or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Blu-ray vs. HD DVD (2008)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Blu-ray vs. HD DVD (2008) - Page 63

post #2481 of 2640
The LG combo drive is only $125 shipped from Newegg with a valid coupon code. I was surprised that the drive also included the powerDVD bundle for HD/BD disc playback. I thought it was odd that the LG combo drive is cheaper than the Blu-ray drive. Anyway, on 1080p displays, the HTPC showing at 1080p would be as good playing HD contents as the top of the line standalone player. The audio output may be a compromise, however, it's still pretty decent over SPDIF. Can't complain much for $125 HiDef combo player.
always a newbie
Reply
always a newbie
Reply
post #2482 of 2640
Thread Starter 
Ahhh,...recovering from Hurricane Ike. No electricity for a week certainly sucks.

Anywho, thought I'd share this news, FYI...

First 6x Blu-ray blank media now available

http://www.computerworld.com/action/...icleId=9114960

Quote:
September 17, 2008 (Computerworld) Imation Corp. today announced the first 6x Blu-ray recordable (BD-R) and Blu-ray recordable double layer (BD-R DL) media for the U.S. retail market.

The new 6x BD-R discs will have up to a 216Mbit/sec. data transfer speed. The discs are hard-coated and made of a "highly sensitive inorganic material" that enable long lasting performance.

Blu-ray comes in 25GB, single layer and 50GB, double layer discs. Using TDK Life on Record 6x Blu-ray discs, consumers can record 25GB of data in as little as 17 minutes -- approximately six minutes faster than a prevously available 4x BD-R.

Imation is hawking its TDK-branded Blu-ray discs at consumers for archviving digital content. The company said the new Blu-ray discs also address compatibility issues found with previous models through the use of the VER. 1.3. format, which Imation claims to be the most compatable with Blu-ray burners today.

TDK Life on Record Blu-ray 6x media will be available in 25GB single-layer and 50GB double-layer capacities starting in October, at a retail price of $13.99 for a BD-R disc and $32.99 for a BD-R DL.

Imation said it is also launching a full line of TDK Life on Record-branded accessories for Blu-ray disc cleaning and storage to protect and maintain high-definition content, including the following:

TDK Life on Record Opticloth for Blu-ray, a reusable microfiber cloth to clean Blu-ray media safely. They will be available in November for a suggested retail price of $4.99. TDK Life on Record Blu-ray Clean Cloths -- dry, disposable, nonabrasive cloths for removing dust, dirt and oil from Blu-ray disc surfaces. The cloths will be available in November for a suggested retail price of $4.99 for a pack of 20 cloths. TDK Life on Record Blu-ray Player Laser Lens Cleaner, which helps maintain and clean Blu-ray players. It will be available in November for a suggested retail price of $29.99. TDK Life on Record Blu-ray Tyvek Sleeves for storing Blu-ray discs in a scratch-resistant sleeve. Packs of 25 will be available in November for a suggested retail price of $8.99.
post #2483 of 2640
Holy crap!!

this threads still here!?
I don't see how an anti M$ stance can be seen as a bad thing on an Apple forum I really can't!

nagromme - According to Amazon: "SpongBob Typing Tutor" is outselling Windows
Reply
I don't see how an anti M$ stance can be seen as a bad thing on an Apple forum I really can't!

nagromme - According to Amazon: "SpongBob Typing Tutor" is outselling Windows
Reply
post #2484 of 2640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guartho View Post

Well Murch, I've seen $350 players now so I'm sure there will be at least one for $249 by Christmas.

I managed to find this one at Best Buy - It's their Insignia for $230. I sent the link to my wife as a way to introduce the discussion topic - she still gives me grief over my buying HD-DVD last fall. She surprised me buy buying it as a gift.

Not much time with it yet, but no problems.
post #2485 of 2640
$14 for blank BR media!!!!!
"The selfishness of Ayn Rand capitalism is the equivalent of intellectual masturbation -- satisfying in an ego-stroking way, but an ethical void when it comes to our commonly shared humanity."
Reply
"The selfishness of Ayn Rand capitalism is the equivalent of intellectual masturbation -- satisfying in an ego-stroking way, but an ethical void when it comes to our commonly shared humanity."
Reply
post #2486 of 2640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northgate View Post

$14 for blank BR media!!!!!

I remember $25 blank CDs, single speed at that!!
I don't see how an anti M$ stance can be seen as a bad thing on an Apple forum I really can't!

nagromme - According to Amazon: "SpongBob Typing Tutor" is outselling Windows
Reply
I don't see how an anti M$ stance can be seen as a bad thing on an Apple forum I really can't!

nagromme - According to Amazon: "SpongBob Typing Tutor" is outselling Windows
Reply
post #2487 of 2640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northgate View Post

$14 for blank BR media!!!!!

It will be worth my interest when street price hit around $5, but ideally right around $2 for SL media would be even nicer. I'm sure the price will go down if one can wait long enough.
always a newbie
Reply
always a newbie
Reply
post #2488 of 2640
So I got my Transformers BR in from Amazon last Friday. I briefly owned the HD-DVD version and watched it about three times before returning the player for PS3.

And I remember the infamous rant that Michael Bay made about his precious movie not being released on the superior Blu-Ray format.

So I put my shiny new BR version of Transformers in my PS3 waiting to be blown away by Blu-Ray's superiority!!!! And guess what....

It was the EXACTLY THE SAME as the HD-DVD experience. But hey, I've got uncompressed audio now!!! WooT! My neighbor will be so happy!

[/sarcasm]

Look, I love my PS3 and my BR collection. My point, ultimately, is that I giggled this weekend when I watched the BR version of Transformers and realized there was absolutely no difference between the two (unless, of course, uncompressed audio floats your boat).
"The selfishness of Ayn Rand capitalism is the equivalent of intellectual masturbation -- satisfying in an ego-stroking way, but an ethical void when it comes to our commonly shared humanity."
Reply
"The selfishness of Ayn Rand capitalism is the equivalent of intellectual masturbation -- satisfying in an ego-stroking way, but an ethical void when it comes to our commonly shared humanity."
Reply
post #2489 of 2640
Is Blu-Ray on the ropes?

If big screen TV sales decline drastically in the U.S. (as is likely), is BR going to be able to stay alive?
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
Reply
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
Reply
post #2490 of 2640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

Is Blu-Ray on the ropes?

If big screen TV sales decline drastically in the U.S. (as is likely), is BR going to be able to stay alive?

Who knows. So far big screen flat panel TV sales seem to be holding up.

Frank, what's your definition of big screen?
post #2491 of 2640
This morning on AVSforum it was reported that Amazon was selling Sony and Panasonic BD players in the $250 $260 range. Three Warner Bros. BDs were included in the price. Many of Amazon's sales seem to last for a very short duration so I don't know if it's still on.
post #2492 of 2640
I got myself a cheap HiDef combo player, but I have hard time finding cheap Blu-ray movies to play in it. I'm still buying more HD-DVD titles than Blu-ray. Check out the amazon.co.uk for interesting bargains on HD-DVD imports.
However, my blu-ray wish list just keeps getting longer. I just have to wait until I get all my stuff out of storage and then I won't feel bad spending more $ on blu-ray titles.
always a newbie
Reply
always a newbie
Reply
post #2493 of 2640
bite, you're right about lack of bargain priced BR titles. Hopefully there will be sales during 4Q leading up to Christmas. Someone reported that Columbia House has some BOGO sales occasionally and that you can sign up for BR as your introductory purchase rather than DVD but I haven't investigated further. I know they were probably the best source for LD at the time.

I guess right now if you want some of the excellent titles that came out this month and are scheduled for October and November release, you'll have to go with Amazon for their 30% or whatever off new releases. I watched L.A. Confidential last night, a great movie with an excellent transfer, and will work my way through The Godfather: The Coppola Restoration this week.
post #2494 of 2640
Quote:
Originally Posted by bitemymac View Post

I got myself a cheap HiDef combo player, but I have hard time finding cheap Blu-ray movies to play in it.

Me too. I've been sticking almost exclusively to renting via Netflix. All of the desirable films never fall below $25 online, and in-store prices stay at $30 or even $35. Blu-Ray discs seem to be sitting comfortably at twice the price of their DVD counterparts.
post #2495 of 2640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory Bauer View Post

Me too. I've been sticking almost exclusively to renting via Netflix. All of the desirable films never fall below $25 online, and in-store prices stay at $30 or even $35. Blu-Ray discs seem to be sitting comfortably at twice the price of their DVD counterparts.

Try ebay.
onlooker
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: parts unknown




http://www.apple.com/feedback/macpro.html
Reply
onlooker
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: parts unknown




http://www.apple.com/feedback/macpro.html
Reply
post #2496 of 2640
While looking for Iron Man on Blu Ray (amazon top seller) I noticed that Blu Ray disks are going to be coming with digital copy disks starting with Disney/PIxar Wall-E.
onlooker
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: parts unknown




http://www.apple.com/feedback/macpro.html
Reply
onlooker
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: parts unknown




http://www.apple.com/feedback/macpro.html
Reply
post #2497 of 2640
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlooker View Post

While looking for Iron Man on Blu Ray (amazon top seller) I noticed that Blu Ray disks are going to be coming with digital copy disks starting with Disney/PIxar Wall-E.

Actually they've been doing that for some months now, but I believe Wall*E will be the first Disney movie to do so.

Edit: Actually that's not true either, The Nightmare Before Christmas was a Disney release that included Digital Copy.
post #2498 of 2640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Slocombe View Post

Holy crap!!

this threads still here!?

Exactly... But seems like it should be renamed 'BD Harware and Media'. Any queries about movies, sweet deals, etc. should probably be discussed at blu-ray.com.
post #2499 of 2640
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg_nyc View Post

Exactly... But seems like it should be renamed 'BD Harware and Media'. Any queries about movies, sweet deals, etc. should probably be discussed at blu-ray.com.

Or in the BD forum on AVS.

This thread does have legs. It's been around since 2006? Now if we can just get marz and murch to pull the trigger on a BD player, this thread could die in peace.
post #2500 of 2640
I have a new samsung BD-P1500 blu-ray player and it is totally awesome. I would say that the only problem would be the length of time it takes to wait for the blu-ray disc to load, otherwise, the picture quality is awesome!

http://www.notebooks4college.com
post #2501 of 2640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory Bauer View Post

Actually they've been doing that for some months now, but I believe Wall*E will be the first Disney movie to do so.

Edit: Actually that's not true either, The Nightmare Before Christmas was a Disney release that included Digital Copy.

Your right.

HItman was the first BR w/DC
Bank Job had DC
and so did Eye .

The thing I like about having Blu Ray is the fact that I have an internet connection with my disk, and you don't have to go put your DVD in your Mac to access the DVD-ROM features that were rarely Mac compatible anyway.

Loaded Iron Man in today and went online right from my player and signed up a BD-Live account. A cool thing was I didn't have to sign up to get the downloadable content extras with the disk. I got the download with out having to make an account.
onlooker
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: parts unknown




http://www.apple.com/feedback/macpro.html
Reply
onlooker
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: parts unknown




http://www.apple.com/feedback/macpro.html
Reply
post #2502 of 2640
Thread Starter 
New MacBook rumored to feature Blu-ray

http://www.i4u.com/article20821.html

Quote:
Yesterday Jason Calacanis started to spread an Apple rumor about networked Apple HDTVs. Today Digg's Kevin Rose hits back with a rumor that Blu-ray drives would finally come to Apple Computers.
Kevin Rose said at an event in London that the new MacBooks to be announced on Tuesday will have Blu-ray drives.

Kevin Rose was right about his iPod nano prediction back in August giving this rumor some credibility. On the other hand, at some point Apple needs to bring Blu-ray drives. It is the only HD media disc out there after all and Sony sure is trying to get Apple to adopt Blu-ray.
More details on edible Apple.

One can only hope...then the thread can be moved to "Current Hardware"

Regardless, it has been a long time coming. We'll see,..
post #2503 of 2640
Not only was that prediction flat wrong, Jobs openly and intentionally dissed Blu-Ray. Wow.
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
Reply
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
Reply
post #2504 of 2640
Based on Steve's comments today, it does not sound like Blu-Ray in Macs is a revision or even two revisions away. This is a huge mistake IMO, what with a movie like Iron Man selling up to 20% of it's share on Blu-Ray. What happened to the Apple that used to be on the forefront of new technology, instead of "waiting until it takes off" before offering support. And Schiller's stupid comment about how iTunes offers all the best HD movies and tv shows was just aggravating. No Phil, you don't. Nobody wants to buy your shitty 4mbps "HD" video, and your selection is terrible.
post #2505 of 2640
Well I think Jobs showed that he wants to support Apple's delivery format. That's ok but the rest of the world likes a HD picture mainly on screens of 50" or better.

I think this will be a mistake and Apple will have BD drives in them 2 years from now ( my prediction ) after everyone else has gone that way.

It's not that I'm down on downloading it's just that in it's present form it has some shortcomings ( portability for one ).

BD on the other hand must keep trying to capture the market as I read recently that a company is planning on marketing music on chips like the memory stick in your camera. If they can do this with music it's only a matter of time before they can do it with HD video. I guess you can imagine : No moving parts, totally rewritable, and very ( almost to ) easy to store.
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
post #2506 of 2640
Contrary to popular opinion, Apple doesn't have any serious problem with BR's competition with downloads.

Their beef is with the onerous DRM that Blu-Ray requires them to embed deep into the core of Mac OS X.

The same DRM that many of us were saying would be BR's downfall YEARS ago.
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
Reply
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
Reply
post #2507 of 2640
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac View Post


I think this will be a mistake and Apple will have BD drives in them 2 years from now ( my prediction ) after everyone else has gone that way.

(my prediction)
In two years BluRay will be on its way out.
In fact its growth seems very slow already.



I was a big advocate of DVD. It was dramatically better than VHS. Because it was smaller. Picture quality was better and it was random access. CDs displaced vinyl for the same reasons.

But Sony did not succeed in displacing CDs with SACD, or Minidisk or anything else.
CDs have been displaced by the iPod & iTunes. Not because the quality is better. But because it makes it easier to get at your stuff.

For video there is a *better* technology emerging, I am using it. Keep all your content as files, sitting on a server. You can browse, play. Halt the first thing. Watch something else. Go back to the same play point. Watch the same library from any computer or streaming box.

No sleeves, no sliding disks into machines. No incredibly tedious menus.

Using a DVD now feels incredibly clunky in comparison. As old-fashioned as lowering a needle onto a record.

Good luck with Blu Ray, but the future of media is not in physical disks.

C.
post #2508 of 2640
Aside from the points you mention (and which we've discussed before), Blu-Ray now has a newer, bigger problem.

It's not green.

Pressing millions of disks, printing the inserts, plastic containers, shipping across the planet.
Inevitable, largely non-recycled wastage.

When you contrast that with the energy used in downloads, BR's footprint is an environmental catastrophe.

In our current economic and political climate, that's a problem.
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
Reply
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
Reply
post #2509 of 2640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

Contrary to popular opinion, Apple doesn't have any serious problem with BR's competition with downloads.

Their beef is with the onerous DRM that Blu-Ray requires them to embed deep into the core of Mac OS X.

The same DRM that many of us were saying would be BR's downfall YEARS ago.

Exactly Frank777... I don't see the incredulity in some people. I've said for years that Apple wasn't all that jazzed with Blu-ray (at least with it over HD DVD) but I got the "Apple's on the Blu-ray board). Now look almost a year removed from the demise of HD DVD...Apple appears in no hurry whatsoever to muck up OS X with DRM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carniphage View Post

(my prediction)

But Sony did not succeed in displacing CDs with SACD, or Minidisk or anything else.
CDs have been displaced by the iPod & iTunes. Not because the quality is better. But because it makes it easier to get at your stuff...

Using a DVD now feels incredibly clunky in comparison. As old-fashioned as lowering a needle onto a record.

Good luck with Blu Ray, but the future of media is not in physical disks.

C.

I agree. Sometimes I'm playing a DVD and a glitch happens and I get annoyed because I'm growing used to playing video off the HDD and I rarely come across glitches. Physical media is in its 11th hour. I knew Managed Copy wasn't going to happen with BD and HD DVD. I'm still going to buy a BD player but I expect that I'll stop buying movies in about 3 years and move to strictly downloads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

Aside from the points you mention (and which we've discussed before), Blu-Ray now has a newer, bigger problem.

It's not green.

Pressing millions of disks, printing the inserts, plastic containers, shipping across the planet.
Inevitable, largely non-recycled wastage.

When you contrast that with the energy used in downloads, BR's footprint is an environmental catastrophe.

In our current economic and political climate, that's a problem.

Look at the inroads that DIVX is making

http://gizmodo.com/5063056/warner-br...divx-downloads

And in the next few years we're going to see the nextgen of codecs hit. Perhaps
h.265 or some sort of wavelet compression. Tomorrow we're going to see
1080p quality encapulated in the datarates of today's 720p videos.

If Apple doesn't go to Blu-ray I don't really care. The BDA has pretty much screwed themselves.
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
Reply
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
Reply
post #2510 of 2640
Jobs particularly mentioned he didn't like the $30 licensing fee for BD plus the present high cost of the units.

murch, you're still sounding like sour-grapes regarding BD.
post #2511 of 2640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carniphage View Post

(my prediction)
In two years BluRay will be on its way out.
In fact its growth seems very slow already.



I was a big advocate of DVD. It was dramatically better than VHS. Because it was smaller. Picture quality was better and it was random access. CDs displaced vinyl for the same reasons.

But Sony did not succeed in displacing CDs with SACD, or Minidisk or anything else.
CDs have been displaced by the iPod & iTunes. Not because the quality is better. But because it makes it easier to get at your stuff.

For video there is a *better* technology emerging, I am using it. Keep all your content as files, sitting on a server. You can browse, play. Halt the first thing. Watch something else. Go back to the same play point. Watch the same library from any computer or streaming box.

No sleeves, no sliding disks into machines. No incredibly tedious menus.

Using a DVD now feels incredibly clunky in comparison. As old-fashioned as lowering a needle onto a record.

Good luck with Blu Ray, but the future of media is not in physical disks.

C.

Good luck downloading a HD movie that you can keep and take over to your friend's house to play ( or even loan to him/her ) without your friend having Apple TV or some other proprietary equipment the same as yours. Emerging is right! there's years worth of stuff to be figured out before hollywood will let you download HD movies, burn it to a disc or other medium, or even send it via the internet so you can share it with your friend the way you can with physical media right now. I mean people aren't likely to go for less convenience than they have now.

Also......

Are your movies on your server HD 1080p? If not they're obsolete. And where did you get them? I'm sure those studios would like to know.

Everytime I ask these questions no one seems to have an answer except " Movie studios will give in if they see the money they can make. Well that's not what they're saying right now or for the foreseeable future. When I bring up the question of bandwidth and HD movies clogging up the web they say : " We'll have a better internet then ". Well this is also years away because there's lots of fiber optic cable to be laid. Some say the web in it's current form is at the top of the traffic it can handle right now. Just imagine a few million people trying to download an HD movie at the same time!

But you say Apple has people downloading HD movies right now. How many are doing this? What if this was the main accepted format for home video?
Can you download this on to iTunes and take it with you over to your friend's house? Or would you have to download it ( and pay for it ) again over there?
In that scenero you would never truly own the movie like you would with physical media.

You can see the issues here.

I agree the downloading world would be pretty cool but there's a helluva lot of things to be worked out first.

Years worth.
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
post #2512 of 2640
As an independent filmmaker, I really need to have Blu-Ray burning capabilities. So I'm thinking about this 6x BD burner from MCE....

http://www.mcetech.com/blu-ray/
"The selfishness of Ayn Rand capitalism is the equivalent of intellectual masturbation -- satisfying in an ego-stroking way, but an ethical void when it comes to our commonly shared humanity."
Reply
"The selfishness of Ayn Rand capitalism is the equivalent of intellectual masturbation -- satisfying in an ego-stroking way, but an ethical void when it comes to our commonly shared humanity."
Reply
post #2513 of 2640
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

Good luck downloading a HD movie that you can keep and take over to your friend's house to play ( or even loan to him/her ) without your friend having Apple TV or some other proprietary equipment the same as yours. Emerging is right! there's years worth of stuff to be figured out before hollywood will let you download HD movies, burn it to a disc or other medium, or even send it via the internet so you can share it with your friend the way you can with physical media right now. I mean people aren't likely to go for less convenience than they have now.

Good luck taking a BluRay to your friend's house, when the don't have a BluRay player.
If they can play digital content - an 8GB thumb drive is plenty big enough. A pocket hard drive can hold lots of stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

Also......

Are your movies on your server HD 1080p? If not they're obsolete.

Why? Upscaled DVD looks nice. 720p looks better. 1080p - I can't actually tell the difference unless I sit within 6 feet of my 46" screen. Frankly I find the idea of myself and friends huddled around the TV a little strange.

The science on this is clear. You need a 90" screen (projector) to see the benefit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

And where did you get them? I'm sure those studios would like to know.

Most of my library is HD TV Shows, which were broadcast freely into the ether. Of course they want to make recording illegal now. My respect for the movie studios is similar to their respect for their customers. But I'd be happy to pay for content in the right way.

I do not want SuperAudio CD. I want my audio on iTunes.
I do not want BluRay. I want my video on digital. They need to figure out that physical media is for the last generation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

Everytime I ask these questions no one seems to have an answer except " Movie studios will give in if they see the money they can make. Well that's not what they're saying right now or for the foreseeable future. When I bring up the question of bandwidth and HD movies clogging up the web they say : " We'll have a better internet then ". Well this is also years away because there's lots of fiber optic cable to be laid. Some say the web in it's current form is at the top of the traffic it can handle right now. Just imagine a few million people trying to download an HD movie at the same time!

Somehow I think you are suggesting that getting a 5GB movie electronically is less efficient that driving to the mall and buying a manufactured piece of plastic, wrapped in another bit of plastic and burning more gas driving it back home again. Electronic distribution is good now. And yet in a couple of years will be even better.

If we look at Apple's HD TV rental. I can press RENT - and have the movie ready to play faster than finding a DVD and navigating the STUPID MENUS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

Can you download this on to iTunes and take it with you over to your friend's house? Or would you have to download it ( and pay for it ) again over there?

Hey, if it's his house, he can rent the movie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

In that scenero you would never truly own the movie like you would with physical media.

DRM is crap. The market is rejecting it.
BluRay is a great big ball of DRM - you don't own that either. I "own" a 2-300 Region 1 and Region 2 DVDs, but apparently I am not allowed to play BOTH region1 and region2 on my computers. You see according to the studios. I don't really own them in that way. When I paid for them, I was only granted certain rights.

You can see the issues here.

BluRay is the answer to the question:, "How do we sell the customers the same movies again?"
But it is the wrong answer and the wrong question.

As consumers of media, our needs are changing. The technology is here and getting better and better. The audience is already here with our credit cards out. We are already watching. We are already buying hardware.

What is needed is content providers to realize what is happening and sell content to this market instead of trying to shove an out-of-date idea at us.

C.
post #2514 of 2640
I still think we'll see Blu-ray drives in iMacs and Mac Pros within a year.

I cite these reasons:

1) Apple could easily pass on the licensing cost of Blu-ray technology on a per machine basis on their iMac and Mac Pro models.

2) Apple officially supports Blu-ray technology.

3) The next-generation iMacs and Mac Pros will sport GPU's that can easily decode h.264 video, and could easily include circuitry for HDCP support.

4) Unlike the new laptops, iMacs and Mac Pros don't have the power consumption and circuitry size restraints that preclude the use of an internal Blu-ray optical drive.

5) Because Internet Service Providers are starting to impose monthly download caps, that could hurt sales of HD videos through the iTunes Music Store.

6) HD video downloaded through iTMS are still vastly inferior in quality to the HD video found on a real Blu-ray disc.
post #2515 of 2640
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SactoMan01 View Post

I still think we'll see Blu-ray drives in iMacs and Mac Pros within a year.

I cite these reasons:

1) Apple could easily pass on the licensing cost of Blu-ray technology on a per machine basis on their iMac and Mac Pro models.

2) Apple officially supports Blu-ray technology.

3) The next-generation iMacs and Mac Pros will sport GPU's that can easily decode h.264 video, and could easily include circuitry for HDCP support.

4) Unlike the new laptops, iMacs and Mac Pros don't have the power consumption and circuitry size restraints that preclude the use of an internal Blu-ray optical drive.

5) Because Internet Service Providers are starting to impose monthly download caps, that could hurt sales of HD videos through the iTunes Music Store.

6) HD video downloaded through iTMS are still vastly inferior in quality to the HD video found on a real Blu-ray disc.

I agree on all counts. I'm wondering if the new iMacs that are to be refreshed soon will have internal Blu-ray drives? Hmmm......In all honesty, I don't think they'll get them. I'm thinking the Mac Pros will be the first to debut an interal Blu-ray drive.

I especially agree on 5 & 6. What a load of crap with the caps ISPs are thinking of imposing.
post #2516 of 2640
Quote:
Originally Posted by marzetta7 View Post

I agree on all counts.

Hopefully it will be anyday now. You've been agreeing on all those points for three years!
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
Reply
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
Reply
post #2517 of 2640
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

Hopefully it will be anyday now. You've been agreeing on all those points for three years!

Good gosh I hope so. Indeed, it has been a while. Hopefully Apple will be ready soon.
post #2518 of 2640
Quote:
Originally Posted by SactoMan01 View Post

5) Because Internet Service Providers are starting to impose monthly download caps, that could hurt sales of HD videos through the iTunes Music Store.

So you mean that there was no download limit before? Because in Europe we always had such a limit, essentially defeating the purpose of a high speed connection. There are some exceptions of course.
post #2519 of 2640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carniphage View Post

Good luck taking a BluRay to your friend's house, when the don't have a BluRay player.
If they can play digital content - an 8GB thumb drive is plenty big enough. A pocket hard drive can hold lots of stuff.



Why? Upscaled DVD looks nice. 720p looks better. 1080p - I can't actually tell the difference unless I sit within 6 feet of my 46" screen. Frankly I find the idea of myself and friends huddled around the TV a little strange.

The science on this is clear. You need a 90" screen (projector) to see the benefit.



Most of my library is HD TV Shows, which were broadcast freely into the ether. Of course they want to make recording illegal now. My respect for the movie studios is similar to their respect for their customers. But I'd be happy to pay for content in the right way.

I do not want SuperAudio CD. I want my audio on iTunes.
I do not want BluRay. I want my video on digital. They need to figure out that physical media is for the last generation.



Somehow I think you are suggesting that getting a 5GB movie electronically is less efficient that driving to the mall and buying a manufactured piece of plastic, wrapped in another bit of plastic and burning more gas driving it back home again. Electronic distribution is good now. And yet in a couple of years will be even better.

If we look at Apple's HD TV rental. I can press RENT - and have the movie ready to play faster than finding a DVD and navigating the STUPID MENUS.



Hey, if it's his house, he can rent the movie!



DRM is crap. The market is rejecting it.
BluRay is a great big ball of DRM - you don't own that either. I "own" a 2-300 Region 1 and Region 2 DVDs, but apparently I am not allowed to play BOTH region1 and region2 on my computers. You see according to the studios. I don't really own them in that way. When I paid for them, I was only granted certain rights.

You can see the issues here.

BluRay is the answer to the question:, "How do we sell the customers the same movies again?"
But it is the wrong answer and the wrong question.

As consumers of media, our needs are changing. The technology is here and getting better and better. The audience is already here with our credit cards out. We are already watching. We are already buying hardware.

What is needed is content providers to realize what is happening and sell content to this market instead of trying to shove an out-of-date idea at us.

C.

Ok you didn't answer the bandwith problem. Everyone say downloading the newest HD movie all at once will be a problem. You were talking as if this will be the primary way people view video in the future and the internet just doesn't have the infrastructure for this kind of traffic currently.

Also my friend is much more likely to have a BR player than he is to have a Apple TV device that he can play this on his new Big screen. Saying " he can rent " this isn't an answer. Renting isn't an answer either. Some people like to own the movie and watch it when they want without paying for it again and again.

Movie studios show no sign of giving in anytime soon. So if you would like I'll listen to your counter areguments but so far I haven't heard you come up with answers to support your contention.

Quote:
If we look at Apple's HD TV rental. I can press RENT - and have the movie ready to play faster than finding a DVD and navigating the STUPID MENUS.

How do you run this to a bigger screen than you can find on a computer? You know. Something everyone would have. Which isn't Apple TV. I'm not down on that it's just you have to supply justification for your argument. Expecting everyone will adopt Apple TV isn't a reasonable argument until more people are buying into it.

Without listing ways around this stuff a totally downloading future remains a long time off and for right now a pipe dream.
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
post #2520 of 2640
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

Ok you didn't answer the bandwith problem. Everyone say downloading the newest HD movie all at once will be a problem. You were talking as if this will be the primary way people view video in the future and the internet just doesn't have the infrastructure for this kind of traffic currently.

Downloads will be the primary way of getting movies in the near future.

I remember bandwidth being an issue when we had 2400, 9600 and 14400 modems.
Modems and connections eventually got fast enough to decimate the entire music industry.

Video will be no different. It will take time, but certainly not more than a decade.
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
Reply
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Blu-ray vs. HD DVD (2008)