Originally Posted by KramerInd
My network is locked down, tight...with a firewall and two routers behind the firewall that can only be accessed by hard wire an I can visually see the wires that are connected. There's no wifi penetration. There is no wired connections that are unknown.
Internet - FW - Router - Router ----devices
There are no connected devices that can serve as wireless access points...for example a rouge PC/Mac user who turned on networking and made their machine a wifi access point. It's as secure as a wired network can be.
Yet I have devices showing up under the shared section. These are not moochers. The device names are devices I created a while back. Lets say the device name is SMITH. It's still showing up as SMITH though I have removed SMITH from the network and put JONES in it's place. I can connect to JONES just fine. I cannot connect to SMITH, because it is not there, though it remains showing under the list of shared devices.
I have cleared my cache and the reset the arp cache on the routers and firewall but this name still shows up as shared whenever I am on this network. I've rebooted, and it's still there. I go to another network, it's gone. I come back, it returns. Something is stuck or broadcasting the name.
Removing the shared devices from showing up through the finder preferences is not a fix nor a work around, there are legitimate devices that should show up. It's the ones that will not go away tough they have been gone for months that are frustrating.
I have not tried to remove them through terminal by unmounting.
There is an issue that is beyond network security. I can also replicate it on another Mac. Both are running 10.6.5. These dead device names just will not go away.
I spent an hour on the phone with Apple Support. This issue of a dead device is completely unknown to them and they could not figure out how to get rid of it.
In my case, on my iMac (Snow Leopard) I wanted to change the name of my login from (example) "firstlast" to "last". Not knowing then how to do it right, I simply created a new login, moved all the files from "firstlast" to "last" and then deleted "/Users/firstlast". Ever since then I have seen "firstlast_host.local" in Shared.
I bought a new laptop and decided to clone the iMac to the MacBook Pro. Now I have that problem on both computers.
The only way out of this is to reinstall everything from scratch and rebuild from the ground up.