or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Blu-ray vs. HD DVD (2008)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Blu-ray vs. HD DVD (2008) - Page 54

post #2121 of 2640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishyesque View Post

HECK YEAH!!!!!!!!

I hope so!! I love having insane audio quality.
Besides, what's so bad about that?

HEY! You never said anything about Infinity Ward!

And if the PS3 'doesn't have good games,' they can always just take the 360s exclusives.

Like how Bioshock is coming to PS3.

if the entire disk is filled with uncompressed sound that'd be like offering music in .wave formate. which is uhh almost absolutely pointless considering most people do not have the sound system capable of enjoying such high fidelity. if that is the case, sorry, it will hold no weight in the "ps3 games need bluray space" argument.

Infinity Ward did create a really good multi-platform game that is nearly identical to each other, yes. they are a very talented bunch over there and should be applauded for their efforts. reality is, not many companies will have the resources and time to spend on both systems. the return that most devs get on the ps3 are minimal, only a few gaming companies have made any significant money on the ps3 as of late. that's just reality man.

yes, if bioshock comes to the ps3 good for you guys that haven't played it,it's an amazing game. you should hope that it isn't a complete wash out like a lot of other late arrivals to the system.
post #2122 of 2640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elixir View Post

if the entire disk is filled with uncompressed sound that'd be like offering music in .wave formate. which is uhh almost absolutely pointless considering most people do not have the sound system capable of enjoying such high fidelity. if that is the case, sorry, it will hold no weight in the "ps3 games need bluray space" argument.

Infinity Ward did create a really good multi-platform game that is nearly identical to each other, yes. they are a very talented bunch over there and should be applauded for their efforts. reality is, not many companies will have the resources and time to spend on both systems. the return that most devs get on the ps3 are minimal, only a few gaming companies have made any significant money on the ps3 as of late. that's just reality man.

yes, if bioshock comes to the ps3 good for you guys that haven't played it,it's an amazing game. you should hope that it isn't a complete wash out like a lot of other late arrivals to the system.

Speak for yourself, but my receiver will put out uncompressed audio and I want it. Not sure why you are such a 360 fanboi about it, but audio is very important and adds a ton to the movie/game experience. I really hate the spectacular audio in MLB The Show 08, what a terrible feature. Oh wait, I guess you haven't played that game, since it isn't on your precious 360.
post #2123 of 2640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elixir View Post

if the entire disk is filled with uncompressed sound that'd be like offering music in .wave formate. which is uhh almost absolutely pointless considering most people do not have the sound system capable of enjoying such high fidelity. if that is the case, sorry, it will hold no weight in the "ps3 games need bluray space" argument.

Infinity Ward did create a really good multi-platform game that is nearly identical to each other, yes. they are a very talented bunch over there and should be applauded for their efforts. reality is, not many companies will have the resources and time to spend on both systems. the return that most devs get on the ps3 are minimal, only a few gaming companies have made any significant money on the ps3 as of late. that's just reality man.

yes, if bioshock comes to the ps3 good for you guys that haven't played it,it's an amazing game. you should hope that it isn't a complete wash out like a lot of other late arrivals to the system.

Well they're saying it'll be better on the PS3. We'll see what happens.

And honestly, the entire disk? That's just ridiculous. Audio is a big thing, but it doesn't fill up the entire disk. Not even close.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam'ron View Post

Speak for yourself, but my receiver will put out uncompressed audio and I want it. Not sure why you are such a 360 fanboi about it, but audio is very important and adds a ton to the movie/game experience. I really hate the spectacular audio in MLB The Show 08, what a terrible feature. Oh wait, I guess you haven't played that game, since it isn't on your precious 360.

I LOVE THAT FREAKING GAME. Seriously, greatest baseball game out there.
post #2124 of 2640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam'ron View Post

Speak for yourself, but my receiver will put out uncompressed audio and I want it.

as will mine
I don't see how an anti M$ stance can be seen as a bad thing on an Apple forum I really can't!

nagromme - According to Amazon: "SpongBob Typing Tutor" is outselling Windows
Reply
I don't see how an anti M$ stance can be seen as a bad thing on an Apple forum I really can't!

nagromme - According to Amazon: "SpongBob Typing Tutor" is outselling Windows
Reply
post #2125 of 2640
Aaaaaaaaaand mine.
post #2126 of 2640
braggards

He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
Reply
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
Reply
post #2127 of 2640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam'ron View Post

Speak for yourself, but my receiver will put out uncompressed audio and I want it. Not sure why you are such a 360 fanboi about it, but audio is very important and adds a ton to the movie/game experience. I really hate the spectacular audio in MLB The Show 08, what a terrible feature. Oh wait, I guess you haven't played that game, since it isn't on your precious 360.

being a fanboy or being realistic? it's great that you, and a few others that post in a tech based forum (not to mention a thread about a brand new high def format) have the audio to support such fidelity but most do not, therefore it is NOT A REQUIREMENT FOR NEXT GEN GAMING. this was the argument we've been having, or did you forget?

so, to make it simple for you it means bluray wouldn't be required for games during this gen if all they filled the disk up with was uncompressed audio and code. is that hard to understand? just because YOU want it, and just because YOU have the system to support it does not mean it is something needed or even feasible for most.

do i have to also remind you of the devs that re-looped and layered code on the disk in order to try and shorten load times? im' sure you dont need reminding of that, since you have to download 4gig+ for every single game in order to have bearable loading times. right?

Fishy- it's cool that you may be enjoying a great game like Bioshock on your ps3 soon but please leave the fud out of it. the only people saying its going to be better on the ps3 are the playstation magazine editors...

and even so, i would hope the dev team over there could manage some improvements after an entire year of porting the game over, you agree? for your sake i hope the game doesn't turn out like lost planet, or ninja gaiden sigma cuz if so you'll be hearing from me
post #2128 of 2640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elixir View Post

Fishy- it's cool that you may be enjoying a great game like Bioshock on your ps3 soon but please leave the fud out of it. the only people saying its going to be better on the ps3 are the playstation magazine editors...

and even so, i would hope the dev team over there could manage some improvements after an entire year of porting the game over, you agree? for your sake i hope the game doesn't turn out like lost planet, or ninja gaiden sigma cuz if so you'll be hearing from me

I only said that because I was curious if you'd use the term 'fud' in your response. It's nice knowing people so well.

That being said, do you honestly think that the audio takes up 40gb? I don't think so. Even without uncompressed sound (even though that's just been your guess as to what is the majority of data on the disc) it wouldn't fit on a normal/dual layered DVD.

And honestly? Stop over exaggerating things. The majority of games do not have a mandatory install.
post #2129 of 2640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elixir View Post

being a fanboy or being realistic? it's great that you, and a few others that post in a tech based forum (not to mention a thread about a brand new high def format) have the audio to support such fidelity but most do not, therefore it is NOT A REQUIREMENT FOR NEXT GEN GAMING. this was the argument we've been having, or did you forget?


see what you did there?

thread about a BRAND NEW HIGH DEF FORMAT

which the 360 has NOTHING to do with.. now PLEASE go away and take your biased FUD with you
I don't see how an anti M$ stance can be seen as a bad thing on an Apple forum I really can't!

nagromme - According to Amazon: "SpongBob Typing Tutor" is outselling Windows
Reply
I don't see how an anti M$ stance can be seen as a bad thing on an Apple forum I really can't!

nagromme - According to Amazon: "SpongBob Typing Tutor" is outselling Windows
Reply
post #2130 of 2640
Bahahahaha.

How often will Blu-ray's capacity be increased, I wonder?

That being said (to keep it on topic) The Legend of Dragoon (PS1) is amazing.
post #2131 of 2640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elixir View Post

...
nonesense talk ->so, to make it simple for you it means bluray wouldn't be required for games during this gen if all they filled the disk up with was uncompressed audio and code. is that hard to understand? just because YOU want it, and just because YOU have the system to support it does not mean it is something needed or even feasible for most...

It is only realistic for someone who doesn't want progression. Did Lost Odessey take up 4 or so discs for the 360? Yeah I'm pretty sure games graphically and coding wise are getting bigger, not just audio wise. I'm pretty sure Blu-Ray benefits for games that are coming out sooner rather than later. But games (multi-platform) that could be bigger aren't because of the 360 and its use of DVD. If MS didn't rush out the door with their next gen system to gain market share, they might have a more advanced optical media and have been smart enough to build in a HDD on all systems.

I'm not sure what the big deal about downloading content to speed up load times is. It means load times are faster on the PS3 than the 360, damn that sucks.

Just so you know, Elixir, the point of HD is to offer something better with the hopes that people buy in to it. If companies thought like you ("oh dvd is good enough, who needs better audio?") then there would be no movement forward in development. Your responses are silly and speak to defend your inferior 360.

Fishyesque, have you played Star Ocean on the PS2? I hear it is good, I picked it up for under $7. Is it true there is a rediculous amount of ways it can end?
post #2132 of 2640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam'ron View Post

I'm not sure what the big deal about downloading content to speed up load times is. It means load times are faster on the PS3 than the 360, damn that sucks.

Fishyesque, have you played Star Ocean on the PS2? I hear it is good, I picked it up for under $7. Is it true there is a rediculous amount of ways it can end?

I agree with all your points. And actually I haven't, but a friend of mine can't shut up about the game! I need to pick it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiki

One of the things about the game that was hyped were its multiple endings. The exact number is often said to be 87, though it's really 86 with two having minor differences. There is one ending for each character alone and one for each possible pair of characters. If two characters could be recruited together, they can have an ending together. For example, an ending involving Bowman and Precis does not exist as you cannot have both recruited. There are also secret endings involving characters outside of the party. This adds a certain element of replay value to the game; to see all the character endings, it would be necessary to play through the game nine times or more and would require a vast amount of time and effort since the game is quite long not to mention taking the time to get the characters paired up correctly.



Awesome. I'm going to have to pick this up. I have too many games to play
post #2133 of 2640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam'ron View Post

If companies thought like you ("oh dvd is good enough, who needs better audio?") then there would be no movement forward in development.

Uhh... If companies thought like that there'd be no DVD to be good enough to begin with.
post #2134 of 2640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guartho View Post

Uhh... If companies thought like that there'd be no DVD to be good enough to begin with.

Touche! (I don't know how to make an accent ague)
post #2135 of 2640
alt+1+3+8 gets you è
post #2136 of 2640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishyesque View Post

alt+1+3+8 gets you è

I believe it is the other one.
post #2137 of 2640
I know, but I was in a rush and you said you didn't know how to make an accent, so at least I was able to show you how it's done..

é theeeere we go.
post #2138 of 2640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam'ron View Post

It is only realistic for someone who doesn't want progression. Did Lost Odessey take up 4 or so discs for the 360? Yeah I'm pretty sure games graphically and coding wise are getting bigger, not just audio wise. I'm pretty sure Blu-Ray benefits for games that are coming out sooner rather than later. But games (multi-platform) that could be bigger aren't because of the 360 and its use of DVD. If MS didn't rush out the door with their next gen system to gain market share, they might have a more advanced optical media and have been smart enough to build in a HDD on all systems.

I'm not sure what the big deal about downloading content to speed up load times is. It means load times are faster on the PS3 than the 360, damn that sucks.

Just so you know, Elixir, the point of HD is to offer something better with the hopes that people buy in to it. If companies thought like you ("oh dvd is good enough, who needs better audio?") then there would be no movement forward in development. Your responses are silly and speak to defend your inferior 360.

Fishyesque, have you played Star Ocean on the PS2? I hear it is good, I picked it up for under $7. Is it true there is a rediculous amount of ways it can end?

please, take your silly a55 to an unbiased gaming forum and watch your ridiculous arguments crumble. it is pretty much common knowledge that the 360 spanks the ps3 in exclusive content as well as multi-platform games. only a very select few developers have managed to create simultaneous releases where there wasn't a disparity between the two versions of the game (rockstar did, after they delayed GTA because of the ps3, and then the ps3 version ends up being plagued by a mysterious unknown freezing issue on the ps3 anyway) why didn't you bring that up? instead, you choose to single out a developer developing a sony property to talk about the 360 hindering a game. a game not yet proven worth a damn , from an unproven dev team. lol

i mean look what you did to strengthen your other argument- bluray has yet to be used at all for gaming, MGS4 is supposedly going to be the only one to do something useful with the space, wonderful- you rather get hit hard on the memory side in order to have about the same loading speed as a default 360? i mean that's just moronic but hey that is what fanboys do.

i have a friend with a ps3, he downloads the mandatory update for 90% of his games. he's a very active user with lots of songs, extra content on his machine and he has to always go back and delete the updates in order to have sufficient space. thats a hassle.

you dont see me here defending the poor quality of the initial 360's that were out, f/ck microsoft for putting out faulty consoles. i wont deny it, i wont hide it, but damn if anyone in here is licking boot it's definitely you bud.

the PS3 is all about the future, all about potential, that just seems to drag on forever. f/ck, by time the "future" gets here everyone will have hopped on to the next gen lol. so, go ahead eat the bluray costs, eat the ps3 costs, hold on tight little fanboy, hold on. i'm sure the ps3 will eventually sometime in the "future" become the unit you want and expect it to be.

in the meantime i'll enjoy the best games on the best console, thanks.

once the ps3 gets where it's been saying it will be i'll be in line to get one if the price is reasonable. just like i'd jump on to bluray if they offered a cheaper player, but they wont will they? they know the ps3 hangs in the balance of whether or not bluray takes off.
post #2139 of 2640
You're a douchebag when you argue (saying that makes me one, but it was worth it :P )
I mean, honestly. There's such a way to argue without coming across as a prick.

The thing that I wonder, is that if everything that you say is completely true, I don't know why anyone would enjoy owning a PS3. I know I wouldn't. Yet everyone that I know that has one loves it. The majority do. I've heard countless times people (who own all three) saying that they prefer the PS3.

All that I am trying to get across to you, you know what, forget it. The one thing I've learned from you is that you simply don't get it. I'm glad you have a console you can enjoy.

Cheers

Fishyedit: Hahahahahaha I remember way back in the day when you said that this argument was over.
If only it had been.
post #2140 of 2640
What a compelling arguement based on opinion and rumours!
post #2141 of 2640
Seriously, since everything's getting blown out of proportion, can we stop? Me included.

The 360 has nothing to do with this thread anymore. Let's leave it out.
post #2142 of 2640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam'ron View Post

What a compelling arguement based on opinion and rumours!

i told you before little camron, if you need proof go look up some software sales, attachment rates, and game rankings yourself. you dont need me to hold your hand, do you?

fishy- me coming off as a prick? fine, i'm not telling people to go blow some old guys cock, am i? funny thing is, i get the same thing in a pro-windows environment. i've been told many times to stop getting brown nosed by steve jobs when pushing MACOSX. it's all the same, good fun yeah?

im not saying a PS3 cant fit some ones needs. if you really must have the few exclusives the system has, and you want bluray, then absolutely get a PS3. if you're a gamer and you want the best gaming experience, it's pretty fair to say you'll have an overall better experience with a 360 right now. did you not say something like that yourself? ok, then we're all good. for now
post #2143 of 2640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elixir View Post

i told you before little camron, if you need proof go look up some software sales, attachment rates, and game rankings yourself. you dont need me to hold your hand, do you?

fishy- me coming off as a prick? fine, i'm not telling people to go blow some old guys cock, am i? funny thing is, i get the same thing in a pro-windows environment. i've been told many times to stop getting brown nosed by steve jobs when pushing MACOSX. it's all the same, good fun yeah?

im not saying a PS3 cant fit some ones needs. if you really must have the few exclusives the system has, and you want bluray, then absolutely get a PS3. if you're a gamer and you want the best gaming experience, it's pretty fair to say you'll have an overall better experience with a 360 right now. did you not say something like that yourself? ok, then we're all good. for now

Software sales? GTAIV sold better on the PS3.

If you were telling us to do that I'd at least think you were having a debate that's leaning towards the fun/joking side rather than complete bashing.

And you are perfectly aware that those aren't the only reasons one would get a PS3.

And sure, I've said it countless times. You might be more likely to have a better gaming experience on the 360. (Until it dies on you oh burn!!) see? That's called being plaayful

And most people use their PS3 for A LOT more than just gaming. (because they run out of games to play oh burn!! )

Seriously though. The difference in how good the consoles are isn't as extreme as you make it out to be.
post #2144 of 2640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishyesque View Post

Software sales? GTAIV sold better on the PS3.

.

uhh wut?

GTA sold 1.83 million on the 360 in the US vs
1 million for the PS3.

In the UK the 360 version in its first 5 days beat the PS3's with 55% to 45% and now has increased to 65% vs 35%

So, unless the PS3 version completely smashed the 360's version in Europe there is no way the PS3 version outsold the 360's overall, which no one is saying it did, it's the other way around. where do you get your info from? lol
post #2145 of 2640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elixir View Post

uhh wut?

GTA sold 1.83 million on the 360 in the US vs
1 million for the PS3.

In the UK the 360 version in its first 5 days beat the PS3's with 55% to 45% and now has increased to 65% vs 35%

So, unless the PS3 version completely smashed the 360's version in Europe there is no way the PS3 version outsold the 360's overall, which no one is saying it did, it's the other way around. where do you get your info from? lol

You misunderstood me.

I'm talking based on the install base. The number sold compared to the number of consoles. There are more 360s out there, more than 2 to 1. Do you see what I'm saying?
post #2146 of 2640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishyesque View Post

You misunderstood me.

I'm talking based on the install base. The number sold compared to the number of consoles. There are more 360s out there, more than 2 to 1. Do you see what I'm saying?

doesn't matter. the correlation may be irrelevant. the trend seems to be as time goes by the difference becomes greater, so what may you conclude from that? that more people with 360's are still picking up the game... right?

damn PS3 kids and their bloated justifications. it's like if i blamed the initial faulty 360's on IBM's overheating G5's =P
post #2147 of 2640
It's not bloated. What don't you understand? A higher percentage of PS3 owners are picking up the game.
post #2148 of 2640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishyesque View Post

Seriously, since everything's getting blown out of proportion, can we stop? Me included.

The 360 has nothing to do with this thread anymore. Let's leave it out.

did I mention earlier, not to feed the Troll?
I don't see how an anti M$ stance can be seen as a bad thing on an Apple forum I really can't!

nagromme - According to Amazon: "SpongBob Typing Tutor" is outselling Windows
Reply
I don't see how an anti M$ stance can be seen as a bad thing on an Apple forum I really can't!

nagromme - According to Amazon: "SpongBob Typing Tutor" is outselling Windows
Reply
post #2149 of 2640
But trolls need food to live too, even if they're big and clumsy and never know what's going on.
post #2150 of 2640
haha.... that just about includes everyone. So, when is PS3 supposed to save Blu-Ray or was it Blu-Ray saving PS3?

Oops, I'm feeding the troll, too. My bad.
always a newbie
Reply
always a newbie
Reply
post #2151 of 2640
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCodger73 View Post

I remember back in 2006 when I bought our plasma I felt fortunate to sell our 36" HD ready Sony CRT on CraigsList even though it was at a fraction of what we had paid for it. Here in Washington state you must recycle old TVs, for a fee of course, which leads some people to illegally dumping them in the countryside

I still have one of those Sony CRT monster collecting dust in my garage. I'm saving it for my next house with a basement.

So, how much to pay for the disposal fee?
always a newbie
Reply
always a newbie
Reply
post #2152 of 2640
Quote:
Originally Posted by bitemymac View Post

haha.... that just about includes everyone. So, when is PS3 supposed to save Blu-Ray or was it Blu-Ray saving PS3?

Oops, I'm feeding the troll, too. My bad.

No silly, you are the Blu-Ray troll, memba?

Can anyone tell me why Elixir is such a condescending ass just because I don't agree with him?
Dude, seriously, I don't care about your "facts" or how great the 360 is. I much more satisfied with my PS3, simple as that. I'll continue on enjoying my HD movies with uncompressed audio, you can have fun with your DVDs. I don't care.

BACK ON TOPIC. When the fuck is Apple releasing an internal blu-ray option? Are there any external drives supported by Mac OS and at a decent price yet?

I picked up Rambo today, gonna give that a whirl tomorrow or the next day. I'm gonna enjoy Rambo's brand of ultra-violence w/ DTS-HD MA greatness!!
post #2153 of 2640
Quote:
Originally Posted by bitemymac View Post

I still have one of those Sony CRT monster collecting dust in my garage. I'm saving it for my next house with a basement.

So, how much to pay for the disposal fee?

You might have charity companies that take donated monitors of decent value. I finished working (today in fact) at a place called Renewed Computer Technology. They refurbish donated computers/monitors (mainly government, but some other big companies too) and sell them to the school boards in Ontario at a very minimal cost. Give that a shot, then you will have good karma too.
post #2154 of 2640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Slocombe View Post

did I mention earlier, not to feed the Troll?

yes,yes i'm the troll with the logic. it's fine that you have a few buddies in here spitting out garbage, thats cool, enjoy your system, no one is dogging you guys.

just don't be anti-microsoft all the time just because you own a f/cking apple computer.
post #2155 of 2640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam'ron View Post

No silly, you are the Blu-Ray troll, memba?

Can anyone tell me why Elixir is such a condescending ass just because I don't agree with him?
Dude, seriously, I don't care about your "facts" or how great the 360 is. I much more satisfied with my PS3, simple as that. I'll continue on enjoying my HD movies with uncompressed audio, you can have fun with your DVDs. I don't care.

BACK ON TOPIC. When the fuck is Apple releasing an internal blu-ray option? Are there any external drives supported by Mac OS and at a decent price yet?

I picked up Rambo today, gonna give that a whirl tomorrow or the next day. I'm gonna enjoy Rambo's brand of ultra-violence w/ DTS-HD MA greatness!!


The recent Rambo film?

its pretty good.. all things considered, not a patch on First Blood though, remeber being blown away by the blunt force trauma of that movie in the cinema

Funny how the Troll apparently has Logic, didn't know it was able to run pro apps on its console
I don't see how an anti M$ stance can be seen as a bad thing on an Apple forum I really can't!

nagromme - According to Amazon: "SpongBob Typing Tutor" is outselling Windows
Reply
I don't see how an anti M$ stance can be seen as a bad thing on an Apple forum I really can't!

nagromme - According to Amazon: "SpongBob Typing Tutor" is outselling Windows
Reply
post #2156 of 2640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elixir View Post

yes,yes i'm the troll with the logic. it's fine that you have a few buddies in here spitting out garbage, thats cool, enjoy your system, no one is dogging you guys.

just don't be anti-microsoft all the time just because you own a f/cking apple computer.

If you go back over the thread I think even you will not be able to paint me as Walter's buddy. I think I even called him a troll a few pages back. But going on and on about game consoles and how the one that you have kicks the ass of the one you don't have in a thread about one HD disc format vs. another dead HD disc format is being a troll. It is not being logical.

On any other board this thread would've been closed by now. My theory is that it's been left open for tradition's sake. I understand that. I understand the desire by us posters to keep it alive for tradition's sake as well. But if we're not talking about HDDVD and Blu-ray or something related to it, does it really count? When we bicker about game consoles it takes away from the glorious bragging rights of our multi-year red/blue discussion.

I guess all I'm really trying to say is, "Don't tarnish the purple fury."
post #2157 of 2640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elixir View Post

yes,yes i'm the troll with the logic. it's fine that you have a few buddies in here spitting out garbage, thats cool, enjoy your system, no one is dogging you guys.

just don't be anti-microsoft all the time just because you own a f/cking apple computer.

Who said I'm anti-microsoft because I have a Mac? I am anti-microsoft based on principle.
post #2158 of 2640
deary me girls cant we all be bestest buds? har har


the "I hate Sony because of BD" lot will hate this

http://www.engadget.com/2008/05/24/b...er-for-349-ps/

but there it is none the less, a player BELOW the price of the PS3

yes yes I can almost hear the hardening of their hearts as they point out the OPINION that had HD-DVD (do we remember that?) had still been about, that this player would have been cheaper..

.. but then I ask them WHY oh WHY is it that this BLU-RAY player (note that well, lest your previous posts come and hit you over the head) comes to us via Funai.

and like wow, i mean like yeah, wernt they the uber cheap-o company that were gonna like, you know, ROCK the HD-DVD world with cheap players that NEVER APPEARED!??

I rust my clasp
I don't see how an anti M$ stance can be seen as a bad thing on an Apple forum I really can't!

nagromme - According to Amazon: "SpongBob Typing Tutor" is outselling Windows
Reply
I don't see how an anti M$ stance can be seen as a bad thing on an Apple forum I really can't!

nagromme - According to Amazon: "SpongBob Typing Tutor" is outselling Windows
Reply
post #2159 of 2640
Quote:
Originally Posted by bitemymac View Post

I still have one of those Sony CRT monster collecting dust in my garage. I'm saving it for my next house with a basement.

So, how much to pay for the disposal fee?

Those old monsters were state-of-the-art in their day and are freaking heavy.

I'm not sure of the disposal fee now days. Back 5 or so years ago I think it was in the $20-30 range.

Just back from a family vacation and am looking forward to watching Juno, a rental from Netflix, and National Treasure 2, a guilty pleasure purchase, and A Passage to India, a great David Lean film and another purchase.

Speaking of David Lean, is anyone else looking forward to the sometime in the future release of Lawrence of Arabia.

Sorry to take the discussion away from arguing about gaming systems, yeah right!
post #2160 of 2640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Slocombe View Post

http://www.engadget.com/2008/05/24/b...er-for-349-ps/

I'm a PS3 fan and bought into Blu full tilt. But, that Best Buy player is too expensive and doesn't hit the sweet spot of $299. $349 is just not an attractive marketing number. I'm sure Best Buy ran the numbers and concluded this was the most profitable for them, but I still think it's $50 too expensive.

It's like saying the gaming option of the PS3 is worth only $50. Doesn't it strike anyone else as odd that a full-tilt home entertainment gaming console is only $50 more expensive than a stand-alone Blu-Ray box? Or you can look at it in the reverse -- for only $50 more I get a Blu-Ray player AND EVERYTHING ELSE.

I don't get these pricing models at all. I think the PS3 pricing is spot on. But the stand-alone-I-only-play-movies units should be significantly cheaper.

OR -- maybe Sony's licensing fees with other manufacturer's is designed to protect the PS3 for as long as possible. Perhaps Sony wants everyone to buy a PS3 instead of a stand alone and has structured its licensing deals accordingly. Or Sony has a monopoly on blue laser diods and is keeping them out of other manufacturer's hands, cornering the market.
"The selfishness of Ayn Rand capitalism is the equivalent of intellectual masturbation -- satisfying in an ego-stroking way, but an ethical void when it comes to our commonly shared humanity."
Reply
"The selfishness of Ayn Rand capitalism is the equivalent of intellectual masturbation -- satisfying in an ego-stroking way, but an ethical void when it comes to our commonly shared humanity."
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Blu-ray vs. HD DVD (2008)