or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Blu-ray vs. HD DVD (2008)

Blu-ray vs. HD DVD (2008) - Page 62

post #2441 of 2640
[soundwave]onlooker superior. Northgate inferior.[/soundwave]

Aren't you both right? Isn't a graphic novel a specific sub-category of comic book.
post #2442 of 2640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guartho View Post

[soundwave]onlooker superior. Northgate inferior.[/soundwave]

Aren't you both right? Isn't a graphic novel a specific sub-category of comic book.

A graphic novel is a hybrid of the two, from what I've read about it, having its own, new category.
post #2443 of 2640
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopy View Post

A graphic novel is a hybrid of the two, from what I've read about it, having its own, new category.

"... oh where, oh where did my little thread go? Oh where, oh where did it go?"

Ok it was never mine..
But how did we get from HD-DVD & Blu-Ray to graphic novels?

... on second thoughts, don't explain that.

Jimzip
"There's no time like the present, and the only present you'll never get, is time." - Me
"There's no time like the present, and the only present you'll never get, is time." - Me
post #2444 of 2640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimzip View Post

. . . But how did we get from HD-DVD & Blu-Ray to graphic novels? . . .

Beats me. . . Just throwing in my two cents.
post #2445 of 2640
Ok so after reading the Myspace thread I jumped on the bandwagon and became totally obsessed with it - now that the Myspace obsession has died down, I've become hooked on Facebook!! I love it! I think it's so much better then Myspace and Hi5 and all those other 10 million sites that exist . . . At first I wasn't too keen but my friend made my profile for me . . . I was told "it's at a 'university' level and doesn't have any bogans or teeny boppers" I guess what she meant was that it's a bit more "mature" then the other sites . . . Ok it's hard to explain! But i'm totally hooked on it now and it's really not helping with all this uni work that I have to get done!!
Does anyone else use Facebook??
welcome to my website, www.ant-shopping.com .
welcome to my website, www.ant-shopping.com .
post #2446 of 2640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimzip View Post

"... oh where, oh where did my little thread go? Oh where, oh where did it go?"

Ok it was never mine..
But how did we get from HD-DVD & Blu-Ray to graphic novels?

... on second thoughts, don't explain that.

Jimzip

well isn't it obvious?

graphic novels offer more storage!
I don't see how an anti M$ stance can be seen as a bad thing on an Apple forum I really can't!

nagromme - According to Amazon: "SpongBob Typing Tutor" is outselling Windows
I don't see how an anti M$ stance can be seen as a bad thing on an Apple forum I really can't!

post #2447 of 2640
Facebook > Myspace.

That said, anyone know of any good sales going on? I've been itching to expand my Blu-ray collection.
post #2448 of 2640
When The Dark Knight comes out on Blu-ray i may be inclined to actually go out and buy a player.
post #2449 of 2640
Well gotta say the Dark Knight was a bit of a disappointment. Utterly failed to live up to even half the hype, a confusing mish mash of ideas.

basically it was one of those films that seem to be a new trend in film making.

the second film of 3 (or more) the "set up" movie.

quite rubbish taken on its own and made me feel like asking for my money back, if Nolan gets a gong for this turd, I think Hollywood should shut down and give the money back to the investors.

awful.

post #2450 of 2640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Slocombe View Post

Well gotta say the Dark Knight was a bit of a disappointment. Utterly failed to live up to even half the hype, a confusing mish mash of ideas.

quite rubbish taken on its own and made me feel like asking for my money back, if Nolan gets a gong for this turd, I think Hollywood should shut down and give the money back to the investors.

awful.

Are you joking? Please tell me you are. It did not appear in anyway to be a middle movie building up to another. Yeah it had an open ending to keep the Batman saga going, but that chapter ended. I'm not sure where it became a mishmash to you, seemed pretty straight forward to 95% of rottentomatoes.com reviewers (and me as well). The movie was awesome and Chris Nolan is an amazing director.

Let me guess, you thought Spiderman 3 was better and a much more enjoyable movie?
post #2451 of 2640
Quote:

awful.

Really? I walked away from the film (last night at IMAX) thinking it was the best movie I've seen thus far this summer. Even better the Iron Man. And certainly the best in the Batman series in my opinion.

I certainly felt for Heath Ledger (knowing that he has passed), who nailed the character of the Joker. An even better character representation than Jack Nicholson in the first Batman. Heath deserves some awards for his performance, as he certainly was captivating--both in his delivery as well as what the Joker stood for as a whole.

I personally can't wait to see the next one. Nolan is doing a fantastic job, but to each his own.
post #2452 of 2640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elixir View Post

When The Dark Knight comes out on Blu-ray i may be inclined to actually go out and buy a player.

For one movie? Or is this just the movie that puts it over the edge?

As for Batman, I'm going to go see it in an hour, and from everyone I've talked to they've said it was the best movie they've seen all year.

I'm excited.
post #2453 of 2640
Quote:

awful.

You make me want to vomit in my own mouth. Seriously, this explains a lot about you...

The Dark Knight might be the first movie in decades that has lived up to the hype to please such a wide variety of viewers. I expect some people to say they weren't totally impressed but to come out like you did... unreal.

post #2454 of 2640
The movie was brilliant.

In case anyone's curious, the new Blu-Ray BATMAN BEGINS has TDK's opening IMAX sequence on it and it looks gorgeous. The transfer is stunning (as I'd expect from 65mm film). The sound-design is fantastic.
"The selfishness of Ayn Rand capitalism is the equivalent of intellectual masturbation -- satisfying in an ego-stroking way, but an ethical void when it comes to our commonly shared humanity."
"The selfishness of Ayn Rand capitalism is the equivalent of intellectual masturbation -- satisfying in an ego-stroking way, but an ethical void when it comes to our commonly shared humanity."
post #2455 of 2640
Spiderman 3

nah, not really a great film, but better than the other two... actually scratch that, I just remembered the "bar room" scenes yeek!

---

Ok, when you have all gotten over your love affair with the late heath ledger who is unquestionably a good actor, say in 6 months time, then tell me what you think.

I am gonna give it a second look, but parts of it were rushed, the Dialogue messy, and some of the plot points were ticked right from the "how to make a hollywood movie" guide book.

Cinematography was great, the Spectacle of some of the big scenes were amazing..

but just WOW what a failure on so many other levels.

The CGI for Two face was great, Gyllenhaal however was unconvincing to the point of possibly being in the next spiderman movie.

It had none of the patience to wait for itself to unfold, that Begins had, and actually it was a rather weak performance from Oldman IMO.

--

Two comments I heard when Leaving "That was the worst movie I've ever seen in my life!" and "Total CRAAAAP"

--

its not the worst film I've seen, but it failed to deliver on expectations.

post #2456 of 2640
I saw it. It blew my mind.

End of discussion for me.
post #2457 of 2640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishyesque View Post

I saw it. It blew my mind.

End of discussion for me.

Chris Nolan is the best director going right now, in my opinion. Memento was a masterpiece but so was Dark Knight. To me it had nothing to do with Heath and everything to do with being the sequel to my previous favourite Batman movie "Batman Begins". I originally was worried about Heath as the Joker actually, but he was AMAZING.

PS. This post took me far too long as I was totally in the bag when I typed it out.
post #2458 of 2640
I think a good amount of people were worried about that, but man... He really came through.

It's nice to see that sequels can still be done right.
post #2459 of 2640
I haven't watched the movie so I can't comment on in. I'll wait until it comes out in BD and then rent it first to see if'll be one I want to buy.

Elixir's comment about TDK might be the movie to get him to buy a BD player got me to thinking: for those of you still sitting BD out, is there a movie that would get you to commit?

Oh, on the comic book - graphic novel thing, one of the big differences is $15 -$20 in price, grin.
post #2460 of 2640
I'd love the Star Wars Trilogy (classic) on Blu. Even if it's just the special editions.

And, of course, the Indiana Jones films. I'm hoping to see a Blu-Ray boxed set of all four movies.
post #2461 of 2640
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCodger73 View Post

I haven't watched the movie so I can't comment on in. I'll wait until it comes out in BD and then rent it first to see if'll be one I want to buy.

Elixir's comment about TDK might be the movie to get him to buy a BD player got me to thinking: for those of you still sitting BD out, is there a movie that would get you to commit?

Oh, on the comic book - graphic novel thing, one of the big differences is $15 -$20 in price, grin.

well the extra price gets you extra storage

ok, already Blu, but what would make me jump in? prob the original SW trilogy and, depending on how good it is (but already has too much hype to live up to) the new Star Trek Movie... IF I could buy it today! cos, like, it ain't even finished yet.. but I'm really ready to see that film! NOW!!1!

LOTR would be a big push also, that Is gonna look AMAZING in hidef.

and possibly (just to get away from SciFi) "How the West Was Won" for sheer vistas of WOW (tm) cos I hear they have done a real good job rescuing it from the decomposing 47 year old mess the reels had gotten into.

post #2462 of 2640
Quote:

.................................................( but already has too much hype to live up to) the new Star Trek Movie... IF I could buy it today! cos, like, it ain't even finished yet.. but I'm really ready to see that film! NOW!!1!........................................

That's not gonna be shit compared to WATCHMEN.
onlooker

http://www.apple.com/feedback/macpro.html
onlooker

http://www.apple.com/feedback/macpro.html
post #2463 of 2640
Quote:

well the extra price gets you extra storage

ok, already Blu, but what would make me jump in? prob the original SW trilogy and, depending on how good it is (but already has too much hype to live up to) the new Star Trek Movie... IF I could buy it today! cos, like, it ain't even finished yet.. but I'm really ready to see that film! NOW!!1!

LOTR would be a big push also, that Is gonna look AMAZING in hidef.

and possibly (just to get away from SciFi) "How the West Was Won" for sheer vistas of WOW (tm) cos I hear they have done a real good job rescuing it from the decomposing 47 year old mess the reels had gotten into.

How the West Was Won is announced for 9 September release.

My next purchase will be The Hunt for Red October on Tuesday.

I enjoy looking through this site for up coming titles

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/movies...how=comingsoon

So far we haven't heard from bite, maz and murch as to what title would push them over the edge.
post #2464 of 2640
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCodger73 View Post

How the West Was Won is announced for 9 September release.

My next purchase will be The Hunt for Red October on Tuesday.

I enjoy looking through this site for up coming titles

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/movies...how=comingsoon

So far we haven't heard from bite, maz and murch as to what title would push them over the edge.

cool, must take a gander and see when its out over here.

glad you will finally get your hands on Red October, you've been waiting a while on that! don't be shy in posting a review!

I gotta say, The Shining is another film that might have made me jump, ok not for the increased picture quality, but more possibly for the sound.

Oh and while I'm at it, "The Unforgiven"

--

I wonder what happened to Murch?

post #2465 of 2640
He was marketed as an up-converting poster and sold on clearance.
post #2466 of 2640
Quote:

post #2467 of 2640
Quote:

That made me LOL hard.

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous Communist plot we have ever had to face? - Jack D. Ripper
Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous Communist plot we have ever had to face? - Jack D. Ripper
post #2468 of 2640
http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/53976
"Rage Will Look Worse on 360 Due to Compression"

Blu-ray finally showing its use on the PS3.
post #2469 of 2640
1) The Dark Knight was excellent.

2) 'Graphic novel' is a marketing term to make comics seem more grown up; There's nothing wrong with the term 'comic book' except its perceived immaturity. Even Watchmen was simply a 12-issue comic series.

3) How is this thread still alive?
post #2470 of 2640
1) I completely agree.

2) Interesting point.

3) I have no idea.
post #2471 of 2640
I think now it's just become a tradition.
post #2472 of 2640
Quote:

I think now it's just become a tradition.

See you all at christmas!

post #2473 of 2640
First came the 100Gb Blu-ray

then the 200, next up was the 400Gb

now, however is a 20 layer 500Gb disc

http://www.trustedreviews.com/storag...lu-ray-Disc/p1

stone me!

post #2474 of 2640
http://www.crunchgear.com/2008/08/13...ers-in-the-us/

BD combo TVs!

Quote:
Starting next summer, Funai (Sylvania, Symphonic, Emerson) is planning to sell LCD TVs with integrated Blu-ray Disc players in the US. The Japanese company has a lot of good experience with this approach. Sales from cathode-ray tube TVs with built-in VCRs reached 40% of total TV sales for Funai a few years ago.

Currently 20% of all Funai TV sales in the US are based on TV/DVD player combos. Funai is likely to offer midsize and large screens with integrated Blu-ray players, both at Wal-Mart and electronics stores.

Details regarding release dates and prices are largely unknown at this point but a planned 42-inch LCD TV/Blu-ray combo, for example, is said to be priced between $1,100 and $1,300.

didn't see that one coming.

what is it gonna take for the nay sayers to buy in? or have they bought in already?

enquiring mind(s) want to know

and will Apple FINALLY make BD drives available (unsupported in the OS or not) as a BTO option in whatever new machine is just around the corner? or do we have to wait for Snow Leopard

PS. interestingly on that page I found a link to this piece about how HD-DVD wins because a $299 player is on the way thats from April 2007, but in regard to naysayers, aren't there now $299 BD players available? so shouldn't someone who "loves movies not formats" have bought in?

post #2475 of 2640
Toshiba has decided to make life even more difficult for Sony. Whether this matters or not, I don't know.
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
post #2476 of 2640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

Toshiba has decided to make life even more difficult for Sony. Whether this matters or not, I don't know.

I think Blu-ray's struggle has little to do with toshiba. There is just too little PS3 kids wanting to spend the extra cash for hi-def movie discs.

I finally got myself a LG-combo drive and I can probably play the fifth element blu-ray disc again. BTW, why are blu-ray version of HDM so expensive? No competition is a big extra cost for the consumers... no?
always a newbie
always a newbie
post #2477 of 2640
CEDIA 08 is underway and I've gotta be honest. Too many new players coming sans 2.0 at $499+ pricepoints.

Right now with the economy not looking so good $499 may as well be $1000 for many folks. I hope by Christmas there are more than a few vendors selling $249 players.
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
post #2478 of 2640
Hmm?

I didn't say a thing.

>.>
post #2479 of 2640
Well Murch, I've seen $350 players now so I'm sure there will be at least one for $249 by Christmas.
post #2480 of 2640
Quote:

Well Murch, I've seen $350 players now so I'm sure there will be at least one for $249 by Christmas.

Nice. I'm hoping to pickup a Panny or Sharp BD player around that time and my budget would be 350 tops.

My next purchase will have to be an AVR with 4 HDMI in and perhaps upscaling. Then I'll complete my surround sound setup.
- SolipsismX
- SolipsismX
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Blu-ray vs. HD DVD (2008)