or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Apple releases Mac OS X 10.4.11 Update for Tiger users
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple releases Mac OS X 10.4.11 Update for Tiger users

post #1 of 56
Thread Starter 
Apple on Wednesday finally released Mac OS X 10.4.11 Update, which is recommended for all users running versions of Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger. The update includes general operating system fixes that enhance the stability, compatibility and security of your Mac, the company says.

The update is available as a 128MB download for Intel Macs and a 67.9MB download for PowerPC Macs which are running Mac OS X 10.4.10.

Apple has also made Mac OS X 10.4.11 available in "Combo" updater form for users running earlier versions of the Tiger operating system. These distributions are available as a 321.5MB download for Intel Macs running Mac OS X 10.4.4 or later and a 180.8MB download for Power PC Macs running Mac OS X 10.4 or later.

Apple warns that users of the update may experience unexpected results if they have third-party system software modifications installed, or if they've modified the operating system through other means.

Mac OS X 10.4.11 bundles 39 security fixes and the following modifications:

post #2 of 56
I don't give a rotten Apple about 10.4.11...I want 10.5.1!!!
post #3 of 56
Does any one know if Tiger also gets the "Move Bug" fix?
Just say no to MacMall.  They don't honor their promotions and won't respond to customer inquiries.  There are better retailers out there.
Reply
Just say no to MacMall.  They don't honor their promotions and won't respond to customer inquiries.  There are better retailers out there.
Reply
post #4 of 56
It's a good move. It shows Apple cares somewhat.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #5 of 56
Improved iSync compatibility anyone?

/Adrian
post #6 of 56
Just installed it, it seems a little snappier, maybe thats just me...
MacBook Pro 17" Glossy 2.93GHz, iPad 64GB, iPhone 4 16GB, and a lot of other assorted goodies.

If you're a troll and you have been slain. Don't be a Zombie.
Reply
MacBook Pro 17" Glossy 2.93GHz, iPad 64GB, iPhone 4 16GB, and a lot of other assorted goodies.

If you're a troll and you have been slain. Don't be a Zombie.
Reply
post #7 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by CREB View Post

I don't give a rotten Apple about 10.4.11...I want 10.5.1!!!

I think you will do when you see that it includes the final version of Safari 3. They would well have forced us to upgrade to Leopard to get that, I'm quite pleased with Apple for doing Safari 3 for Tiger.
post #8 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsNly View Post

Just installed it, it seems a little snappier, maybe thats just me...

You are snappy?
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #9 of 56
And I just redid our company's Intel Tiger NetBoot Image today. Crap

There were a lot of people on the forums having trouble creating compatible Tiger Intel Netboot Images for the Santa Rosa Chipsets (new MBPs, Aluminum iMacs, and the very latest MacBooks) because the 10.4.10 image didn't contain the necessary Santa Rosa boot info (obv, since the chipsets were integrated in Macs after the 10.4.10 revision came out).

Surrounded by the blank blue screens of machines that failed to netboot I felt like I was an MCSE surrounded by Dells and banginging my head on my Ghost config =P

Well now that problem is solved. One day late. Pooh. Looks like it's the old Restore --> Update --> Image --> Netboot dance again tomorrow . Joy.
post #10 of 56
Whither the server update?

In our desire to impose form on the world we have lost the capacity to see the form that is there;
and in that lies not liberation but alienation, the cutting off from things as they really are. --...

Reply

In our desire to impose form on the world we have lost the capacity to see the form that is there;
and in that lies not liberation but alienation, the cutting off from things as they really are. --...

Reply
post #11 of 56
nice to get safari 3

however it seems to break pith helmet

i considered using pacifist to install the latest version for safari 3
the installer for pith helmet won't do it because it says the version of safari that ships with 10.4.11 is not compatible with the version of pith helmet that's designed for safari 3 BETA and 10.4.


anyone solved this yet?
post #12 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

You are snappy?

OoO, I'm more than snappy Ireland
MacBook Pro 17" Glossy 2.93GHz, iPad 64GB, iPhone 4 16GB, and a lot of other assorted goodies.

If you're a troll and you have been slain. Don't be a Zombie.
Reply
MacBook Pro 17" Glossy 2.93GHz, iPad 64GB, iPhone 4 16GB, and a lot of other assorted goodies.

If you're a troll and you have been slain. Don't be a Zombie.
Reply
post #13 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsesvak View Post

There were a lot of people on the forums having trouble creating compatible Tiger Intel Netboot Images for the Santa Rosa Chipsets (new MBPs, Aluminum iMacs, and the very latest MacBooks) because the 10.4.10 image didn't contain the necessary Santa Rosa boot info (obv, since the chipsets were integrated in Macs after the 10.4.10 revision came out).

Well now that problem is solved. One day late. Pooh. Looks like it's the old Restore --> Update --> Image --> Netboot dance again tomorrow . Joy.

From what I can tell, 10.4.11 does NOT include the drivers to any of the Santa Rosa hardware...
post #14 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by razorpit View Post

Does any one know if Tiger also gets the "Move Bug" fix?

It has not been established that Tiger ever had the bug to begin with. Yet another case of people jumping to conclusions. MacFixit staff were not able to duplicate the bug in Tiger. I have not been able to reproduce it on my own system either. Some insist that it exists. I have not personally seen it mentioned in any Tiger forums recently.
post #15 of 56
What a crappy app. I keep trying to install it on my leopard machine and it keeps giving me an error.
post #16 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsNly View Post

OoO, I'm more than snappy Ireland

happy. joy joy.
post #17 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by telverston View Post

nice to get safari 3

however it seems to break pith helmet

i considered using pacifist to install the latest version for safari 3
the installer for pith helmet won't do it because it says the version of safari that ships with 10.4.11 is not compatible with the version of pith helmet that's designed for safari 3 BETA and 10.4.


anyone solved this yet?

Unless Pith Helmet adapts the new WebKit plugin spec I doubt you'll get it to ever work.
post #18 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by hugodrax View Post

What a crappy app. I keep trying to install it on my leopard machine and it keeps giving me an error.

You....are kidding....right?





Right?
post #19 of 56
Just installed it, and it feels like Safari is snappier and when resizing the finder and Safari windows appears quicker, or I should say the window stays with the cursor when resizing better... or I could be seeing things..
"An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest."
"Those who would give up essential liberties to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither." -Ben Franklin
Reply
"An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest."
"Those who would give up essential liberties to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither." -Ben Franklin
Reply
post #20 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Unless Pith Helmet adapts the new WebKit plugin spec I doubt you'll get it to ever work.


it seems you are right
i tried using pacifist to install - which ran - but didn't load when safari launched
says it was not loaded as a precaution - better than crashing and not telling you why

it's a shame that i'm going to have to look at flash ads for two more days till i get leopard

amazing how used to pithhelmet i've become

sigh
post #21 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

It has not been established that Tiger ever had the bug to begin with. Yet another case of people jumping to conclusions. MacFixit staff were not able to duplicate the bug in Tiger. I have not been able to reproduce it on my own system either. Some insist that it exists. I have not personally seen it mentioned in any Tiger forums recently.

Sorry, I'm just going from what was reported in a previous AI report.

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...ss_issues.html

Personally I can't imagine this bug ever occurring in something as far back as Windows 3.1 let alone OS X but it appears some people have experienced it.

--Dave
Just say no to MacMall.  They don't honor their promotions and won't respond to customer inquiries.  There are better retailers out there.
Reply
Just say no to MacMall.  They don't honor their promotions and won't respond to customer inquiries.  There are better retailers out there.
Reply
post #22 of 56
I'm running Leopard right now, but on an external drive i've got Tiger, so I switched over and did the update and I can definitely notice the little speed increase. And it's running off of USB to my mini
But now I'm back in Leopard, nothing beats leopard.
I haven't had any bugs whatsoever with leopard, been running it for 2 weeks now.
Mac Mini 1.83Ghz Core 2 Duo with 2GB RAM, 80GB HD+160GB External HD
Running Mac OS 10.5 Leopard


Upgrade Your Mini Yourself!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreyfus2

All wrong. Avon perfumes...
Reply
Mac Mini 1.83Ghz Core 2 Duo with 2GB RAM, 80GB HD+160GB External HD
Running Mac OS 10.5 Leopard


Upgrade Your Mini Yourself!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreyfus2

All wrong. Avon perfumes...
Reply
post #23 of 56
"Various issues with certain Apple Dashboard widgets like Unit Converter, Calculator, and Stocks are also addressed in Mac OS X 10.4.11."

My Stocks and Weather widgets are now broken - can't retrieve any data. These are Apple-supplied widgets.

As noted by others, PithHelmet is broken for now, but they usually come up with a fix soon after a Safari update - hope they do. As a substitute, SafariBlock seems to be working okay...
post #24 of 56
Well done! Now lets wait for 10.5.1
post #25 of 56
After upgrading to 10.4.11 my Weather and Stock widgets have also bailed. I had the Safari 3 beta installed prior to the update but I doubt that's the cause. I can click the city name in the widget and open the weather page in Safari. Other widgets like Radar in Motion, iStat and my BART Widget are fine.

Other than this one issue the update has been fine so far.
Download BARTsmart BART Widget, the best BART schedule widget for Mac OS X's Dashboard.
Reply
Download BARTsmart BART Widget, the best BART schedule widget for Mac OS X's Dashboard.
Reply
post #26 of 56
I upgraded to 10.4.11, now Photoshop and Illustrator crash right after finished loading, no error no warnings!!!

*FIXED* by rebooting mac os, strange.. BUT it's working now
post #27 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by hugodrax View Post

What a crappy app. I keep trying to install it on my leopard machine and it keeps giving me an error.

haha Good one
post #28 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xool View Post

After upgrading to 10.4.11 my Weather and Stock widgets have also bailed. I had the Safari 3 beta installed prior to the update but I doubt that's the cause. I can click the city name in the widget and open the weather page in Safari. Other widgets like Radar in Motion, iStat and my BART Widget are fine.

Other than this one issue the update has been fine so far.

My (Intel) upgrade yesterday evening from 10.4.10 to 10.4.11 went OK (just in case anyone's worried). As usual, a long wait to reboot.

I've been unhappy with Safari 3.0.3's stability (crashes) and forgetfulness of saved log-ons and passwords after restarts (either of Safair or the OS due to memory fragmentation). So far, no crashes. It still forgets logons and passwords that Safari 2 remembered.
post #29 of 56
This update killed my mac. It won't start back up and is stuck on the grey screen that pops up on boot with the little "spinning circle" action going. Left it like that for about an hour - no change. Shutdown (manually) and waited about 30 minutes to reboot - same thing.

I won't lose any critical data, but my wife did not backup to the NAS, so if this require fresh install, she's in trouble.
post #30 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkovach View Post

This update killed my mac. It won't start back up and is stuck on the grey screen that pops up on boot with the little "spinning circle" action going. Left it like that for about an hour - no change. Shutdown (manually) and waited about 30 minutes to reboot - same thing.

I won't lose any critical data, but my wife did not backup to the NAS, so if this require fresh install, she's in trouble.

Try unpluging any USB devices. I know OS X tends to do this same thing to me if I leave my iPod plugged in during a reboot.
post #31 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkovach View Post

This update killed my mac. It won't start back up and is stuck on the grey screen that pops up on boot with the little "spinning circle" action going. Left it like that for about an hour - no change. Shutdown (manually) and waited about 30 minutes to reboot - same thing.

I won't lose any critical data, but my wife did not backup to the NAS, so if this require fresh install, she's in trouble.

You can archive & install, preserving users and settings, then run the combo update, and you won'y lose any apps, prefs, or data.

Do what you will, but harm none.

Reply

Do what you will, but harm none.

Reply
post #32 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris v View Post

You can archive & install, preserving users and settings, then run the combo update, and you won'y lose any apps, prefs, or data.

I cannot get target disk mode or my systems disks to load. The computer freezes after about 10 sec of gray spinny thing on startup. Now what. I have a 1.25 Ghz mini (G4). Anyone else? Lots of other post have variations of the problems shown here. The fixes are all using startup disks with Terminal or Target Disk Mode. Not going to do it in my case....
post #33 of 56
OMG! Did this update really fix my iCal problem??? The icon no longer bounces after I close an alarm!
post #34 of 56
I'm so pleased Apple gave us old timers some love... Tiger is running great on my 12" iBook w/ 1.2 GHz, and 768 ram. Safari is definitely improved.. refreshing brings you right back where you were, vs. the top of the page. It is handling ram leakage better, but not great. Thanks to MemoryCell for keeping me up to speed regarding any app's ram usage. It is snappier all around. One little side note, but I've noticed that if I put in the zip code vs. the city's name, I get much more accurate results in the weather widget, at least with previous versions of OS X. Also if the startup takes too much time I always do another reboot, and it'll boot up right quick.
post #35 of 56
So far so good. No problems for me. Sorry to hear that others are having issues.

Will now give Safari another look.
post #36 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by wettej01 View Post

From what I can tell, 10.4.11 does NOT include the drivers to any of the Santa Rosa hardware...

I think you're right: I'm finding that the updated 10.4.11 NetBoot Image I'm creating is kernel panicing non-Santa Rosa machines, but working fine on the SR. Is anyone able to verify this? Or has anyone gotten a 10.4.11 NetBoot to work on these chipsets? Thanks.
post #37 of 56
To anyone working on NetBooting 10.4.11 on the Santa Rosa chipset, I've started a thread here at Apple's DIscussion Board:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread....4123&stqc=true

Thanks.
post #38 of 56
updated with no issues (that I can find) seems snappier and safari 3 seems more stable, I was previously using 2 and it kept falling over for some reason.
I don't see how an anti M$ stance can be seen as a bad thing on an Apple forum I really can't!

nagromme - According to Amazon: "SpongBob Typing Tutor" is outselling Windows
Reply
I don't see how an anti M$ stance can be seen as a bad thing on an Apple forum I really can't!

nagromme - According to Amazon: "SpongBob Typing Tutor" is outselling Windows
Reply
post #39 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by hugodrax View Post

I keep trying to install it on my leopard machine and it keeps giving me an error.

Be thankful that the upgrade software detected your mistake.
Mac user since August 1983.
Reply
Mac user since August 1983.
Reply
post #40 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

OMG! Did this update really fix my iCal problem??? The icon no longer bounces after I close an alarm!

No, I was mistaken.....nevermind.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Apple releases Mac OS X 10.4.11 Update for Tiger users