or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › I'm addicted to the CPU Monitor

I'm addicted to the CPU Monitor

post #1 of 9
What did I ever do without this? I've got it tucked away in the lower left hand corner, in "floating window" format. I've even learned several things:

1 Itunes playing MP3s in the background uses about 20% of the processor power.
2 Microsoft Turd for OS X hogs the processor, sometimes even in the background.
3 When a web page isn't loading, I can usually tell if it's a pipeline, or computer issue by watching the meter.

Anyway, good to be back everyone! Lurked around MacAddict and MacWorld for a stretch, but this is my first. Registered in October 1999. Yikes!
post #2 of 9
iTunes is suppose to eat up processor time according to the bright people here. lowly macs do not have the memory bandwidth and processor power to decode MP3s at equal rates of other PCs
post #3 of 9
I dunno if it's any comparision, but I like Peek-A-boo's CPU History log.
post #4 of 9
[quote]Originally posted by francisG3:
<strong>I'm addicted to the CPU Monitor !</strong><hr></blockquote>

How I wish I had your addiction problem

Lose your dreams and you may lose your mind
Lose your dreams and you may lose your mind
post #5 of 9
No, iTunes is just a hog thats all. I use MpegToaster and it hardly uses any CPU time at all.

As for CPU monitors I like LoadInDock and ThermoInDock. Get them at Versiontracker
_ _ __________________________________________________ _______________ _ _
Mac OS X, FreeBSD, Mandrake Linux and Windows XP are my OS's. I am GEEK, hear me roar.
_ _ __________________________________________________ _______________ _ _
Mac OS X, FreeBSD, Mandrake Linux and Windows XP are my OS's. I am GEEK, hear me roar.
post #6 of 9
We have an 8 proc SGI here. It's fun to watch the bars for each CPU bob back and forth. For the most part they are either doing nothing or are pegged.

I personally never found CPU monitors that useful.
post #7 of 9
Yeah the CPU monitor is virtually useless, but way cool. I turn it off when I'm working, but for surfing or putzing around, it's on and I'm stoked!
post #8 of 9
I dunno, I kinda like 'top -u' Seeing the numbers change on my translucent black/amber terminal is just too cool.
post #9 of 9
In Windows 2000 the Task Manager has a CPU Monitor built in. While I don't think it's all that useful my computer has developed an annoying habit of jumping to %100 CPU Utilization for 2-3 straight..of course this grinds everything else to a halt in the meantime. I probably have a virus or something but I'm too lazy to check.
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › I'm addicted to the CPU Monitor