or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Blu-ray vs. HD DVD (2008)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Blu-ray vs. HD DVD (2008) - Page 56

post #2201 of 2640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Slocombe View Post

So your looking forward to a format that will likely fail, but havent bought into BD yet.. and you ARN'T a fanboy??

Is it just me, or am I missing something here? can anyone else explain "his" aversion ??

You wouldn't know even when explained multiple times. Obviously, you still don't get it.

BTW, did someone assigned a deadline for me when to get BD. Get a life little man, internet is no place to play parent or a boss.
always a newbie
Reply
always a newbie
Reply
post #2202 of 2640
http://www.engadget.com/2008/06/06/s...rives-by-year/

bare drive to be $100 by years end

$150 for slim line versions.

Im not going to hold my breath for a BTO option on the MacPro until Jan 09 at the earliest iLife 09 with BD burning, anyone?

And somehow unless by "slimline" Sony mean slimmer than current offerings, I cant see these going in the laptops,, even iMacs are gonna start to look doubtful.

but its all still "possible" isnt it?

at least those who claim to want to put a drive in their HTPC will have less of a barrier .. ahem.

Interesting to see what 3rd parties will do for the Mac user though.
I don't see how an anti M$ stance can be seen as a bad thing on an Apple forum I really can't!

nagromme - According to Amazon: "SpongBob Typing Tutor" is outselling Windows
Reply
I don't see how an anti M$ stance can be seen as a bad thing on an Apple forum I really can't!

nagromme - According to Amazon: "SpongBob Typing Tutor" is outselling Windows
Reply
post #2203 of 2640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elixir View Post

i just don't think you can read properly and understand arguments, can you? the point was that bluray was supposed to do something for gaming, it hasn't translated into any "progression" at all. bluray in this generation of games is not needed like Sony claimed.

Sorry for commenting to an older post, but I thought it was a very interesting observation.

M$FT beat Sony to the punch big-time with the 360. They set the barometer on how much time, energy and money would go into a next-gen game. They set the price, and thereby set the development budget per game. Studios that make both PS3 and 360 games will never spend more time or money taking advantage of the 50GB of space when they can't sell their game for any more than the 360 version which is selling for 59.99. Its simple marketing.

So Sony can only expect to see a noticeable difference on those games that are exclusive to PS3, which of course can not be compared to a 360 version of the same game. And even if Sony did set the trend, how many would be ok with paying 89.99 (or more) for a game with 1080p video throughout, lossless TrueHD audio, and 'just ok' gameplay?

I think M$FT outplayed Sony in this round. But that doesnt mean that consumers are losers when it comes to gaming. I think XBOX has released incredible games, and PS3 is giving me my blu-ray fix, along with MSG4. I can't complain!
post #2204 of 2640
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg_nyc View Post

Sorry for commenting to an older post, but I thought it was a very interesting observation.

M$FT beat Sony to the punch big-time with the 360. They set the barometer on how much time, energy and money would go into a next-gen game. They set the price, and thereby set the development budget per game. Studios that make both PS3 and 360 games will never spend more time or money taking advantage of the 50GB of space when they can't sell their game for any more than the 360 version which is selling for 59.99. Its simple marketing.

So Sony can only expect to see a noticeable difference on those games that are exclusive to PS3, which of course can not be compared to a 360 version of the same game. And even if Sony did set the trend, how many would be ok with paying 89.99 (or more) for a game with 1080p video throughout, lossless TrueHD audio, and 'just ok' gameplay?

I think M$FT outplayed Sony in this round. But that doesnt mean that consumers are losers when it comes to gaming. I think XBOX has released incredible games, and PS3 is giving me my blu-ray fix, along with MSG4. I can't complain!

Your point makes no sense, games get bigger and better all the time. I remember $70 Nintendo and SNES games. Were those 9GB? Negative!
post #2205 of 2640
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg_nyc View Post

Sorry for commenting to an older post, but I thought it was a very interesting observation.

M$FT beat Sony to the punch big-time with the 360. They set the barometer on how much time, energy and money would go into a next-gen game. They set the price, and thereby set the development budget per game. Studios that make both PS3 and 360 games will never spend more time or money taking advantage of the 50GB of space when they can't sell their game for any more than the 360 version which is selling for 59.99. Its simple marketing.

So Sony can only expect to see a noticeable difference on those games that are exclusive to PS3, which of course can not be compared to a 360 version of the same game. And even if Sony did set the trend, how many would be ok with paying 89.99 (or more) for a game with 1080p video throughout, lossless TrueHD audio, and 'just ok' gameplay?

I think M$FT outplayed Sony in this round. But that doesnt mean that consumers are losers when it comes to gaming. I think XBOX has released incredible games, and PS3 is giving me my blu-ray fix, along with MSG4. I can't complain!

you're absolutely right.

yet, you make it sound like microsoft held sony's system back, or i guess the developers back from creating these huge games on the PS3. fact is, i don't think there are many people out there wanting to spend 89.99 or more on a game. could you imagine? people had squibbles about paying 59.99. this has been my point about bluray in here for a while, but of course it's ignored.

also, exclusive games on sony's system haven't faired well either. most "must have" titles have either been complete busts, or just decent enough to make a slight return. it's a known fact that it's more expensive and time consuming to develop for the PS3, and this is mainly do to that oh so fabulous Cell chip (another huge bust). so, "ok" gameplay isn't about bluray, it's about the developers getting around their ridiculous architecture because the 360 like you pointed out has some amazing exclusive titles.
post #2206 of 2640
Wow...this thread is STILL going? What are we talking about fellas?
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
post #2207 of 2640
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

Wow...this thread is STILL going? What are we talking about fellas?

Yeah. No shit. It appears there's been some heated discussions about uncompressed audio, the superiority of one console over the other, and downloads versus hard media.

Oroborous.
"The selfishness of Ayn Rand capitalism is the equivalent of intellectual masturbation -- satisfying in an ego-stroking way, but an ethical void when it comes to our commonly shared humanity."
Reply
"The selfishness of Ayn Rand capitalism is the equivalent of intellectual masturbation -- satisfying in an ego-stroking way, but an ethical void when it comes to our commonly shared humanity."
Reply
post #2208 of 2640
We're just marking time until the 2009 thread appears with a better title.
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
Reply
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
Reply
post #2209 of 2640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elixir View Post

you're absolutely right.

either you think he's absolutely right or you don't. Why argue with him when you "absolutely agree"?

what was that you were saying about pertinent argument?
I don't see how an anti M$ stance can be seen as a bad thing on an Apple forum I really can't!

nagromme - According to Amazon: "SpongBob Typing Tutor" is outselling Windows
Reply
I don't see how an anti M$ stance can be seen as a bad thing on an Apple forum I really can't!

nagromme - According to Amazon: "SpongBob Typing Tutor" is outselling Windows
Reply
post #2210 of 2640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northgate View Post

Yeah. No shit. It appears there's been some heated discussions about uncompressed audio, the superiority of one console over the other, and downloads versus hard media.

Oroborous.

Although I have not been in this thread in a while you just opened up a point that I think about now and then. Whatever Sony was loosing on PS3 consoles they are making back in nickel, and dime downloadable content from the PS3 store. I probably have $200 worth of awesome PS3 downloads from that store. Some of the little games sony develops for $9.99 are totally addictive. And awesome at that. Personally I think that store is the killer app for that machine.
onlooker
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: parts unknown




http://www.apple.com/feedback/macpro.html
Reply
onlooker
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: parts unknown




http://www.apple.com/feedback/macpro.html
Reply
post #2211 of 2640
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlooker View Post

Although I have not been in this thread in a while you just opened up a point that I think about now and then. Whatever Sony was loosing on PS3 consoles they are making back in nickel, and dime downloadable content from the PS3 store. I probably have $200 worth of awesome PS3 downloads from that store. Some of the little games sony develops for $9.99 are totally addictive. And awesome at that. Personally I think that store is the killer app for that machine.

ah, you know, i'm not even gonna bother.

carry on.
post #2212 of 2640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elixir View Post

ah, you know, i'm not even gonna bother.

carry on.

Bravo!
post #2213 of 2640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elixir View Post

ah, you know, i'm not even gonna bother.

carry on.

I absolutely agree!
I don't see how an anti M$ stance can be seen as a bad thing on an Apple forum I really can't!

nagromme - According to Amazon: "SpongBob Typing Tutor" is outselling Windows
Reply
I don't see how an anti M$ stance can be seen as a bad thing on an Apple forum I really can't!

nagromme - According to Amazon: "SpongBob Typing Tutor" is outselling Windows
Reply
post #2214 of 2640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Slocombe View Post

I absolutely agree!

you know, it's just hard. it's like someone telling you guys "man, the dock in vista is soo cool, i can't believe they have that"

you just sit back and think to yourself "woah, are you serious.." and then probably jump in right?

well, i'm holding myself back for you guys
post #2215 of 2640
"Im not gonna bother"

"It's over"

"You're absolutely right"

"I promise in the event of BD players dropping to xxx price I WILL buy"

"Got it!"

anyone else remember any classic quotes from these threads?

thought a mid season re-cap might be nice, while we wait for the announcement that the iPhone will include a BD burner.
I don't see how an anti M$ stance can be seen as a bad thing on an Apple forum I really can't!

nagromme - According to Amazon: "SpongBob Typing Tutor" is outselling Windows
Reply
I don't see how an anti M$ stance can be seen as a bad thing on an Apple forum I really can't!

nagromme - According to Amazon: "SpongBob Typing Tutor" is outselling Windows
Reply
post #2216 of 2640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam'ron View Post

Your point makes no sense, games get bigger and better all the time. I remember $70 Nintendo and SNES games. Were those 9GB? Negative!

Does it really make no sense, or do you just disagree? Regardless, your response didn't address my point at all. My point was about development costs and maximizing the power of the PS3.

I personally would love it if a game with great gameplay and lossless/1080p audio/video was released. But it ain't gonna happen because Sony doesn't have the chops to make those games, and those who do have the skills (Take Two, Capcom, Bungie, EA, Ubisoft etc) will not do it because 1) they cant easily port it over to the 360 because of processing and size limits, 2) the development costs will be out of control, and 3) they know its not all about lossless audio and 1080p... its also about a creative storyline and engaging gameplay. They choose to spend their energy on those things instead. I agree with them 100%.
post #2217 of 2640
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg_nyc View Post

Does it really make no sense, or do you just disagree? Regardless, your response didn't address my point at all. My point was about development costs and maximizing the power of the PS3.

I personally would love it if a game with great gameplay and lossless/1080p audio/video was released. But it ain't gonna happen because Sony doesn't have the chops to make those games, and those who do have the skills (Take Two, Capcom, Bungie, EA, Ubisoft etc) will not do it because 1) they cant easily port it over to the 360 because of processing and size limits, 2) the development costs will be out of control, and 3) they know its not all about lossless audio and 1080p... its also about a creative storyline and engaging gameplay. They choose to spend their energy on those things instead. I agree with them 100%.

i agree with what you're saying about development costs but i think you need to catch up on your information regarding the PS3. the Cell is a b/tch to program for, and not only that but developers are having a hell of a time squeezing the same power out of the PS3 that they can easily attain with the 360. it has nothing to do with porting it over to the 360 because developers have stated it's easier to develop on the ps3 and then port to the 360 rather then the other way around, mainly due to the obnoxiousness of the Cell architecture.

it's pretty hard to make the argument at this point that developers and costs are the ones to blame for making piss poor games on the PS3 (or not taping into its untapped "power" of the ps3 hardware)

because you've had

-inferior cross platform games
-inferior exclusives
-top developers (like MGS4 head honcho) moaning about the complexities of the system
\
post #2218 of 2640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elixir View Post

because you've had

-inferior cross platform games

really? as opposed to what? the over lit unrealistic looking crap on the aging 360?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elixir View Post

-inferior exclusives

inferior to what? if they are exclusive what are you comparing them to ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elixir View Post

-top developers (like MGS4 head honcho) moaning about the complexities of the system
\

you can proved quotes I assume? because I'm sure its not hard to dig up quote of him saying the PS3 is great.

http://www.engadget.com/2008/06/10/m...g-at-xbox-360/

"get a grip" mmm?
I don't see how an anti M$ stance can be seen as a bad thing on an Apple forum I really can't!

nagromme - According to Amazon: "SpongBob Typing Tutor" is outselling Windows
Reply
I don't see how an anti M$ stance can be seen as a bad thing on an Apple forum I really can't!

nagromme - According to Amazon: "SpongBob Typing Tutor" is outselling Windows
Reply
post #2219 of 2640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Slocombe View Post

really? as opposed to what? the over lit unrealistic looking crap on the aging 360?



inferior to what? if they are exclusive what are you comparing them to ?



you can proved quotes I assume? because I'm sure its not hard to dig up quote of him saying the PS3 is great.

http://www.engadget.com/2008/06/10/m...g-at-xbox-360/

"get a grip" mmm?

i've posted here many times saying if you want to do your own research go ahead. this is the age of the internet, right? it would take you two seconds go to look at exclusives for both platforms and come out with the conlcusion that the 360's offerings are far superior. also, a quick look would also discover that cross platform games (games coming for both systems) are for the most part far superior on the 360. oh, and i don't even know what you're talking about "over lit unrealistic look of the aging 360" like huh? gears of war came out almost 2 years ago with that grey realistic look (arguably the best looking game still this gen) lol.

yes, switching disks (2 seconds) once or twice over the span of the entire game vs 1-2 minute load times between every scene + a mandatory 4gig install? geeh, what to choose, what to choose i love the sony camp.


here's your quote darling

Quote:
When we first showed the game engine at Tokyo Game Show, the staff were really proud and happy. PS3 was a dream machine, y'know, and we were going to work on this and that - we had so many ideas. But when we actually started developing the game, we realized there were a lot of restrictions and so it turned out how you see it today. The original vision was to go ten steps further, the reality was just one step, which isn't to say we didn't progress.

"I remember saying three years ago that we wanted to create something revolutionary, but in reality we couldn't really do that because of the CPU. We're using the Cell engine to its limit, actually. Please don't get me wrong, I'm not criticizing the PS3 machine, it's just that we weren't really aware of what the full-spec PS3 offered - we were creating something we couldn't entirely see."

after this came out, and after he probably got scorned by his studio heads and some sony execs he softened his position. yet, you can clearly see he has been wishy washy ever since- first saying this was his last MGS,then saying it wasn't, then saying it was coming to the 360, then saying it wasn't, then saying they needed to sell 1 million units on day 1 to break even, then saying no.

eh, i'm sure MGS turned out good enough for the fans.
post #2220 of 2640
basically "darling" he has done that same "My vision was for waaay more, but this is the best i could manage with the hardware" song and dance since he started the whole MGS thing 20 years ago.

there is rather a lot of stuff that seems to get misquoted and lost in translation from his native language, via a "journalist" and then via the editor, no doubt looking for something quotable, and finally the end reader, but now there is another layer, the twisting of his intent via blogs and blogers and people who reply to what the blogger said.

that all a pretty far stretch.

he is a guy that seems to be not too far removed from our very own Steve Jobs a bit of a perfectionist.

I'm sure steve thinks the iPhone is "the best ever" just as I'm sure he is in talks with whomever saying "how the heck do we make this twice as good?"

well if its the best ever then why aim higher?

thats been most peoples point about the capacity that BD gives (50GB) over DVD (9GB) one can aim higher, and improve.

your mantra seems to be that of microsoft, one of "good enough" you seem to be lacking in the vision that the rest of us, while we might not be able to see yet, actually believe to be a good idea to have potential access to.

oh yeah, and I remember reading him say that MGS2 (on PS1) was the last MGS game, he said it was the best he had done and could do no better, but then the PS2 was on the scene and MGS3 was also the "last" MGS game he was going to do, lo and behold MGS4 is the last game as well.

but if you actually do some UNBIASED searching you can find him quoted, as he was quoted after MGS3, saying (and i paraphrase here) "its my last game with snake, but in the future theres nothing to stop my staff from producing a MGS game"

Which then turned, a few days later, to "IF I do another [MGS] game I will take more of a back seat"

but as you say, its not up to me to provide you with links, but if you want to keep your blinkered view, maybe you should keep it to yourself??
I don't see how an anti M$ stance can be seen as a bad thing on an Apple forum I really can't!

nagromme - According to Amazon: "SpongBob Typing Tutor" is outselling Windows
Reply
I don't see how an anti M$ stance can be seen as a bad thing on an Apple forum I really can't!

nagromme - According to Amazon: "SpongBob Typing Tutor" is outselling Windows
Reply
post #2221 of 2640
For freaks sake...

It's the same comment over and over.

Elixir, you keep saying the same stuff over and over. It's not making anyone think otherwise, yet you keep saying the same stuff. You're not accomplishing anything, just let it go.
post #2222 of 2640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishyesque View Post

For freaks sake...

It's the same comment over and over.

Elixir, you keep saying the same stuff over and over. It's not making anyone think otherwise, yet you keep saying the same stuff. You're not accomplishing anything, just let it go.

i'm replying to other peoples comments. if they want to make false claims i will propose a challenge, it is all.

a lot earlier in this thread people were claiming true HD was only had on the ps3 and that the ps3's games were in 1080p, which is absolutely false. now, we don't see things like that do we? soon enough people will have realized the whole "bluray is needed for gaming" was utter crap spewing out of sony's mouth in order to increase bluray adoption. ironic you're telling me i'm repeating something in a thread that has been arguing the same points for the last 2 years.

edit: and walter i don't know why you spent an entire post on the wishy washy attitude of MGS's developer when i already stated he is like that. odd, but ok.
post #2223 of 2640
Look guys, this thread isn't about gaming. You're all losers. It doesn't matter if you're on an Xbox or a PS3.
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
Reply
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
Reply
post #2224 of 2640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elixir View Post

i agree with what you're saying about development costs but i think you need to catch up on your information regarding the PS3.

I will defer... Thanks.
post #2225 of 2640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elixir View Post

i'm replying to other peoples comments. if they want to make false claims i will propose a challenge, it is all.

a lot earlier in this thread people were claiming true HD was only had on the ps3 and that the ps3's games were in 1080p, which is absolutely false. now, we don't see things like that do we? soon enough people will have realized the whole "bluray is needed for gaming" was utter crap spewing out of sony's mouth in order to increase bluray adoption. ironic you're telling me i'm repeating something in a thread that has been arguing the same points for the last 2 years.

edit: and walter i don't know why you spent an entire post on the wishy washy attitude of MGS's developer when i already stated he is like that. odd, but ok.

you are one trollistic minded IQ depleted specimen arnt you?

equally I dont know why YOU bother either, but there we are, from the guy who was FINNISHED many pages back.

show me who was making these claims for BD being "true HD" I seen a lot of talk about 1080P being "true" but not BD, I know *I* certainly never made such a remark, barring of course the possibility of a sarcastic remark that I might have forgotten about, but even THAT is doubtful.

basically BACK IT UP with something other than your opinion.
I don't see how an anti M$ stance can be seen as a bad thing on an Apple forum I really can't!

nagromme - According to Amazon: "SpongBob Typing Tutor" is outselling Windows
Reply
I don't see how an anti M$ stance can be seen as a bad thing on an Apple forum I really can't!

nagromme - According to Amazon: "SpongBob Typing Tutor" is outselling Windows
Reply
post #2226 of 2640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

Look guys, this thread isn't about gaming. You're all losers. It doesn't matter if you're on an Xbox or a PS3.

WOW, at last Frank, something we can agree on

--

I still havent gotten round to ordering any movies off aTV, I just dont have the time at the moment, but I did mooch about on iTunes and discovered that there seems to be no HiDef movies available in the store which irks me a little, i guess i'll have to switch on my aTV and check after all.

when, is an entirely different matter!
I don't see how an anti M$ stance can be seen as a bad thing on an Apple forum I really can't!

nagromme - According to Amazon: "SpongBob Typing Tutor" is outselling Windows
Reply
I don't see how an anti M$ stance can be seen as a bad thing on an Apple forum I really can't!

nagromme - According to Amazon: "SpongBob Typing Tutor" is outselling Windows
Reply
post #2227 of 2640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Slocombe View Post

you are one trollistic minded IQ depleted specimen arnt you?

equally I dont know why YOU bother either, but there we are, from the guy who was FINNISHED many pages back.

show me who was making these claims for BD being "true HD" I seen a lot of talk about 1080P being "true" but not BD, I know *I* certainly never made such a remark, barring of course the possibility of a sarcastic remark that I might have forgotten about, but even THAT is doubtful.

basically BACK IT UP with something other than your opinion.

once again with the personal insults.

sony claimed it, that is whom i was referring to and then it was brought up in here a good while ago. you make personal insults and then expect me to go digging old quotes for you... which i always pull through with anyways. funny. an opinion void of anything solid is the one i replied to.

he states that the ps3 is being held back by the 360 but there is no evidence of that. on the contrary you see exclusives and cross platform games being far superior on the other console, so where does the reasoning come from? it isn't so much the development costs (it does play a factor) as it is the complexities of the Cell and the desire to fill up a BD disk (at the push of sony) with endless extra content.

if you weren't such a M$ hating apple sheep you'd be able to comprehend a little better. you see the word microsoft and automatically dismiss everything.

you prob don't even own a ps3 nor a bluray player lol
post #2228 of 2640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Slocombe View Post

WOW, at last Frank, something we can agree on

--

I still havent gotten round to ordering any movies off aTV, I just dont have the time at the moment, but I did mooch about on iTunes and discovered that there seems to be no HiDef movies available in the store which irks me a little, i guess i'll have to switch on my aTV and check after all.

when, is an entirely different matter!

Are you Canadian as well? I noticed zero HD movies or rentals at all on iTunes. Why is this?
post #2229 of 2640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

We're just marking time until the 2009 thread appears with a better title.

Just start a thread that includes Blu-Ray, evolution, multi-touch, Bush or "sub-$2,000" Mac in the title and you're golden.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #2230 of 2640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elixir View Post

once again with the personal insults.

sony claimed it, that is whom i was referring to and then it was brought up in here a good while ago. you make personal insults and then expect me to go digging old quotes for you... which i always pull through with anyways. funny. an opinion void of anything solid is the one i replied to.

he states that the ps3 is being held back by the 360 but there is no evidence of that. on the contrary you see exclusives and cross platform games being far superior on the other console, so where does the reasoning come from? it isn't so much the development costs (it does play a factor) as it is the complexities of the Cell and the desire to fill up a BD disk (at the push of sony) with endless extra content.

if you weren't such a M$ hating apple sheep you'd be able to comprehend a little better. you see the word microsoft and automatically dismiss everything.

you prob don't even own a ps3 nor a bluray player lol

now your making even less sense, oh well, theres always the ignore button i guess
I don't see how an anti M$ stance can be seen as a bad thing on an Apple forum I really can't!

nagromme - According to Amazon: "SpongBob Typing Tutor" is outselling Windows
Reply
I don't see how an anti M$ stance can be seen as a bad thing on an Apple forum I really can't!

nagromme - According to Amazon: "SpongBob Typing Tutor" is outselling Windows
Reply
post #2231 of 2640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Slocombe View Post

now your making even less sense, oh well, theres always the ignore button i guess

What you are supposed to do is reply to others, such as myself, when we have questions and add new info on Blu-Ray. But, most importantly STOP RESPONDING TO HIM!
post #2232 of 2640
As long as no one mentions anything PS3 related, he won't talk.

On that note, those of you with PS3s should PM me, if you have MGS4. I just.. want to freak out about it.
And THAT being said, you should check out the new IGN review. The conclusion/second opinion to be precise.

Cheers
post #2233 of 2640
Awesome. This thread is approaching some kind of platonic ideal of internet discussion-- the original contention long gone, it's becoming entirely about itself, pure and unsullied by the world.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
post #2234 of 2640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam'ron View Post

What you are supposed to do is reply to others, such as myself, when we have questions and add new info on Blu-Ray. But, most importantly STOP RESPONDING TO HIM!

mm, exactly my own advice earlier in the thread.

Ironic that I've just read the following news

Quote:
During the month of May, SCEA sold 22,106 units in the US over its primary competitor, Microsoft. The PlayStation 3 sold a total of 208,709 units while the 360 moved a lesser 186,603 units.

Which means we have gotten to the stage where the US is catching up to the rest of the world.

I fully realise this is one month, but then it was "only" one month when this started happening in other parts of the world as well, but now its just a fact, the PS3 is outselling the 360 every month. its only a matter of time before the install base matches and then exceeds.

--

I managed to update my aTV but it seems to be over heating and shutting down, a fact im not happy about (really?) and ive got a few weeks before its 1 year old, so I think I'm gonna have to contact Apple.

Like the new interface despite worrying that I wouldnt, think the selection is fairly broad and "fun" the real question is however am I willing to part with the money for a rental? at the equivalent of $5 for the SD rental, you tell me?

I WOULD have been interested in seeing Vincent Price in "The Fly" as its been a while since I've seen it, except that I managed to record it off the TV about a week ago!!
shouts of PRICE TOO HIGH..??

There was a lot of shouting about MP3s and then the Apple stores, per song pricing, devaluing music. its odd how we put a one off value on music and then assume it to be there "forever" but movies are a slightly different proposition so the studios would have us believe, yet the reality for a lot of us is that (FEW) older movies have any real value once we have seen them. we have seen the story and "know how it ends" while with music we want to hear the start again, I guess this is likely a lot to do with the old adage about radio "the pictures are better"
I don't see how an anti M$ stance can be seen as a bad thing on an Apple forum I really can't!

nagromme - According to Amazon: "SpongBob Typing Tutor" is outselling Windows
Reply
I don't see how an anti M$ stance can be seen as a bad thing on an Apple forum I really can't!

nagromme - According to Amazon: "SpongBob Typing Tutor" is outselling Windows
Reply
post #2235 of 2640
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg_nyc View Post

Sorry for commenting to an older post, but I thought it was a very interesting observation.

M$FT beat Sony to the punch big-time with the 360. They set the barometer on how much time, energy and money would go into a next-gen game. They set the price, and thereby set the development budget per game. Studios that make both PS3 and 360 games will never spend more time or money taking advantage of the 50GB of space when they can't sell their game for any more than the 360 version which is selling for 59.99. Its simple marketing.

So Sony can only expect to see a noticeable difference on those games that are exclusive to PS3, which of course can not be compared to a 360 version of the same game. And even if Sony did set the trend, how many would be ok with paying 89.99 (or more) for a game with 1080p video throughout, lossless TrueHD audio, and 'just ok' gameplay?

I think M$FT outplayed Sony in this round. But that doesnt mean that consumers are losers when it comes to gaming. I think XBOX has released incredible games, and PS3 is giving me my blu-ray fix, along with MSG4. I can't complain!


Yet MGS4 takes all the 50GB dislk, and Kojima says it's not enough room.


Quote:
http://kotaku.com/362807/kojima-says...e-enough-space
Kojima: For us, we're not still not satisfied with the quality we can do. You know, there's not capacity space.
Interviewer: Wait, wait a sec. Saying there's not enough capacity, are you talking about Blu-ray?

Kojima: That's correct. There's not enough space at all. (laughs) ...There's not enough space. We always talked about where to cut and what to compress.
onlooker
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: parts unknown




http://www.apple.com/feedback/macpro.html
Reply
onlooker
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: parts unknown




http://www.apple.com/feedback/macpro.html
Reply
post #2236 of 2640
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

awesome. This Thread Is Approaching Some Kind Of Platonic Ideal Of Internet Discussion-- The Original Contention Long Gone, It's Becoming Entirely About Itself, Pure And Unsullied By The World.

The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
Reply
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
Reply
post #2237 of 2640
WOW! MGS4 is much bigger, longer, and better than I had even imagined. I started playing yesterday and I have about 15 hours into the game, and I'm still in the first chapter of 5. It's pretty intense.
onlooker
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: parts unknown




http://www.apple.com/feedback/macpro.html
Reply
onlooker
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: parts unknown




http://www.apple.com/feedback/macpro.html
Reply
post #2238 of 2640
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlooker View Post

WOW! MGS4 is much bigger, longer, and better than I had even imagined. I started playing yesterday and I have about 15 hours into the game, and I'm still in the first chapter of 5. It's pretty intense.

Yeah. The great thing about this game, is you still want to play it again as soon as you've beaten it. I beat it last night and can't WAIT to play it again!
It's truly amazing, and it's... better than I could have imagined.

Enjoy.

post #2239 of 2640
Guys! Guys! Stop this!

Can't you all see that this 2 year old obsolete hardware thread is tearing us APART?!

...


... Carry on.
post #2240 of 2640
only ordered it on friday, should be fun

"what was that noise"
I don't see how an anti M$ stance can be seen as a bad thing on an Apple forum I really can't!

nagromme - According to Amazon: "SpongBob Typing Tutor" is outselling Windows
Reply
I don't see how an anti M$ stance can be seen as a bad thing on an Apple forum I really can't!

nagromme - According to Amazon: "SpongBob Typing Tutor" is outselling Windows
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Blu-ray vs. HD DVD (2008)