or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Steve Jobs to headline Macworld San Francisco 2008

Steve Jobs to headline Macworld San Francisco 2008

post #1 of 74
IDG World Expo officially announced Monday that Apple chief executive Steve Jobs will deliver the opening keynote address for next year's Macworld Conference & Expo.

Macworld will be held at San Francisco's Moscone Convention Center January 14-18, 2008, and the keynote address will be held on Tuesday, January 15, 2008 at 9:00 a.m. at Moscone West.

Among the product introductions expected at the conference is an ultra-thin and lightweight sub-notebook from Apple, which AppleInsider has detailed on several occasions (1, 2, 3).

"This is one of the biggest Mac community gatherings of the year and Steves keynote is always the most anticipated event of the week," said Mary Dolaher, CEO of IDG World Expo. "We're looking forward to a great show and are thrilled that Steve will once again be kicking it off."

Macworld Conference and Expo 2008 will host creative professionals from a cross-section of industries including design, print, online, photography, broadcast, videography and music.

In addition to an exhibit floor featuring over 350 companies, the event will offer a conference with over 120 educational sessions, and a set of exhibit floor attractions including a free training series, an interactive Digital Photography area and live Music and Sound product demonstrations.

Event highlights, conference agenda and registration information are available on the Macworld Conference & Expo Web site.
post #2 of 74
I am hoping for the most impressive keynote ever. But then reality set in.
onlooker

http://www.apple.com/feedback/macpro.html
onlooker

post #3 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlooker View Post

I am hoping for the most impressive keynote ever. But then reality set in.

Haha Amen to that.
post #4 of 74
Let's hope it is the "most anticipated event of the week" this year.
post #5 of 74
The iPhone and iPod Touch are now here, which means that it should be a lot more Mac-specific than last year. I was a bit disappointed that last year's keynote was solely about the iPhone and nothing else.
post #6 of 74
Just give me MacPro. I am tired of waiting!

But I think AppleTV 2.0, same iPhone with new apps and 16gig version and finally the ultra-portable. That's all.
MacPro 12 core
30" & 23" Apple Cinema HD Displays
PowerBook G4 550, MacBook Pro 2.2
Ipod 1G and 5G, Shuffle 2G, iPhone 3G
MacPro 12 core
30" & 23" Apple Cinema HD Displays
PowerBook G4 550, MacBook Pro 2.2
Ipod 1G and 5G, Shuffle 2G, iPhone 3G
post #7 of 74
As a Mac user and long-time poster to sites like this, I must reveal my credentials to one and all . . . and avow my disappointment with everything Apple has ever done. Ever. Truly. The hardware products aren't good enough or cheap enough. The software products aren't comprehensive enough or updated fast enough. Steve's keynote addresses aren't focused enough or broad enough. The stock price is not high enough or low enough.

There. Am I one of the great unwashed Mac Masses now? Gawd, but I hope so, 'cause every time I have a positive thought about AAPL or the company's future, I feel SO VERY DIRTY. Mea culpa. Mea culpa.
post #8 of 74
Breaking news! Steve Jobs at MacWorld.

Slow news day?
post #9 of 74
Surely Steve will demo some apps for the iPhone built with the yet-to-be SDK.
post #10 of 74
I wonder what he will wear???????????
post #11 of 74
There's really nothing I'm looking forward to at this year's MWSF - I'm sad to say.

iPhone - Steve'll probably talk about the SDK and show off some apps. *shrug* While good for "the industry", it's just not a product niche I care about. Is it time for a new product iteration?

Macs - Faster Intel chips. Yay. Yawn. It's nice if you need a new machine, but it's just the steady march of CPU speed. I don't know of any "breakthrough" things on the CPU side. New Mac mini?

Portables - the ultra-portable may be cool for some. I just bought a MacBook and got a MacBook Pro from work. I'm out of that market for a few years.

Keeping in mind that MWSF tends to be very "consumer" oriented, I doubt we'll hear much about Apple's pro level apps.

OS - I'm sure Steve will crow about Leopard, how well it's selling, and all the new features. I'm hoping he shows off a few more "deeper" features - like Core Animation. Something along the lines of "Leopard has this great technology under the hood and is letting developers write amazing software like this..."

But there's just nothing I know of now that I'm eagerly anticipating.

- Jasen.
post #12 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shookster View Post

The iPhone and iPod Touch are now here, which means that it should be a lot more Mac-specific than last year. I was a bit disappointed that last year's keynote was solely about the iPhone and nothing else.

You're right, the AppleTV wasn't mentioned in the '07 keynote. Though it was very iPhone-heavy.

I think people expect too much from the keynotes. There's always something good, but the hype level is so high that it's not funny, which usually leads to a let-down for those that are expecting things that don't happen.
post #13 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonon View Post

Breaking news! Steve Jobs at MacWorld.

Quote:
Originally Posted by artiss View Post

WAIT, WAIT!!! The spirits are talking to me...telling me...telling me...yes, YES!

There will be Apple products at MacWorld!

Oh my god, stop the presses!!!!!
"Too much of a good thing is great." Mae West
post #14 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by gugy View Post

Just give me MacPro. I am tired of waiting!

Ditto.
post #15 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shookster View Post

Well, because of that 'disappointing' time Steve spent on the iPhone last year, AAPL jumped 20 points while he was speaking, and in the next 8 months doubled in value, along with a corresponding in market share.

Keep in mind that even the most 'pro' level Mac user benefits by Apple increasing mind/market share. Cross marketing in consumer electronics is largely responsible for that.
In short, no Apple, no improvement in 'pro' line. PC-only companies are going the way of buggy-whips.

Speaking as both a long-time Mac user and AAPL shareholder, he can announce an iVibrator as far as I'm concerned, as long as it makes Apple grow market share overall.
post #16 of 74
xmac xmac xmac
post #17 of 74
Quote:

this is a good one
post #18 of 74
Let the completely unrealistic predictions begin! \

And if you can't beat 'em, join 'em. So here are mine:

Mac Pro 90% certain.
13" slightly-more-portable MBP. NOT an ultra-portable.
And as always, no tablet, and no xMac.

Prove me wrong, Apple; prove me wrong.

-Clive
My Mod: G4 Cube + Atom 330 CPU + Wiimote = Ultimate HTPC!
(Might I recommend the Libertarian Party as a good compromise between the equally terrible "DnR"?)
(Might I recommend the Libertarian Party as a good compromise between the equally terrible "DnR"?)
post #19 of 74
If I was there for the keynote, I'd throw a minitower case up on stage, and yell, "FILL IT, Steve!!!".

Yeah, I know, I know... security would toss me. Still would be so worth it.

Cut-copy-paste, MMS, landscape keyboard, video-recording, voice-calling, and more... FINALLY
To the 'We Didn't Need It' Crowd/Apple Apologista Squad : Wrong again, lol
Thanks for listening to your...
Cut-copy-paste, MMS, landscape keyboard, video-recording, voice-calling, and more... FINALLY
To the 'We Didn't Need It' Crowd/Apple Apologista Squad : Wrong again, lol
Thanks for listening to your...
post #20 of 74
Quote:

He'll wear a tasteful wreath composed of garlic cloves to keep the vampires away.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #21 of 74
I expect XServe RAID all SATA.
post #22 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by donebylee View Post

WAIT, WAIT!!! The spirits are talking to me...telling me...telling me...yes, YES!

There will be Apple products at MacWorld!

Oh my god, stop the presses!!!!!

No, you got it backwards man! START the presses!!
Hard-Core.
Hard-Core.
post #23 of 74
I don't get it, who is this Steve Jobs guy?
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #24 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by suhail View Post

xmac xmac xmac

The word is XMAS
post #25 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBaggins View Post

If I was there for the keynote, I'd throw a minitower case up on stage, and yell, "FILL IT, Steve!!!".

I WOULD PAY TO SEE THAT!!!!!!!!!!

hahahahahaha you just made my day

Cheers!
post #26 of 74
Quote:

Yeah, I know, I know... security would toss me. Still would be so worth it. .

Of course, getting into Moscone Center with an empty mini tower case would no problem at all.
"Why, Mr. Security Man, whatever do you want to search me for? That's just my snack bucket, honest."
post #27 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

The word is XMAS

LOL!!!
post #28 of 74
I'm feeling pessimistic so I'm going to predict all the worst things that can happen so that I can be proven wrong hopefully.

iChat for the iPhone with the usual backstage chat with Phil...and all of Europe will sigh a huge 'meh' because it doesn't do msn and is therefore completely pointless, still, not that it matters as the iPhone still won't be 3G.

Steve will unveil AppleTV2 with a built in tuner that only works in the USA, and announce content deals with NBC or ABC or whatever US network that nobody with a brain cares about anyway, and still no content deals with any European networks or movie companies. Zero content before, zero after. Or maybe well get more American shows like 'When Obese People Attack!!'

New Cinema displays finally but with glossy screens, which nobody doing any decent work wants.

Glossy only screens on the MacBookPro.

No more firewire.

A cheesy silver mouse to match the cheesy silver iMac...but not the cheesy silver keyboard.

Death of the Mac Mini to which AppleInsider will crow that they predicted it, forgetting that they've been doing that for over a year.

The XMac arrives, but the XMac weenies still complain they could build one cheaper themselves from a shoe box, three yoghurt pots and an old Etch-a-Sketch and still play Halo Death Wotsit 17 faster than a Mac.

iTunes 8 attains full sentience and takes over your Mac entirely before it ushers in the reign of the robots.
post #29 of 74
Quote:

Euwww. I presume that means something different in USAian than in English.
post #30 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by aegisdesign View Post

iTunes 8 attains full sentience and takes over your Mac entirely before it ushers in the reign of the robots.

So that's what it's been doing with all of that memory....
post #31 of 74
Quote:

The XMac arrives, but the XMac weenies still complain they could build one cheaper themselves from a shoe box, three yoghurt pots and an old Etch-a-Sketch and still play Halo Death Wotsit 17 faster than a Mac.

Well I could!

-Clive
post #32 of 74
Consumer desktop Mac minitower. This is a gaping hole in your line up, FILL IT!!!!

I hate MS, and Vista sucks monkey balls, but HP makes exactly the boxes I want and Adobe CS3 apps work pretty much the same cross-platform. I'm almost convinced I could grudgingly live with XP if it meant being able to get the hardware I need. For the love of God, Apple, please don't make me go there.
post #33 of 74
Merry XMac everyone!!!
post #34 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I don't get it, who is this Steve Jobs guy?

The one on the left -
post #35 of 74
Quote:

One of my favorite posts of the week.
onlooker

onlooker

post #36 of 74
Quote:

maybe well get more American shows like 'When Obese People Attack!!'

BRING IT BABY!
I don't see how an anti M$ stance can be seen as a bad thing on an Apple forum I really can't!

nagromme - According to Amazon: "SpongBob Typing Tutor" is outselling Windows
I don't see how an anti M$ stance can be seen as a bad thing on an Apple forum I really can't!

nagromme - According to Amazon: "SpongBob Typing Tutor" is outselling Windows
post #37 of 74
Give me a Blu-ray equipped MacBook Pro in some fancy new casing!
post #38 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinitaBoy View Post

As a Mac user and long-time poster to sites like this, I must reveal my credentials to one and all . . . and avow my disappointment with everything Apple has ever done. Ever. Truly. The hardware products aren't good enough or cheap enough. The software products aren't comprehensive enough or updated fast enough. Steve's keynote addresses aren't focused enough or broad enough. The stock price is not high enough or low enough.

There. Am I one of the great unwashed Mac Masses now? Gawd, but I hope so, 'cause every time I have a positive thought about AAPL or the company's future, I feel SO VERY DIRTY. Mea culpa. Mea culpa.

long time??? 14 posts started in 2007??? where else do you post? why so disappointed??? i wish apple could be all things to you, but when compared to pc, apple has the products that people want and are growing faster than the pc market....people must like it so far. are they complete? never but pretty close..... i think with SJ giving the keynote that it will be something tremendous. also when was the last time people waited with bated breath for anything MS or what's his name said.

i'm glad i am apple....my corp just updated their server access for us mac fans. i am free truly free at last. for enterprise to be enbracing some aspect of apple is a huge step. and for me.....maybe not for you i don't have to buy a pc or windows anything. i'm at peace.

i'm just waiting for the iphone to have voice dialing, i've put off any mac puchase till that SJ talks
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
post #39 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesP2009 View Post

Give me a Blu-ray equipped MacBook Pro in some fancy new casing!

Only as a BTO.
post #40 of 74
Knowing Apple they'd likely do Blu-ray standard on the two more expensive models and perhaps a "low-end" SuperDrive on the cheapest Mac.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Only as a BTO.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Steve Jobs to headline Macworld San Francisco 2008