or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple sub-notebook to retail for $1500, 3G iPhone by June - report

Apple sub-notebook to retail for $1500, 3G iPhone by June - report - Page 3

post #81 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanmugam View Post

...unless there is some definite new features which were not in current macbook pro (except 12" screen size) then what is new here? can you call this as a new product and get interested?

As I see it, all this new notebook is going to be is a late replacement for the 12" PowerBook, albeit considerably thinner and sexier. I would assume the reason this replacement didn't come out with the rest of the Intel transition was because Apple saw SSD's on the horizon and decided to wait until the right components were available.

To answer your question, no, I wouldn't consider this a strictly new product as much as say a Mac Touch would be, but an intriguing product none the less.
post #82 of 141
2 screen sizes is good. Hmm...I hope it will be similarly specced as the MBP which mean it comes with a dedicated graphic card, but I guess my hope is very thin.
Apple is a hardware company, dont believe me? Read this Article!. For those who understand my message, help me spread this info to those who dont get it.
Apple is a hardware company, dont believe me? Read this Article!. For those who understand my message, help me spread this info to those who dont get it.
post #83 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

3G with 16GB storage sounds good to me. I would sell my current iPhone and buy the new one.

If we can be certain of anything the sub-notebook will not have a dedicated GPU.

If it is late 2008 then it better be at least 32GB with GPS and a 5 megapixel flash camera.
post #84 of 141
I for one, am excited about this coming out. Seemingly it will make for a great notebook to bring along around campus if only for the light weight and small dimensions. I've never had much use for large hard drives and my optical drive is seeing less and less CD's these days. I'm all for stripping these for the possibility of a 1/2" thin laptop. Go Apple!
post #85 of 141
id love an ultraportable with a SSD....thing is...32 - 64GB is very limited....and if theres no optical drive then i may turn away...
post #86 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanmugam View Post

unless there is some definite new features which were not in current macbook pro (except 12" screen size) then what is new here? can you call this as a new product and get interested?

What about "Weighs a kilo and goes a long time without charging" doesn't constitute as new feature-set?
Cat: the other white meat
post #87 of 141
I'm concerned about the possible lack of a GPU. What is the maximum resolution external monitor that can be driven by the X3100?
Mac user since August 1983.
Mac user since August 1983.
post #88 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmedia1 View Post

If Apple can get a 3G iPhone built that includes DUN, I'll buy it, until then, the lack of offically supported DUN is a deal breaker for me. AT&T is also an issue, but that's another post...

3G and DUN is where I jump in too.

There are a few other things that I'd miss on my trusty old Treo (List Pro, especially) but I'd get over 'em, and third party apps might eventually close those gaps too.
post #89 of 141
The more I think of it, the more likely I think it seems with a touch based device. If indeed this notebook would have the same specs as a MacBook just thinner, less storage, less ports and no optical drive then it just wouldn't make sense. All specs would be equal or lower than a MacBook except for portability. It wouldn't be enough cool to justify a pro price tag or the device's place in the lineup. I think it must have a unique selling point, and I'm more and more leaning towards touch. I can imagine touch navigation being the last delayed "big secret" of Leopard.
post #90 of 141
Indeed. IMHO, a keyboard with its required key travel distance is a major contributor to thickness in Apple laptops. I really can't imagine how you could squeeze a decent full-travel (or even awful limited-travel) keyboard into something half as thick as a Macbook. Knock out the keyboard and it looks fairly easy from an engineering standpoint.
post #91 of 141
Apple should use the OLPC screen to reduce cost and lengthen battery life.
post #92 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarling View Post

I'm concerned about the possible lack of a GPU. What is the maximum resolution external monitor that can be driven by the X3100?

On the 13" MacBook, it can get up to 1920 by 1200 external resolution.

I don't know for certain exactly what is meant by page 3 of this document:
http://download.intel.com/products/g...hics_guide.pdf

But one possible interpretation is that it can get external resolutions up to 2048x1536.
post #93 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by lfmorrison View Post

On the 13" MacBook, it can get up to 1920 by 1200 external resolution.

I don't know for certain exactly what is meant by page 3 of this document:
http://download.intel.com/products/g...hics_guide.pdf

But one possible interpretation is that it can get external resolutions up to 2048x1536.

It's possible through the analog jacks, but I think it's just beyond what the specs for single-link DVI allows. It's doable if you have a CRT, but everything is so small and it would be a bit blurry.
post #94 of 141
Subnotebook huh? Slim like hell...wow yeah...NAND...great...battery life for a month...really?

Whatever!

What about the entry level user? Student? Or someone that's just fed up with windows n has been duiyinf for an Apple laptop? What abt someone that's not in business, just wants a fancy laptop for all the fun stuff things apple is famous for? Make movies n pass them on to friends? Share pix or copy cd's with music for his mates? What about someone that doesn't really care how much more battery a HD would suck coz he won't be travelling to Cambodia next thing in the morning where he probably doesn't even know what the wall sockets look like? In other words...

...WHAT ABOUT THE MACBOOK????

The laptop that has made Apple so recognisable? Everyone's been going on abt the sub notebook as if portability suddenly became the outmost feature of every laptop on the surface of this planet!

N the poor macbook has seen a design update since we didn't know what Carbon Dioxide is n everything was made outta plastic!

N please I've been collecting penny upon penny the money to get one exactly as I want it n before I click on "order" I have to wait till MacWorld. N above that no one will even care about a fun great looking regular MacBook!

Any updates.....? Please!
post #95 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mind_Fast View Post

Subnotebook huh? Slim like hell...wow yeah...NAND...great...battery life for a month...really?

Whatever!

What about the entry level user? Student? Or someone that's just fed up with windows n has been duiyinf for an Apple laptop? What abt someone that's not in business, just wants a fancy laptop for all the fun stuff things apple is famous for? Make movies n pass them on to friends? Share pix or copy cd's with music for his mates? What about someone that doesn't really care how much more battery a HD would suck coz he won't be travelling to Cambodia next thing in the morning where he probably doesn't even know what the wall sockets look like? In other words...

The laptop that has made Apple so recognisable? Everyone's been going on abt the sub notebook as if portability suddenly became the outmost feature of every laptop on the surface of this planet!

N the poor macbook has seen a design update since we didn't know what Carbon Dioxide is n everything was made outta plastic!

N please I've been collecting penny upon penny the money to get one exactly as I want it n before I click on "order" I have to wait till MacWorld. N above that no one will even care about a fun great looking regular MacBook!

Ummmm..... could someone please translate.
post #96 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Ummmm..... could someone please translate.

I think the poster craves a MBP in a 13" or smaller package for casual use 'N digital life applications, and won't invest savings until a desirable BTO configuration is achieved at a suitable price point.
post #97 of 141
Quote:

None of this makes any sense at all. Are you throwing some bad AIM-isms in there? What the hell are 'N' and 'n' supposed to mean? I can make a guess but even doing that, it still doesn't make sense.
post #98 of 141
Quote:

Whatever!

Looks like mom and dad's hard earned money is being well spent on junior's tuition.

Not!
post #99 of 141
Hmmm, guess we have to wait 1 more month to check the specs. Darn I wont be at my PC cuz I got National Service. ZZzzzzZzzzzz
post #100 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

Looks like mom and dad's hard earned money is being well spent on junior's tuition.

Not!

I've actually worked very hard for these pennies backtomac n that's why I'm so eager.

If we could stay on the subject as well, I'd really appreciate it so...

...any updates on the fortune of the MacBook, please?
post #101 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

None of this makes any sense at all. Are you throwing some bad AIM-isms in there? What the hell are 'N' and 'n' supposed to mean? I can make a guess but even doing that, it still doesn't make sense.

N = and

Is there anyone out there actually reading what this is about i/o trying to comment on what I've written?

I didn't mean to make sound complicated but at the end of the day does anyone know the slightest thing about a MacBook update?

I have RSS feeds of every mac related site n I've been checking everyday since August to see when the all-time classic white MacBook will get a makeover...

...nothing, nowhere.
post #102 of 141
Quote:

Is there anyone out there actually reading what this is about i/o trying to comment on what I've written?

Most of us had no idea what you said. I see you're from Ireland. Was the first post in Gaelic?
post #103 of 141
Quote:

I have RSS feeds of every mac related site n I've been checking everyday since August to see when the all-time classic white MacBook will get a makeover...

...nothing, nowhere.

Apple is pretty good about keeping things under wraps. But let us know if you hear anything.
post #104 of 141
Quote:
If it is late 2008 then it better be at least 32GB with GPS and a 5 megapixel flash camera.

I doubt the 32GB storage.

GPS only if it isn't a battery hog.

I don't think of a camera phone anything more than a crappy camera phone. Flash would be nice though.
post #105 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by palegolas View Post

The more I think of it, the more likely I think it seems with a touch based device. If indeed this notebook would have the same specs as a MacBook just thinner, less storage, less ports and no optical drive then it just wouldn't make sense. All specs would be equal or lower than a MacBook except for portability. It wouldn't be enough cool to justify a pro price tag or the device's place in the lineup. I think it must have a unique selling point, and I'm more and more leaning towards touch. I can imagine touch navigation being the last delayed "big secret" of Leopard.

Can't argue with that, imagine the iPod touch coming to market minus the touch capability, it pretty much defines the product. If Apple is going to charge more for less features than the MacBook... a lighter footprint is going to be hard pressed to foot the bill alone.
post #106 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clive At Five View Post

That's fine... it just shouldn't be marketed as "Pro" if that's the case.

And if this thing is truly 13", they couldn't give it the "MacBook" name because it wouldn't be distinguished enough from the regular MacBooks. Therefore they're stuck with either "Pro" or some other suffix.

It's my opinion that "Pro" would be a misnomer...

-Clive

I think there should be a different naming rubric for these if it truly is Flash drive only (I hope for a hybrid) and lack of optical drive - like MacNotebook .... though MacBook Mini might suffice.
The Mother of all flip-flops!!
Support our troops by educating yourself and being a responsible voter. Democracy and Capitalism REQUIRE Intelligence and Wisdom if they are to be worth a damn beyond...
Support our troops by educating yourself and being a responsible voter. Democracy and Capitalism REQUIRE Intelligence and Wisdom if they are to be worth a damn beyond...
post #107 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by malus View Post

Umm, I doubt that--when looking at who buys Apple products--anyone installs from servers. If this were true, why did Leopard sell so many physical copies? Why does any software sell off the shelves?

Sony TZ series: http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...tegoryId=16154

11" with DVD burner, Hybrid 64GB Solid State Drive, and 200GB Hard Drive.
This thing even has a damn Macbook keyboard and a modem. Wow.

Yeah for $3000+.
post #108 of 141
Quote:

I've actually worked very hard for these pennies backtomac n that's why I'm so eager.

If we could stay on the subject as well, I'd really appreciate it so...

...any updates on the fortune of the MacBook, please?

This thread is about a sub-notebook, not the Macbook. If you want us to stay on subject, then don't talk about the Macbook - which just got an update - so don't expect a new one soon.
post #109 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

There will be a lot of complaining and gnashing of teeth if the memory is permanently soldered to the motherboard. But we shall see. It definitely won't be 128. 64 is more realistic and seems like a good place to start. 32 just wouldn't be worth it.

No one will complain because this is an ultraportable device that will synch the information that it needs to have on board. This won't need a gpu to do biomolecular engineering and it won't need a DVD player to watch movies and it won't need a hardrive to hold every document, file and app that you own. It will probably have its own synching window and via .Mac will be able to download anything at a moments notice. All of your information and passwords and bookmarks and everything on .Mac will be with you where ever you can get WiFi and maybe via the way the Amazon eBook does things.

We should stop trying to impress each other with our pseudo-knowledge of motherboard design and battery life expectancies as if we know, and start thinking about a new product line between full featured laptops and thin clients. It is time to redefine the subnotebook form factor just like Apple did with mp3 players and cellphones.
post #110 of 141
Quote:
No one will complain because this is an ultraportable device that will synch the information that it needs to have on board.

No one complains when Apple does something radically different from the norm???

What about when NAND prices fall and it becomes possible to add a larger drive. Technology isn't perfect flash chips can break and require replacement. Adding new chips for whatever reason becomes impossible to difficult if its soldered.
post #111 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

I'd say that doesn't sound likely on any of those. You're not going to get better pictures without making the device thicker. N95 is among the better cameras in a phone, and it's really a cheap point & shoot camera grafted into a phone, and it's considerably thicker than iPhone, IIRC, almost twice as thick.

More megapixels out of a pinhole-style camera will not get you a worthwhile improvement, and would probably be worse in any thing but high noon outdoors.
post #112 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by malus View Post

Umm, I doubt that--when looking at who buys Apple products--anyone installs from servers. If this were true, why did Leopard sell so many physical copies? Why does any software sell off the shelves?

Sony TZ series: http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...tegoryId=16154

11" with DVD burner, Hybrid 64GB Solid State Drive, and 200GB Hard Drive.
This thing even has a damn Macbook keyboard and a modem. Wow.

---- This is actually an EXTERNAL drive... so not quite. and dido the guy that says WOW to the price

woops... didn't see that this has already pointed out- my bad lol
post #113 of 141
personally, I'm dying with anticipation of what Apple has in store.

I hope for a dedicated GPU, but it's not looking good at this point (the geForce 8300m gs isn't the best in the world...)

12" would be nice, along with an option of 64 or 128GB SSD. which I give major kudos to apple for including.

I read somewhere (engadget?) that this MGP will be using the newer Santa Rosa chipset? or am I making that up.. who knows. In light of that, I think they could keep its "Pro" status by at least including the afore mentioned GPU and the option of the better CPU.

I'm new to the "MacWorld" (still holding out on buying my first) but love the atmosphere, and can't wait to see what they have for us in the future(like I said earlier) -- especially if it means a ultra-slim/portable beast like we've been hearing about.
post #114 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by 640x800 View Post

I hope for a dedicated GPU, but it's not looking good at this point (the geForce 8300m gs isn't the best in the world...)

Why? I'd rather have it be smaller and use less juice. I think the people to whom this rumored machine was designed are like me and just want something that's as nimble as possible and can do basic work tasks: email, web, pdf, document viewing / editing. It will be computer #2 for everyone who buys one. If you don't want a two computer setup, that's what the MacBooks and MacBook Pros are for.
post #115 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splinemodel View Post

Why? I'd rather have it be smaller and use less juice...

Yeah, absolutely.
There are still a couple of questions, since it's so slim. What ports will be on board? I hope this machine is suitable for musicians. Many traveling musicians rely heavily on external sound cards connecting with FireWire. If this machine is so thin perhaps Apple either dropped FireWire all together, or went with the 4 pin connector FireWire port (that doesn't provide power supply) instead of the 6 pin FW. I'd rather use the 4 pin FW than no FW. The lack of FireWire would be a deal breaker for me. My sound card and all my good hard drives are on FW.
post #116 of 141
intel's newest integrated graphics aren't that bad.. and anyone who is expecting a machine with no DVD to play games is high anyway.

This sounds like a big jump in terms of design and a huge move for apple in the Asian market, where people crave small over big. Shit, if they come out with this, my wife is going to make me buy her one b/c he MBP is too "heavy". I'm just shocked its only 1500. My guess is that fully configured it will be 2k.

On another note, what do people think the max ram will be? 2, 4 or 8 gigs? If they could get 2 4 gb sticks into it, then they should be able to get around a lot of the shortcomings of SSD drives by some smart caching.

on SSD - 32 or 64 gigs is very small if you have any interest in boot camp. You generally give the boot camp partition 32 gigs just to be useful. That doesn't leave much. Maybe do a 16 gig SSD drive for the OS, and ram and then pop in a normal 1.8 inch HD for storage?
post #117 of 141
GYARRRGH!!!! Why does it HAVE to be 13.3 inches? 11.1 inches is the obvious choice for a sub-note. It would slot so nicely in the Macbook/MacbookPro lineup: 11 / 13 / 15 / 17 inches! The fact that it might only cost $1500 suggests that it will be crippled... after all, Apple isn't going to offer a "pro" level notebook for less than $2000. Come on Apple, give me a good reason to replace my trusty old iBook 14!

PS: 3G iPhone will rock!
post #118 of 141
11"? Wow, okay, I guess im not a sub-notebook kind of guy. I dont understand why people want such a small screen to do stuffs. Surfing the web means more scrolling, you get a small screen to watch DVD's and you are spending quite a lot for a notebook that can only do office documents, oh yeah and dont let me start on gaming.
Sorry if I offended anyone with this post. Im just stating my opinion.
post #119 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacGregor View Post

We should stop trying to impress each other with our pseudo-knowledge of motherboard design and battery life expectancies as if we know, and start thinking about a new product line between full featured laptops and thin clients. It is time to redefine the subnotebook form factor just like Apple did with mp3 players and cellphones.

There are some innovations regarding the touchpad. Hint: look at a patent filed 8/9/2007. That is all for now.
post #120 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by zanshin View Post

I think the poster craves a MBP in a 13" or smaller package for casual use 'N digital life applications, and won't invest savings until a desirable BTO configuration is achieved at a suitable price point.

If that's true mind fast hasn't been reading this thread at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleinsider vBulletin Message

You have been banned for the following reason:
Three personal attacks in one post. Congratulations.
Date the ban will be lifted:...
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleinsider vBulletin Message

You have been banned for the following reason:
Three personal attacks in one post. Congratulations.
Date the ban will be lifted:...
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple sub-notebook to retail for $1500, 3G iPhone by June - report