or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Anyone else think the Printcenter should be pataly in the System Prefs?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Anyone else think the Printcenter should be pataly in the System Prefs?

post #1 of 10
Thread Starter 
I think the print center should act like the software update. Have the app kinda spit into 2 parts. one in the system prefs were you setect your defalt printer and setup printers. And a second part that is the print monitor. That would make a lot more sence.

Peaople that have never used computers are going to go strait to the system prefs to selct a printer. Most people do not even know what the print center is.
post #2 of 10
I think that would seem logical too...


We need better drivers, too. My HP Photosmart 1000 in 9 works like a charm, is incredibly fast, responsive, etc. In X, using the latest drivers, it's buggy, slow, and renders the system almost unusable during printing.
post #3 of 10
I agree, actually. Same with Internet Connect, what's up with that? I also think that Image Capture, since it's integrated with the OS and more of an automatic thing than a true application is, should have its preferences integrated into the system's--in fact I think it seems a bit confusing and illogical to have it as a separate app. Or maybe not, I don't know.

OS X still has a lot of organizing and maturing to do, when it comes to that sort of thing. If you remember System 7, the separate control panels were so stupid. There were like 5 or more control panels just for networking! It took them until OS 9 to get it even close to logical.
art may imitate life, but life imitates tv.
Reply
art may imitate life, but life imitates tv.
Reply
post #4 of 10
Actually, I think the idea would be to have almost all of your prefs and settings from all of your apps available in the System Preferences Panes. Perhaps through tabs, perhaps just custom-named divisions to ge thing under control (not just some huge junk-drawer of icons).

But your point about Software Update being available here and also being an app is the right kind of structure to use: choosing and changing settings would in some cases open the app in question, and close it when done.
post #5 of 10
[quote]Originally posted by BuonRotto:
<strong>Actually, I think the idea would be to have almost all of your prefs and settings from all of your apps available in the System Preferences Panes.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Dear God No.

System Preferences shouldn't be for Application Preferences. Sorta like the new menu structure: System &gt; Application &gt; Document. You wouldn't expect to see Word Preferences in the Apple menu, would you?
post #6 of 10
Thread Starter 
[quote]Originally posted by bradbower:
<strong>I agree, actually. Same with Internet Connect, what's up with that? I also think that Image Capture, since it's integrated with the OS and more of an automatic thing than a true application is, should have its preferences integrated into the system's--in fact I think it seems a bit confusing and illogical to have it as a separate app. Or maybe not, I don't know.

OS X still has a lot of organizing and maturing to do, when it comes to that sort of thing. If you remember System 7, the separate control panels were so stupid. There were like 5 or more control panels just for networking! It took them until OS 9 to get it even close to logical.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I sort of agree with you on internect conect. But not at all on image capture. image capture is not a a system pref. At all. it is an app for gettting images onto your computer.

Anyway we will not have to deal with img acpture for long. I smell iPhoto in the distance
post #7 of 10
You're absolutely right about Mac OS X's control panels being just as disorgranised at System 7's were, bradbower. OS 8 helped things a little, but there was a lot of consolidation in 8.5 and 9 that made sense of things.

Apple's approach right now is to let single applications handle everything related to certain tasksiTunes for music, Print Center for printers, Image Capture for digital cameras, etc. It really would make sense to move printing and camera prefs to the system panel, though. QuickTime already has.

It seems to me that any options related to hardware should be in System Preferences.
I'm not going anywhere.
Reply
I'm not going anywhere.
Reply
post #8 of 10
*Ahem*

Sorry, hasty post. I was thinking about all those apps cluttering the Utilities folder now, either third party or Apple-supplied, not all apps. Then it would really be out of control (I can imagine tabs in that case stacking up like in Windows)! I sort of left out a critical word or two.

post #9 of 10
Thread Starter 
[quote]Originally posted by Daver:
<strong>You're absolutely right about Mac OS X's control panels being just as disorgranised at System 7's were, bradbower. OS 8 helped things a little, but there was a lot of consolidation in 8.5 and 9 that made sense of things.

Apple's approach right now is to let single applications handle everything related to certain tasksiTunes for music, Print Center for printers, Image Capture for digital cameras, etc. It really would make sense to move printing and camera prefs to the system panel, though. QuickTime already has.

It seems to me that any options related to hardware should be in System Preferences.</strong><hr></blockquote>


That is a really bad idea. The system prefs is for SYSTEM Prefs. Not just Prefs. it is a good idea for each app to have it's own prefs. and have the system have it own set of prefs. It is stupid that QuickTime is in the system prefs. It is an app. If every app hade is
t prefs in the system prefs there would be so many things is would just be way to confusing.

The only reson I think the printer selecting part of the print center should be in the system prefs is beacuse it IS a system pref. Image capture is not. It is a app pref. I would be for there being a pref were you could chose what app to launch when a digital cmaera was pluged in etc. Just like you pick wich browser to luach when you click a link. But you should not have the actual img caputre prefs in the SYSTEm prefs.
post #10 of 10
[quote]Originally posted by Michaelm8000:
<strong>


That is a really bad idea. The system prefs is for SYSTEM Prefs. Not just Prefs. it is a good idea for each app to have it's own prefs. and have the system have it own set of prefs. It is stupid that QuickTime is in the system prefs. It is an app. If every app hade is
t prefs in the system prefs there would be so many things is would just be way to confusing.

The only reson I think the printer selecting part of the print center should be in the system prefs is beacuse it IS a system pref. Image capture is not. It is a app pref. I would be for there being a pref were you could chose what app to launch when a digital cmaera was pluged in etc. Just like you pick wich browser to luach when you click a link. But you should not have the actual img caputre prefs in the SYSTEm prefs.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I agree that application preferences should not be included in system preferences. They definitely do not belong there.

When I said that Image Capture and Print Center prefs should be in the system preferences panel, I only meant options like default printer selection, what happens when you plug a camera in, and things like that. All of these are preferences concerning the operating's system's direct dealings with your hardware. Likewise, preferences for your graphics card, etc. should be controlled from the system preferences panel. After all, it is where we control screen brightness, mouse speed, keyboard layouts and the like.
I'm not going anywhere.
Reply
I'm not going anywhere.
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Anyone else think the Printcenter should be pataly in the System Prefs?