or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple marketing chief oversees successful UK iPhone launch (photos)

Apple marketing chief oversees successful UK iPhone launch (photos)

post #1 of 43
Senior Vice President of Worldwide Product Marketing, Phil Schiller, was among the Apple bigwigs who made the trip across the pond for yesterday evening's iPhone launch in the UK.

Schiller was on hand at company's flagship shop on Regent St. in London, as were several television media crews and what appeared to be approximately 300 Apple retail staffers, according to Felix Kunze, who was among the first to purchase one of the touch-screen handsets after they went on sale at 6:02 p.m. Friday evening.

Customers waiting in line ahead of time were treated to freebees from Starbucks (coffee and mince pies), The Cloud WiFi (24 hour free trial), T3, ZDNet , Griffin (rain coats), and O2 (bottled water).

Apple opened the floodgates at approximately 5:55 p.m. and began ushering customers out of the cold and into the toasty retail shop, announcing (video) along the way that it was waiving the no cash restriction -- but maintaining a 2 per person limit -- for Friday only.

The line (video) is reported to have moved swiftly and within minutes customers were walking away with their new iPhones, which come packaged in a retail box that slightly larger than the U.S. version in order to accommodate the larger power adaptor.

For his part, Schiller spent time in between interviews with CNN and other media networks mingling with shoppers and absorbing feedback on their early impressions. The Apple VP appeared particularly interested in Kunze's experience in activating the iPhone -- which he did in the store -- as well as his overall impressions of wireless carrier O2.

Customers and staffers flood Apple's flagship shop on Regent St.

Apple marketing chief Phil Schiller was on hand to address the media.

Approximately 300 staffers were on call to help customers.

Kunze said he managed to activate three iPhones within a half hour, all from a MacBook Pro notebook he had been toting. Presumably, Apple had gone through great lengths to assure that activation issues, which marred early iPhone experiences for some U.S. customers back in June, were not repeated in the UK.

"The buzz in the store was tangible and Apple did another great job at public relations on this launch. I am happy to have been there," Kunze said.
post #2 of 43
Schiller could sure stand to lose some weight... about 70 lbs.!

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #3 of 43
The activation was probably sped up because there are 240 million fewer people, hence fewer buyers, in the UK than in the US.
MacBook Pro C2D 2.4GHz and a battle-scarred PowerBook G4 1.33GHz

"When you gaze long into a dead pixel, the dead pixes gazes also into you"
MacBook Pro C2D 2.4GHz and a battle-scarred PowerBook G4 1.33GHz

"When you gaze long into a dead pixel, the dead pixes gazes also into you"
post #4 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

What an asinine comment to make, anywhere.
post #5 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

Actually your comment was asinine, for health reason he *needs* to lose that baggage. Looking at him reminded me I need to get back the gym actually. Even though I started back swimming last week :P

I think he may be trying to live up to the Woz a little too much
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #6 of 43
Quote:

As long as he is not doing the "Microsoft, Microsoft, Developers, Developers" dance, he can grow as fat as a whale, as long as he feels fine. And even then... it's pretty much up to him, don't you think?

I, non-smoker and vegetarian, just spent an entire evening in an Irish Pub with people smoking and eating roasted lamb... The worst enemy of mankind is whoever thinks he/she can tell other people what is allowed or forbidden - if he/she comes dressed as Jesus, Allah, Jehova or Ophra - does not really matter.

The iPhone is great and - being German - I would kill for the British conditions, as usual T-Moron f@cked it up to the degree possible. Let's wait for France to save old Europe as usual (even with that brown dwarf leading them now).

By the way - after Apple being notably absent from all European fares and events - this was at least a small and welcome gesture after all. It has been noticed.
post #7 of 43
Those "crowds" are deceiving since many of the body count standing around are those Apple mascots. There almost seems that there as many Apple people as potential purchasers.

I think the overseas intro of the iPhone is going to take some time for people to catch on. Hopefully there'll be some tipping point where you'll be an outcast if you don't have an iPhone.

Even lacking 3G or higher megapixel camera should not be a huge detriment to iPhone sales. It will probably be at least six months before an iPhone 2 is introduced with all the hardware goodies (3G, GPS, video recording).

The iPhone not being subsidized might be a problem for the masses. I don't see what's the big deal about the upfront cost of the iPhone. I just don't like the long-term contract.
post #8 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreyfus2 View Post

As long as he is not doing the "Microsoft, Microsoft, Developers, Developers" dance, he can grow as fat as a whale, as long as he feels fine. And even then... it's pretty much up to him, don't you think?

I, non-smoker and vegetarian, just spent an entire evening in an Irish Pub with people smoking and eating roasted lamb... The worst enemy of mankind is whoever thinks he/she can tell other people what is allowed or forbidden - if he/she comes dressed as Jesus, Allah, Jehova or Ophra - does not really matter.

The iPhone is great and - being German - I would kill for the British conditions, as usual T-Moron f@cked it up to the degree possible. Let's wait for France to save old Europe as usual (even with that brown dwarf leading them now).

By the way - after Apple being notably absent from all European fares and events - this was at least a small and welcome gesture after all. It has been noticed.

BROWN dwarf? Why is his color relevant?
post #9 of 43
Can we have our stock price back now?
post #10 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

BROWN dwarf? Why is his color relevant?

Being BROWN is synonymous for being a Nazi (reference to the brown shirts of the German SA under Hitler) - it was certainly not a racist remark and Sarkozy was rather pale the last time I looked...
post #11 of 43
Having been there I may say it was extremely well organised event!
post #12 of 43
Fat Americans. Fat, fat fatty. Schiller probably thinks he has no time for fitness and, as the world-wide (emphasis on wide) marketing head, he probably wines and dines almost every night. If he'd do a little regular fitness training, I have no doubt he'd soon realize he can't afford not to make time for it.
post #13 of 43
Quote:

What has that got to do with MS. Control your impulses dude. What are you "actually" talking about? He's overweight, lob-sided, and very likely somewhat-unhealthy as a result, and it was simply pointed out. End of story.
post #14 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedicivalvole View Post

Having been there I may say it was extremely well organised event!

Yeah it looked great actually, I wouldn't go there myself though if I lived in London, if only to avoid the stupid English media.
post #15 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Actually your comment was asinine, for health reason he *needs* to lose that baggage. Looking at him reminded me I need to get back the gym actually. Even though I started back swimming last week :P

It's not so simple. Having a little extra weight does add risk of certain illnesses and death, but it does reduce risks of other kinds. It looks like Phil might be in the "obese" category though.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/07/he...dJ+QPX5fbAh8Sw
http://www.nytimes.com/imagepages/20...T_GRAPHIC.html
post #16 of 43
Quote:

While he's in London, he should make a stop at Saville Row and get a waredrobe re-fresh too.
In a world of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
In a world of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
post #17 of 43
I won't comment on Phil's weight......it is sad though that the world's perception of us americans is that we are for the most part overweight and out of shape.......they sadly are correct.

I think he could have dressed a bit nicer.......even Steve looks good casually dressed.....Phil looks like a bum....I think that if he was there, knowing he would be interviewed, etc, he could have dressed a bit nicer and found a razor, etc.......he does not look casual, he looks dumpy. When I think Apple, I don't think dumpy.

Frank D.
He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose....
He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose....
post #18 of 43
I have to say that the show they put on at the Regent St. store is somewhat embarrassing. I was there two weeks ago for the Leopard launch. They have a large group of sales associates at the the front cheering people as they walk into the store. It reminds me of some images I've seen of the way that certain cults act when new members join. I don't think I'll repeat the experience.
post #19 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by night9hawk View Post

I have to say that the show they put on at the Regent St. store is somewhat embarrassing. I was there two weeks ago for the Leopard launch. They have a large group of sales associates at the the front cheering people as they walk into the store. It reminds me of some images I've seen of the way that certain cults act when new members join. I don't think I'll repeat the experience.

Yeah, but unlike cults, we all know it's fake bollox though. People in cults think the whole thing makes sense - Apple rarely makes sense
post #20 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I think he may be trying to live up to the Woz a little too much

Welcome to the 21st century where people complain about your honesty for pointing out they aren't making their health priority one.

This world is 60% obese and growing. It's feeding itself with processed crap and doping up on certified drugs to keep the pain receptors inhibited. This is a world feeding itself slowly to death.

It sure makes dating a much more painful dilemma. In my case, when women are ever expanding I switch to celibacy.
post #21 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foo2 View Post

Fat Americans. Fat, fat fatty. Schiller probably thinks he has no time for fitness and, as the world-wide (emphasis on wide) marketing head, he probably wines and dines almost every night. If he'd do a little regular fitness training, I have no doubt he'd soon realize he can't afford not to make time for it.

Fat isn't cool and as an American I welcome women from all cultures who put health first. I'm sure they exist, but it's getting harder to find; and combine that with women who continue to expand and feel they are owed a lavish lifestyle makes you wonder who raised them.
post #22 of 43
I was out in Cardiff when the doors opened, as I was heading to a party with some friends. Had no time to stop however () but I did get a glimpse of what was going on. On one street alone, we have 3 stores that sell the iPhone - two Carphone Warehouses, and an O2 shop (A CPW and O2 shop were two doors away from eachother ).

Anyway, they had these speakers playing music, and around 20 people outside each one. Also, they had the giant iPhone models.

They had created an atmosphere.

I'll go in and play with one sometime.
post #23 of 43
Those pics look like half Apple employees, then a lot of press and not many people actually getting one. If they want to do well they need to advertise it a lot better, and get the system working better (one of my friends hasn't been able to activate his yet.)
post #24 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Welcome to the 21st century where people complain about your honesty for pointing out they aren't making their health priority one.

This world is 60% obese and growing. It's feeding itself with processed crap and doping up on certified drugs to keep the pain receptors inhibited. This is a world feeding itself slowly to death.

It sure makes dating a much more painful dilemma. In my case, when women are ever expanding I switch to celibacy.

You need to come to South East Asia/ Taiwan/ etc. Some women here are still like twigs!! And they luv the white man.
There. no politico correctoness from me.
post #25 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post

Those "crowds" are deceiving since many of the body count standing around are those Apple mascots. There almost seems that there as many Apple people as potential purchasers.

I think the overseas intro of the iPhone is going to take some time for people to catch on. Hopefully there'll be some tipping point where you'll be an outcast if you don't have an iPhone.

Even lacking 3G or higher megapixel camera should not be a huge detriment to iPhone sales. It will probably be at least six months before an iPhone 2 is introduced with all the hardware goodies (3G, GPS, video recording).

The iPhone not being subsidized might be a problem for the masses. I don't see what's the big deal about the upfront cost of the iPhone. I just don't like the long-term contract.

In Asia, the market for unlocked iPhones is a decent one in and of itself. 3G, better camera, boom! Done deal when the official launch happens. If you think Macs are starting to gain momentum this side of the world, well... just wait.
post #26 of 43
I would have had the iphone activated in 10mins, however I objected to paying o2 an extra £100 deposit. My friend had the same issue and nether of us has ever had to put down a deposit on a mobile contract before. We even tried doing the whole activation process again with diffrent details, but this just seemed to cause problems with iTunes. In the end we just copitulated and payed up, but were not happy and there was a point where we just felt like taking them back and letting Apple know about o2's issues. Any one else with similar experance?
post #27 of 43
The atmosphere at the Trafford Center in Manchester was great too. The Apple guys and gals really did a great job to make the long wait a worth while experience. My iPhone activated within minutes and I'm loving it. EDGE is quicker than I expected, I don't know what all the fuss was about it not being on 3G, it's not like 3G is that much faster. I love the way you hook up to Cloud WiFi as soon as you get within range, you don't have to mess about with config settings or anything. You get near a hotspot and 'pop' you're on!

All the iPhone needs is to be able to send files by Bluetooth and it would be faultless in my book.
post #28 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stashman View Post

I would have had the iphone activated in 10mins, however I objected to paying o2 an extra £100 deposit. My friend had the same issue and nether of us has ever had to put down a deposit on a mobile contract before. We even tried doing the whole activation process again with diffrent details, but this just seemed to cause problems with iTunes. In the end we just copitulated and payed up, but were not happy and there was a point where we just felt like taking them back and letting Apple know about o2's issues. Any one else with similar experance?

Did you not pass the credit check or something?
post #29 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuBeck View Post

Those pics look like half Apple employees, then a lot of press and not many people actually getting one. If they want to do well they need to advertise it a lot better, and get the system working better (one of my friends hasn't been able to activate his yet.)

You have to actually go to the Regent St. store to understand how BIG it is. The picture you're referring to is just showing the entrance to the store, not the area at the back of the store or the upstairs area. When I attended the Leopard launch there several weeks ago they had the same sort of crowd near the front of the store. The Leopard software was actually being sold upstairs and the queue for it was rather long. I was probably in the first 100 people to get into the store but I wasn't interested in getting the software-I get my OS software via ADC-but I was interested in attending this sort of event in a large city store. I sat through the first 20 minutes of the Leopard presentation-it was pretty hard to sit through the endless references to "amazing" features like transparent menu bars-and then I walked around the store to see how well the software was selling. That's when I saw the queue over in the software section getting their Leopard software.

I would imagine they had the same sort of queue upstairs in the iPod section.
post #30 of 43
Counterpoint from the Register (who else!)

"Tumbleweeds outnumber punters, as iPhone's First Night flops"

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/11/11/iphone_uk_flop/
post #31 of 43
Quote:

You have to actually go to the Regent St. store to understand how BIG it is. The picture you're referring to is just showing the entrance to the store, not the area at the back of the store or the upstairs area. When I attended the Leopard launch there several weeks ago they had the same sort of crowd near the front of the store. The Leopard software was actually being sold upstairs and the queue for it was rather long. I was probably in the first 100 people to get into the store but I wasn't interested in getting the software-I get my OS software via ADC-but I was interested in attending this sort of event in a large city store. I sat through the first 20 minutes of the Leopard presentation-it was pretty hard to sit through the endless references to "amazing" features like transparent menu bars-and then I walked around the store to see how well the software was selling. That's when I saw the queue over in the software section getting their Leopard software.

I would imagine they had the same sort of queue upstairs in the iPod section.

I have been there (I live in Surrey.) I know how big it is. Its actually retarded because it is the exact same layout as the store in Rochester NY but about 8 times larger. There is the exact same amount of product in both stores.

If it really was like that I am wondering why they didn't post the pictures from it. I wasn't there, so I don't have any first hand experience, but it doesn't look like the amazing launch they claim. I'm looking forward to hearing the numbers from them though.
post #32 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuBeck View Post

I have been there (I live in Surrey.) I know how big it is. Its actually retarded because it is the exact same layout as the store in Rochester NY but about 8 times larger. There is the exact same amount of product in both stores.

If it really was like that I am wondering why they didn't post the pictures from it. I wasn't there, so I don't have any first hand experience, but it doesn't look like the amazing launch they claim. I'm looking forward to hearing the numbers from them though.

I didn't get the feeling it was going to be as big of a launch as it was in the USA. I had my iPhone when I was in the UK and I thought I would elicit more questions and comments from people when I was out and about since I used the phone to take notes and pictures. (I'm not wealthy enough to try roaming with my US iPhone!) The only person who actually seemed interested in it was a man I met outside the Regent St. Apple store the last night I was in town. He expressed a mild interest in it and liked the features I demonstrated for him but felt that EDGE was a bit to slow. So I'm not surprised to see that there were a lot of tire kickers but not as many buyers last Friday night.
post #33 of 43
Quote:

I, non-smoker and vegetarian, just spent an entire evening in an Irish Pub with people smoking

I'm all for people doing anything that affects only them - eating, drinking (if you don't become a violent idiot when drunk), drugs, breakdancing, smoking in private, etc. I'd hate to restrict people's ability to do those things. Conversely, when people do things that do affect other people, and do it with no regard to the other people, they can shut up and quit moaning when it is banned.

As a Brit going abroad, I've always found British style pubs an embarrassment that only attracts the pig-headed "need my pie and mash" crowd who don't want to experience the local life. Are Irish pubs the same, or are they bars selling Guinness and maybe Harp, with a countdown timer to St Patrick's Day on the wall, a few green shamrocks around the place and "traditional" Irish music on in the background? Just wondering what makes a bar abroad an Irish pub...
post #34 of 43
I didn't pass the credit check because my address wasn't in the Royal Mail database, therefore was asked to pay another £100. Cheeky buggers. I returned the phone within half an hour.
Next month maybe.
post #35 of 43
Quote:

I didn't get the feeling it was going to be as big of a launch as it was in the USA. I had my iPhone when I was in the UK and I thought I would elicit more questions and comments from people when I was out and about since I used the phone to take notes and pictures. (I'm not wealthy enough to try roaming with my US iPhone!) The only person who actually seemed interested in it was a man I met outside the Regent St. Apple store the last night I was in town. He expressed a mild interest in it and liked the features I demonstrated for him but felt that EDGE was a bit to slow. So I'm not surprised to see that there were a lot of tire kickers but not as many buyers last Friday night.

Yeah, its not that big of a deal here because so many more people have smart phones. I could get a smartphone for free with a £15 a month plan. That is basically my point. People seem to think that just because of the retardation in the states everyone else is going to want it the same way. Sure it will do fine, but its not going to sell a million by the end of the year.

Whats funny is I get tons of positive responses about my zune here.
post #36 of 43
Quote:

The worst enemy of mankind is whoever thinks he/she can tell other people what is allowed or forbidden - if he/she comes dressed as Jesus, Allah, Jehova or Ophra - does not really matter.

And what if he/she comes dressed in jeans and a black turtleneck telling us they we are not allowed to put purchased iTunes songs on OPP, or other applications or carriers on our iPhone. Both are not allowed and forbidden.
post #37 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hattig View Post

As a Brit going abroad, I've always found British style pubs an embarrassment that only attracts the pig-headed "need my pie and mash" crowd who don't want to experience the local life. Are Irish pubs the same, or are they bars selling Guinness and maybe Harp, with a countdown timer to St Patrick's Day on the wall, a few green shamrocks around the place and "traditional" Irish music on in the background? Just wondering what makes a bar abroad an Irish pub...

With you totally.

The irony of an Irish theme pub abroad is you're not allowed to smoke in Ireland. They had the no smoking ban in years before the UK. It was a refreshing change when I was there a few years back to not come out of a pub smelling like an ashtray.
post #38 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hattig View Post

Well, there are definitely different kinds of "Irish Pubs" here as well. At least in Frankfurt we are lucky to have two of them that are somewhat original (if that standard exists)... and several others. I assume that is mainly because foreign students, airliners and expats make up for a large percentage of the guests. Of course - it's a picture postcard version of a real pub where the furniture is really old and does not only look old... etc. At least they have an authentic food collection, Guinness not being ice cold, nice breakfast, soccer, rugby and cricket on satellite TV, several original bands (at least during fares and exhibitions) - and they make enough money to afford having a separate smoking bar (which is always full), while the rest of the pub and the tea room are usually empty At least a great alternative to ice cold and sweet German thin beer and German pop music
My judgement about what is "original" is somewhat ancient though - if have been to Galway as a student - 22 years ago...
post #39 of 43
Just to get back on topic.

More counterpoint...

http://www.dialaphone.co.uk/blog/?p=750
post #40 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

Shareholders have every right to expect better from the officers of their company. With a CEO who is recovering from cancer, you would think that the rest of the executive team would make sure to put heath as #1 - because the company could fold if too many of them die at once.

And also, his clothing was an embarrassment - shareholders have a right to expect better from their chief marketing officer.
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple marketing chief oversees successful UK iPhone launch (photos)