or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › Apple Hardware › 20" White iMac Memory and Other Questions

20" White iMac Memory and Other Questions

post #1 of 4
Hello,

I am scheduled to pick up my used white 20" iMac today and I wanted to ask how to go about a memory upgrade. It's a 2ghz Core Duo processor and has 512mb of memory so I would love to update that before I even start playing with it. Do I need to "match" the sticks or anything like that? And what exact memory chips does it take?

I also wanted to find out as far as the processors go, for a new Apple user such as myself, would there be a noticeable difference between Core Duo processor and a Core 2 Duo in an iMac?

Thank you in advance for any information.

-Slav.
13" MacBook 2.4ghz, 4g RAM, 500g Scorpio HD, 22" Samsung SyncMaster
post #2 of 4
Since no one answered perhaps I will modify my question a little:

I want to update the memory on my new (to me) white 2ghz core duo iMac. I read in the manual that it can take up to 2 gigs of DDR2-667mhz PC2-5300 of memory.

Can I just get a single 2gig stick or do I need to spread the 2 gigs into two 1 gig sticks in each slot? Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks.
post #3 of 4
You don't have to match the sticks, but I believe the max for each slot is 1 GB. So, you could put in a 1 GB module and a 512MB module, for a total of 1.5 GB, but you can't get the 2 GB stick alone, I believe. Not that you'd really need to, what's the use of an empty slot when you have the max anyway?
Apple Product Professional
Apple Certified Macintosh Technician
Apple Product Professional
Apple Certified Macintosh Technician
post #4 of 4
I went with Kingston 2x 1gig Dual Channel memory and it works just great. Thanks for the reply.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › Apple Hardware › 20" White iMac Memory and Other Questions