or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Blu-ray vs. HD DVD (2008)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Blu-ray vs. HD DVD (2008) - Page 60

post #2361 of 2640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carniphage View Post

We saw GT4 delayed because the PS3 version was trailing the 360 version by 6 months.

GT4? when was Gran Turismo 4 EVER going to come out for the xbox, it's a PS2 game anyway. please TRY and get your facts straight.
I don't see how an anti M$ stance can be seen as a bad thing on an Apple forum I really can't!

nagromme - According to Amazon: "SpongBob Typing Tutor" is outselling Windows
Reply
I don't see how an anti M$ stance can be seen as a bad thing on an Apple forum I really can't!

nagromme - According to Amazon: "SpongBob Typing Tutor" is outselling Windows
Reply
post #2362 of 2640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elixir View Post

Careful, people here don't like to learn the truth about their $600 investment.

I know your dollar is sh1t at the moment, but really ps3s STILL cost that much? or is disinformation just where you live?
I don't see how an anti M$ stance can be seen as a bad thing on an Apple forum I really can't!

nagromme - According to Amazon: "SpongBob Typing Tutor" is outselling Windows
Reply
I don't see how an anti M$ stance can be seen as a bad thing on an Apple forum I really can't!

nagromme - According to Amazon: "SpongBob Typing Tutor" is outselling Windows
Reply
post #2363 of 2640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Slocombe View Post

GT4? when was Gran Turismo 4 EVER going to come out for the xbox, it's a PS2 game anyway. please TRY and get your facts straight.

I believe he meant GTA4 aka Grand THEFT AUTO 4. This appears to be more of laziness porting over games because the guys at Naughty Dog know how to make a great PS3 game (exclusive).
post #2364 of 2640
Parallel programming is a new paradigm for mainstream developers which is why there has been some struggle to adjust here. However, multi core processing such as the PS3's IBM cell design are the future and it is here to stay.

Intel recently made a statement to this effect, that developers need to start considering how their design scales to hundreds or thousands of cores not just quad or octa cores in the very near future. Intel and AMD have been saying for several years now that the free performance gained from just ramping up the clock on a single core design has ended.

So IMO the argument that this design is costly in terms of development and will fall away is a moot point. It is the way performance is going to be scaling now according to all of the major CPU vendors. So software development is going to be forced to embrace the parallel paradigm.
post #2365 of 2640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Slocombe View Post

I know your dollar is sh1t at the moment, but really ps3s STILL cost that much? or is disinformation just where you live?

I'm talking about the people that bought it in the first few months. I know they are losing mad money on the console and trying to push it by bundling it with games and stuff but it's still expensive.
post #2366 of 2640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elixir View Post

I'm talking about the people that bought it in the first few months. I know they are losing mad money on the console and trying to push it by bundling it with games and stuff but it's still expensive.

so you would still "promote" the iPhone as a $599 device.
I don't see how an anti M$ stance can be seen as a bad thing on an Apple forum I really can't!

nagromme - According to Amazon: "SpongBob Typing Tutor" is outselling Windows
Reply
I don't see how an anti M$ stance can be seen as a bad thing on an Apple forum I really can't!

nagromme - According to Amazon: "SpongBob Typing Tutor" is outselling Windows
Reply
post #2367 of 2640
Amid all this madness, anyone else excited for Mirror's Edge? I don't see how anyone could NOT be!
post #2368 of 2640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishyesque View Post

Amid all this madness, anyone else excited for Mirror's Edge? I don't see how anyone could NOT be!

I'm not. I looked at the video at game-trailers, and I wasn't all that enthusiastic about it. It had a cool running thing, but without a plot, objectives and many other features it seems somewhat one dimensional and boring.
onlooker
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: parts unknown




http://www.apple.com/feedback/macpro.html
Reply
onlooker
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: parts unknown




http://www.apple.com/feedback/macpro.html
Reply
post #2369 of 2640
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlooker View Post

Your both diluted.

Why do you insist that countless reports, echoes from industry insiders, and many developers from AAA studios are lying? or manipulating the truth? Seriously, get a grip. The cell is a b/tch, it's been a b/tch since people got their hands on PS3 dev kits. Sony has never made their platform developer friendly but they were the dominate console last gen but that isn't the case anymore. Studios are questioning the return for their investment into developing for the PS3.

Case in point- Uncharted by the studio someone in here mentioned, Naughty Dog. They sunk a good chunk of money into that game which came out pretty decent but only turned a slight profit for the studio which umm i believe is owned by Sony.
post #2370 of 2640
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlooker View Post

I'm not. I looked at the video at game-trailers, and I wasn't all that enthusiastic about it. It had a cool running thing, but without a plot, objectives and many other features it seems somewhat one dimensional and boring.

What makes you think it wouldn't have a plot or objectives or anything?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elixir View Post

*sigh*

If you would stop over exaggerating things, maybe people would actually listen to you?
post #2371 of 2640
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/topstor...9520-20634547/

Wait, I didn't think this was as widespread an issue anymore.
post #2372 of 2640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elixir View Post

Why do you insist that countless reports, echoes from industry insiders, and many developers from AAA studios are lying? or manipulating the truth? Seriously, get a grip. The cell is a b/tch, it's been a b/tch since people got their hands on PS3 dev kits. Sony has never made their platform developer friendly but they were the dominate console last gen but that isn't the case anymore. Studios are questioning the return for their investment into developing for the PS3.

Absolutely right, the cell is very expensive to program but more importantly it doesn't do the stuff that games really need.
The graphics pipeline on the PS3 is crippled by a lack of texture bandwidth, which is why so many games are running with texture filtering turned down low. Hence the really noisy texture look on the PS3.

Anyone developing for the PS3 is not supposed to openly criticize the platform. There are legal agreements in place which prevent that sort of commentary.

Behind closed doors there is a torrent of complaint.

C.
post #2373 of 2640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elixir View Post

Why do you insist that countless reports, echoes from industry insiders, and many developers from AAA studios are lying? or manipulating the truth? Seriously, get a grip. The cell is a b/tch, it's been a b/tch since people got their hands on PS3 dev kits. Sony has never made their platform developer friendly but they were the dominate console last gen but that isn't the case anymore. Studios are questioning the return for their investment into developing for the PS3.

Case in point- Uncharted by the studio someone in here mentioned, Naughty Dog. They sunk a good chunk of money into that game which came out pretty decent but only turned a slight profit for the studio which umm i believe is owned by Sony.

Countless reports vs. Countless reports. 360 VS. PS3 is just like Apple vs. Microsoft. In one hand you have people that swear by one, and in the other there are haters.

I have to defer to amcl's post who makes a point that is undeniable, and elaborate by adding that the days of the old are gone and developers have to move on and start learning again. There is no way around it. At least sony saw the shift and started planning for the future while M$ decided to keep milking old technologies rather than ramping up for the future. If anything I think M$ is hurting the developer industry as a whole and not just the gaming industry by hanging on to a dead horse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amcl View Post

Parallel programming is a new paradigm for mainstream developers which is why there has been some struggle to adjust here. However, multi core processing such as the PS3's IBM cell design are the future and it is here to stay.

Intel recently made a statement to this effect, that developers need to start considering how their design scales to hundreds or thousands of cores not just quad or octa cores in the very near future. Intel and AMD have been saying for several years now that the free performance gained from just ramping up the clock on a single core design has ended.

So IMO the argument that this design is costly in terms of development and will fall away is a moot point. It is the way performance is going to be scaling now according to all of the major CPU vendors. So software development is going to be forced to embrace the parallel paradigm.
onlooker
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: parts unknown




http://www.apple.com/feedback/macpro.html
Reply
onlooker
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: parts unknown




http://www.apple.com/feedback/macpro.html
Reply
post #2374 of 2640
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlooker View Post

Countless reports vs. Countless reports. 360 VS. PS3 is just like Apple vs. Microsoft. In one hand you have people that swear by one, and in the other there are haters.

I have to defer to amcl's post who makes a point that is undeniable, and elaborate by adding that the days of the old are gone and developers have to move on and start learning again. There is no way around it. At least sony saw the shift and started planning for the future while M$ decided to keep milking old technologies rather than ramping up for the future. If anything I think M$ is hurting the developer industry as a whole and not just the gaming industry by hanging on to a dead horse.

And i'll refer to Carniphage's post. The cell wasn't made specifically for gaming, it was a multi-purpose chip. Why should game developers deal with programming on a chip that isn't specifically designed for gaming? Nor supported with easy to use tools? Which is another huge complaint about Sony's platform verses Microsofts.

I love the hot air that spews out around here. There is no indication that gaming is moving in any direction but backwards. Look at the hype the Wii is getting, I hate it, believe me, I hate it, but to quote a general computing statement from an Intel person for the sake of this argument is completely off grounds with the argument.

If anything Sony has been doing nothing but playing catch up to their competitors in the gaming aspect of their "Personal Computing" unit. The company once stated "NExt gen doesn't start until we say it does" haha. all they do is mimic their competitors now.
post #2375 of 2640
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlooker View Post

Countless reports vs. Countless reports. 360 VS. PS3 is just like Apple vs. Microsoft. In one hand you have people that swear by one, and in the other there are haters.

I have to defer to amcl's post who makes a point that is undeniable, and elaborate by adding that the days of the old are gone and developers have to move on and start learning again. There is no way around it. At least sony saw the shift and started planning for the future while M$ decided to keep milking old technologies rather than ramping up for the future. If anything I think M$ is hurting the developer industry as a whole and not just the gaming industry by hanging on to a dead horse.

The games industry is a business.
To a developer, a console is a just a box. You put money into development, and take money out when the game sells. If it costs more to make a game than you get back in sales, you lose money. End of story. Check out Sony's balance sheet to see the numbers.

Parallel programming is indeed the future. An ideal gaming machine might have a quad cores, each with fast SSE style maths unit, alongside a fast (SLI) GPU with great bandwidth.
But the Cell represents a very strange model of that paradigm. A single conventional core with a bunch of fast gimp processors is ill-suited to the requirement of games. And even more ill suited to the needs of game developers.

Games *can* be written for the Cell for sure. It's just that if you spend $1M on the PS3 and $1M on the 360, you simply get more game for your money on the 360. That is partly because a lot of PS3 development revolves around low-level programming. The most sought-after PS3 engineers are old-school guys who can deal with this 20th century programming stuff.

Typical stories are teams who get devkits and get their engines up and running on the 360 in a couple of weeks. Whereas the PS3 versions take many many months and have stability and performance issues right up to shipping.

BTW, I am not impressed with the 360's non-electronic engineering. The fan on the 360 is deafening, and the red-ring-of-death is a total "Charlie Foxtrot" in Halo speak.

C.
post #2376 of 2640
anyone bought any BD movies recently?
I don't see how an anti M$ stance can be seen as a bad thing on an Apple forum I really can't!

nagromme - According to Amazon: "SpongBob Typing Tutor" is outselling Windows
Reply
I don't see how an anti M$ stance can be seen as a bad thing on an Apple forum I really can't!

nagromme - According to Amazon: "SpongBob Typing Tutor" is outselling Windows
Reply
post #2377 of 2640
I have...kinda. Pre-ordered SG:Continuum on BD and Batman Begins too.
"When I was a kid, my favourite relative was Uncle Caveman. After school, wed all go play in his cave, and every once and awhile, hed eat one of us. It wasnt until later that I discovered Uncle...
Reply
"When I was a kid, my favourite relative was Uncle Caveman. After school, wed all go play in his cave, and every once and awhile, hed eat one of us. It wasnt until later that I discovered Uncle...
Reply
post #2378 of 2640
Thread Starter 
Pioneer makes a 400-gigabyte Blu-ray Disc

http://www.heise.de/english/newsticker/news/110569

Quote:
Pioneer, the Japanese drive manufacturer, has developed the first laboratory prototype of a Blu-ray Disc that can store 400 gigabytes on one side. Each of its 16 storage layers holds 25 gigabytes. The previous record holder, TDK, only managed to squeeze 200 gigabytes on to 6 to 8 storage layers.


Pioneer says the greatest difficulty it had to overcome was extracting a useful optical signal from the sandwiched layers. Its new lens technology however does a very good job of compensating for spherical aberration in the optical path and minimizing crosstalk and transmission losses, so the optical sensor is able to get a good signal even from the lowest layer.

The success of the prototype will probably be exploited mainly for publicity purposes. It is doubtful, given the current state of the art, that such a 16-layer Blu-ray Disc would ever go into production. Present-day Blu-ray Discs can store 50 gigabytes on two layers. The return from the production effort falls dramatically with each additional storage layer, so economically justifiable mass production still seems far off.

For a practical drive, higher transfer rates would be desirable. If a 400-gigabyte disc were written to at the normal Blu-ray transfer rate – 4.5 megabytes per second – it would take 25 hours for the burner to fill it. Because of speed restrictions, it's expected that the Blu-ray Disc will in the future be limited to being read or written at a maximum of 12X. This makes it more likely that the technology developed by Pioneer will be used in coming generations of new optical storage media, rather than in a Blu-ray device.

post #2379 of 2640
Quote:
Originally Posted by marzetta7 View Post

Pioneer makes a 400-gigabyte Blu-ray Disc

seen that the other day, looks interesting, now if only I could get an Apple supported burner for a cheap price.

I feel theres not much point in asking you Marz, have you bought a BD player yet? I think if you had you would have posted here
I don't see how an anti M$ stance can be seen as a bad thing on an Apple forum I really can't!

nagromme - According to Amazon: "SpongBob Typing Tutor" is outselling Windows
Reply
I don't see how an anti M$ stance can be seen as a bad thing on an Apple forum I really can't!

nagromme - According to Amazon: "SpongBob Typing Tutor" is outselling Windows
Reply
post #2380 of 2640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elixir View Post

And i'll refer to Carniphage's post. The cell wasn't made specifically for gaming, it was a multi-purpose chip. Why should game developers deal with programming on a chip that isn't specifically designed for gaming? Nor supported with easy to use tools? Which is another huge complaint about Sony's platform verses Microsofts.

I love the hot air that spews out around here. There is no indication that gaming is moving in any direction but backwards. Look at the hype the Wii is getting, I hate it, believe me, I hate it, but to quote a general computing statement from an Intel person for the sake of this argument is completely off grounds with the argument.

If anything Sony has been doing nothing but playing catch up to their competitors in the gaming aspect of their "Personal Computing" unit. The company once stated "NExt gen doesn't start until we say it does" haha. all they do is mimic their competitors now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carniphage View Post

The games industry is a business.
To a developer, a console is a just a box. You put money into development, and take money out when the game sells. If it costs more to make a game than you get back in sales, you lose money. End of story. Check out Sony's balance sheet to see the numbers.

Parallel programming is indeed the future. An ideal gaming machine might have a quad cores, each with fast SSE style maths unit, alongside a fast (SLI) GPU with great bandwidth.
But the Cell represents a very strange model of that paradigm. A single conventional core with a bunch of fast gimp processors is ill-suited to the requirement of games. And even more ill suited to the needs of game developers.

Games *can* be written for the Cell for sure. It's just that if you spend $1M on the PS3 and $1M on the 360, you simply get more game for your money on the 360. That is partly because a lot of PS3 development revolves around low-level programming. The most sought-after PS3 engineers are old-school guys who can deal with this 20th century programming stuff.

Typical stories are teams who get devkits and get their engines up and running on the 360 in a couple of weeks. Whereas the PS3 versions take many many months and have stability and performance issues right up to shipping.

BTW, I am not impressed with the 360's non-electronic engineering. The fan on the 360 is deafening, and the red-ring-of-death is a total "Charlie Foxtrot" in Halo speak.

C.

You two keep crying the same tune. And it's stale. We hear about countless reports, and all these developers that are having such a hard time developing, but I've seen all the same arguments in favor of the PS3 too. When I said countless reports vs. countless reports I was saying someone says "tomato" someone else says "tomato".
Dig up some some real dirt if your going to try to argue.
onlooker
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: parts unknown




http://www.apple.com/feedback/macpro.html
Reply
onlooker
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: parts unknown




http://www.apple.com/feedback/macpro.html
Reply
post #2381 of 2640
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlooker View Post

You two keep crying the same tune. And it's stale. We hear about countless reports, and all these developers that are having such a hard time developing, but I've seen all the same arguments in favor of the PS3 too. When I said countless reports vs. countless reports I was saying someone says "tomato" someone else says "tomato".
Dig up some some real dirt if your going to try to argue.

And you have some facts? Or just tedious fanboyism.

All of the Sony developers say this stuff behind closed doors. Sony make them sign contracts which forbid open criticism of the platform. Obviously.

But the facts are out there.

Kutaragi originally stated that the PS3 would be superior.
http://play.tm/wire/click/271864
Now Kutaragi is gone. I think the consensus is that in side by side comparisons we can't see any superiority.
http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3167612

But there is one really clear difference. It's the release dates of titles.
Sony had a line up of titles - and its fair to say there has been quite a bit of slippage.

The "Halo killer" - Killzone 2 has yet to appear. Despite being the most expensive media project ever to come out of the Netherlands. It is looking like a 4 year project! 4 years! That's the gap between the Xbox 1 and the Xbox 360.

Polyphony are an awesome development house. But where is Gran Turismo 4 ?
It's an upgrade of the PS2 game and it still has not materialized.

Oblivion appeared a year later on the PS3 (although it was supposed to be a launch title)
The PS3 version of Grand Theft Auto 4 was stalled because the PS3 version was not ready.

Dude the evidence is out there.
Let's sing the theme song
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R98qC0fd_1w

C.
post #2382 of 2640
Don't expect a PS3 price drop any time soon http://www.beurs.nl/nieuws/artikel.p...265548&taal=US which is pretty striking considering this monday will see the xbox 360 premium drop to $300 and core to around $225.

I wonder how long individual blu-ray players will hover above $300 dollars?
post #2383 of 2640
I stopped in to Best Buy yesterday and they were promoting an Insignia brand player for $299.
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
Reply
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
Reply
post #2384 of 2640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Slocombe View Post

anyone bought any BD movies recently?

There are some great old Japanese kung-fu double-bills that I picked up; Sister Street Fighter/Sister Street Fighter II, and Shogun Ninja/Killing Machine. All star Sonny Chiba to a greater or lesser extent.

Not for everyone, but at around eight dollars a disc, that's four dollars a movie! They have obviously been transferred from a source that is not too good, but the picture is still pretty clean and sharp.

I actually have a DVD of one of these movies and the BR is about a million times better. I'm beginning to find older DVD's almost unwatchable, although remastered and new movies can still look OK.
post #2385 of 2640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

I stopped in to Best Buy yesterday and they were promoting an Insignia brand player for $299.

yeah but is it decent? i want something good at around $200.
post #2386 of 2640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Slocombe View Post

anyone bought any BD movies recently?

Is it OK to talk about BD movies in this thread now that gamers have taken it over?

Seriously I'm waiting for The Hunt for Red October. I'm using Netflix for other July releases.
post #2387 of 2640
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCodger73 View Post

Is it OK to talk about BD movies in this thread now that gamers have taken it over?

Seriously I'm waiting for The Hunt for Red October. I'm using Netflix for other July releases.


thats kinda why I asked!

I've ordered Batman Begins, yeah i KNOW its been out a little while now. but I'm waiting on that.

The prices here have come down, just not quite enough for me yet. The oil prices going up have kind of put a damper on my spending, not that that stopped me ordering a ton of SD-DVDs (TV shows) just recently.

I've done my 6 months without ordering anything stint, and it was fairly easy to be honest. I'll soon have 400 movies in iTunes (new TB discs help!) plus over 700 TV shows, so I'm kind of spoiled for stuff to watch at the moment.
I don't see how an anti M$ stance can be seen as a bad thing on an Apple forum I really can't!

nagromme - According to Amazon: "SpongBob Typing Tutor" is outselling Windows
Reply
I don't see how an anti M$ stance can be seen as a bad thing on an Apple forum I really can't!

nagromme - According to Amazon: "SpongBob Typing Tutor" is outselling Windows
Reply
post #2388 of 2640
Walter, there are only a few movies that I buy when they first come out, The Hunt for Red October is an example, other titles that I'm interested in go on a "buy when on deep sale" list. Amazon typically has new releases at 30% off which is still high but bearable.

There's no must have discs coming out in August but September and October looking to be expensive. September has the Godfather collection and L.A. Confidential, while October has Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skull, Sweeny Todd plus The Third Man and possibly the Last Emperor from Criterion.

I also make a lot of use of Netflix.
post #2389 of 2640
Thread Starter 
Blu-ray Is Booming; Wall Street Analysts Are Blooming Idiots

http://www.tvpredictions.com/blu071408.htm

Quote:
Consumers have spent $194 million on Blu-ray high-def discs in the first six months of 2008 -- a 350 percent over sales of both Blu-ray and HD DVD titles in the first six months of last year.

That's according to an article by The Hollywood Reporter.

The publication adds that Bluj-ray sales revenue alone should triple the amount of digital downloading revenue in 2008. One analyst says the high-def disc's advantage is evidence that Wall Street doesn't understand the tech industry.

Many Wall Street analysts have said digital downloads -- downloading movies over the Net directly to your home TV -- will soon replace both Blu-ray and the standard-def DVD.

"Most analysts are techno-geeks with plenty of money and not much time, while most Americans are not technically savvy, and they have plenty of time but not much money," said Tom Adams, president of Adams Media Research. "The fact is, despite what many on Wall Street seem to think, there is very little digital downloading going on. We're talking about $118 million in 2007 spending, and about $254 million this year -- so against a $24 billion packaged media market (Blu-ray and standard-def DVD) it's really not making much of a dent at this point."

The Hollywood Reporter writes that unit sales of Blu-ray discs were up 340 percent in the first half of 2008, with the number of discs sold around 7.4 million.

I Am Legend is the leading high-def disc seller with 305,000 unit sales, followed by National Treasure 2: Book of Secrets with 145,000.


Commentary:
Tom Adams could not be more right. From DVRs to the Apple TV to Interactive TV to now Blu-ray, Wall Street analysts have been dead wrong on predicting the future of nearly every new TV technology.

They have said millions of people would buy products from their TV screens using Interactive TV remote controls; they have said people would stop watching ads because of the DVR (they also said TiVo would conquer the world); they have said the Apple TV would become a cultural phenomenon; and now they are saying that digital downloads will take over the living room.

Wrong! Wrong! Wrong!

Financial analysts, many of which are based in New York and have incomes that far exceed the average person, do not understand the average home viewer; they see the industry through their eyes only, and therefore, too often hype new tech products as the next big thing.

Why? Because they think the products are "cool."

But digital downloads is their latest mistake with the analysts saying millions of home viewers will soon connect their TVs to Net-capable devices.

However, the analysts forget two things: most Americans are not tech-savvy and are confused by Internet TV devices. And two, it takes too damn long to download a high-def movie over the Net.

It will still be a few years before Blu-ray becomes a mass audience product. But it will be years and years and years before digital downloads are ready for primetime.

All I can say is that any investor who listens to a Wall Street analyst on TV technology issues should have his head examined because you're guaranteed to lose your money.
post #2390 of 2640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carniphage View Post

And you have some facts? Or just tedious fanboyism.

Why is it always tedious fanboys that trot out stuff like this?

Back on topic. Anyone got an external BR burner they're using for burning edited movies? Don't think I've got the patience, or hard disc space, to wait for Apple to fit BR burners.
post #2391 of 2640
Quote:
Originally Posted by marzetta7 View Post

From DVRs to the Apple TV to Interactive TV to now Blu-ray, Wall Street analysts have been dead wrong on predicting the future of nearly every new TV technology.

You must mean Hollywood, who were so wrong about VCRs they tried to sue the technology out of existence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marzetta7 View Post

They have said millions of people would buy products from their TV screens using Interactive TV remote controls; they have said people would stop watching ads because of the DVR (they also said TiVo would conquer the world); they have said the Apple TV would become a cultural phenomenon; and now they are saying that digital downloads will take over the living room.

Wrong! Wrong! Wrong!

So your point is that Blu-Ray will take off a few years from now, but you think Downloads have to take off now or lose the battle completely? That's insane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marzetta7 View Post

Financial analysts, many of which are based in New York and have incomes that far exceed the average person, do not understand the average home viewer; they see the industry through their eyes only, and therefore, too often hype new tech products as the next big thing.

You obviously have no idea how the financial world works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marzetta7 View Post

But digital downloads is their latest mistake with the analysts saying millions of home viewers will soon connect their TVs to Net-capable devices.

Millions certainly will by this Christmas. More such devices are being announced every week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marzetta7 View Post

However, the analysts forget two things: most Americans are not tech-savvy and are confused by Internet TV devices. And two, it takes too damn long to download a high-def movie over the Net.

Exactly what the music industry said ten years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marzetta7 View Post

It will still be a few years before Blu-ray becomes a mass audience product. But it will be years and years and years before digital downloads are ready for primetime.

Wishful thinking. BR is the future for the collector market only. Rentals have largely moved to digital distribution (video-on-demand). As such, BR will not benefit from the economies of scale that DVD has.

Both systems will co-exist, but Blu-Ray will never become the force in the market that DVD did in its time.
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
Reply
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
Reply
post #2392 of 2640
Quote:
Originally Posted by marzetta7 View Post

And two, it takes too damn long to download a high-def movie over the Net.

I tried renting a HD movie on my AppleTV. I pressed the button and the movie was ready to start playing in five minutes.

Now for sure, that is five minutes too long...

...But then again, most stupid DVDs are cluttered with slow menus, non-standard interfaces, and a short "Reefer Madness" style documentaries on the moral dangers of piracy.

So once you go to the shelf, get out the disk, load it into the machine, navigate the mess of trailers and warnings and finally get it on the screen. I bet the best part of 5 minutes have passed.

Thank goodness that Sony is stalwart in its support of disk-based distribution.
http://www.fierceonlinevideo.com/sto...d=OTC-RSS-FOV0

And while only techno-geeks and first adopters will bother with all the direct network download stuff.... I am not sure the tobacco-chewing yokels that are left behind will make a bee-line for blu-ray. Isn't DVD good enough for folks watching on a 12" black and white Philco?

C.
post #2393 of 2640
Yeah this downloading thing will take years to become a reality.
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
Reply
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
Reply
post #2394 of 2640
And the cries of millions of PS3 fanboys were heard this afternoon when one of Sony's major titles has now been announced for the Xbox 360.

Final Fantasy Xlll

http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?op...11340&Itemid=2

what a blow, what a blow. Neogaf even crashed under the pressure
post #2395 of 2640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elixir View Post

And the cries of millions of PS3 fanboys were heard this afternoon when one of Sony's major titles has now been announced for the Xbox 360.

Final Fantasy Xlll

http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?op...11340&Itemid=2

what a blow, what a blow. Neogaf even crashed under the pressure

And this has what relevance to Apple, Blu-ray or HD-DVD discussion?

Although I suppose any non Blu-ray version of FFXIII will have to come on about a dozen DVD's, so there is a possible angle I suppose.
post #2396 of 2640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Slocombe View Post

anyone bought any BD movies recently?

I recently purchased...

Cloverfield
The Signal
No Country...
Batman Begins
Blade Runner
I Am Legend
There Will Be Blood
Terminator 1 & 2
Black Hawk Down
Pirates of the Caribbean Trilogy
Casino Royale
Ratatouille
Ocean's Boxed Set
Kingdom of Heaven
Die Hard Boxed Set
"The selfishness of Ayn Rand capitalism is the equivalent of intellectual masturbation -- satisfying in an ego-stroking way, but an ethical void when it comes to our commonly shared humanity."
Reply
"The selfishness of Ayn Rand capitalism is the equivalent of intellectual masturbation -- satisfying in an ego-stroking way, but an ethical void when it comes to our commonly shared humanity."
Reply
post #2397 of 2640
Quote:
Originally Posted by womblingfree View Post

And this has what relevance to Apple, Blu-ray or HD-DVD discussion?

Although I suppose any non Blu-ray version of FFXIII will have to come on about a dozen DVD's, so there is a possible angle I suppose.

It has to do with Sony's platform failing as a gaming console and becoming more and more just a blue-ray player.
post #2398 of 2640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northgate View Post

I recently purchased...

Cloverfield
The Signal
No Country...
Batman Begins
Blade Runner
I Am Legend
There Will Be Blood
Terminator 1 & 2
Black Hawk Down
Pirates of the Caribbean Trilogy
Casino Royale
Ratatouille
Ocean's Boxed Set
Kingdom of Heaven
Die Hard Boxed Set

Are T1 and T2 actually in HIgh def?
onlooker
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: parts unknown




http://www.apple.com/feedback/macpro.html
Reply
onlooker
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: parts unknown




http://www.apple.com/feedback/macpro.html
Reply
post #2399 of 2640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elixir View Post

It has to do with Sony's platform failing as a gaming console and becoming more and more just a blue-ray player.

Now that's just crap. I use mine to play videos off of the hard drive and download HD trailers too!
post #2400 of 2640
FFXIII on 360. I called it.

How about that Massive Action Game? 256 players in one huge epic fight?
Yes please.

Sony starts their PS3 TV/Movie download service tonight.

And the 360 is doing Netflix
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Blu-ray vs. HD DVD (2008)