or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › Apple Software › HD Format for Windows and OSX (not FAT)

HD Format for Windows and OSX (not FAT)

post #1 of 9
Is there any format that will work with both Windows and OSX? I want to use it for a 320GB external drive. As far as I know, FAT will not support larger than 32GB. Any suggestions?
post #2 of 9
I've got a 160 GB hard drive formatted with FAT right now, and in fact, most external hard drives come either unpartitioned, or partitioned with FAT.
Apple Product Professional
Apple Certified Macintosh Technician
post #3 of 9
The 32 GB limit is a MS "feature" for formatting in XP/Vista. In Win 2000 and ME you can format any HD in FAT32

Ref: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File_Allocation_Table

My 320 MB drive is OK in FAT32, as long as you stay away from files of 4 GB and larger.
post #4 of 9
Isn't there software that you can install on XP to access mac formatted drives?
post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by penguincentral View Post

Isn't there software that you can install on XP to access mac formatted drives?

I doubt it. As far as I know, it needs to be built into the core of the OS. It's for that same reason that Mac OS X can read NTFS drives, but not write to them.
post #6 of 9
Actually, there is. Try MacDrive.
post #7 of 9
I stand corrected.
post #8 of 9
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ext2

Try the ext2 file system if you don't like FAT. There are drivers for both OS-X and Windows and ext2 works with Linux as well.

disclaimer: I haven't done this, but it is doable. You might want to check the OS X drivers first.
Most of us employ the Internet not to seek the best information, but rather to select information that confirms our prejudices. - Nicholas D. Kristof
Most of us employ the Internet not to seek the best information, but rather to select information that confirms our prejudices. - Nicholas D. Kristof
post #9 of 9
There are free alternatives for both sides of access to either Windows and Mac OS X.

For accessing an HFS+ formatted volume under Windows you could use HFS Explorer.
It's a standalone progamme that works with Java. With it you can browse your HFS+ formatted volumes.
MacDrive is of course simpler, because you can just open the Explorer and there is your HFS+ volume, shown like all the other volumes.

For writing to an NTFS formatted volume under Mac OS x you can use MacFuse and the NTFS 3G Read/Write driver. It works like a charm for me.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Apple Software
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › Apple Software › HD Format for Windows and OSX (not FAT)