or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Blu-ray vs. HD DVD (2008)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Blu-ray vs. HD DVD (2008) - Page 57

post #2241 of 2640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Slocombe View Post

only ordered it on friday, should be fun

"what was that noise"

Hahahahaha
post #2242 of 2640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishyesque View Post

Yeah. The great thing about this game, is you still want to play it again as soon as you've beaten it. I beat it last night and can't WAIT to play it again!
It's truly amazing, and it's... better than I could have imagined.

Enjoy.


I know it's so fun. I'm not using any guides or outside informations and some of the throughways are hard to find. I'm doing more killing, and hiding bodies than sneaking, but the one source that actually did mention something to me about it said was there is a lot of sneaking. And then I stoped him. I was like SHUT UP!
onlooker
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: parts unknown




http://www.apple.com/feedback/macpro.html
Reply
onlooker
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: parts unknown




http://www.apple.com/feedback/macpro.html
Reply
post #2243 of 2640
Haha yeah.

I was pleased, I was able to get through the first playthrough with out killing anyone.

Get this though, to get the highest emblem you have to

Get 0 kills
0 continues
use 0 rations or noodles or things like that
0 uses of octocamo
0 alert phases

And complete the game in under FIVE HOURS.
post #2244 of 2640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishyesque View Post

Haha yeah.

I was pleased, I was able to get through the first playthrough with out killing anyone.

Get this though, to get the highest emblem you have to

Get 0 kills
0 continues
use 0 rations or noodles or things like that
0 uses of octocamo
0 alert phases

And complete the game in under FIVE HOURS.

You can actually do that? What do you get for doing it?
onlooker
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: parts unknown




http://www.apple.com/feedback/macpro.html
Reply
onlooker
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: parts unknown




http://www.apple.com/feedback/macpro.html
Reply
post #2245 of 2640
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlooker View Post

You can actually do that? What do you get for doing it?

You get a really sweet gun, you'd recognize it, I think.

Either way, just knowing that you did that would be reward enough!
post #2246 of 2640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishyesque View Post

You get a really sweet gun, you'd recognize it, I think.

Either way, just knowing that you did that would be reward enough!

I'm like 18 hours playtime right now, and I've killed hundreds of dudes. I might have to play it a few times before I try for that accomplishment. I do like that are different paths, and strategies available in the game though. Makes for great re-playability.
onlooker
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: parts unknown




http://www.apple.com/feedback/macpro.html
Reply
onlooker
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: parts unknown




http://www.apple.com/feedback/macpro.html
Reply
post #2247 of 2640
Can we get this thread back on topic and change it's title to when the hell will Apple put BR-drives in their computers!?

I have about 2TB of HD movie footage compressed down to fit onto a DVD, all edited on iMovieHD...Hear that Apple...HD! Why release HD editing software and then not provide a means to get it onto a consumer disc???

Actually MGS4 is vaguely Apple related as Snake has a very cool iPod.
post #2248 of 2640
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlooker View Post

I'm like 18 hours playtime right now, and I've killed hundreds of dudes. I might have to play it a few times before I try for that accomplishment. I do like that are different paths, and strategies available in the game though. Makes for great re-playability.

Awesome! And yeah, I'm on my second playthrough, with ideas for my fourth and fifth! I even have no desire to skip the cutscenes even though I've seen them. So awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by womblingfree View Post

Actually MGS4 is vaguely Apple related as Snake has a very cool iPod.

And the fact that Otacon uses an iMac and a MacBook Pro.

post #2249 of 2640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishyesque View Post

Haha yeah.

I was pleased, I was able to get through the first playthrough with out killing anyone.

Get this though, to get the highest emblem you have to

Get 0 kills
0 continues
use 0 rations or noodles or things like that
0 uses of octocamo
0 alert phases

And complete the game in under FIVE HOURS.


!!!!!

not humanly possible!!!

"snakily possible" I'm sure, but no human could do that.

please dont make me cry by posting stuff like that
I don't see how an anti M$ stance can be seen as a bad thing on an Apple forum I really can't!

nagromme - According to Amazon: "SpongBob Typing Tutor" is outselling Windows
Reply
I don't see how an anti M$ stance can be seen as a bad thing on an Apple forum I really can't!

nagromme - According to Amazon: "SpongBob Typing Tutor" is outselling Windows
Reply
post #2250 of 2640
Quote:
Originally Posted by womblingfree View Post

..... when the hell will Apple put BR-drives in their computers!?

I have about 2TB of .. movie footage compressed....... .....provide a means to get it onto a consumer disc???

Actually MGS4 is vaguely Apple related as Snake has a very cool iPod.

Agreed!
I don't see how an anti M$ stance can be seen as a bad thing on an Apple forum I really can't!

nagromme - According to Amazon: "SpongBob Typing Tutor" is outselling Windows
Reply
I don't see how an anti M$ stance can be seen as a bad thing on an Apple forum I really can't!

nagromme - According to Amazon: "SpongBob Typing Tutor" is outselling Windows
Reply
post #2251 of 2640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Slocombe View Post

!!!!!

not humanly possible!!!

"snakily possible" I'm sure, but no human could do that.

please dont make me cry by posting stuff like that

I agree. I don't think you can complete the game in under 5 hours. Not without killing anyone. Who could resist not killing those monster babe bosses. They go down! No pun intended. \
onlooker
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: parts unknown




http://www.apple.com/feedback/macpro.html
Reply
onlooker
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: parts unknown




http://www.apple.com/feedback/macpro.html
Reply
post #2252 of 2640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Slocombe View Post



Which means we have gotten to the stage where the US is catching up to the rest of the world.

I fully realise this is one month, but then it was "only" one month when this started happening in other parts of the world as well, but now its just a fact, the PS3 is outselling the 360 every month. its only a matter of time before the install base matches and then exceeds.

--

I

does it mean that Walter? matter of time? at this rate you're looking at 15+ years. edging out the 360 for i believe the 3rd month in its entire existence when you're biggest title is coming out isn't exactly something to glamour about. Whats going to happen during winter (where 75% of the years sales occur) when the 360's heavy hitters start to arrive? we'll see the difference in numbers then wont we.

i'm sure the ps3 will have done well this month as well, considering the insane bundle they came up with packing MGS4 and the dual shock into one package. I wonder if they did that to please konomi and assure a decent sales figure for MGS4 cuz you damn well know if the figures weren't up to snuff a port would be quickly rushed to the 360.... considering software rates are crushing on the xbox.
post #2253 of 2640
Ahhh, how's it going, bud?

For what it's worth, PS3 hardware sales have outsold 360 hardware sales in Europe.

Despite launching over a year after the Xbox 360 did in Europe, PS3 sales stand at 5,450,869 while Xbox 360 sales in Europe stand at 5,415,053 units in Europe.
post #2254 of 2640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishyesque View Post

Ahhh, how's it going, bud?

For what it's worth, PS3 hardware sales have outsold 360 hardware sales in Europe.

Despite launching over a year after the Xbox 360 did in Europe, PS3 sales stand at 5,450,869 while Xbox 360 sales in Europe stand at 5,415,053 units in Europe.

there isn't much unification when it comes to european numbers so all of it is speculation. though, i'm sure it's not very far off the mark. why all this chitter chatter about releasing first? didn't the ps2 release before the xbox? you're just using basic "spin".

how about my spin: the european market has always been playstations number 1 market and considering that don't you think those numbers are a bit disappointing? the 360 kills it in the UK and NA. PS3 barely edges it out in europe and smokes it in japan.

PS3 software rates are miniscule compared to the 360. what does this mean? the ps3 is the only viable bluray player at the moment.
post #2255 of 2640
Hey onlooker, how far are you?
post #2256 of 2640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elixir View Post

there isn't much unification when it comes to european numbers so all of it is speculation. though, i'm sure it's not very far off the mark. why all this chitter chatter about releasing first? didn't the ps2 release before the xbox? you're just using basic "spin".

If I have a year head start but you catch up it means that either

a) I suck hard
b) You're better
c) Both

The rate is what? 2-1 for Europe?

In the US for 2008 the PS3 beat the XBox in Jan, Feb and May and tied in March and April. June will likely see the PS3 win again due to MGS. That's a trend and not a happy one for the XBox. On the other hand parity suits MS just fine this generation given everyone expected a blowout.

As far as software attach rates while the XBox beat the PS3 in total volume on GTA4 I believe that the attach rate for the PS3 was 6% higher. And sure...BluRay helps. If I get a PS3 it will be because of two reasons:

1) I have Mass Effect on the PC
2) Blu-Ray

Okay 2.5 reasons: Not too keen on the RROD and the build quality on the PS3 is awesome.
post #2257 of 2640
Elixir says:

"That doesn't matter, the software rates for the PS3 are terrible.

And I see something missing from your list of reasons? Games. There aren't any good games out for the PS3, it's only a decent Blu-ray player, nothing more."
post #2258 of 2640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishyesque View Post

Elixir says:

"That doesn't matter, the software rates for the PS3 are terrible.

And I see something missing from your list of reasons? Games. There aren't any good games out for the PS3, it's only a decent Blu-ray player, nothing more."

But that's the point of my argument. as a gaming machine the ps3 is mediocre. i'm not arguing that it isn't a decent bluray player am i? thats because sony refuses to allow any other manufacturer to release a cheaper player.

what vinea doesn't understand is that sony is barely edging out the 360 during the slowest months of the year. what's going to happen during the big months? we'll see wont we. again, his argument is "well if 360 got a head start and the ps3 is catching up it means the 360 sucks" even though if you do the math at the rate the ps3 is edging the 360 (not counting the big months) it would take sony something like 20 years to surpass the 360. lol

so, how does that translate to the 360 sucking? it doesn't. all it says is sony got a slight (very slight) edge when HD-DVD dropped out, and another edge when their biggest title to date (a solid 2.5 years into the life span of the console) was finally released.

but we'll go round and round wont we? lets keep bringing up RROD that doesn't even effect the new consoles....
post #2259 of 2640
What are you talking about? Who said anything about RROD?
And it still affects new consoles, obviously just not as much. That or the people I've talked to lied.
I still think built in wifi should be included in the 360.
And what's this about Sony not allowing manufacturers to release cheaper Blu-ray players? Bull. First off, there already ARE cheaper Blu-ray players available.

Secondly, onlooker, have you seen anything about LBP?
I freaking can't wait for that game.
post #2260 of 2640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishyesque View Post

What are you talking about? Who said anything about RROD?

I did. It's one reason I punted on the 360.

Quote:
And it still affects new consoles, obviously just not as much. That or the people I've talked to lied.

The defect rate among Falcon models is reported to still be around 10%.
post #2261 of 2640
Ahh, thanks for clearing that up.
post #2262 of 2640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishyesque View Post

What are you talking about? Who said anything about RROD?
And it still affects new consoles, obviously just not as much. That or the people I've talked to lied.
I still think built in wifi should be included in the 360.
And what's this about Sony not allowing manufacturers to release cheaper Blu-ray players? Bull. First off, there already ARE cheaper Blu-ray players available.

Secondly, onlooker, have you seen anything about LBP?
I freaking can't wait for that game.

the new units are within industry standards now. it doesn't mean it may never fail on you, just means it will fail as likely as your ps3 or wii would.

why should the 360 have built in wifi? do you online game a lot? online gaming should never be done through wifi unless absolutely necessary.

show me some decent blu-ray players going for less than the ps3.
post #2263 of 2640
You didn't say 'decent' Blu-ray players, you said Blu-ray players in general.
http://www.google.com/products/catal...um=2&ct=result
Like that, for example.
And yes, I do online game a lot, all through wifi. What's your point? Are you trying to say that it ruins the experience? Nope. I rarely, rarely have lag issues. Everything is smooth through wifi.
post #2264 of 2640
http://blogs.consumerreports.org/ele...ve-of-mid.html

One even under $300.

Where on earth did you read that Sony was holding back manufacturers?
And where do you get the data that shows that the newer 360s have the same failure rate as the Wii and PS3?
post #2265 of 2640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishyesque View Post

http://blogs.consumerreports.org/ele...ve-of-mid.html

One even under $300.

Where on earth did you read that Sony was holding back manufacturers?
And where do you get the data that shows that the newer 360s have the same failure rate as the Wii and PS3?

well, i meant to say decent blu-ray player, not some shoddy piece of crap. wifi isn't needed for gaming, and it isn't recommended for gaming so why would a majority want to pay for a feature they wont use nor need?

if you need wifi because you must have it then you buy it separate. i don't care if you think you get no lag, wifi isn't as good as a hard line connection.
post #2266 of 2640
Do you even talk to 360 owners? All the 360 owners I know and talk to have had to buy the $100 wifi add on. Why wouldn't wifi be useful? Not EVERYONE can be close to their modem. Some people have more than 1 floor in their house. EVERY 360 owner I know wants wifi. Of course it isn't as good as a hard line connection, but it is good enough that you don't notice a difference.

I don't think, I know.

Wifi is something is more than something people need sometimes, it's what people want. Do you really think everyone who has a console has it close to the modem?

Go learn what people actually want for a change.

And that Blu-ray player isn't a 'shoddy piece of crap.'

It's so funny that you're unlike most gamers out there, and act like everyone else thinks the same way as you.

Have you come across someone by the username of 'i have to pee'?

You guys would make good friends.
post #2267 of 2640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishyesque View Post

Do you even talk to 360 owners? All the 360 owners I know and talk to have had to buy the $100 wifi add on. Why wouldn't wifi be useful? Not EVERYONE can be close to their modem. Some people have more than 1 floor in their house. EVERY 360 owner I know wants wifi. Of course it isn't as good as a hard line connection, but it is good enough that you don't notice a difference.

I don't think, I know.

Wifi is something is more than something people need sometimes, it's what people want. Do you really think everyone who has a console has it close to the modem?

Go learn what people actually want for a change.

And that Blu-ray player isn't a 'shoddy piece of crap.'

It's so funny that you're unlike most gamers out there, and act like everyone else thinks the same way as you.

Have you come across someone by the username of 'i have to pee'?

You guys would make good friends.

ok, this is why we get off on a bad foot in here. all i do is play online games on my 360 and the main complaint (which is the main complaint in most online games) is lag and bad connections. why on earth would the majority of people online want to deal with more bad connections due to wifi?

just because the few people you know with 360's want wifi does not mean the majority of owners do, and thats a lot of owners (17 million).

including wifi means adding the price to the console upfront and i do not want to pay for wifi i dont need upfront. if you cant get the modem by your console then you go and get wifi.

anyone playing games online should attempt as hard as possible to hard line their xbox 360 for the most optimal experience. you clearly don't know what you're talking about but after all your online experience consists of one of the worst services out there = \\
post #2268 of 2640
Hahahahahahaha


Ok sweetie, you think that.

<3
post #2269 of 2640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishyesque View Post

Hahahahahahaha


Ok sweetie, you think that.

<3

i will think that. you have no data to back up your claim that people want wifi for gaming.

i'll make an assumption and say you were never an avid PC gamer and therefore cant understand why any online gamer wouldn't want wifi. gamers that primarily play online want the most optimal experience possible, going wifi is counter productive in that regard.
post #2270 of 2640
Way to make a 'shoddy' assumption.

<3<3<3

You're too precious.

post #2271 of 2640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishyesque View Post

Way to make a 'shoddy' assumption.

<3<3<3

You're too precious.


sure, i mean what online gamer would want to sacrifice connection quality for wifi? unless your a casual player and wifi is an absolute must i don't see the benefits. considering most computers come with wifi already there isn't much of a requirement to have multiple computers hard lined.
post #2272 of 2640
Awww, you're so adorable.
post #2273 of 2640
Hey Elixir, what's your top 5 favorite single player games?

Oh, and how is there not a gaming thread in this place?
post #2274 of 2640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elixir View Post

i will think that. you have no data to back up your claim that people want wifi for gaming.

i'll make an assumption and say you were never an avid PC gamer and therefore cant understand why any online gamer wouldn't want wifi. gamers that primarily play online want the most optimal experience possible, going wifi is counter productive in that regard.

I do, so STFU!
post #2275 of 2640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elixir View Post

ok, this is why we get off on a bad foot in here. all i do is play online games on my 360 and the main complaint (which is the main complaint in most online games) is lag and bad connections. why on earth would the majority of people online want to deal with more bad connections due to wifi?

Because lag isn't happening across your wifi but somewhere on the internet? My ping times and sustained data rates to the wireless router greatly exceed anything that happens AFTER my router.

On the other hand, I do not have CAT6 running to my gaming TV. Nor am I about to drill any holes, fish any wires or lay any conduit to do so.

Quote:
anyone playing games online should attempt as hard as possible to hard line their xbox 360 for the most optimal experience. you clearly don't know what you're talking about but after all your online experience consists of one of the worst services out there =

Unless you have a significant signal strength issue the odds are that the packet drops and latency between you and your wireless endpoint is not the limiting factor for online gaming. Yes, you might see a bad lag burst now and again if there's some kind of RF interference but it's probably your cable modem or even FIOS that's the LOCAL limit with the number of hops between you and the server being the REAL determination of lag.
post #2276 of 2640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elixir View Post

i will think that. you have no data to back up your claim that people want wifi for gaming.

i'll make an assumption and say you were never an avid PC gamer and therefore cant understand why any online gamer wouldn't want wifi. gamers that primarily play online want the most optimal experience possible, going wifi is counter productive in that regard.

I don't use the wifi for my PS3 because of the fact that I know a hardline is always going to have a sustained maximum speed. I play a lot of warhawk, and I've never had any online issues. I know IRL the #1 support gunner in Call of Duty 3 (out of how many thousands of people) and he doesn't have any issues. Hardwired also.
onlooker
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: parts unknown




http://www.apple.com/feedback/macpro.html
Reply
onlooker
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: parts unknown




http://www.apple.com/feedback/macpro.html
Reply
post #2277 of 2640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishyesque View Post

Hey Elixir, what's your top 5 favorite single player games?

Oh, and how is there not a gaming thread in this place?

single player? hmm, thats tough. i'd have to think about it.

i'm mainly a multiplayer person.
post #2278 of 2640
Ah. Do you have any classic games you love? As in, the days before online play?
post #2279 of 2640
and you guys would still deny that Blu-ray is a PS3 format?

I guess it really doesn't matter to Sony but, it is still hard to tell whether PS3 is saving blu-ray or the blu-ray saving PS3.

BTW, last weekend I was lucky to find wii fit from local BB and my wife uses it now. It's pretty cool toy with lots of free games. I really need to make plans for a new game room.
always a newbie
Reply
always a newbie
Reply
post #2280 of 2640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elixir View Post

i don't care if you think you get no lag, wifi isn't as good as a hard line connection.

Errr... WTF? This sentence's logic seems to implode to me. If I think I get no lag then I've got no lag. If I have a wifi connection and get no lag, that's better than a hard line connection that also gets no lag.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Blu-ray vs. HD DVD (2008)