or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Blu-ray vs. HD DVD (2008)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Blu-ray vs. HD DVD (2008) - Page 14

post #521 of 2640
Ya know? The whole game console pissing match is getting old. Can we stick to the whole BR vs. HD DVD thing and leave out the 360 unless you're talking about it with regard to HD DVD playback? Yeah, I'll bias toward the PS3 since all PS3's play Blu Ray.

For the record, I've got a Wii and a PS3 and they both get the same amount of play.

If there has to be a slugfest between PS3 and the 360, open a thread in General Discussion since it's not future hardware and isn't to do with Apple at all at any rate.
Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous Communist plot we have ever had to face? - Jack D. Ripper
Reply
Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous Communist plot we have ever had to face? - Jack D. Ripper
Reply
post #522 of 2640
Ok, last console related thing in this thread, since Elixir asked what space issues I was referring to.

Quote:
Rockstar's LA Noire won't release on Xbox 360 because Microsoft's console can't handle the sheer size of the game, a blog post on the game is claiming.

Surfer Girl Reviews also has a number of other titbits about the title in development at Team Bondi.

It says it'll be a free-roaming affair, presenting players with a historically accurate recreation of Los Angeles, 1947, with attention to detail going right down to ensuring in-game characters wear the appropriate clothing for the period.

On top of that, it's mentioned that a US Marine plays a key role in the LA Noire story and the game will feature side-missions based on actual cases of 1947.


LA Noire's previously been described as an "interactive detective story set in the classic noir period of the late 1940s". If the information in the blog is accurate, it'll be the first proper details we've had on the title.
post #523 of 2640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishyesque View Post

Ok, last console related thing in this thread, since Elixir asked what space issues I was referring to.

again, constant future examples. just like the ps3's killer library will only be sometime in the future

right now, RIGHT NOW, there is yet to be a game that needed bluray. a game like final fantasy would probably require multiple disks but thats as far as it would go.

bluray does not improve your actual gaming experience.

end of story.


edit: and when i look up La Noir this is what i got http://kotaku.com/340738/la-noire-co...-yes-of-course Jan 4th 2008

Quote:
Apparently, there's still a bit of confusion surrounding the "exclusivity" of Team Bondi's L.A. Noire, the 40's era detective thriller to be published under the Rockstar Games brand. We understand the confusion, to some degree, as the game in question was listed as being released only on the PlayStation 3 by Take-Two Interactive itself at one point. Then, just six-weeks later, the official PlayStation blog brought word of Team Bondi franchise exclusivity. In the blog's defense, it did write that L.A. Noire was not that franchise.

Still, when word popped up today that Bondi and company were looking for new hires, listing L.A. Noire for the Xbox 360 and PS3, we got tips. Tips we're quite grateful for, mind you. But given that Sony isn't shouting from the mountaintop, defending the honor of its console exclusive in this particular case, it's nothing to get worked up over. Team Bondi even lists "next generation consoles" as the platform, despite some claims that the game "definitely ain't coming to Xbox 360."

It's not coming out any time soon and we'll most likely have a clear console war champion by the time it does anyway. We'll have plenty of time to sort the whole thing out over the course of the year.


So where and when did you get your quote? i mean you're talking about a game years away, so far away that no one knows when its coming out nor for whom is it coming out for (if it is even exclusive at all).

developers know if they want to make money they have to bring the game to the 360. releasing a game souly for the ps3 is risky business in the current state of things.
post #524 of 2640
Amazon has another huge Blu-ray Disc sale. Close Encounters of the Thrid Kind is selling for $23.95!
post #525 of 2640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bancho View Post

Ya know? The whole game console pissing match is getting old. Can we stick to the whole BR vs. HD DVD thing and leave out the 360 unless you're talking about it with regard to HD DVD playback? Yeah, I'll bias toward the PS3 since all PS3's play Blu Ray.

For the record, I've got a Wii and a PS3 and they both get the same amount of play.

If there has to be a slugfest between PS3 and the 360, open a thread in General Discussion since it's not future hardware and isn't to do with Apple at all at any rate.

Could have said it better myself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleinsider vBulletin Message

You have been banned for the following reason:
Three personal attacks in one post. Congratulations.
Date the ban will be lifted:...
Reply
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleinsider vBulletin Message

You have been banned for the following reason:
Three personal attacks in one post. Congratulations.
Date the ban will be lifted:...
Reply
post #526 of 2640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bancho View Post

Ya know? The whole game console pissing match is getting old. Can we stick to the whole BR vs. HD DVD thing and leave out the 360 unless you're talking about it with regard to HD DVD playback? Yeah, I'll bias toward the PS3 since all PS3's play Blu Ray.

For the record, I've got a Wii and a PS3 and they both get the same amount of play.

If there has to be a slugfest between PS3 and the 360, open a thread in General Discussion since it's not future hardware and isn't to do with Apple at all at any rate.

Ya know the threads that have been running on this topic have managed to cover a fairly broad range of topics, and have always managed to get back on topic NATURALLY they dont need any dire warnings. I do have to laugh at the irony of "The whole game console pissing match is getting old."
the whole BD Vs HD-DVD pissing match HAS BEEN old for a while now, but still, with the help of going slightly OT, manages to remain as fresh as it can do.

If someone posts a relevant statement that another poster believes to be wrong or incorrect or just plain badly informed, isn't it part of the reason we are here "discussion" that posters can feel free to reply to that satement without being told not to?

If free discussion is not permitted, then please direct us to where thats stated in the forum guidelines on posting.
I don't see how an anti M$ stance can be seen as a bad thing on an Apple forum I really can't!

nagromme - According to Amazon: "SpongBob Typing Tutor" is outselling Windows
Reply
I don't see how an anti M$ stance can be seen as a bad thing on an Apple forum I really can't!

nagromme - According to Amazon: "SpongBob Typing Tutor" is outselling Windows
Reply
post #527 of 2640
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecking View Post

Could have said it better myself.

Why don't you then?
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
Reply
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
Reply
post #528 of 2640
I just watched Engadget's video interview with a Sony rep regarding BDLive, and besides the fact that they're only using it to pedal shit like ringtones (which didn't even work in his demo), their BDLive-capable players aren't going to be available until December

I guess anyone who wants to watch high definition movies, and actually be able to use the features on discs coming out this year, is just supposed to drop $400 on Sony's ugly-ass game console

Even with HD DVD pretty much out of the picture, Blu-Ray's going to have a tough year ahead of them if they can't 1.) get their freakin' moving target of a format nailed down and 2.) get their player prices down to a realistic level. The only way I'm blowing over $200 on a disc player is if it's dual format.
post #529 of 2640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Slocombe View Post

Ya know the threads that have been running on this topic have managed to cover a fairly broad range of topics, and have always managed to get back on topic NATURALLY they dont need any dire warnings. I do have to laugh at the irony of "The whole game console pissing match is getting old."
the whole BD Vs HD-DVD pissing match HAS BEEN old for a while now, but still, with the help of going slightly OT, manages to remain as fresh as it can do.

If someone posts a relevant statement that another poster believes to be wrong or incorrect or just plain badly informed, isn't it part of the reason we are here "discussion" that posters can feel free to reply to that satement without being told not to?

If free discussion is not permitted, then please direct us to where thats stated in the forum guidelines on posting.

It wasn't a dire warning of any sort. It's just that one slapfight was enough for this thread and since it had nothing to do with HD, since the 360 is crippled in this regard it seemed tiring to see the thread decay that way.

I think its nicer if we can segregate our arguments into neater categories.
Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous Communist plot we have ever had to face? - Jack D. Ripper
Reply
Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous Communist plot we have ever had to face? - Jack D. Ripper
Reply
post #530 of 2640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory Bauer View Post

I just watched Engadget's video interview with a Sony rep regarding BDLive, and besides the fact that they're only using it to pedal shit like ringtones (which didn't even work in his demo), their BDLive-capable players aren't going to be available until December

Their = Sony
JLL

95% percent of the boat is owned by Microsoft, but the 5% Apple controls happens to be the rudder!
Reply
JLL

95% percent of the boat is owned by Microsoft, but the 5% Apple controls happens to be the rudder!
Reply
post #531 of 2640
The rep actually says SUMMER 08 in the clip, not December.
post #532 of 2640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam'ron View Post

The rep actually says SUMMER 08 in the clip, not December.

yeah but, you know, he also thinks sony is a four letter word.

-

amazing that the rabid ones swooned and fell over because HD-DVD had ringtone sales "built in" but now its only "crap" like some of us have been saying all along.

I'm REALLY too lazy to go back and look, but it seems to me that certain parties keep saying "The only way I'm blowing over $xxx on a disc player is if it's dual format." but the xxx keeps getting lower and lower, leaving one with the impression that they just want to weep and moan, complaining about the fact they will "never" get one any way, no matter how low the price.

No wonder Warner switched.
I don't see how an anti M$ stance can be seen as a bad thing on an Apple forum I really can't!

nagromme - According to Amazon: "SpongBob Typing Tutor" is outselling Windows
Reply
I don't see how an anti M$ stance can be seen as a bad thing on an Apple forum I really can't!

nagromme - According to Amazon: "SpongBob Typing Tutor" is outselling Windows
Reply
post #533 of 2640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Slocombe View Post

yeah but, you know, he also thinks sony is a four letter word.

-

amazing that the rabid ones swooned and fell over because HD-DVD had ringtone sales "built in" but now its only "crap" like some of us have been saying all along.

I'm REALLY too lazy to go back and look, but it seems to me that certain parties keep saying "The only way I'm blowing over $xxx on a disc player is if it's dual format." but the xxx keeps getting lower and lower, leaving one with the impression that they just want to weep and moan, complaining about the fact they will "never" get one any way, no matter how low the price.

No wonder Warner switched.

You're mistaken, cowboy. I'm willing to spend as much as $500 on a dual-format player, which is what I intend to do this May. If I were to purchase a player which only plays one format, in that case I'm not willing to spend over $200. The frustrating part is that even today's $500 players won't be capable of using BDLive features, because they have no ethernet ports (except for the PS3 of course). If I misunderstood and the rep actually said Summer 08 instead of December 08, then that's very good news. Hopefully Sammy's dual-format players will be firmware-upgradeable to support BDLive.
post #534 of 2640



Look at how many Blu Ray vs. HD-DVD titles are in the top 10.


onlooker
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: parts unknown




http://www.apple.com/feedback/macpro.html
Reply
onlooker
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: parts unknown




http://www.apple.com/feedback/macpro.html
Reply
post #535 of 2640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishyesque View Post

I WANT TO POINT SOMETHING OUT. Blu-ray is important to the games.

Sorry, that's a complete load of crap.
Providing grist for the rumour mill since 2001.
Reply
Providing grist for the rumour mill since 2001.
Reply
post #536 of 2640
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlooker View Post

The 360 has not proven anywhere it has better graphical capabilities.

Actually it is well established (amongst developers) that the 360 has a superior GPU to the PS3. Not hugely better, but enough to be noteworthy. And the PS3 is harder to develop for, and that isn't a function of the MS developers being "second rate hacks".
Providing grist for the rumour mill since 2001.
Reply
Providing grist for the rumour mill since 2001.
Reply
post #537 of 2640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elixir View Post

what space issues? there is yet to be a game where the bluray drive was truly needed. did you not read the post where i quoted the developer from harmonix?

the new GTA is going to be a massive game and it had no problem getting exclusive content to the 360 that the ps3 will not have on launch. again, space is not an issue.

you know whats an issue? the insane load times the ps3 has. do you know what they did? i'm sure someone with a ps3 could tell ya. they make you download 5gb worth of an update to decrease the load times.

it seems like a lot of people in here are still stuck on initial launch sony pr spin. for example, a few posts above someone was touting the "true hd capabilities" of the ps3. yeah, remember when they said their games would be running 1080p? nope, nada. most of their games barely run native 720p for christ sakes! and usually they run on lower frame rates! 360 games have been running 60fps, while most ps3 games run 30fps.

i thought these things were already widely known by everyone. i'm guessing its just the type of crowd in this thread that doesnt really care or follow the industry....must be, all this stuff is out there if you look.


Yeah I noticed the lack of awareness of the PS3's less than impressive results as a gaming console around here as well. I think most people participating in these threads are approaching the HD format wars strictly from the viewpoint of data storage and movies. Which is fine since we all have our preferred ways of entertainment. I like mine a bit more interactive so I game more than watch movies. And I rarely watch tv shows for the same reason. (And my favorite leisure time activities are still working out at the gym or doing outdoor sports.)

I get a chuckle when people say Microsoft made a mistake not offering the HDDVD as an internal drive in the Xbox360. MOST people buy Xbox360s to GAME not watch movies. MS made the right decision. Now they will simply offer a Blu Ray add-on (they are already dropping hints that they will) for those who do want a Blu Ray player for a great price. You can rest assured the add-on will be cheaper than buying a PS3. But again, most Xbox users won't bother getting the add-on. They just rent an occasional flick from Xbox Live.

Most people buying PS3s are getting it to buy a well priced Blu Ray player. Most people who are buying Xbox 360s are getting it to game. Apples and oranges.

People have to realize that MS and Sony were obviously approaching their consoles differently. And the prices of the first PS3s turned out to be a major turnoff for gamers. The difficulty of coding games for it has also affected the games. They were supposed to look so much better but in the end developers coded for both consoles at the same time. They didn't focus on making a game look the best it can on the PS3. And guess what? Many of the games developed for both consoles actually look better on the Xbox360. (Most people aren't aware that the limits of even the Xbox360 haven't been reached.) Also, the lack of games is still an issue. Go to any Game Stop and compare the shelves of games available for each. I wonder what Sony and MS will do for their next consoles? What drives will they use? And how long will it take for gaming developers to get the hang of coding for a Blu Ray drive?
post #538 of 2640
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4metta View Post

Most people buying PS3s are getting it to buy a well priced Blu Ray player. Most people who are buying Xbox 360s are getting it to game. Apples and oranges.

Blasphemy!

I won't dispute what you're saying but this line in particular flies in the face of what the HD DVD devout were claiming. They're likely to burn you along with an effigy of Bill Hunt.



I *will* however dispute your mistaking coding for the PS3 (and any issues companies may be having adapting to it) and the fact that it's got a Blu Ray drive. They are mutually exclusive. Data is read from it the same as it is from any other optical disc. It's just a storage medium.
Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous Communist plot we have ever had to face? - Jack D. Ripper
Reply
Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous Communist plot we have ever had to face? - Jack D. Ripper
Reply
post #539 of 2640
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlooker View Post

All you have is it's hard to program for... That's because MS developers are second rate hacks. The 360 has not proven anywhere it has better graphical capabilities. The disc space thing... ?? How could that be debunked? Everybody knows the 360 Max size for game content is standard DVD so what 8, 9 GB's. Your the one who seems to be the fanboy. The big difference between the 360 and the PS3 is the system. THe PS3 system is starting to show why it's better. The 360 is the same platform that the original XBOX was. Developers didn't have to learn much of anything new when it came out because it was almost identical. The PS3 is a totally new system architecture. Some of the early games were not optimized for the system properly, but all the new ones are showing their superiority. Madden is a perfect example. It had it's spots where full optimization and even shadow casts were not achieved, but in the places developers understood how to do the programming it was technically superior. Time Shift. 360 version online barely moves from what I hear. once multiple players start shifting time the whole server is drained, and lags like it's dragging dead bodies. PS3's new CELL processors has not showed that problem one bit when I've played. What's this about UT3 sales? There are more active PS3 servers for this game than I have ever seen in a PC or Mac Version, and they also just finished making a change that allows user created MOD's on the console version. Where is that 360 version? Hardly...


Madden 08 runs better on the Xbox360. About double the framerates. Here's a cut and paster from Gamespot.com's review of the PS3version:

"One of the big points of contention about this year's Madden has been the difference in performance between the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 versions. It was announced some time ago that the 360 version would run at 60 frames a second, versus 30 on the PS3. When you compare the two games side by side, yes, there is a noticeable difference. The PS3 version is certainly choppier and slightly more prone to hitching up in-game than the 360 one. However, simply taken on its own merits, the PS3 version isn't suddenly awful because of this one issue. The choppiness rarely ever distracts you from the gameplay, and for the most part, the 30 frames a second number holds pretty steady. If you have a choice between the two, certainly the 360 version is the preferable one from a visual standpoint, but the PS3 version isn't unplayable by any means."


Can't comment on Timeshift since it received such poor ratings I did not bother to even try it.


As far as UT3...I will reserve judgement when the final Xbox360 product is out and then compare the two. It would be silly to do otherwise.
post #540 of 2640
Oh and since we are in the middle of console wars let me throw some gas into the flame by saying that PC gaming will STILL kick ANY console's ass so let's not get too proud of either console.
post #541 of 2640
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4metta View Post

Madden 08 runs better on the Xbox360. About double the framerates.

It should be pointed out that most games clamp to a fixed frame rate which is an even fraction of the TV's 60 Hz refresh rate. That means that if they could only achieve 59 fps then the game would run at 30. So Madden 08 running at 60 on Xbox360 and 30 on PS3 does not imply that the hardware is twice as fast, it just means that they couldn't coax the PS3 into maintaining a solid 60... it may have only been slightly slower.
Providing grist for the rumour mill since 2001.
Reply
Providing grist for the rumour mill since 2001.
Reply
post #542 of 2640
HEY. Until anything else has ANYTHING like Littlebigplanet, don't talk.
Oh man I'm excited for that game.

Yay for Infinity Ward! Showing that programming for the PS3 isn't that hard!

Anddddddd....
Timeshift is fun in my opinion. I like what they did with it.
post #543 of 2640
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4metta View Post

Madden 08 runs better on the Xbox360. About double the framerates. Here's a cut and paster from Gamespot.com's review of the PS3version:

"One of the big points of contention about this year's Madden has been the difference in performance between the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 versions. It was announced some time ago that the 360 version would run at 60 frames a second, versus 30 on the PS3. When you compare the two games side by side, yes, there is a noticeable difference. The PS3 version is certainly choppier and slightly more prone to hitching up in-game than the 360 one. However, simply taken on its own merits, the PS3 version isn't suddenly awful because of this one issue. The choppiness rarely ever distracts you from the gameplay, and for the most part, the 30 frames a second number holds pretty steady. If you have a choice between the two, certainly the 360 version is the preferable one from a visual standpoint, but the PS3 version isn't unplayable by any means."


Can't comment on Timeshift since it received such poor ratings I did not bother to even try it.


As far as UT3...I will reserve judgement when the final Xbox360 product is out and then compare the two. It would be silly to do otherwise.


Timeshift got poor ratings on the 360. That's the problem. If you play that game on the PS3 it's phenomenal! It's similar to the Prince of persia games only it's set in one possible future, one possible past, today, and it's a FPS. it's a great FPS IMO. You can cry me a river about how hard it is to develop the PS3, but obviously some developers don't have any problems getting it right, while others do. (MS fanboy 360 Developers)

Nothing new with madden. I already said madden played like shit on the PS3. It was made before the developers had a grip on the architecture. Your preaching to the choir.

The PS3 isn't harder to develop for. it's just a new architecture. Your a lazy developer if you don't like to learn new technology.
onlooker
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: parts unknown




http://www.apple.com/feedback/macpro.html
Reply
onlooker
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: parts unknown




http://www.apple.com/feedback/macpro.html
Reply
post #544 of 2640
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4metta View Post

Oh and since we are in the middle of console wars let me throw some gas into the flame by saying that PC gaming will STILL kick ANY console's ass so let's not get too proud of either console.

Not with a $400 PC...
post #545 of 2640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Programmer View Post

Actually it is well established (amongst developers) that the 360 has a superior GPU to the PS3. Not hugely better, but enough to be noteworthy. And the PS3 is harder to develop for, and that isn't a function of the MS developers being "second rate hacks".

something is generally only harder when you havent done it before.
I don't see how an anti M$ stance can be seen as a bad thing on an Apple forum I really can't!

nagromme - According to Amazon: "SpongBob Typing Tutor" is outselling Windows
Reply
I don't see how an anti M$ stance can be seen as a bad thing on an Apple forum I really can't!

nagromme - According to Amazon: "SpongBob Typing Tutor" is outselling Windows
Reply
post #546 of 2640
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4metta View Post

Most people buying PS3s are getting it to buy a well priced Blu Ray player.


sources? links?
I don't see how an anti M$ stance can be seen as a bad thing on an Apple forum I really can't!

nagromme - According to Amazon: "SpongBob Typing Tutor" is outselling Windows
Reply
I don't see how an anti M$ stance can be seen as a bad thing on an Apple forum I really can't!

nagromme - According to Amazon: "SpongBob Typing Tutor" is outselling Windows
Reply
post #547 of 2640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishyesque View Post

HEY. Until anything else has ANYTHING like Littlebigplanet, don't talk.

yeah, looks really cool IMO they should make it so its transportable onto the PSP so you can expand while mobile, I might have to buy a PSP if they do that though.

Have only recently got into the online part of GRAW2 (PS3) holy cow but that eats hours! then at 3am my internet connection unexpectedly went dead!!! I reluctantly went to bed, although this morning I think that was actually a GOOD thing.

I'm gonna have to clone myself or something, I just don't have the time I used to
I don't see how an anti M$ stance can be seen as a bad thing on an Apple forum I really can't!

nagromme - According to Amazon: "SpongBob Typing Tutor" is outselling Windows
Reply
I don't see how an anti M$ stance can be seen as a bad thing on an Apple forum I really can't!

nagromme - According to Amazon: "SpongBob Typing Tutor" is outselling Windows
Reply
post #548 of 2640
Toshiba responds. It's a pity they didn't do this before the Holiday season, they might have had a better chance.

However, I do need an upscaling player. I wonder if this will cause upscalers to drop even further by comparison?
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
Reply
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
Reply
post #549 of 2640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

Toshiba responds. It's a pity they didn't do this before the Holiday season, they might have had a better chance.

However, I do need an upscaling player. I wonder if this will cause upscalers to drop even further by comparison?

Going out of business sale! Everything must be sold! We will not be undersold!
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
Reply
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
Reply
post #550 of 2640
Quote:
Originally Posted by e1618978 View Post

Going out of business sale! Everything must be sold! We will not be undersold!

That was a quote from Toshiba's CEO as he grabbed his red stapler then proceeded to burn the whole place down.

On somewhat of a tangent, it seems that Sony has cut PS3 production costs down to about $400. That is a decent feat considering the blood they shed over the earlier versions. Apparently the 40 and 80 GB versions are much cheaper to produce (about half) what the first iterations did. With this in mind, Sony now seems to break even on the 40 GB and actually makes money on the 80 GB.
Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous Communist plot we have ever had to face? - Jack D. Ripper
Reply
Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous Communist plot we have ever had to face? - Jack D. Ripper
Reply
post #551 of 2640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Slocombe View Post

sources? links?


i dont have time right now to google it but all you have to do is compare the attach rate to the xbox 360 to see how little people owning a ps3 are buying games, and believe me the last time i checked it was miniscule in comparison.

oh, and i think its time to just ignore onlooker from this point on. he clearly just focuses on his own experiences with his machine and ignores everything else.

Timeshift was actually rated a little higher on the 360 lol.

http://www.metacritic.com/search/pro...t&ty=3&x=0&y=0


the game sucked on both platforms.
post #552 of 2640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elixir View Post

i dont have time right now to google it but all you have to do is compare the attach rate to the xbox 360 to see how little people owning a ps3 are buying games, and believe me the last time i checked it was miniscule in comparison.

oh, and i think its time to just ignore onlooker from this point on. he clearly just focuses on his own experiences with his machine and ignores everything else.

Timeshift was actually rated a little higher on the 360 lol.

http://www.metacritic.com/search/pro...t&ty=3&x=0&y=0


the game sucked on both platforms.

Oh c'mon Elixir, the HD DVD proponents were very insistent that people bought PS3's primarily for gaming (and, in fact, few realized it would even play Blu Ray movies). Now you say they buy them primarily to watch movies. This wrecks the whole attach rate argument. Honestly, why do you come here to create such controversy?

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous Communist plot we have ever had to face? - Jack D. Ripper
Reply
Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous Communist plot we have ever had to face? - Jack D. Ripper
Reply
post #553 of 2640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bancho View Post

Oh c'mon Elixir, the HD DVD proponents were very insistent that people bought PS3's primarily for gaming (and, in fact, few realized it would even play Blu Ray movies). Now you say they buy them primarily to watch movies. This wrecks the whole attach rate argument. Honestly, why do you come here to create such controversy?


haha, yeah. well i'm just going by the attach rates here. it could be that many ps3 owners are like onlooker, and have absolutely no idea what great gaming is taking place right now as he sits occasionally purchasing a title like TimeShift.

not to bring you down onlooker, i think its time you maybe take a look at whats out there = )
post #554 of 2640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

Toshiba responds. It's a pity they didn't do this before the Holiday season, they might have had a better chance.

However, I do need an upscaling player. I wonder if this will cause upscalers to drop even further by comparison?

Yeah, I think this past holiday was their only real chance to get a strong foothold in the format war, and they blew it by not having a $99 player for the entire season (instead, just one day). Since most consumers have little to no interest in paying more for high quality picture and sound, and because they don't want to be stuck with a dead format, selling them on the perspective that it's a DVD player which makes their regular DVDs look better — and also happens to play HD DVDs — is a smart move IMO. Too bad Toshiba didn't do it six months ago. I imagine Toshiba would have to sell a million players a month to make Warner even consider reconsidering their May '08 Blu-Ray exclusivity plan, and that's a highly unrealistic goal.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishyesque View Post

HEY. Until anything else has ANYTHING like Littlebigplanet, don't talk.

Littlebigplanet is the only PS3-exclusive title I've seen which impressed me from a visual standpoint. Everything else has appeared borderline-PS2 quality, or very textureless (which makes me wonder what they need that 50GB-per-disc of space for).
post #555 of 2640
Toshiba dropping the HD DVD player to $150 is a great thing. Let's face it nothing was logical about this battle.

Sony packing Blu-ray into game consoles despite there being no real need for 25GB games.

Studios tell us that they are drawn to the superiority of Blu-ray yet the spec still isn't finished even to the point of matching HD DVD.

Now with Toshiba able to sell players at $150 it's proof positive that the cheaper and more sensible solution (from a consumer standpoint) isn't going to survive because of politics.
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
Reply
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
Reply
post #556 of 2640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elixir View Post


the game sucked on both platforms.

The bias is sickening.

Did it suck? Is that fact?
Have you played it on both systems?
post #557 of 2640
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Toshiba dropping the HD DVD player to $150 is a great thing. Let's face it nothing was logical about this battle.

Sony packing Blu-ray into game consoles despite there being no real need for 25GB games.

Studios tell us that they are drawn to the superiority of Blu-ray yet the spec still isn't finished even to the point of matching HD DVD.

Now with Toshiba able to sell players at $150 it's proof positive that the cheaper and more sensible solution (from a consumer standpoint) isn't going to survive because of politics.


totally.

sony putting bluray in their ps3 had nothing more to do than trying to shove the format into peoples homes. thats all there is to it. i cant for the life of me understand how Sony's asinine PR spin works on so many people.

Fishy- how is it bias if i said it stunk on both systems? i played it on the 360, and i cant imagine it being any better on the ps3. even the reviews for the ps3 version were a notch down from the 360. why would i assume the game is any better? how retarded.
post #558 of 2640
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Now with Toshiba able to sell players at $150 it's proof positive that the cheaper and more sensible solution (from a consumer standpoint) isn't going to survive because of politics.

I think more appropriate phrasing would be "willing to' rather than "able to". Sony bled yen hard for a year and I think it shows, they are now selling their systems at a break-even and slight profit. Toshiba doing this now is more of an afterthought in hopes of poisoning the well. Toshiba could have been a lot more aggressive early on and they failed.

Based on the gaming portion of this thread "few people buy a PS3 for gaming". That flies in the face of the attach rate argument.

The businessweek article I read suggested that with the format war looking like it's ending, Sony would start actually touting the PS3 as an affordable BR player that also plays games.
Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous Communist plot we have ever had to face? - Jack D. Ripper
Reply
Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous Communist plot we have ever had to face? - Jack D. Ripper
Reply
post #559 of 2640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory Bauer View Post

Littlebigplanet is the only PS3-exclusive title I've seen which impressed me from a visual standpoint. Everything else has appeared borderline-PS2 quality, or very textureless (which makes me wonder what they need that 50GB-per-disc of space for).

A lot of it is for sound. For example, the commentary in MLB the show 08 is 10gb.

Sorry to come off as a jerk elixir, you can have an opinion, but don't act like it is fact. And you can't have an opinion on a game you haven't played.
post #560 of 2640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elixir View Post

totally.
Fishy- how is it bias if i said it stunk on both systems? i played it on the 360, and i cant imagine it being any better on the ps3. even the reviews for the ps3 version were a notch down from the 360. why would i assume the game is any better? how retarded.

Thanks for clarifying.
The way you said it made it seem like you hadn't played it.
How long did you play the game for?
And where are you getting your reviews from? Don't say gamespot.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Blu-ray vs. HD DVD (2008)