or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › how to make the menu bar disappear?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

how to make the menu bar disappear?

post #1 of 12
Thread Starter 
I want to get rid of the menu bar at the top of the screen.
I'd like it to go away like the dock does when not in use.

Please tell me this is ridiculously easy.
post #2 of 12
Yes, this is very easy : You have nothing to do, because it's impossible
post #3 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoc View Post

Yes, this is very easy : You have nothing to do, because it's impossible

Hard, maybe. But impossible? I think not. There is very little that can't be done with hacksies.
post #4 of 12
I made the asumption that the poster is using Leopard. Haxies do not work on Leopard for now.

But you're right, when using Tiger this is possible, using menufela. I tried this one time. My Tiger became really unstable until I removed it.
post #5 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoc View Post

I made the asumption that the poster is using Leopard. Haxies do not work on Leopard for now. But you're right, when using Tiger this is possible, using menufela. I tried this one time. My Tiger became really unstable until I removed it.

True.
post #6 of 12
Thread Starter 
I am using leopard... sigh.

but thanx all.
post #7 of 12
You know, since apple wants to "showcase your wallpaper" they should have just had the menubar hide and quickly appear with mouse over. Makes a hella lot more sense than that fugly monstrosity they made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox

Being an Apple basher means you never, ever have to acknowledge success.
Reply
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox

Being an Apple basher means you never, ever have to acknowledge success.
Reply
post #8 of 12
Please don't do that. It's a Mac. It's supposed to have the main menu bar at the top of the screen so you can tell which application is frontmost. It has been like this for 23 years.
--Johnny
Reply
--Johnny
Reply
post #9 of 12
I want to get rid of the steering wheel in my car.

Please tell me this is ridiculously easy.
post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by trevorlsciact View Post

You know, since apple wants to "showcase your wallpaper" they should have just had the menubar hide and quickly appear with mouse over. Makes a hella lot more sense than that fugly monstrosity they made.

Sorry but I'll take functionality over how pretty it looks. If it can be made to look nice at the same time without sacrificing function, that's great.

My brain looks funny. Let's put glitter on it and make it into a perfectly square shape because it looks better that way! (NO!)
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by lundy View Post

Please don't do that. It's a Mac. It's supposed to have the main menu bar at the top of the screen so you can tell which application is frontmost. It has been like this for 23 years.

Shouldn't you be able to tell that by which window is active?
post #12 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by tecton View Post

I want to get rid of the menu bar at the top of the screen.
I'd like it to go away like the dock does when not in use.

Please tell me this is ridiculously easy.


Apple should've included in Leopard's Preferences a simple way to make the Menu Bar behave like the Dock, with respect to hiding. That would've been a cool feature. I'm surprised that Apple didn't, because one of the selling points of the new Leopard Menu Bar is the ability to now see your Desktop wallpaper behind the Menu Bar. What better way to offer a truly full screen view of your Desktop wallpaper than to include Dock-like hiding behavior of the Menu Bar?

In Tiger, up to 10.4.10, I knew of a way to do something very similar to what you asked. After the 10.4.11 update, one part of the process (removing the shadow from the Menu Bar) using a program called DeskShade, no longer works. The 10.4.11 update broke a few programs and/or programs' functions, such as TransparentDock. To still do something similar, which might also work in Leopard, you can use a program called MenuShade to make the Menu Bar (except the Menu Bar shadow) invisible.


Instructions

Download and install MenuShade

http://www.nullriver.com/index/products

Open MenuShade and set the MenuShade Preferences the same as this screenshot

MenuShade Preferences



When you drag the mouse cursor over the Menu Bar area, the Menu Bar appears; when the mouse cursor isn't over the Menu Bar area, the Menu Bar is invisible. When the Menu Bar is invisible, the Title bar of a window can't be dragged above where the Menu Bar is.

Menu Bar when mouse cursor is over Menu Bar area



Menu Bar when mouse cursor isn't over Menu Bar area



I don't like the MenuShade icon. I use a transparent icon instead.

MenuShade icon and transparent icon



Click to expand screenshot of Desktop

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › how to make the menu bar disappear?