giving away massive numbers of their Full Throttle products so I tried one. Not bad but why the heck do I want to down that much sugar from one can??? And even if I did want that much sugar why would I want to pay the high margin prices they charge for said products???

I would be willing to speculate that the reason why so many young and old alike spend such sums of time and money in the action of consuming these sugar drinks is because during some point in time during the day their blood sugar drops off and they have less energy and mental clarity. I would further speculate that for the most part the reason for this "up and down" blood sugar phenomenon is diet related. All too often people today eat processed foods which are "sugar/starch" rich and fiber poor. When people consume these high glycemic foods their blood sugar will suffer some amount of time later. This is not a good thing for your mood either as the brain "dumps" important amino acids as to try to raise blood sugar when a hypo-glycemic situation arises. Continued patterns of this hypo-glycemia lifestyle lead to depression as the brain has dumped aminos which it needs to actually keep on the brain side of the blood / brain barrier in order to provide for proper serotonin balance.

The answer in my opinion is to eat a balanced diet which contains very little processed foods instead consume mostly whole foods which are usually low glycemic foods. This will moderate the volatility of swings in blood sugar and give your pancreas a much needed break.

If you need a pick me up brew up some green tea and if desired add a little honey.

Get good sleep and get your vitamins and minerals your body needs.

Fellows
May the peace of the Lord be with you always

Share your smile, Have respect for others, and be loving to all peoples

Paul in Athens: Acts 17 : 16-34
May the peace of the Lord be with you always

Share your smile, Have respect for others, and be loving to all peoples

Paul in Athens: Acts 17 : 16-34
post #32 of 49
I drink water, fruit juice, and the occassional iced tea. If I'm tired them I just act lazy until I can go to sleep.
proud resident of a failed state
proud resident of a failed state
post #33 of 49
OK, who let the health hippies in here?
post #34 of 49
I prefer this:

Less caffeine, and I'm up and going without the energy "crash" I've experienced with other energy drinks like Red Bull.
post #35 of 49
Caf-pow.
post #36 of 49
Uh...coffee?

I don't drink stuff like that. My body can't handle it. I basically almost had a seizure last time I tried one.
post #37 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissKitty View Post

Uh...coffee?

I don't drink stuff like that. My body can't handle it. I basically almost had a seizure last time I tried one.

This is odd, since a normal cup of coffee has more caffeine than a Red Bull. Otherwise, it's just B-vtiamins and similar aminos, which are hardly seizure-worthy. There's possibly a placebo effect, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRussell View Post

OK, who let the health hippies in here?

The odd thing about health hippies is that most of them don't seem to be in great health or fitness.
post #38 of 49
I'm mostly interested in the generational differences here. Does anyone here over 30 drink this stuff?
post #39 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwinter View Post

I'm mostly interested in the generational differences here. Does anyone here over 30 drink this stuff?

Red Bull, yes. I'm don't think any of the others have achieved anywhere close to the same widespread popularity, though.
post #40 of 49
Quote:

This is odd, since a normal cup of coffee has more caffeine than a Red Bull. Otherwise, it's just B-vtiamins and similar aminos, which are hardly seizure-worthy. There's possibly a placebo effect, though.

What about De-caf?

I don't think it's the caffeine, it's mostly all the other crap they put in there... sugar's and such.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AppleOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › What's your favorite super-caffeinated energy drink?