or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › How To: Mac Mini RAM Upgrade

How To: Mac Mini RAM Upgrade - Page 2

post #41 of 77
Hi, found this howto really useful, best I found on the Mac Mini upgrade process. Had a little problem putting the top back on as the metal clips on the ports back board didn't line up properly with the top as I put the top on a little squint, but I removed the top and tried again with everything lined up nice and square. No probs.
My wife's Mac Mini really flies now. With the base 512MB, Safari took about 25s to load, with 2GB now less than 10s to load (I guess it must have been using virtual memory?) and everything nips along nicely now.
Thanks for taking the time to post this howto.
post #42 of 77
Great guide - put in 4 gb ram into an Intel chip. All went together easily - double checked the connections and screws. On start it whirs for maybe 2 secs then clicks over and over. Sounds mechanical.
Have taken it back apart and reassembled 2x w/ the same result.
The power light is steady. Any suggestions?
post #43 of 77
Hi all! I have a Mac Mini - 1.83/512 and the memory is in serious need of an upgrade. Running IPhoto with anything else open takes me back to the days where you'd launch a program and hope it was up by the time you returned from the restroom....

I bought the memory (2 1G Kingston chips - $13 ea) and am getting ready to do the upgrade. I was going to see if the techs at the Apple store could upgrade it, but I saw your directions tonight and am going to try it myself. Doesn't look too difficult. Thank you smee for the comprehensive directions. Richard H - I have your notes too. I'll let you all know how it turns out.
-- Blondie

"Teamwork is what the Green Bay Packers were all about. They didn't do it for individual glory. They did it because they loved one another." - Vince Lombardi
-- Blondie

"Teamwork is what the Green Bay Packers were all about. They didn't do it for individual glory. They did it because they loved one another." - Vince Lombardi
post #44 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondie View Post

Hi all! I have a Mac Mini - 1.83/512 and the memory is in serious need of an upgrade. Running IPhoto with anything else open takes me back to the days where you'd launch a program and hope it was up by the time you returned from the restroom....

I bought the memory (2 1G Kingston chips - $13 ea) and am getting ready to do the upgrade. I was going to see if the techs at the Apple store could upgrade it, but I saw your directions tonight and am going to try it myself. Doesn't look too difficult. Thank you smee for the comprehensive directions. Richard H - I have your notes too. I'll let you all know how it turns out.

Just take it slow. Rushing things is when you break things.
post #45 of 77
Thanks for this guide! I managed to upgrade the RAM in my 2006 mini.

Fun fact: a rolling pizza cutter works quite well to get the case open! =D
"I have a dream, that one day, my posts will be judged by their content, not their spelling."
"I have a dream, that one day, my posts will be judged by their content, not their spelling."
post #46 of 77
I wanted to purchase the Kingston HyperX 4GB Kit RAM for my MAC mini 2.0 667 bus from newegg.com but they have several models. Which did you buy? the PC2 5300 or PC2 6400 are the same price.
post #47 of 77
Hi:

Many thanks for posting this guide to upgrade. Unfortunately I accidentally detached the airport cable. When I reattached it to the most likely place (the right most post above the silver box with the fcc number on the motherboard) the system won't turn on and I get only a flashing light. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

Adam
post #48 of 77
Hi all, i've a macmini 1,83GHz with 2x 512ram. I've buy 1 year agò a macbook pro 2,5GHz with 2GB of ram, upgraded with 2x 2GB samsung 667.
Now i've try to swap the mac mini ram with the one that i've take out from the macbook pro but i've noticed that the macmini do not recognize the one in the slot0.
If i swap the new ram in the slots, nothing change, but if i put the old ones, 2x 512, the macmini recognize slot0 and slot1 correctly.
All the codes over the rams are the same.
Who can help me with this?
G.
post #49 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotelbymaps.com View Post

Worked in general: I've done it on two macmini's (early 2009 that used to have 1GB each).

For my own macmini: I got the 1GB out, and placed 2 GB from my recently bought Macbook Pro inside. Works like a charm (I added 4GB to the Macbook Pro).

This is exactly my situation. My macmini is a 1.83 core 2 duo where i've installed 2x1GB ram (twins) taken from my book pro 2,5 where i've put 4GB samsung.

Quote:
For my dad's macmini: I added the 1GB from my own macmini to his machine. This is where the problem starts: The memory is all origninal apple, but not identical. The computer starts up (strangely without the poing sound), 2GB is recognized, but since the upgrade Skype is not working. Flushing the PRAM also won't fix it, neither will a reinstall of skype. So, be sure to have identical memory, or you might get disappointed.

My ram are twins but the strange problem is that the macmini recognize 2x512MB original ram, slot0 slot1, but not 2x1GB original ram, slot0 seems empty, even if i switch the ram into the slots.
post #50 of 77
Thanks for a brilliantly explained memory upgrade demo. Unfortunately when I tried upgrading my Mac mini Intel solo from 2x 256 to 2x 1mB things have not gone well. Mechanically all went well but on powering up again the boot process did not start. Checked all connections (memory properly bedded in, ribbon cable OK, black wires re-connected but all that happens is the power LED illuminates, no fan noise or signal sound, monitor screen briefly wakes up then blanks with no signal.

Have tried reverting to the old memory but same results, also forgot the black wire(fan? one attempt and got fan action but still no boot up.

Can anyone help?
Thanks
post #51 of 77
Fixed it myself!!!!
Measured button battery voltage at just over 3v, presumed that was OK so decided to disconnect it.

Slid a piece of paper between the frontal spring contact and the battery for about 10 seconds then reassembled (with the upgrade memory in place) and applied power.

This time some whirrings then that beautiful doing! Screen came back to life and the Mini booted up as though yesterday had not happened - except now I have 2Gb RAM showing and can start to install Snow Leopard - I hope!
post #52 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by dje735 View Post

Slid a piece of paper between the frontal spring contact and the battery for about 10 seconds then reassembled (with the upgrade memory in place) and applied power.

This time some whirrings then that beautiful doing! Screen came back to life and the Mini booted up as though yesterday had not happened - except now I have 2Gb RAM showing and can start to install Snow Leopard - I hope!

hello
I have intel c2d mac mini with same problem you described.
but it's usually begins to boot up after 20 minutes of no activity and black screen.

I don't understand what you did with piece of paper
could you draw scheme of your action on any photo or picture with mac mini bowels?
please help
thanks!
post #53 of 77
The videos from Other World Computing are great too.

I was quite nervous about upgrading my 2009 Mini as it looked complicated, but I watched the video and these step by step tutorials, and it went ok.
*Powerbook G4 12" - 1.5 GHZ
*iMac Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHZ (Mid 2007), *Apple 20-inch Cinema Display (Aluminium)
*iPhone 4S, Airport Extreme (2011) *MacBook Air 11-inch (Late 2010)
*Powerbook G4 12" - 1.5 GHZ
*iMac Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHZ (Mid 2007), *Apple 20-inch Cinema Display (Aluminium)
*iPhone 4S, Airport Extreme (2011) *MacBook Air 11-inch (Late 2010)
post #54 of 77
Oh how I wish I had read this guide before I did that and killed my mini.
post #55 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by smee View Post

Sorry, I thought I already posted about this on AI.
Guess not

You can put in 4GB (2 x 2GB) in the mini, but it will not recognize the whole 4GB, it will recognize 3GB. But it's still faster to get 4GB rather than 2GB + 1GB.

Sorry for the confusment....

Hi... Thanks for all the info! I installed 2 x 2GB of PNY memory. All went well and the system recognized both sticks. The only problem is that they are listed as 533 MHz instead of the system bus speed of 667 MHz. Any thoughts?

Thank you!

(Mac Mini 1.83 GHz Core 2 Duo Version 2,1)
post #56 of 77
Why would anybody in there right mind buy anything called Mini?

SHEESH!
post #57 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by sequitur View Post

4.0GB (2GB + 2GB Module Set) Upgrade kit with Micron devices for all Apple 'Core 2 Duo' 2.2GHz, 2.4GHz, Core ... more
Brand: Other World Computing
OWC Item # OWC53IM2DDR4GBK $103.99 \t

With 4GB hovering around $100, I thought of putting 4GB in a Mac Mini. What would happen? Would it create problems or ......?

Hi,
I just followed the instructions to upgrade my Mac Mini 1.83Ghz, Intel Core 2 Duo, to 4GB Ram, Snow Leopard, and these 4GB are recognized very well.

I bought 2 x "HYNIX original 2GB 200pin SO-DDR2-667 (PC2-5300) 128Mx8x16" from Amazon.

Now it says this:

Model NametMac mini
Model IdentifiertMacmini2,1
Processor NametIntel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speedt1.83 GHz
Number Of Processorst1
Total Number Of Corest2
L2 Cachet2 MB
Memoryt4 GB
Bus Speedt667 MHz
Boot ROM VersiontMM21.009A.B00

Thanks again for the tutorial, I had a good time doing this - late night - while the rest of the house was sleeping - a great improvement to my mac mini for 80 bucks!!

Ph
post #58 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Paine View Post

With 4GB hovering around $100, I thought of putting 4GB in a Mac Mini. What would happen? Would it create problems or ......?

Depending on which mini you have, it'll work better. Highly recommended, if you don't mind the minor hassle of opening up the case.

Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

MA497LL/A FB463LL/A MC572LL/A FC060LL/A MD481LL/A MD388LL/A ME344LL/A

Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

MA497LL/A FB463LL/A MC572LL/A FC060LL/A MD481LL/A MD388LL/A ME344LL/A

post #59 of 77
Thanks for this info... would've driven me crazy without it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankP View Post

smee, thanks very much for your detailed instuctions and photos. They worked very well and I wouldn't have attempted the memory upgrade without them.

I did have a problem with excessive fan noise after re-assembly - my Mac mini had always been very quiet. After reading all sorts of articles around the web and in Apple's support pages which suggested either cleaning dust out of the fan (there wasn't any) or resetting the smc (which I did to no avail). I finally looked over your disassembly instructions again: I'd forgotten to re-attach the little black wire After opening up the case again and attaching it - hey presto fan noise gone.
post #60 of 77
I just upgraded my 2009 2.66Ghx mini to 4GB (2x2) from OWC. But in rebooting it only shows 2GB. Is there somewhere to check if it's seeing both boards?
post #61 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by edslunch View Post

I just upgraded my 2009 2.66Ghx mini to 4GB (2x2) from OWC. But in rebooting it only shows 2GB. Is there somewhere to check if it's seeing both boards?

I see in system profiler that bank 1 is empty - bad board or bad install. Does anyone know which in bank 1 - the top or bottom board?
post #62 of 77
I do Arc, too. It would be great if they made a Mac ArcGIS. You know, they used to have it on OS 9! It would also be nice if their software wasn't a pile of crap in terms of user interface. I can't believe we still have to "connect" to folder and only can edit things in one folder. Hey, have you used Arc 10 yet sda? I have the latest version w/ patches on Win 7 on a vanilla PC and it crashes all the time. And no multiple attribute windows.
post #63 of 77
not working for me so far.. i think i`m not following same process that discussed here...
post #64 of 77
I know this is an old thread but it's discussing the 1.83Ghz Mac Mini C2D which is exactly the computer I am about trying to get into to add another module of RAM to (I already have one 2gb in there in one of the slots)

Quote:
Originally Posted by smee View Post

Lol, thats funny

I'm glad it went well for you!

Last night I took my mini completely apart (the motherboard, hd, optical drive and everything was out of the case), I wanted to see what kind of hard drive was in there.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard_H View Post

* The gap in the case is pretty tight between the white base and the silver shell. I had to use a pretty slim putty knife (it'd been sharpened to a knife edge, actually, for a prior project); the first putty knife was too thick to wedge in the crack without marring the case getting it in. In a pinch, one could slide a flat chef's knife in the gap just to make the crack wide enough to get the putty knife started (don't pry with a knife).

* I used 2 putty knives - the first one to pry the base upward (i.e., outward on the shell, as the OP described), and a second putty knife following behind it, catching notches in the side of the base to keep it from dropping back down. A flat screwdriver would work for this 2nd tool too.

* On mine, screw #2 is an oddball with a wider head. The other 3 look interchangeable. You really need a small Philips head with these screws, and the screwdriver needs to be fairly skinny and long (a la pocket screwdriver style).
* Seating the memory DIMMs is a tight fit - while at a slight angle, they need to be pressed into the slot until the top edge of the gold contacts are barely visible; this can take a pretty firm hand. Once inserted, latch it down. If you haven't done this before, take note of how far inserted the old DIMMs are before you remove them.

* Check the Airport antenna connector before re-assembling - it'll try to come loose from the board (seen in the background of the OP's pic with the brown ribbon connector).

* Screw #1 was a challenge to get started back in the hole - I needed a magnet on the screwdriver to keep the screw attached to it. Hole #1 is an open bracket but this isn't obvious from the shadows (at least at my kitchen table, er... anti-static workbench); just dropping the screw in the "hole" won't work like it does on #3 and #4.

* Check that the Bluetooth antenna wire is back in the clips along the side of the drive, between screws 1 and 2.

A few things..

1) I just placed an order for two of these putty knives: http://www.amazon.com/Red-Devil-4824.../dp/B00004YNM8 solely based on the review that they worked great for the guy getting into his Mac Mini

2) If I'm already in there taking things apart for adding another RAM Module, how easy would it be to replace the Bluetooth/Airport Antenna? Apparently the previous owner of this mac mini damaged that bluetooth/airport antenna during the initial 2gb Crucial RAM install. (I think that explains why he wanted to sell it after 3 months).

3) I may also need to take the hard drive out and connect to a SATA-To-USB device to pull as much data as I can off. I think there's an issue with the Snow Leopard install right now in that I can't repair the disk and now I can't even set it as a Startup disk. If it won't go into Target mode and let me access all the files (I just ordered an 800 to 400 Firewire Adapter to connect to my macbook pro), the only thing I can think of left is taking out the hard drive and connecting to a SATA-To-USB Device and connecting to my MacBook Pro and seeing if it can read its contents.
post #65 of 77
I have an ibook G4 12 in with upgraded 1 GB Ram, I have had this notebook for about 1 year now, it has been used maybe 4 times within the past year. Does anyone know how much I could sell this for currently? The battery is fine and doesnt fall under the recall list. Thanks in advance.
post #66 of 77
Thank you so much for this - I worked in PC Support for nearly 15 years, but this is the fiddliest thing I've ever had to do, and without your guide, I'd've never attempted it.

Saved myself spending £40 at the local Mac store in town.

:-)

Andy

a.k.a. "fallingman"
post #67 of 77

Hi, Thanks a lot for good explain. I have gone through step by step and done everything but when i turn it ON the light flashing continuously if you can give me some suggestion will appreciate it.

Thanks in advance

post #68 of 77

Does it beep as well? If not, your RAM isn't seated correctly. Open 'er up, take the RAM out, and try it again. Don't jam it in there, but don't be afraid to push until it feels in.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

post #69 of 77

It's fit on place correctly and there r no beeps at all. They works by single well when I put them together it gives me the same issue1confused.gif

post #70 of 77
Originally Posted by Navid View Post
They works by single well when I put them together it gives me the same issue1confused.gif

Oh, you're saying that each new RAM stick works individually, but not together?

post #71 of 77

Well, I did it the lazy way and paid some 50€ to a local apple-store-service-technician (if you ask me an overpriced service for a work of 20 minutes) but it was imho definitely worth it, not the paying of 50€, but expanding the 2GB Ram of my late 2009 macmini to 8 GB, the difference is like night and day. It's like I had handbrakes on before.

I disagree, and could prove you're wrong; care to offer any proof that you're not wrong?
I disagree, and could prove you're wrong; care to offer any proof that you're not wrong?
post #72 of 77

Very helpful.  On mine the oddball screw was #3:  The screws had different lengths -- 3 short and 1 long.  The long was was #3.  (It took me while to figure this out, as I was not observant when removing the screws.)

post #73 of 77

If I have a 2009 mac mini, is there a limit to how recent or how much ram I can put in it? For example will it be able to recognize everything if I put two 8gb of ram in there or will it not be compatible? Moreso will it take a dump because it has super ram lacking a processor to match it? Alternatively is there a way to upgrade the processor? Same question goes for a graphics/video card. Thanks!

Edited by jimmyfreeman - 6/6/13 at 11:37pm
post #74 of 77
Originally Posted by jimmyfreeman View Post
If I have a 2009 mac mini…

Both 2009 Mac Mini models can have 8GB of RAM, max.

Alternatively is there a way to upgrade the processor? Same question goes for a graphics/video card.

Nope.

post #75 of 77

Great How to! from 2GB to 4 GB upgrade from macramdirect.com. The performance improvement is remarkable. Boot is much faster, Iphoto actually opens completely in under 1 min. The "beach ball" loading cursor is no longer an issue when trying to do anything. 2009 - core duo.

Install Notes: I accidentally disconnected the ribbon and all three antennas. I was scared at first. Also my model didn't have the black wire to disconnect. This helped me reinstall the antenna and the ribbon went right back on the plug easily. The screws were a real bear to get back in 

:(. Took about 40 minutes. I used this website http://tim.id.au/laptops/apple/macmini/mac_mini_late09.pdf. Thank you so much for posting this.

post #76 of 77

Anytime you upgrade your ram there is a big difference in performance. I went from 4 to 8 gigs real improvement.

post #77 of 77

@smee You are a fantastic person. Perfect instructions and great photos.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › How To: Mac Mini RAM Upgrade