or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Leopard Upgrade Experience

Leopard Upgrade Experience - Page 2

post #41 of 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1337_5L4Xx0R View Post

Geez, garyb, that sucks Leopard's been a pain for you. What mac do you have? 3 sleep hangs a week? Ouch.

How do To Dos fail to work?

Outlook is certainly more business oriented than Mail.app, for sure.

Noob alert.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Get the lowdown on the coming collapse:  http://www.cbo.gov/publication/45010

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #42 of 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

To the morons stealing Leopard... they should get a bricked Mac.

I agree. Go and buy the OS, it's not expensive at all. Still unsure? Look at Micro$oft's pricing of Vista
post #43 of 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Disasta View Post

CS3 runs great on 10.4, so upgrading shouldn't be a problem. I am waiting to buy the new OS until I hear every things ok. iLife and iWork do not come with the new release, they are a separate purchase. I'm kind of glad they did that because I really don't use them any way, I use the pro apps.

Never said they were included with the release.....

CS3 academic is a pretty good price, now it is just a matter of whether the cost is worth paying for what I would use it for.
post #44 of 172
Ok, so only installed on my 2.4 GHZ iMac Core 2 Duo with 3 GB memory so far.

not an old system, so I did an archive and install.

I also made sure not to install the printer drivers or foreign languages.

Install took just about 20 minutes cause of this. Awesome.

Everything still works perfect.

Leopard seems great.

I do think it's mainly the new "feel," we're paying for on this update. First day with Tiger was more exciting from amazing features I must say.
*Powerbook G4 12" - 1.5 GHZ
*iMac Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHZ (Mid 2007), *Apple 20-inch Cinema Display (Aluminium)
*iPhone 4S, Airport Extreme (2011) *MacBook Air 11-inch (Late 2010)
*Powerbook G4 12" - 1.5 GHZ
*iMac Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHZ (Mid 2007), *Apple 20-inch Cinema Display (Aluminium)
*iPhone 4S, Airport Extreme (2011) *MacBook Air 11-inch (Late 2010)
post #45 of 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by garyeb View Post

-- Blew away my Airport Disk Utility completely
-- Notes is a trivial exercise that is hardly worth using and periodically crashes mail when trying to create folders and failure to sync with iPhone makes it nearly worthless
-- To-dos fail to work as advertised and is another tepid implementation not even up to the level of five-year old MS Outlook
-- If Time Machine is as poorly implemented and unusable as these features then this upgrade is not worth the time. Of course, I can't test it until I buy another disk since it can't back up to my Airport disk...

With the exception of eye candy, I'm hard-pressed to understand the value of this release. Maybe it will fix the 'sleep' hangs I have had three times this week.

I'm a Mac/iPhone newbie after 15 years on Windows. I generally prefer the Mac user experience but the functionality of the tools used by professionals (calendaring, task management, email) is simply early-2000's technology. The PR on Leopard implied some of those limitations might be addressed in this release. Nope. Not bad enough enough to force a retreat to Windows but disappointing after all the hype.

Save your money and time.

If this is what you considered a review I'd say outside of reading/writing email and web surfing you don't do jack with a workstation operating system.

Nothing you wrote can be verified on my end.
post #46 of 172
I just installed Leopard on my iMac - first thing to do now is to post my experience to AI, of course

I did a clean install and suffered no installation problems, no extraordinary long boot time after installation, no nothing... everything's great here. And, indeed, my feeling is that the system got a bit "zippier" (or is that "more zippy"?)

So, 15 minutes into my MacOS X 10.5 experience, I'm still very happy

best,
durandal

P.S.: Some nice localization detail: When installing with my native language (German) as default, Safari's default set of bookmarks includes a set of popular german sites as well.
--
My girlfriend thinks I'm curious - that's what I read in her diary
(Unknown)
--
My girlfriend thinks I'm curious - that's what I read in her diary
(Unknown)
post #47 of 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nak View Post

I agree. Go and buy the OS, it's not expensive at all. Still unsure? Look at Micro$oft's pricing of Vista

Vista Home Premium cost me 80 bucks. Leopard is going to cost me 129.
post #48 of 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nak View Post

that's weird man, Parallels 3.0 (Build 5160) works perfectly on my system after the update (macbook pro 15")

Well I was able to get it working again I had to change the memory settings and then everything started to work again. I did send an email to them and the following is what they sent back to me:

Hello,

This is the official Parallels position on Leopard.
http://parallelsvirtualization.blogs...p-leopard.html

We are going to release a special free update compatible with Mac 10.5.

Please try to re-install Parallels Desktop following these steps:
• Launch the Uninstall Parallels Desktop application (you can find it
on the Parallels Desktop for Mac CD or in the downloaded Parallels
Desktop for Mac DMG package) and follow the on-screen instructions. It
is important to use the Uninstaller of the Parallels Desktop version
currently installed or newer.Please note that Parallels Uninstaller does
not remove virtual machines from your Macintosh hard disk
• Delete these folders, if they are found in your
system:/Library/StartupItems/Parallels/Applications/Parallels
• You may also need to delete the following files (it’s recommended to
restart your Macintosh computer before deleting them):
o /System/Library/Extensions/vmmain.kext
o /System/Library/Extensions/hypervisor.kext
o /System/Library/Extensions/helper.kext
o /System/Library/Extensions/ConnectUSB.kext
o /System/Library/Extensions/Pvsnet.kext
• Browse the Applications folder. Open Utilities and launch Disk Utility.
• Select Macintosh HD on the left tab and click the Repair Disk
Permissions button.
• Restart your computer again and install Parallels Desktop for Mac.

It will be very helpful if you follow
Finder->Library->Parallels->Bugreports and send me all the files from
this directory.

---
Best regards,
Anastasia
Parallels Customer Service
http://www.parallels.com
post #49 of 172
Installed without a hitch on a white 24" iMac.

A friend upgraded but then couldn't get his MBP to boot past the blue screen. Googling the problem eventually revealed that it was unsanity's application enhancer.

We booted into single user mode and removed application enhancer stuff from /Library and /System. It then booted into leopard just fine.
post #50 of 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibook911 View Post

I do think it's mainly the new "feel," we're paying for on this update. First day with Tiger was more exciting from amazing features I must say.

I think we are paying for the refined and advanced frameworks. Now it's up to developers to take advantage; Delicious Library 2 looks to do this.
post #51 of 172
I Installed Leopard last nigh and everything is going well - Except, every time I quit Photoshop, I get the "The application unexpectedly quit" message, with the options to ignore, report and view.

It is not affecting me much in the short term since it happens when I WANT to quit anyway, but it is annoying!!

I did erase all preference files (as far as I am aware) and the problem still happens.

PS: Lightroom and Bridge do not show this problem.

Other than that, everything is peachy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuku View Post

CS3 programs all work, but need a good preference cleaning overhaul.

Basically delete all those adobe stuff in the preferences.

There have been a wide range of weird stuff with CS3, most usually crash on startup/quit, due to perfs. (Me included)

Aple Pro stuff do not work per upgrade I believe, either needs a reinstall, or plugin fixing. Which means just some hassle if you're unlucky.

It's pretty safe so far, no major blow ups with most things.
post #52 of 172
I noticed that the Apple Leopard Tour shows the desktop clean with NO HD on the desktop.

After Installing Leopard, My 3 HD are still showing on the desktop. Does anyone know how to make it go away?

THX
post #53 of 172
I did the standard upgrade and got the "blue screen of sadness". An "archive and install" fixed it.
post #54 of 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuBeck View Post

Vista Home Premium doesn't compare to Leopard because Leopard is Ultimate whereas if you compare it to Vista Ultimate it's half the price with a better user interface and more secure.
post #55 of 172
Quote:

You bought a Mac, yet you can't afford $120? Come on!

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #56 of 172
My experience:
everything runs fine, plus or minus
the problem is that, as for every major upgrade, there's something not working in every application:
TOAST 8 doesnt burn correctly audio CD's from mp3s

frontrow crashes without apparent reason (!!!!)

the system becomes irresponsive exiting from STOPs...not everytime, right...

Various issues
i'm seriously thinkin' on formatting and reinstalling from scratches...or...waiting for the first update

happy leopard to everyone!
post #57 of 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennysb View Post

I noticed that the Apple Leopard Tour shows the desktop clean with NO HD on the desktop.

After Installing Leopard, My 3 HD are still showing on the desktop. Does anyone know how to make it go away?

THX

If you go to the Finder's Preferences (under the "General" section), you can uncheck the option to show the HDD on the desktop (as well as other things).
post #58 of 172
Quote:

THX

Those options are on the finder preferences.

I also like having a clean desktop
"Heavy is the head that wears the crown"
"Heavy is the head that wears the crown"
post #59 of 172
I installed Leopard Friday night... did the 'standard update' first, but that lead me to the horrible blue screen. I thought I bricked my MBP... Today I did an archive and install and that worked... But then my account wasn't recognized as an admin account... So I had to work around that too... All in all, it took about 10 hours to upgrade to Leopard which was a little disappointing. I didn't expect all these problems.
Now that it's up and running, I've had no problems, it's fast and I have found that the Airport signal is much stronger than in Tiger.

GB
post #60 of 172
My wife's MacBook was very easy, but ran into pain on the original G5 iMac. Took a while looking at the blue screen (overnight and multiple installs) before I realized that Clear Dock & Applications Enhancements was the problem. I went to an Archive & Install and it went smooth - no problems at all. I've also stripped out the Clear Dock & AE from a G4 PB before even thinking about upgrading that one.

Overall a joy and I appreciate the comments re Clear Dock & AE from various sources - it saved me a lot of misery.
Ken
Ken
post #61 of 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubelum View Post

This thing breaks unsanity haxies (per their website) and completely shot, cleaned, made sausage, digested, and excreted my keychain(s). Always have a backup and hard copy of these things.

Little snitch is working fine... along with typeit4me, microsoft mouse, and menumeters. Adobe apps are not affected in any way I can tell, and I used Photoshop and DW for 4 hours tonight...

I miss WindowShadeX. That is a great little app.

Yeah, you're definitely going to want to uninstall the Unsanity Application Enhancer completely BEFORE installing Leopard. I failed to do this and got the "blank blue screen" hang on login after the install. Real PITA to fix after the fact.
post #62 of 172
Thanks guys I found the finder preference and my desktop is clean now

HOWEVER, no so lucky with the issue of crashing ("unexpectedly quit" message) Photoshop CS3 after I quit the application.

I properly deleted PS CS3 and installed from scratch. However the problem remains. Today I installed Leopard on my Macbook and photoshop does not crash at quit time on that machine. Humm.

Anyway I am an anal retentive kind of guy so the even though "unexpectedly quit" message does not affect my work flow - IT DRIVES ME CRAZY!!
post #63 of 172
Still waiting on my HD backup -- damn laptop drives are slow.

Going to try basic upgrade install as I am lazy. Can always do an Archive & Install if I run in to issues.
Download BARTsmart BART Widget, the best BART schedule widget for Mac OS X's Dashboard.
Download BARTsmart BART Widget, the best BART schedule widget for Mac OS X's Dashboard.
post #64 of 172
Quote:

I Installed Leopard last nigh and everything is going well - Except, every time I quit Photoshop, I get the "The application unexpectedly quit" message, with the options to ignore, report and view.

It is not affecting me much in the short term since it happens when I WANT to quit anyway, but it is annoying!!

I did erase all preference files (as far as I am aware) and the problem still happens.

PS: Lightroom and Bridge do not show this problem.

Other than that, everything is peachy

Did you search it via spot light or just delete photoshop files in pref folder?

There are some like plugin cache, and stuff.

All else fails, use the uninstall and reinstall CS3 photoshop (some people did that).

you got the crash on quit, so it's no big deal (since nothing is lost), but it's not universal to everyone.
post #65 of 172
Quote:

Vista Home Premium cost me 80 bucks.

80 bucks plus ten years off of your life, you mean!

I'm not hearing any of the stress filled cries for help that Vista (ha!) elicited.

V/R,
Aries 1B
"I pictured myself sitting in the shade of a leafy tree in a public park, a stylus in hand, a shiny Apple Tablet computer in my lap, and a pouty Jennifer Connelly stirring a pitcher of gimlets a...
"I pictured myself sitting in the shade of a leafy tree in a public park, a stylus in hand, a shiny Apple Tablet computer in my lap, and a pouty Jennifer Connelly stirring a pitcher of gimlets a...
post #66 of 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitespecter View Post

I put the DVD in, hit install, came back a half hour later, and it was installed on my MacBook Pro. No problems other than the fact that I forgot to uninstall Uno before I installed tthis, so some of the dialog boxes look odd.

I also forgot to uninstall Uno and so have a few things that look odd - particularly Firefox. Tried downloading Uno to run the uninstall, but says it doesn't work on Leopard. Any suggestions on how to fix??
post #67 of 172
I think I have the worst upgrade story.

- Took a while to get the installer running.
- Didn't want to install, permissions problem.
- Filesystem of my current install fucked, couldn't access to backup files.
- Had to make a DMG of my current install (150GB) and save to an external - 3hours.
- Dodgy installing, but now no wireless. Totally fucked.

Please?!
post #68 of 172
anyone experience the random crashing/forced hard restart as complained about in 10.4.11?

i really want to know if this problem has gone away with 10.5.

thanks.
post #69 of 172
Yes, I already try the uninstall and reinstall CS3 photoshop. I might try again and make sure all photoshop files are deleted.

we'll see - funny thing is I would feel better if other people had reported this problem also. Is that make me a bad person

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuku View Post

Did you search it via spot light or just delete photoshop files in pref folder?

There are some like plugin cache, and stuff.

All else fails, use the uninstall and reinstall CS3 photoshop (some people did that).

you got the crash on quit, so it's no big deal (since nothing is lost), but it's not universal to everyone.
post #70 of 172
I do not like how when you click show all in spotlight it goes to a finder window rather then that nice layout they had before. It is much faster then it was before.

Frontrow is quite a bit snappier but they took away the cool effect when the desktop disappears.
post #71 of 172
My upgrade experience?

After a week of anticipation I was psyched that it was finally Leopard Day. At 10:40 on Friday I left my apartment to drive to class at 11:00. On the road I passed the Fed-Ex truck on its way to deliver my very own copy of Leopard 7 hours before its official release time. Oh my did class go slowly. Not that felony murder and freedom of expression are dull topics; I just wanted to get home as fast as I could. I raced home 4 hours later to install it without a hitch. The installation took about an hour on my MacBook Pro.
post #72 of 172
Quote:

Then I suggest you enjoy your PC life.
"Run faster. History is a constant race between invention and catastrophe. Education helps but it is never enough. You must also run." Leto Atreides II
"Run faster. History is a constant race between invention and catastrophe. Education helps but it is never enough. You must also run." Leto Atreides II
post #73 of 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubit View Post

Then I suggest you enjoy your PC life.

Sweet.

Blue Screen of Death
Viruses
Spyware
Trojans (the not fun kinds)
Snake-Oil Gates
Sweaty McBallmer
Nothing that "just works"
Sync problems from hell
OS problems that take down entire drives, files and all
Ancient, contradicting, and obsolete code patches on top of old patches on top of stolen software.

Wow. It's a real toss up.
"Stand Up for Chuck"
"Stand Up for Chuck"
post #74 of 172
Anyone here having wireless connection problems with WPA?
"Stand Up for Chuck"
"Stand Up for Chuck"
post #75 of 172
My upgrade results:

Right before I installed it, I got an earful from my wife for buying it. As such, I hastily ran the installer and was expecting to see an option for an archive and install. I didn't. Instead, it went right into the install mode which took under 45 minutes. I was worried that I lost everything but when it came up, I had my files and everything.

I did have a little trouble connecting to the net but it only took about ten minutes to resolve the issue.

What is happening now is that lil snitch (I've got v 1.2.4) now gives me warnings about things wanting to connect to the net. And it isn't telling me what they are but calls them "kernal tasks."
post #76 of 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubelum View Post

Anyone here having wireless connection problems with WPA?

I did. Took about ten minutes to get it working. But I don't now how I fixed it. I played around with the settings a bit because if I connected to my neighbors wireless, I could get on the net so I know airport was ok.
post #77 of 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmo-xl View Post

Well after the upgrade PARALLELS 3.0 is no longer working on my 24" iMac it crashes the iMac when you try and start it up.

The same happened to me after doing an archive & install on my MacBook Core Duo. I re-ran the installer (Parallels 3.0 build 5160) and everything seemed to run OK; I could launch a VM and log in. I didn't do much testing beyond that.
post #78 of 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by sc_markt View Post

What is happening now is that lil snitch (I've got v 1.2.4) now gives me warnings about things wanting to connect to the net. And it isn't telling me what they are but calls them "kernal tasks."

yea, I get that a lot too....
"Stand Up for Chuck"
"Stand Up for Chuck"
post #79 of 172
leopard disk utility appears to not repair permissions \ it just waits forever on the initial "barbershop candy cane" status. i had to boot into my tiger install disc to repair permissions
post #80 of 172
Opps,

I just try to add my printers.

My USB Hiti 730PS came up without my help

BUT My Canon i9900 inkjet which I had connected via firewire, well it just does not show. Th eprinter set-up is a little diff in Leopard
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Leopard Upgrade Experience