or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Does freedom require religion?

Does freedom require religion? - Page 6

post #201 of 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Why is it only the fringe sites post this kind of story? I found no reliable links to back this up. Gasp!... you mean it's not true?

KAUFMAN v. MCCAUGHTRY (direct link to PDF file)
Every eye fixed itself upon him; with parted lips and bated breath the audience hung upon his words, taking no note of time, rapt in the ghastly fascinations of the tale. NOT!
Every eye fixed itself upon him; with parted lips and bated breath the audience hung upon his words, taking no note of time, rapt in the ghastly fascinations of the tale. NOT!
post #202 of 218
Muslims take over “meditation room” at a Minnesota public college

Quote:
The room is now split into male and female sections, and features arrows pointing to Mecca, literature describing proper behavior for women (”They should cover their faces and stay at home… [their speech should not] be such that it is heard”) and for all Muslims (”the Jews and the Christians” are described as “the enemies of Allaah’s religion.”)

There's your "free" religions, all getting along just fine...
post #203 of 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by franksargent View Post

Kaufman v. McCaughtry [Docket No. 04-1914]

This link does not work.
post #204 of 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by @_@ Artman View Post

Muslims take over meditation room at a Minnesota public college

There's your "free" religions, all getting along just fine...

You left out this bit from the quote:

"...and for all Muslims the Jews and the Christians are described as the enemies of Allaahs religion.)".

But is this true? I know 'Allah' is spelt wrong but I mean in the wider context.

If it is then the Qur'an is an anti-Islamic document because it clearly states that all Jews and Christians are believers who will go to paradise.

If this is not what Muslims believe then we need to disseminate the information that being a Muslim does not rely on the Qur'an.

If it is false then clearly these people - if the article is genuine which is far from certain - are not Muslims and as such cannot be used as examples.

It's a dilemma. best ignore it and carry on with the agitprop
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
post #205 of 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by segovius View Post

You left out this bit from the quote:

"...and for all Muslims the Jews and the Christians” are described as “the enemies of Allaah’s religion.)".

But is this true? I know 'Allah' is spelt wrong but I mean in the wider context.

If it is then the Qur'an is an anti-Islamic document because it clearly states that all Jews and Christians are believers who will go to paradise.

If this is not what Muslims believe then we need to disseminate the information that being a Muslim does not rely on the Qur'an.

If it is false then clearly these people - if the article is genuine which is far from certain - are not Muslims and as such cannot be used as examples.

It's a dilemma. best ignore it and carry on with the agitprop

Well, the quote came from this blog and that's where I found the link to the original article (from a local newspaper). What does one need? CNN? Reuters? Fox?

Well, I dug a little deeper...seems the original article is by Katherine Kersten, the Star-Tribune's resident diehard fundamentalist. This is the woman who described an Episcopal minister as a "practicing homosexual" . So now I'm not surprised she represents such an obvious situation in the most negative possible light.

Still, if you put a bunch of different religious people in a room to "meditate", war breaks out. Who would have thought?...
post #206 of 218
Quote:

Well, the quote came from this blog and that's where I found the link to the original article (from a local newspaper). What does one need? CNN? Reuters? Fox?

Well, I dug a little deeper...seems the original article is by Katherine Kersten, the Star-Tribune's resident diehard fundamentalist. This is the woman who described an Episcopal minister as a "practicing homosexual" . So now I'm not surprised she represents such an obvious situation in the most negative possible light.

Still, if you put a bunch of different religious people in a room to "meditate", war breaks out. Who would have thought?...

Yeah, everyone has an agenda these days. I guess it is not enough anymore to see something as it is and accept it or reject it on that basis. It has to be 'bad' to be rejected and 'good' to be accepted.

Kind of sucks.

Btw, I am checking out the sci-fi book you mentioned - looks like it could be a goodie. never heard of it before. Not really so much into sci-fi (is that what it is?) - Dune was pretty much drawing on Islamic sources too, didn't get too into it though.
post #207 of 218
Quote:

Btw, I am checking out the sci-fi book you mentioned - looks like it could be a goodie. never heard of it before. Not really so much into sci-fi (is that what it is?) - Dune was pretty much drawing on Islamic sources too, didn't get too into it though.

I would say that it is more of a hard-boiled mystery than science fiction story. There isn't much science (merely implants for the brain and some physical modification stuff), but I really got into the character and the late 21st century Middle Eastern world Effinger created. He based the look and feel of the city from his love of his hometown New Orleans. I'm on the third of the series and I think it's the best so far (delves more into Middle Eastern culture than the other two). I'd start with the first and see how it goes for you. Wish they'd make a movie out of this series...of course with all the Muslim overtones...that could be a problem these days.
post #208 of 218
Quote:

I would say that it is more of a hard-boiled mystery than science fiction story. There isn't much science (merely implants for the brain and some physical modification stuff), but I really got into the character and the late 21st century Middle Eastern world Effinger created. He based the look and feel of the city from his love of his hometown New Orleans. I'm on the third of the series and I think it's the best so far (delves more into Middle Eastern culture than the other two). I'd start with the first and see how it goes for you. Wish they'd make a movie out of this series...of course with all the Muslim overtones...that could be a problem these days.

Yeah, I'll definitely give it a go. I remember in the dark days of my youth there used to be a role playing game like this - Islam was the superpower and the Corporations were the rebels....can't remember what it was called.
post #209 of 218
Quote:

Yeah, I'll definitely give it a go. I remember in the dark days of my youth there used to be a role playing game like this - Islam was the superpower and the Corporations were the rebels....can't remember what it was called.

Was it "The Circuit's Edge"? It came up on my searches on the book and it's author...

Quote:
Circuit's Edge is a computer game developed by Westwood Studios and released by Infocom in 1989. It was based on George Alec Effinger's 1987 novel When Gravity Fails. The game was a hybrid interactive fiction/role-playing game; it contained a window of text, a graphic window for depiction of the player's current location, and various menus and mini-windows for character statistics and other game functions.

The player assumes the role of Marîd Audran, a private detective. The game is set in "The Budayeen", an entertainment / criminal quarter in an unnamed city somewhere in the Mideast that is a seedy reflection of modern-day New Orleans.[citation needed] While running a series of errands/"business deals" for "Saied the Half-Hajj", a friend of Marîd's, Marîd is framed for the murder of a man named Kenji Carter. Although Marîd's influential patron Friedlander Bey clears him with the local police, Bey asks him to look into Carter's death. Doing so leads Marîd deep into the criminal underworld of the Budayeen.

Now you have to read it, don't ya...
post #210 of 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

This link does not work.

KAUFMAN v. MCCAUGHTRY (direct link to PDF file)

If that doesn't work then;

USCOA 7th Circuit
Opinions
Case Number (e. g. Year = 04, Number Fragment = 1914)
View or Download Documents
KAUFMAN v. MCCAUGHTRY
post #211 of 218
post #212 of 218
This...

and then this...

post #213 of 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by franksargent View Post

Kaufman v. McCaughtry [Docket No. 04-1914]

That link provides the following: "The page cannot be found"

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #214 of 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

That link provides the following: "The page cannot be found"

... This should work.
post #215 of 218
Quote:

Dune remains one of the all-time great works... also I used to love picking up the Nebula Awards anthologies and pore over all of those fantastic short stories. Really loved "Sandkings" by George R. R. Martin...

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #216 of 218
Quote:

Was it "The Circuit's Edge"? It came up on my searches on the book and it's author...

Now you have to read it, don't ya...

No, it wasn't that - it was a board game.... will try to remember....
post #217 of 218
I just found this report on priests in Bethlehem who celebrated X mas by beating each other with sticks.
http://www.newser.com/story/15178.html

Sanity requires atheism.
post #218 of 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamac View Post

Sanity requires atheism.

You're probably not the best person to claim that though....can't think of an atheist who would be but I know it's not you
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Does freedom require religion?