or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Apple yanks wireless backup from Leopard last minute

Apple yanks wireless backup from Leopard last minute - Page 3

post #81 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddinsb View Post

[Note: I don't work for LaCie I'm an independent contractor who does primarily Mac support with a bit of Linux and Windows thrown into the mix.]

liar!

Wow, all of this whining makes be glad that I'm still a Windows user (okay, it really doesn't).

Whoever thinks that this issue will not be resolved quickly is not thinking straight. It's just like all of the people who complained that the iPhone is completely locked to third-party developers. Apple is working on the sdk now, and they will add wireless back-up soon. No one wasted any money on AE or external drives, because wireless TM is just being delayed until it's ready.
post #82 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by TECHSTUD View Post

Why didn't Steve ever mention that we would need to buy an external hard drive on order to use this "new" OS? Never once mentioned in any preview until posted 2 weeks ago. Oh, I'm sorry -it must have been so obvious!

I agree the Apple TV is a waste of money but you don't need to buy a drive to use Leopard, you only need one to use Time Machine. If you are concerned about backing up, you should already have one. I have 4 external drives, 3 in use.

By no means is Time machine the most important feature of Leopard, it is merely the marketing angle they chose to exploit as it gives them a style for product designs etc.

On the subject of wireless backups, assuming the wireless connection was decent, the transfer rate isn't all that bad. It would still be on the order of 1/10th the speed of a hard connection but we're still talking about 1-2MBps. If someone does daily incremental backups, then doing wireless backup would probably be very convenient, especially for laptop owners.

An average user wouldn't likely change more than 1GB a day, which would take about 10-20 minutes to backup and it can be done in the background.
post #83 of 155
Does this mean NAS drives wont work either??
post #84 of 155
I suspect that AEBS and AirDisk is the culprit behind the removal of this functionality and not Leopard itself. I returned a recently purchased AEBS to the Apple store because of a bug in the most recent firmware that directly relates to AirDisk usage. Quite a few users have discussed this bug in Apple's own forums. If you have the latest firmware installed and your computer loses connection with the AEBS while an AirDisk is mounted you will get authentication errors when you try to re-mount the drive. A few have had success with downgrading firmware but most of the newer Gigabit ethernet AEBS cannot be downgraded. Once new firmware is released for the AEBS I'm sure we'll see this functionality return in Time Machine. I knew this might be a problem and was wondering if Apple was going to release an AEBS firmware update before Leopard's release. I plan on purchasing an AEBS again once this issue is resolved.
post #85 of 155
[QUOTE=digitalclips;1163410]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TECHSTUD View Post

Go back to your Vista will ya!

Leo is awesome and so will all the updates be, over the coming months.

p.s. My ATV sends 720P and looks great on my 50" 1080i HDTV, perhaps you tested yours on the wrong equipment or supplied the incorrect media to it if you see VHS quality.

Maybe you just have never seen the real HD? You know, the actual 1080p. I would guess for someone who's been watching VHS his/her entire life even iTunes Video would look awesome. But for someone who watches HD-DVD movies in full 1080p resolution every day, 720 just doesn't cut it.
post #86 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denton View Post

Whoever thinks that this issue will not be resolved quickly is not thinking straight.

Really? On what do you base your opinion? Mine is based on my recent experience with Apple: I still can't use my Logitech USB webcam that was disabled due to a bug in 10.4.10. Apple's verified the bug, but no fix since JUNE! So, I have no faith on that one, and yes, I'm thinking straight.
I got nothin'.
I got nothin'.
post #87 of 155
I'm not sure about NAS or AirPort, but so far I'm unable to make Time Machine work with AFP share from another Leopard machine. From Apple.com website:

" Time Machine can also back up to another Mac running Leopard with Personal File Sharing, Leopard Server, or Xsan storage devices."

So I have a Mac Mini here, with File Sharing enabled, and mounted the share on my MacBook Pro. No way to add that to Time Machine backup disk, unless there's some trick involved, of which I don't know.
post #88 of 155
Quote:
Maybe you just have never seen the real HD? You know, the actual 1080p. I would guess for someone who's been watching VHS his/her entire life even iTunes Video would look awesome. But for someone who watches HD-DVD movies in full 1080p resolution every day, 720 just doesn't cut it.

He/She has a 1080i tv. There is no 1080p option even if the ATV did 1080p. Unless you're sitting less than 6 feet away from your tv, it gets very hard to see a difference between 1080p and 720p. There is a large debate about this... so I won't get into it too much... but 720p can look great from the right distance.

Quote:
The reason why they are analysts is because they failed at running businesses.

Quote:

post #89 of 155
You have got to be kidding me! Not only have Airport Extremes been purchased in order to make use of the Time Machine features, but larger backup drives have been purchased (me) for the same reason. This is simply NOT acceptable to do this so late in the game having been assured by Apple that these features would be available in its new OS.

Can I return Leopard?
post #90 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by emig647 View Post

He/She has a 1080i tv. There is no 1080p option even if the ATV did 1080p. Unless you're sitting less than 6 feet away from your tv, it gets very hard to see a difference between 1080p and 720p. There is a large debate about this... so I won't get into it too much... but 720p can look great from the right distance.

It's not about distance, it's about apparent size, a function of the actual screen size and seated distance, and then also on clarity of eye sight. On my projector, I can just about see the lines between the pixels.
post #91 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

In the US, HD is still a joke people have been buying HD hardware for years and we are still years away from having even all digital let alone all HD.

I really don't think that's true anymore. I'm in a #50 market and ALL my local channels are digital, and it's been that way for at least a couple years. All the major networks have at least prime time in HD. Only the affiliates of the minor networks like the CW are SD-only, but they are digital.
post #92 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Absolutely right, give me what they have now and I can wait for a few updates np. At least unlike after n years of trying to create a modern OS (Longhorn) Apple didn't give up and stick a crummy GUI on DOS and call it Vista

Hey guys, notice all the nergative crap comming from posters with like 1 or 2 posts? The Windoze brigade must be sooo jealous to have to intrude on our forums

Hint: ignore trolls

I don't know why I'm responding to a troll like you, but Vista is not running on DOS. That's about as ancient history as complaining about OS 9.
post #93 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by camimac View Post

Pardon my ignorance, but what exactly does the Sarbanes-Oxley Act got to do with this?

S-O requires that certain types of businesses provide information technology infrastructure to support adequate auditing of high-risk financial transactions. That means data backups that are secure and reliable.

Similarly, HIPPA requires that health care providers take adequate measures to ensure the privacy and security of patient medical information.

In both cases, a backup system that is not working properly would fail the test. Further, there has been no mention of whether AirDisk backup via Time Machine would be encrypted or broadcast in the clear. To comply, it would have to be encrypted.

As I understand it, based on communications from Apple, there is a similar problem with certain backup and syncing scenarios in .Mac services, In some case, user information is broadcast over the Internet in the clear, where it can be hijacked by anyone who knows to look for it. Again, neither S-O or HIPPA compliant.

Hopefully Apple is moving to address these security issues. It would be an impressive and strategic marketing move for them to do so. If we have to wait a little bit for them to get it right, so be it. Better that than have company get mired down in lawsuits.
post #94 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by debohun View Post

S-O requires that certain types of businesses provide information technology infrastructure to support adequate auditing of high-risk financial transactions. That means data backups that are secure and reliable.

Similarly, HIPPA requires that health care providers take adequate measures to ensure the privacy and security of patient medical information.

As I understand it, based on communications from Apple, there is a similar problem with certain backup and syncing scenarios in .Mac services, In some case, user information is broadcast over the Internet in the clear, where it can be hijacked by anyone who knows to look for it. Again, neither S-O or HIPPA compliant.

That can't really be the problem, or really, it doesn't make sense. If someone is using consumer software to back up a computer at a major corporate or medical organization, then they have other problems too. I don't remember Time Machine being promoted for any setting other than as a personal computer backup service.

I think the issue raised here with S-O is that supposedly providing new features after the sale causes some concern over S-O compliance in terms of Apple's accounting, not whether the software in question can be used in another company's compliance.
post #95 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

That can't really be the problem, or really, it doesn't make sense. If someone is using consumer software to back up a computer at a major corporate or medical organization, then they have other problems too. I don't remember Time Machine being promoted for any setting other than as a personal computer backup service.

I think the issue raised here with S-O is that supposedly providing new features after the sale causes some concern over S-O compliance in terms of Apple's accounting, not whether the software in question can be used in another company's compliance.

Macs are used in many medical facilities, especially smaller doctor's offices, as well as in small business that may handle financial information even though they are not large corporations. Further, I suspect that Apple is laying the foundation to move more aggressively into the enterprise in the future. However, you are absolutely correct, the accounting issue regarding valuation would come into play for Apple itself. Good observation.
post #96 of 155
Quote:

Its not necessary that someone's using it to backup their servers and such. But a user in a large organization may think "Hey, let me turn this on, so I can have a history like Apple says" and some of the data backed up is financial or personal.
post #97 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimo_ona_Mac View Post

This issue on Apple ynking wireless backup is a no-brainer. Simple response to clear this matter with the MAC universe - It will take a week to backup a 1TB drive via Apple airport extreme (n)using Leopard and Time Machine and if the connection drops you have to start all over again. I truly believe that is why it was dropped. It takes me an hour to move 10gb via Airport extreme connected to a NAS drive. TOO SLOW to use as a networked backup for me and the family. DUH!

Thge AEBS can maintain 4 to 7 mega bytes per second. At 7 this will mean approx 25 GB per hour. So for 1 TB it will take 40 hours. This is a far cry from your 1 week.

Also, if Time Machine backup is interrupted it will try to resume where it was when restarted.
Regards
Regards
post #98 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by godrifle View Post

Really? On what do you base your opinion? Mine is based on my recent experience with Apple: I still can't use my Logitech USB webcam that was disabled due to a bug in 10.4.10. Apple's verified the bug, but no fix since JUNE! So, I have no faith on that one, and yes, I'm thinking straight.

And people like you are stuck between a rock and a hard place. To use .Mac, Apple now says you need to run 10.4.10. But if you want to use your web cam, you need to use 10.4.9. What's a person to do?

And I'll repeat myself. Apple needs to learn how to be up-front on issues. Why waste people's time wondering what's going to not work, when it will (if ever), etc.
post #99 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by godrifle View Post

I disagree with your assessment. Wireless TM is an important feature to Apple (at least their marketing would indicate such). The reasonable thing to conclude is that they were having some serious problems with it. Is it possible that these problems are insurmountable? -- perhaps, I guess. But it's more likely that they ran out of time and had to axe it for now.

The wireless TM feature is a great one, they're not going to let it die unless they have no other choice. The only thing that someone mentioned many posts ago that might hold back this feature showing up is if the high traffic over the AE(n) destroys the router. That I can buy; and you certainly wouldn't want your $200 router crapping out after 6 months (nor would Apple). These sorts of issues take time to build data, perhaps Apple just realised that this was a problem.

I don't think that Apple cares that much about your web-cam. The "home on iPod" would have been a better comparison. Am I being more level now? I still think that it's unreasonable to think that this won't show up soon.
post #100 of 155
Quote:

Small features? Stayed on schedule?.. I have read alot of your posts and i have come to the conclusion that if Steve Jobs took a shit in a brown bag and tagged it the iDump you would find a reason to say it was great.

Haha... that was funny! At last someone who isn't willing to lick Job's shoes.
post #101 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denton View Post

Whoever thinks that this issue will not be resolved quickly is not thinking straight. It's just like all of the people who complained that the iPhone is completely locked to third-party developers. Apple is working on the sdk now, and they will add wireless back-up soon. No one wasted any money on AE or external drives, because wireless TM is just being delayed until it's ready.

We're all just pissed because Apple doesn't say ANYTHING on the subject, they think we're all morons and won't realise the feature ever existed.
post #102 of 155
[QUOTE=extremeskater;1163586]
Quote:

Spoken like a true Apple salesman. Apple can't deliever so you start bashing Vista instead of addressing the reason issue, that Apple can't deliever as usual.

For those of you that think that Apple TV is one of the worst pieces of s*it Apple has come up with since the puck mouse then you should have a look at the new offerings from EMTEC. It's Mac compatible, it can read a number of file formats (DivX included of course), and it can record TV programs directly onto the disk in MPEG 2. It also has a slot for SD cards so you can watch pictures on your big telly. You can buy it with different disk sizes (160GB to 500GB or even without a hard disk), and you can even connect an external disk to it. Oh, and it's far cheaper than Apple TV. The only letdowns is that it doesn't come with Wi-Fi, but you can connect it to a router through Ethernet, and that it doesn't have an HDMI output.
post #103 of 155
Quote:

True if you are using direct tv then all the channels are digital but not HD, I still use cable and a % of my channels are still analog.

Just to be clear, I'm talking over the air using a TV antenna, not through the DirectTV satellite service. I'm getting stuff like NBC at no cost.

DirectTV has always been digital. Cable is another subscription service, they are not covered by the ATSC mandates.

Quote:
What I was trying to say is there were people buying 7k HDTV's 5 years ago and the FCC keeps pushing out the date to go fully digital, now set mid 2009 if that holds.

All indications that I see is that they are going to stick with it this time. Before, the market wasn't ready for it and the converter boxes for existing sets weren't affordable enough either.

The FCC is already very far along in prepping to sell that bandwidth. There is no one in a position of authority that's even talking about another delay.

Quote:
I could be wrong but I believe that will always be the case, i'm fairly certain HDTV broadcasts will never be in 1080p.

I agree, not for several years. The current ATSC standard doesn't allow for it. The best that can be done is to make sure the video stream has proper, consistent 2:3 pull-down so that TV sets can deinterlace it properly into the original frames. Usually film-sourced video has that, but live cameras usually don't.
post #104 of 155
Quote:

I really don't think that's true anymore. I'm in a #50 market and ALL my local channels are digital, and it's been that way for at least a couple years. All the major networks have at least prime time in HD. Only the affiliates of the minor networks like the CW are SD-only, but they are digital.

Just to clear up some preconceived notions, you do know that digital isn't necessarily better than analog, right? It's all about the bandwidth, I receive some digital channels that look a lot worse than my DivX collection, you can see the individual pixels so clearly it seems that you're looking at some good quality video on YouTube. Same thing goes for HD, most people will be spending big bucks on full HD when 99% of the time they will be looking at some crap looking image sent by a channel that didn't want to pay the full HD price.
post #105 of 155
Quote:

For those of you that think that Apple TV is one of the worst pieces of s*it Apple has come up with since the puck mouse then you should have a look at the new offerings from EMTEC. It's Mac compatible, it can read a number of file formats (DivX included of course), and it can record TV programs directly onto the disk in MPEG 2. It also has a slot for SD cards so you can watch pictures on your big telly. You can buy it with different disk sizes (160GB to 500GB or even without a hard disk), and you can even connect an external disk to it. Oh, and it's far cheaper than Apple TV. The only letdowns is that it doesn't come with Wi-Fi, but you can connect it to a router through Ethernet, and that it doesn't have an HDMI output.

I guess you are referring to the EMTEC Movie Cube and Movie Cube -R. The only thing I have to ask is, do they not understand what a cube is?

http://www.emtec-international.com/e...DISQUES%20DURS
post #106 of 155
Quote:

I guess you are referring to the EMTEC Movie Cube and Movie Cube -R. The only thing I have to ask is, do they not understand what a cube is?

http://www.emtec-international.com/e...DISQUES%20DURS

Yeah, that's the one... funny I didn't think about the cube thing before!
post #107 of 155
Quote:

Just to clear up some preconceived notions, you do know that digital isn't necessarily better than analog, right? It's all about the bandwidth, I receive some digital channels that look a lot worse than my DivX collection, you can see the individual pixels so clearly it seems that you're looking at some good quality video on YouTube. Same thing goes for HD, most people will be spending big bucks on full HD when 99% of the time they will be looking at some crap looking image sent by a channel that didn't want to pay the full HD price.

Yes, I do know that analog doesn't always mean worse than digital. But for me, the digital reception is usually pretty good. Just for giggles, I told EyeTV to scan on the analog channels and they just don't hold a candle. They all have severe ghosting, static or other problems. Yuck. Some of the channels literally look like they are going through a video scrambler.
post #108 of 155
Quote:

Doesn't cable have to move to all digital by Apr 2009, I thought everyone had to give up the 700mhz signal by the cut off date. I thought this was mandated by the FCC for everyone.

The mandate is for the airwaves. Cable sends its signals over wires, not through the air.
post #109 of 155
So I have been able to enable Time Machine to backup to a shared volume. The way it works is it creates a sparseimage file on the remote volume and then mounts it locally, creates HFS+ filesystem within it and uses it to back things up.

With this, I'm not sure why do they need the remote server to be Leopard: the image is handled by a local system, the remote system doesn't have much to do with it, as long as it allows to open the image file. Whatever happens within that image - it doesn't care, so it should be possible to do this using any remote server, via any protocol, be it Samba or AFP, or NFS or whatever. So I'm not sure what's the big deal and why Apple requires the server to be Leopard (other than to increase Leopard sales ).
post #110 of 155
Quote:

True if you are using direct tv then all the channels are digital but not HD, I still use cable and a % of my channels are still analog.

What I was trying to say is there were people buying 7k HDTV's 5 years ago and the FCC keeps pushing out the date to go fully digital, now set mid 2009 if that holds.

Now the big talk is always the difference between 720p and 1080p people sending thousands more in some cases for 1080p when they have no clue what it even means.

Its kind of like gamers buying SLI 8800gtx video cards to get 200fps not realizing the human eye can not see past 30fps. Even better the ones that argue that point.

Not to mention the only thing that will handle 1080p is either HD-DVD of Blu-Ray, neither cable nor dish tv will broadcast anything above 1080i/720p.

I could be wrong but I believe that will always be the case, i'm fairly certain HDTV broadcasts will never be in 1080p.

1) The difference is not noticeable only on crappy DVs, that are not truly 1080p (nor 1080i) tvs. Most modern TVs do not support 1920x1080 resolution, and instead only have 1366x768 physical resolution, so yes, of course on these TVs you won't see the difference between 720p and 1080[ip], as they both will look like crap, 720 being upscaled to 768 and 1080 being downscaled to the same. On my Westinghouse 42" full HD monitor, which supports full 1920x1080 resolution, the difference is HUGE.

2) Cablevision offers a couple of channels in full 1080 glory. One of them was called, if I'm not mistaken, "INHD" or something like that. Then there was something like Travel Channel. And Discovery HD, I believe, is also in 1080. And those just off the top of my head, maybe there were others - I've only had it for about 2 months a year ago and then cancelled, as there was nothing worth paying nearly a hundred $$ a month for.
post #111 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by smashingnick View Post

Here is a link to my quick easy workaround to getting airport disk working with time machine.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthre...99#post4389999

There was a reason why they turned it off. How much do you love your data?

Pull the drive from the wireless base, connect it to the computer, it will work and also do the initial backup faster.

In a couple of weeks there will likely be a patch to enable it if they have found the problem.

There is a problem there, otherwise Apple would not have pulled the feature.
post #112 of 155
Quote:

I don't think anyone is accusing them of being careful, but of selling a product and then removing features from it. Come on, not even Microsoft did that with Vista, some features might have been axed, but at least when you bought it you knew what to expect.

So you are saying it was working when the purchased copy arrived home and after you installed it they patched it off????

No way, it was turned off prior to selling it. They removed the feature from the site a few days ago. Your card was probably charged today or yesterday, so it was not sold until they charged the card.
post #113 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Messiah View Post

YOU smell of poo...

...no YOU smell of poo

Grow up. We're trying to have an adult discussion here.

Hard to do that if you are dealing with cry babies. LOL
post #114 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenatek View Post

I am another who purchased the Airport Extreme and had it ready to go in my home in anticipation of Leopard. We all use laptops and it made a lot more sense to do it wirelessly. This is very dissappointing.

Even if it did worked, it would have taken a long time to backup for the first time. Connect the drive to the laptop, let it backup for the first time, then disconnect it and move it to Airport, You will be happier after that.
post #115 of 155
[QUOTE=extremeskater;1163586]
Quote:

Spoken like a true Apple salesman. Apple can't deliever so you start bashing Vista instead of addressing the reason issue, that Apple can't deliever as usual.

Vista does not need anyone to bash it, Bill.
post #116 of 155
Quote:

Doesn't cable have to move to all digital by Apr 2009, I thought everyone had to give up the 700mhz signal by the cut off date. I thought this was mandated by the FCC for everyone.

I believe this was recently changed to 2011.

Quote:

Quote:

post #117 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by EagerDragon View Post

So you are saying it was working when the purchased copy arrived home and after you installed it they patched it off????

No way, it was turned off prior to selling it. They removed the feature from the site a few days ago. Your card was probably charged today or yesterday, so it was not sold until they charged the card.

I didn't say I bought it. What I'm saying is that many people did, and Apple was selling the new OS way before they removed the feature. It doesn't really matter when your card was charged, once you place an order it's as if you've already paid for it, it's not as if you can tell them "hey, actually I changed my mind, I don't want it anymore". Furthermore, most of the people won't even know about it until they receive the product.

Again, repeating what I've said before, it's not the fact that they removed the feature that makes me mad, it's the fact that they pretend that the feature was never there to begin with. This is unfortunately how Apple has been treating its customers as of lately, i.e. like sh*t. If they have come up and said "hey, this feature isn't ready yet, but we'll add it on later as soon as we fix it" then we wouldn't be having this conversation.

I'm betting it won't be ready nearly as quickly as some people are hoping for, just correcting all the bugs in the new OS is going to take them at least a couple of months, only then can they concentrate on adding new features (which come to think of it they rarely do in minor releases).
post #118 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by macFanDave View Post

My father-in-law gave me his $100 iPhone rebate and my D-Link Wireless Router started flaking out so I bought an AEBS (GigE) a month or so ago.

I found 500 GB external FW/USB2 HD's for $119 each at Fry's so I was able to set up my dream back-up solution. I bought two drives and originally make identical full back-ups on both using SuperDuper! I took one to the office for off-site storage and kept one at home. Each Sunday, I'd do an incremental back-up and swap the drives on Monday.

I like this set-up so much, I don't think I'm going to need Time Machine so much.

I hope Shirt Pocket can get the Leopard-compatible version of SuperDuper! out soon. I am really liking their product!

Sounds like a good backup routine!
OK, can I have my matte Apple display, now?
post #119 of 155
Quote:

it's not the fact that they removed the feature that makes me mad, it's the fact that they pretend that the feature was never there to begin with.

I think you've hit the nail on the head.
post #120 of 155
So i have to say that I was pretty annoyed to read that Apple had pulled Time Machine over AirDisk yesterday. Much to my surprise this morning when I turned on my MacBook Time Machine found the disk I used yesterday to do a complete backup and began another backup, only this time it was plugged into my AEBS not my MacBook. I did not use any of the hacks that have been described online...it just worked

Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Apple yanks wireless backup from Leopard last minute