or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Blu-ray vs. HD DVD (2008)

Blu-ray vs. HD DVD (2008) - Page 7

post #241 of 2640
Quote:
Originally Posted by marzetta7 View Post

Here's the BOMB of all BOMBS...

Warner Bros to back Blu-ray DVD format exclusively

Goodbye HD DVD...goodbye. Don't let the door hit your vagina on the way out. JK (It was a line from, Knocked Up, a soon to be Blu-ray movie from Universal )

LOL...I'm actually watching Knocked Up w/a friend tonight. Well what's good for the goose is good for the gander. I knew when the Paramount deal went through that there'd be some blowback. All in all the studios screwed consumers.
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
post #242 of 2640
Ohhhh, it's official

Warner Goes Blu-ray...

http://www.timewarner.com/corp/newsr...700383,00.html

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/product...-blu-ray_N.htm

What a fantastic day. Now we can all rejoice in having ONE true format and start enjoying what really matters--high-def movies!

post #243 of 2640
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

LOL...I'm actually watching Knocked Up w/a friend tonight. Well what's good for the goose is good for the gander. I knew when the Paramount deal went through that there'd be some blowback. All in all the studios screwed consumers.

So, honestly Murch, buddy, do you think this marks the end of the format war?
post #244 of 2640
post #245 of 2640
So how much do you think Warner got paid Marz?
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
post #246 of 2640
Quote:

So, honestly Murch, buddy, do you think this marks the end of the format war?

Yup

HD DVD could have lost Paramount and not felt the effects as bad as losing Warner who's delivered more movies than anyone I believe.

CES 08 is going to be "really" interesting. I can't see anything that could happen to the HD DVD camp that that would offset this loss.

Sony and the BDA ante upped when they had to and made it happen.
- SolipsismX
- SolipsismX
post #247 of 2640
All I can say is OMG!!!! I had no idea this was coming so quickly.

So what exactly is the deal with paramount? Do they have to back HD-DVD exclusively for the remainder of their one year deal, or something?
onlooker

http://www.apple.com/feedback/macpro.html
onlooker

post #248 of 2640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

So how much do you think Warner got paid...

I'm sure they walked away pretty satisfied with themselves. On the other hand, if this can hasten the day when someone can just buy a new player for movies and not worry if that disc they're buying will play in it then it's money well spent.
Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous Communist plot we have ever had to face? - Jack D. Ripper
Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous Communist plot we have ever had to face? - Jack D. Ripper
post #249 of 2640
Finally.
post #250 of 2640
Quote:

So how much do you think Warner got paid Marz?

a staggering amount is my guess. Probably 3x-4x what Paramount got.
- SolipsismX
- SolipsismX
post #251 of 2640
Quote:

HD DVD could have lost Paramount and not felt the effects as bad as losing Warner who's delivered more movies than anyone I believe

Hopefully Paramount and Dreamworks will be forced to remain HD-DVD exclusive due to their earlier bribe action, and hopefully they will lose all that bribe money and more due to lost sales.

In fact, I hope they spent a mint on HD-DVD production equipment...
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
post #252 of 2640
Quote:

I think you are probably right Murch and Frank777. They most likely had "incentives" for going Blu. I'm seriously just glad, like Bancho said, that now consumers can go buy Blu-ray and not have to worry about a format war.

Now we can all be assured in enjoying high-def goodness and the real battle can begin between Blu-ray and DVD.
post #253 of 2640
Quote:

Can you express that in quantities of booze and hookers?
post #254 of 2640
I wonder what the Blu Ray vs. HD-DVD weekly Numbers will be looking like in two months from now?

This is actually a big blow to Paramount. Their sales have no where to go but down. It's a major blow to paramount. If I had stocks in paramount I'd be getting the heck out right about now.

I wouldn't doubt it if they buy their way back out of their one year contractual obligation with HD-DVD and went dual format. Real quick like. Whatever they got paid probably isn't going to equal what a years worth of good Blu Ray sales is., and I doubt it's going to cover the loss they'll see from lack of HD-DVD sales.
onlooker

onlooker

post #255 of 2640
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlooker View Post

All I can say is OMG!!!! I had no idea this was coming so quickly.

So what exactly is the deal with paramount? Do they have to back HD-DVD exclusively for the remainder of their one year deal, or something?

I would imagine that Parmount had clauses in their agreement with HD DVD that gave them an out for an event just like this.
post #256 of 2640
Quote:

I think you are probably right Murch and Frank777. They most likely had "incentives" for going Blu. I'm seriously just glad, like Bancho said, that now consumers can go buy Blu-ray and not have to worry about a format war.

Now we can all be assured in enjoying high-def goodness and the real battle can begin between Blu-ray and DVD.

How long until typical consumers are aware of this news? A lot of people aren't with the times.
post #257 of 2640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bancho View Post

Can you express that in quantities of booze and hookers?

Sure

In America- a lot of booze and hookers.
In Malaysia- an absolutely UNGODLY amount of booze ..hookers and freaky stuff...for your village!

Truthfully I've grown weary of the format war. In the end it came down to who wanted it more and Sony and the BDA dug in and did what they had to do. I'll keep my HD DVD player and pick up movies on firesale from craigslist but it looks like Blu will be in my home sooner rather than later.
- SolipsismX
- SolipsismX
post #258 of 2640
It was my understanding that Paramount's deal was for 18 months, not 12.
post #259 of 2640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bancho View Post

It was my understanding that Paramount's deal was for 18 months, not 12.

You are correct. However, no one knows what clauses were in the contract for both sides.
post #260 of 2640
Okay, I'm about to post some humor...some humor...I think we all could use some...I just felt this clip summed up HD DVD predicament given the Warner announcement...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grbSQ6O6kbs

...please take the above video with comedic connotation that is intended. If you listen closely, they say, "bring out your DUD..."
post #261 of 2640
Quote:

You see, this is precisely the kind of hypocrisy the Sonytards are known for.

You spent half your posts railing against the Paramount "bribe" once the news came out and ridiculed anyone who said $150 million in marketing incentives was peanuts and not even the budget for one movie.

But when your format is in the exact same position, you call the payments "incentives" without a trace of remorse.

The end justifies the means. Just like Sony's approach to DRMed media over the years.
post #262 of 2640
Quote:

We were mad because the format war was effectively over, and the first bribe wasted a few months of everyones time by bringing HD-DVD back from the dead. The second bribe (if it exists, it is just a hypothesis) ended the BS caused by the first bribe.

I'm pretty happy that Microsoft lost money (a billion dollars maybe?, including the bribe and the development of all their IP that went into HD-DVD), also.
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
post #263 of 2640
Quote:

You spent half your posts railing against the Paramount "bribe" once the news came out and ridiculed anyone who said $150 million in marketing incentives was peanuts and not even the budget for one movie.

But when your format is in the exact same position, you call the payments "incentives" without a trace of remorse.

The end justifies the means. Just like Sony's approach to DRMed media over the years.

You see, this is precisely the point you keep missing. I said you are "probably" right...and in no way have I seen any evidence that can validate what you are claiming might be happening. Also, I used the word "incentives" simply to poke fun at your clamoring in regards to the $150 million dollar bribe.

If anything, Microsoft changed the way the game was played, and they are simply getting the favor returned for their actions in bribery, that is, if there was any "incentives"...or maybe it is simply karma coming back to bite them in the ass.

Moreover, at the very least, Warner has given HD DVD consumers the courtesy of 8 months to let their decision of exclusivity settle with consumers, not like Paramount who took Microsoft's payment and went with it the next day, despite the majority of consumers buying Blu-ray.

I know you like the word "hypocrisy" and all and how you attempt to label me and others here as such, but give it a rest will you. You're calling me and others hypocrites on an event that hasn't even happened, just one you suppose happened.

Furthermore the only "tard"-like logic is thinking that Sony is the BDA after the almost 4 years we've been discussing this.
post #264 of 2640
I'm so glad I never bought a HD-DVD drive for my Xbox 360 now!

If it comes true that Macs will have Blu Ray at Macworld, then I wonder how much life HD-DVD has as a movie or data disc. Are Microsoft likely to give in and put out a Blu Ray drive for the 360 now, or fight their corner for HD-DVD? Somehow 'Microsoft' and 'give in' don't really go together to me.
post #265 of 2640
Hmm...

That was £95 well spent. Yay for Blu-Ray! It has a cooler name anyway!

MacBook Pro 15" | Intel Core2 Duo 2.66GHz | 320GB HDD | OS X v10.8
White iPad (3G) with Wi-Fi | 16GB | Engraved | Blue Polyurethane Smart Cover
White iPhone 5 | 64GB | On 3UK

MacBook Pro 15" | Intel Core2 Duo 2.66GHz | 320GB HDD | OS X v10.8
White iPad (3G) with Wi-Fi | 16GB | Engraved | Blue Polyurethane Smart Cover
White iPhone 5 | 64GB | On 3UK

post #266 of 2640
What was £95 well spent?
post #267 of 2640
Quote:
Originally Posted by e1618978 View Post

Hopefully Paramount and Dreamworks will be forced to remain HD-DVD exclusive due to their earlier bribe action, and hopefully they will lose all that bribe money and more due to lost sales.

Hopefully not. The sooner there's just one format the better things are. Having Paramount and Dreamworks stuck on HD-DVD is just asking for more trouble unless Toshiba just caves and calls it a day. Not too danged likely even with the recent hit.

At least the probability of a Blu-ray vs HD DVD (2009) thread just went down by a prodigious amount.
post #268 of 2640
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinea View Post

At least the probability of a Blu-ray vs HD DVD (2009) thread just went down by a prodigious amount.

Yeah, we'll just have to start arguing about the xMac again!
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
post #269 of 2640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

Yeah, we'll just have to start arguing about the xMac again!

I'll second that.

post #270 of 2640
Warning: The Blu-ray Show contains adult language, adult content,...psychological nudity. Listener discretion is advised."

Around the net today...many a HD DVD proponent find themselves eating what some consider a black delicacy...and it is to f'n buku...

I kiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiid. I kid.
post #271 of 2640
Quote:
Warner said it would continue releasing in the HD DVD format until the end of May, although those releases would follow the standard DVD and Blu-ray releases.

Looks like May is when I'll be buying the Samsung BD-UP 5000. I can handle that.
post #272 of 2640
Who is going to be stupid enough to continue buying HD-DVD's anymore anyway? This is the nail in the coffin. Anything HD-DVD bought now is wasted $$$.
onlooker

onlooker

post #273 of 2640
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlooker View Post

Anything HD-DVD bought now is wasted $$$.

Because all HD-DVD hardware and software will now spontaneously combust?
post #274 of 2640
Quote:

Because all HD-DVD hardware and software will now spontaneously combust?

I'm surprised you even wasted the energy to answer that stupid shit. I just bought HD DVD Knocked Up and Transformers 30 minutes ago. I'm not going to see those on Blu-ray for a while. If people want to sell their HD DVD media for a cheap price I'll take it. The HD DVD I have still play great the VHS I have lying around just take up space.
- SolipsismX
- SolipsismX
post #275 of 2640
Why does anyone believe Warner got an incentive? They picked the winning format, not the losing one. It's Paramount that saw 150 million dollar signs floating above their heads and chose to look at the pretty colors instead of the HD disc sales figures.
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
post #276 of 2640
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

Why does anyone believe Warner got an incentive?

Because money's always involved in these kinds of things?

Quote:
According to a trusted source that was close to the negotiations, Warner and FOX were working on a deal to go Exclusive to HD DVD as recent as last week. Our source tells us that Warner was only willing to go to HD DVD if FOX would go with them. Their thinking was if they just went to HD DVD by themselves, it would not end the format war. Early this week FOX was paid an undisclosed amount to remain exclusive to Blu-ray. With the FOX deal falling through, Warner had no choice but to accept the BDAs $500 Million offer to go Blu-ray exclusive. We do wonder if FOX was just playing the HD DVD side, while having no intentions of ever switching.

No idea if it's true, but it makes a good story.
post #277 of 2640
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

Why does anyone believe Warner got an incentive? They picked the winning format, not the losing one. It's Paramount that saw 150 million dollar signs floating above their heads and chose to look at the pretty colors instead of the HD disc sales figures.

Look, we all know that the Blu-ray studios got incentives at the beginning. Why else did they choose a format that costs far more to produce?

Maybe it's because it's got even more DRM than HD-DVD?

I haven't really been participating in any of these annual Blu-ray Vs. HD-DVD threads, just looking-on a bit confused as to why people are so happy to back a format that perpetuates the deeply irritating region-coding and gives studios even more control than HD-DVD does.

(for the record I don't have an HD player of either format and probably won't for another couple of years)
post #278 of 2640
Quote:

(for the record I don't have an HD player of either format and probably won't for another couple of years)

No wonder you didn't join in then mate! at one point in these threads NOT having either player might have gotten you shot at..
I don't see how an anti M$ stance can be seen as a bad thing on an Apple forum I really can't!

nagromme - According to Amazon: "SpongBob Typing Tutor" is outselling Windows
I don't see how an anti M$ stance can be seen as a bad thing on an Apple forum I really can't!

post #279 of 2640
Warner are Blu only.. cool news, if a little expected, but sudden and out of the Blu (ok ok) So dreamworks will likely release a few BD movies now sooner rather than later.

Paramount oh Paramount where for art thou Paramount, what blu light through yonder WINDOWS breaks..

..If Ballmer sees thee he will murder thee.

yeah, I'm happy with the news an end to a stupid format war .. whats that then? VB day?? Victory for Blu?

long live the king and all that

post #280 of 2640
Wow, Warner's decision was a shocker! Earlier today I was about to post that I doubted that Warner would make that choice. That sure shows how little I know.

If moines did change hands I guess we have Microsoft to thank for showing the BDA how things are done.

Seriously, though, I think Warner's statement that consumers will not adopt HDM as long as there are competing formats is spot on. Hopefully this will hasten the end of the stupid format war.

Regarding Paramount and their 18 month agreement and a possible opt-out, who do you think has better lawyers, Paramount or Microsoft? My bet is that they're locked in for the life of the agreement.

One thing I haven't seen discussed is what kind of pressure will this put on Universal to go format neutral. Will they feel they'll have to tap into the larger and soon to be even larger BD market? Anyone have any thoughts on this.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Blu-ray vs. HD DVD (2008)