or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple releases iMac freezing fix, MacBook Pro software update

Apple releases iMac freezing fix, MacBook Pro software update - Page 2

post #41 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgoss View Post

Dave,

I ran repair permissions and repair disk as you suggested. After booting up and opening a few apps, things definitely seem faster. I'll see how this goes before rerunning leopard. If I do the rerun, would it be optimal to completely erase (copying files first of course) and do a clean install?

Thanks,

TGoss

Leopard also reindexes after installation, and if you've identified a Time Machine GUID volume, it will proceed with that backup, as well. Both these actions can slow down your initial Leopard experience, until they complete.

If you have any problems with your current installation of Leopard after the indexing and backup complete, then I'd consider the Archive & Install option. To be fair, I'm not sure the Leopard DVD calls it that (that's old Tiger terminology), but the option that's equivalent is the one that DOES NOT erase your hard drive, and retains your user environment/applications/folders, and is NOT the one that says UPGRADE. Basically, it's the option that saves your current System folder to a Previous Systems folder, and creates a clean new one from your Leopard DVD.

As I said earlier, any applications that installed files into this folder may have to be reinstalled, or their files dug out of the Previous Systems folder and placed in the appropriate place in the new System folder. Of course, simply running those applications installers over will also work. If you have Adobe CS2/CS3 on your system, I'd deactivate them temporarily, then reactivate them after the System replacement. Do NOT uninstall the Adobe suite. The CS3 installer doesn't work in Leopard (it appears to, but fails at the end).

If you do reinstall a clean copy of Leopard's System folder, and you're not happy with the performance (which should be snappy, following the indexing/backup completion), I'd consider the next step I recommended (DiskWarrior/iDefrag, both run from either their CDs or from a Tiger startup volume). That will maximize your Mac's performance.

On my Macs, I performed a SuperDuper! backup to an external FireWire hard drive, erased the volume, installed a clean copy of Leopard on the erased volume, and migrated my accounts/apps/folders from the SuperDuper! bootable volume at Leopard's initial startup. After I logged into Leopard then for the first time I immediately rebooted from my SuperDuper! Tiger FireWire hard drive backup to run DiskWarrior and iDefrag. After that I rebooted into Leopard and everything was sweet. (Note that neither DiskWarrior nor iDefrag nor SuperDuper! may yet be run from a Leopard volume, but they all work ON a Leopard volume. So, to use them you'll need to run them, say, from the Tiger SuperDuper! backup volume. I mention this in passing because I had previously been performing a nightly SuperDuper! Smart Backup to that external FireWire drive, and I had to turn it OFF after I migrated everything to the new Leopard startup volume, so that it wouldn't startup in Leopard and toast my backup.)

Good Luck.

- Dave Marsh
iMac Intel 27" 3.4GHz, iPadĀ Air 64GB, iPhone 5 32GB

- Dave Marsh
iMac Intel 27" 3.4GHz, iPadĀ Air 64GB, iPhone 5 32GB

post #42 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgoss View Post

How was your experience in doing this?

Actually, my Leopard problem was not poor performance; the machine decided not to boot at ALL. After about five days, I started up one morning and got to the blue screen that should appear just before the desktop; but that's as far as it would go. I was able to see the volume via FireWire target mode, so I backed up all my documents and did the clean (Tiger) install. Drastic, but I had it in mind that this might fix my freezing issues as well - which, so far, it has.

Your problem sounds very different, and Dave is right, the system should not be sluggish, especially with 4GB of RAM. When Leopard was WORKING, everything was very responsive for me. If you haven't already reinstalled, you might try running the Activity Monitor to see if something is hogging RAM or CPU cycles. There may be something running in the background that you're not even aware of.
post #43 of 44
It's been almost a week now that I've been running smcFanControl and not a single crash. I would highly recommend this route to everyone. Having your iMac constantly overheat and crash on you could have long lasting effects on the hardware.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucci View Post

I've been having a lot of crashes recently as well. I thought it may be heat related so I got a temperature widget. Turns out my video card was getting up to 67C (152.6F) and the CPU was 55C (131F)! Since then I've downloaded a program called smcFanControl and bumped up the CPU fan from a default of 1000rpms to 2700rpms. It's a little louder, but I haven't had any crashes since. Temperatures now average at 38C for CPU and 46C video.

It looks like there is some sort of disconnect from the heat sensors to the fan controls. That's my guess at least.

http://homepage.mac.com/holtmann/eidac/
post #44 of 44
I had it in mind that this might fix my freezing issues as well - which, so far, it has.
sonnerie portable gratuite
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple releases iMac freezing fix, MacBook Pro software update