or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › Best way to move from Outlook to Mail/iCal?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Best way to move from Outlook to Mail/iCal?

post #1 of 12
Thread Starter 
Hey,

What's the best way to move my email/calendar from Windows' Outlook to OS X's Mail/iCal?

Thanks.
post #2 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by lirand View Post

Hey,

What's the best way to move my email/calendar from Windows' Outlook to OS X's Mail/iCal?

Thanks.

That's difficult enough I can't even get into it here. I don't know how many contacts you have, but unless you have hundreds, it's easier just to rebuild the listings from scratch.
Apple Product Professional
Apple Certified Macintosh Technician
Reply
Apple Product Professional
Apple Certified Macintosh Technician
Reply
post #3 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karelia View Post

That's difficult enough I can't even get into it here. I don't know how many contacts you have, but unless you have hundreds, it's easier just to rebuild the listings from scratch.

I never wanted to import contacts... i just wanted to import mail and calendar events
post #4 of 12
If Outlook can export the mailboxes as "mbox" files, then Apple Mail can import the mbox files from a folder they were put in.

iCal can import both .vcs and .ics files for calendar events.
--Johnny
Reply
--Johnny
Reply
post #5 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by lundy View Post

If Outlook can export the mailboxes as "mbox" files, then Apple Mail can import the mbox files from a folder they were put in.

iCal can import both .vcs and .ics files for calendar events.

Although there is some variation between the way Outlook handles recurring events and the way iCal does. Gave me a little bit of a problem when I went from my Mac to my PC, so I can only assume that it might the other way as well. Anyone know for sure?
Crentist?! That sounds an awful lot like *dentist.*
Maybe thats why he wanted to be a dentist!
Reply
Crentist?! That sounds an awful lot like *dentist.*
Maybe thats why he wanted to be a dentist!
Reply
post #6 of 12
I sync my outlook express (but it could be outlook as well) on my PC to my MBP's iCal with Plaxo (free for the basic stuff), and it works fine (though the alarms don't transfer so far). And lundy's info on exporting via mbox works fine from the PC to Mail as well. Also, one could import from outlook (mail) to PC Thunderbird, then you can have Thunderbird on your Mac and import from that as well if you're into convoluted methods (but it will work).
"I used to be disgusted, but now I try to be amused."
Macbook Pro 2.2
Reply
"I used to be disgusted, but now I try to be amused."
Macbook Pro 2.2
Reply
post #7 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by lirand View Post

Hey,

What's the best way to move my email/calendar from Windows' Outlook to OS X's Mail/iCal?

Thanks.

http://www.littlemachines.com/
post #8 of 12
Thread Starter 
OK, I got the Calendar/Contacts thing done (with Plaxo - Very simple).

Now how do I move my Outlook mail into OS X's mail?

Little Machines cost money...
post #9 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by lirand View Post

OK, I got the Calendar/Contacts thing done (with Plaxo - Very simple).

Now how do I move my Outlook mail into OS X's mail?

Little Machines cost money...

I guarantee the ten bucks you pay for it will be worth it. You cannot do it any other way that have seen and not spend less than an hour at the keyboard. Paying myself for that time back was well worth it.

Buy it, start it up and have a beer. Maybe go to bed if you have enough messages. I had a 9000 message archive box that took about 15 hours to port over. You see the rainbow cursor and what looks like a hung progress bar, but it's doin' it's thing, including ensuring you don't get dupes. A 3000 message box took about 4 hours and a 1000 message box was about 90 minutes.

I should say if you have a a small mailbox and archives you can just IMAP them all on the server into Mail, but if you can't one shot that you will spend forever trying to copy mailboxes over and deal with massive dupes when Outlook refuses to copy a whole folder over because of some inconsequential "corruption" that isn't even there.
.
Reply
.
Reply
post #10 of 12
Thread Starter 
It turns out that O2M doesn't support Hebrew text (the support rep told me himself)

Does anyone have any other solutions for me to use?
post #11 of 12
I used POImport, a free utility from Poco Systems. It will export your Outlook mail to .mbx files.
post #12 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galley View Post

I used POImport, a free utility from Poco Systems. It will export your Outlook mail to .mbx files.

This thing crashes whenever I run it! I can't finish an import...

Any other suggestions?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Genius Bar
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › Best way to move from Outlook to Mail/iCal?