or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › What casues "big screen startup?"

What casues "big screen startup?"

post #1 of 12
I had a probelm with Winblows when I used it and now it is the same thing in OSX. Sometimes, my Compaq would start up, and the stuff on the screen would be "blown up" to where it was about 4X too big for my screen and I could not do anything and I just restarted.

Now, lo and behold, it is happening in OSX. I did not have htis occur in Classic, as far as I can remember (Haven't booted into classic since 10.1). It has had "big startup screen" twice today. It is fine with the beachball in the upper left and the happy mac in the middle of the screen, but then when you get the blue "X" icon with the progress bar below indiciating all the stuff startin up, that gets blown up real big and fills up the whole right side of the screen, and it stays big when it is done starting up. All I can do is to "ctrl-openapple-power" and restart, and it is fine.

Is there a reason for this? Is there a preventative measure? It is no biggie really, just an annoyance, but something I hated with my Winblows experieance and I hate to see it here on my Mac now.

Any suggestions?
post #2 of 12
Anyone? It happened again...
post #3 of 12
I have no idea why this would happen on an iBook... If it was a CRT I'd recommend setting the screen size at various resolutions, however with an LCD I have no clue.
Soyons réalistes, Demandons l'impossible.
Soyons réalistes, Demandons l'impossible.
post #4 of 12
zapping the pram can't hurt

and maybe trashing the display settings/prefs.
post #5 of 12
What is "zapping the pram?" BTW I just started up and it happened again, so that is 4 times in about 36 hours.
post #6 of 12
OK, bear with me, I know I sound like a novice, which I kinda am, but live and learn, and all of you were novices too so excuse my ignorance. Well I found out that the iBook is starting up at 640x480 as opposed to 800x600 so those of you with an iBook simialr to mine can click on that resolution to see the problem. Now that I know the problem I should be able to fix it without restarting, but it is still annoying. Any way to prevent this 100%?
post #7 of 12
[quote]Originally posted by Horned_Frog:
<strong>OK, bear with me, I know I sound like a novice, which I kinda am, but live and learn, and all of you were novices too so excuse my ignorance. Well I found out that the iBook is starting up at 640x480 as opposed to 800x600 so those of you with an iBook simialr to mine can click on that resolution to see the problem. Now that I know the problem I should be able to fix it without restarting, but it is still annoying. Any way to prevent this 100%?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yep, We've all been novices. I feel like one all over again when I use OS X, it's awesome. Anyway, I have the same model ibook, with 128MB Ram for a few more days. I haven't had this problem yet, but I won't be running 10.1 or greater until tomorrow (long story).

I think this could be some corruption in a system file maybe a display pref. The first solution attempt is zapping the PRAM, which means holding cmd+option+p+r while you restart until you hear the startup chime a second time, or you can use micromat's tech tool to do it for you.

If that doesn't work, consider completely reinstalling your system software. I see you have a burner, so backing up your data should be easy. I would really recommend reformating your Hard Drive and reinstalling everything.

Hope this helps, if not consider emailing Brett Larson at brett@techtv.com. He's Call for Help's mac guy.
post #8 of 12
I know it happens to me sometimes in 9 when I mess with the monitor settings or something and the system crashes and I have to restart. It starts up at 800x600 then goes back to default resolution.

Sounds like you machine is remembering the screen size right away. Maybe try trashing the display/monitor prefs as stated earlier.
All Your PCs Are Belong To Trash
All Your PCs Are Belong To Trash
post #9 of 12
How do I trash the Prefs? I know, I know, I should get an OSX book...but I want one that is up-to-date as well as when we have a more useable OS (though I HATE booting into 9...I just LOVE X even though it is a little slower than 9), so I will probably wait until one comes out for at least 10.2.
I just trashed everything and reinstalled a few weeks ago so I cannot believe that would be it. Like I said it is NBD but still annoying. I have not had it happen since my last post so maybe it is over.

Merry Christmas.
post #10 of 12
This is a known bug with first-generation (300-466MHz) iBooks. Several iBook owners and myself have spoken to Apple about it. There is no fix, unfortunately.
post #11 of 12
[quote]Originally posted by M.:
<strong>This is a known bug with first-generation (300-466MHz) iBooks. Several iBook owners and myself have spoken to Apple about it. There is no fix, unfortunately.</strong><hr></blockquote>

That sucks...like I said the same thing used to happen with a Compaq I used to have runnig Win95. Kinda sucks.

post #12 of 12
I have 10.1.2 and OS9.1 on my 2000 PB, and I had this happen to me this past weekend. Using the control strip/monitors CP didn't fix it, but restarting and resetting the PRAM did: opt-cmd-P-R

I don't usually run OS9 as it resets my linux bootstrap partition, so I don't know if this is going to be a recurring thing. I'd be suprised if the PRAM reset didn't fix it.

Hope this helps.

--Mike
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › What casues "big screen startup?"