or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Does Turning Off "Data Roaming" Really Work Abroad?

Does Turning Off "Data Roaming" Really Work Abroad?

post #1 of 3
Has anyone travelled abroad with the Data Roaming feature turned off? Does it, indeed, work -- i.e., you don't get charged for accidental EDGE/GPRS downloads, but can still use voice and wifi?

The reason I ask is, the iPhone's instructions right below that setting says something weasel-y like "When abroad, turning off Data Roaming may avoid roaming charges when using email........"

That hedged sentence has me a bit worried.

(I checked with ATT's international services and they assured me that it should work, but then, I don't have a lot of confidence in their advice -- for reasons I won't go into again, since I have done it elsewhere in this Forum).
Tim Cook is gay, believes in climate change, and cares deeply about racial equality. Deal with it (and please spare us if you can't).
Tim Cook is gay, believes in climate change, and cares deeply about racial equality. Deal with it (and please spare us if you can't).
post #2 of 3
Hmmm... no reply yet. Not good news.

(The only reason I am replying to my own posting is so that the question stays in Page 1 of the iPhone Forums)
post #3 of 3
Didn't they announce a flat rate recently? If you use up to 50MB they will charge something like $25 a month and after that it's a pretty low rate. People shouldn't end up with huge $1000+ bills like they have before. It's unlikely that you will exceed 50MB using email.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Does Turning Off "Data Roaming" Really Work Abroad?