or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Briefly: More sightings of mysterious metallic grey MacBooks
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Briefly: More sightings of mysterious metallic grey MacBooks - Page 2

post #41 of 117
Wow! Apple certainly have balls. I was given a sneak preview the other day of the new Ultra Portable.
Apparently they are targeting the female/homosexual market...


post #42 of 117
New Macbook is a bit thicker than people have been suggesting

post #43 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Though noticeably thinner but otherwise similar in size to the company's 13-inch MacBooks, the notebook appeared to have a metallic sheen to it, which set it apart from the current black MacBook.

[...]

Still, there has been no definitive evidence to link these sightings the company's sub-notebook project, which has been detailed (1, 2, 3) by well-respected sources over the past year and is due to culminate early next month with an introduction at the Macworld Expo in San Francisco.

[...] Apple is also likely working on more slender consumer MacBooks, which could at times be confused with the upcoming sub-notebook.

I see AppleInsider is preparing folks for what some of us made clear in the past: a 13" laptop does not equal an "ultra-portable".

Now it's a "sub-notebook".

In January, it will be a "slightly thinner ... MacBook".
post #44 of 117
Why doesn't my macbook float?

I feel gypped....
post #45 of 117
and the iSlipper
post #46 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmjoe View Post

I see AppleInsider is preparing folks for what some of us made clear in the past: a 13" laptop does not equal an "ultra-portable".

I see AppleInsider suggesting that there's the distinct possibility that there are two distinct and separate products in development.

From what I am gathering, one is an ultra thin 12-inch notebook; the other a re-designed replacement for the present 13.3-inch MacBook, clad in a metallic form factor, most likely aluminum.
You think Im an arrogant [expletive] who thinks hes above the law, and I think youre a slime bucket who gets most of his facts wrong. Steve Jobs
Reply
You think Im an arrogant [expletive] who thinks hes above the law, and I think youre a slime bucket who gets most of his facts wrong. Steve Jobs
Reply
post #47 of 117
Insider source reveals Apple's return to their former design. If it works for fashion, why can't it work for technology too?

Don't you all miss the trackball? And manual screen controls?



Wow!

This design a la the PowerBook 100. Enjoy!
post #48 of 117
I have one of those, as well as a PowerBook 140 and a 145. They don't have a good battery between them, and the 145 has a wonky inverter, but they still run fine.
Apple Product Professional
Apple Certified Macintosh Technician
Reply
Apple Product Professional
Apple Certified Macintosh Technician
Reply
post #49 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by merdhead View Post

That's almost guaranteed. After 5 years the MBPs need new styling and a new keyboard. They'll probably all be a bit thinner. I think the new thin machine will be a MBP, I can't see why they wouldn't charge a premium for it, $1500 seems a bit cheap.

If its 1500, then that would have to be for like a 32 ssd. Actually, I'd guess it was for one with an HDD but it is unclear if the super thin design would fit that (ssd are lighter, but often come in the same size shell as the HDD drive, but as another poster mentioned, they may opt to install the ssd flashes right on the motherboard as they are looking for a very tiny case and super thinness).
post #50 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celco View Post

Prove it. You are defining touch by apps based on previous UI constraints not multi touch methodology. Apps will become more visual, think Bento, Delicious Library. Even spread sheet apps could benefit. Btw graphic arts is one of Apple largest sectors. The mouse is NOT accurate. Spend some time with a Wacom Cintiq and you may see how the mouse is flawed. Btw apple makes the worst mouse out there. The mighty mouse scroll pea is a joke.

How are these applications more visual? You mean they're prettier? How does any of it help with touch? Not only is my index finger large, it's covering the thing that I'm trying to point at. Ditto for pens. I just can't see it. If you have some sort of theory (which doesn't involve Apple being the almighty) I'd love to hear it. Also multi-touch isn't a methodology. It's a useful technique for getting a little bit more from a touch screen, not a breakthrough in computer science.
post #51 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zweben View Post

An all aluminum lineup though? I think that might start to seem a little dull. Although if they threw in black anodized aluminum, that might help.

It could be even more subtle:

A white Apple logo on the aluminum Macbook and a sexy black Apple logo on the aluminum Macbook pro.
post #52 of 117
I wonder if the look is going to be similar to the iMac in regards of the choice of materials. Morevoer I also wonder if they are going to keep the backlit Apple Logo on the back of the computer (one of the best marketing inventions in computer history if you ask me).

If the MacBook (not PRO) is going to somewhat borrow the iMac looks, which it should (just like the white plastic theme previously) I wonder how the PRO line is going to be shaped. Apple has to combine, in my opinion, the minimalistic and classy look with one that stands out in the crowd, as many users are grown used to it/love it.

A black Mac, plain and simple as seen in some photoshopped images, would not stand out or be innovative enough for Apple. It would get too "normal" and even "boring".
I love my MacBook white, and like the design of the iMac (alluminium) my girlfriend has. On the notebook however, one is much more "tied" with regards of design. So the choice of materials, the small little details, are the ones that make a difference.

That said, I am also looking forward to see what the PRO line design is going to look like. Creating an "alluminium iMac" like design for the MacBook PRO line would not make sense at all.

All in all I am really looking forward to my second MacWorld as a Mac owner. It is an exciting moment (not for my bank, if you ask them).

Personally I still hope that the AppleTV gets a hefty software revision and content is available in more and more countries.

This time around, I'll make sure I don't buy into any "hobbies" from Cupertino, but only in real products (btw. AppleTV does a lot of stuff I like, in a way I like, I just concentrated on the biggest shortcoming).
post #53 of 117
Quote:
Wow! Apple certainly have balls. I was given a sneak preview the other day of the new Ultra Portable.
Apparently they are targeting the female/homosexual market...

Yes like that one but with spider silk as previously mentioned. Sony used woven clotted Gnat's milk for a carry case on their latest sub-note offering. Hope Apple are sourcing similar earthy-but-fashionable materials.

Powderdust
post #54 of 117
Ultra-portable or no ultra portable... the MBPs are definitely getting an overhaul... and the MB may end up with some improvements as a ripple-effect... for example, obvious upgrades like - better graphics capability... more colours including metal casing... superdrive replaces combo-drive in the base model MB.... thats about it for now I think....

... that is exactly why I have put off my MB purchase till after Steve's Keynote... I can feel something cooking in Cupertino.... I can smell it... and it smells delicious... smack!
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Switching from Windows right after Steve's keynote at the MWSF 'Jan 08
Reply
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Switching from Windows right after Steve's keynote at the MWSF 'Jan 08
Reply
post #55 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by macrazy View Post

... superdrive replaces combo-drive in the base model MB....

This is probably the most important of all. Superdrive + same price for the base model.
post #56 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celco View Post

Prove it. You are defining touch by apps based on previous UI constraints not multi touch methodology. Apps will become more visual, think Bento, Delicious Library. Even spread sheet apps could benefit. Btw graphic arts is one of Apple largest sectors. The mouse is NOT accurate. Spend some time with a Wacom Cintiq and you may see how the mouse is flawed. Btw apple makes the worst mouse out there. The mighty mouse scroll pea is a joke.

Agree 100% on Apple mice, the first thing I do with a new Apple is ditch the mouse. I was speaking of mice in general.

The problem with Touch is, it's fine for brief use, ultra-portable, dialing a number, perhaps manipulating in Illustrator (though personally I'd go with a Wacom) and so on. For long term, consistent use as a mouse replacement like you're saying, it's just not ergonomic. Holding a Touch based iTablet® in your lap constantly will lead to neck strain, and placing it on your desk while still positioning it for touch ability leaves the screen position lacking. You mention spread sheet apps, most of the time I spend using Excel or Access (come out with a Mac version already!) is done with typing, which is possible with an iPhone style touch keyboard, but not as quick or efficient as an actual keyboard.

It will also be pretty tough to put a 24" iMac touch in your lap if you want to. (I'm just saying...)
You need skeptics, especially when the science gets very big and monolithic. -James Lovelock
The Story of Stuff
Reply
You need skeptics, especially when the science gets very big and monolithic. -James Lovelock
The Story of Stuff
Reply
post #57 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by elt_rbd View Post

True, but i haven't seen a sense of playfulness in here....

I am sure it's in the eyes of the beholder.

FWIW, here is how I read the responses to your post: (1) Apple never stays still for very long, so it is fairly certain that, within a few months of your purchase, you will see the same product with more features (offered at the same price at which you bought); (2) If you are worried about something like that, you'll probably never buy Apple, ever; (3) Assuming you need it now, buy what is now available, enjoy it, and move on -- you'll probably want to upgrade in a few years, when the same cycle of angst and self-doubt will start all over again.

Hope that helps.
post #58 of 117
Do those MacBooks require users to enter an iTunes account and credit card number before they can use it at all?
post #59 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by iPoster View Post

Agree 100% on Apple mice, the first thing I do with a new Apple is ditch the mouse. I was speaking of mice in general.

The problem with Touch is, it's fine for brief use, ultra-portable, dialing a number, perhaps manipulating in Illustrator (though personally I'd go with a Wacom) and so on. For long term, consistent use as a mouse replacement like you're saying, it's just not ergonomic. Holding a Touch based iTablet® in your lap constantly will lead to neck strain, and placing it on your desk while still positioning it for touch ability leaves the screen position lacking.

If they are thinking like I am, this touch computer isn't designed to be your only computer. If you buy an Apple TV or an iPhone, you have to have a computer to sync them too, this would be similar. Although it would be a fully fledged Mac it would only be designed for like work, email and web browsing / communication. Also, it would be great for use on the couch, great as an Apple TV (when they make a good one) remote. Great for watching movies, etc. etc. When you get back to your desk and dock it, it asks you if you want to sync back up your document edits you have made. It would be designed for a person who doesn't leave the desk too often and wants to be able to get work done anywhere, which is a lot of people in my opinion.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #60 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

If they are thinking like I am, this touch computer isn't designed to be your only computer. If you buy an Apple TV or an iPhone, you have to have a computer to sync them too, this would be similar. Although it would be a fully fledged Mac it would only be designed for like work, email and web browsing / communication. Also, it would be great for use on the couch, great as an Apple TV (when they make a good one) remote. Great for watching movies, etc. etc. When you get back to your desk and dock it, it asks you if you want to sync back up your document edits you have made. It would be designed for a person who doesn't leave the desk too often and wants to be able to get work done anywhere, which is a lot of people in my opinion.

As a second computer yes, but not as a primary/only PC. That's what I thought you were getting at with your previous post.

It would be nice to be able to afford a second Apple computer! \
You need skeptics, especially when the science gets very big and monolithic. -James Lovelock
The Story of Stuff
Reply
You need skeptics, especially when the science gets very big and monolithic. -James Lovelock
The Story of Stuff
Reply
post #61 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by iPoster View Post

Agree 100% on Apple mice, the first thing I do with a new Apple is ditch the mouse. I was speaking of mice in general.

The problem with Touch is, it's fine for brief use, ultra-portable, dialing a number, perhaps manipulating in Illustrator (though personally I'd go with a Wacom) and so on. For long term, consistent use as a mouse replacement like you're saying, it's just not ergonomic. Holding a Touch based iTablet® in your lap constantly will lead to neck strain, and placing it on your desk while still positioning it for touch ability leaves the screen position lacking. You mention spread sheet apps, most of the time I spend using Excel or Access (come out with a Mac version already!) is done with typing, which is possible with an iPhone style touch keyboard, but not as quick or efficient as an actual keyboard.

It will also be pretty tough to put a 24" iMac touch in your lap if you want to. (I'm just saying...)

What you are missing is that if you add a bluetooth keyboard and mouse to a tablet that is mounted on a arm (like a smaller iMac)...
post #62 of 117
Why does multi-touch have to replace the keyboard and mouse? Sure, for specialized hardware like a phone or iPod it makes sense, but for a computer? It would likely be a supplemental input that allows for new types of interaction. Even if Apple releases a full-size tablet, you'd still be able to use a keyboard or mouse with it over USB or Bluetooth.

Just think: When the mouse came out, it didn't completely replace the keyboard. For many things, sure, it was better suited and it became the standard way of interacting. But for some things, like text entry, the keyboard was still the best option, which is why it's still around. Adding multi-touch to a computer doesn't necessarily mean that hardware keyboards and mice have to go away.
post #63 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorD View Post

Why does multi-touch have to replace the keyboard and mouse? Sure, for specialized hardware like a phone or iPod it makes sense, but for a computer? It would likely be a supplemental input that allows for new types of interaction. Even if Apple releases a full-size tablet, you'd still be able to use a keyboard or mouse with it over USB or Bluetooth.

We know that.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #64 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by merdhead View Post

This makes sense. Doing a (very) thin laptop in plastic is not very practical, it's just not rigid enough. Aluminium is stronger and dissipates heat better, a serious problem in this size.

Both the MacBook and MacBook Pro get their rigidity from a Magnesium skeleton. The outer casing has very little to do with the rigidity of the structure. The aluminium casing on the Pro models is so thin as to have very little structural qualities and suffers from poor impact resistance. Just the material alone is no indication of the ridigity of the finished product.

Perhaps they should go back to titanium or on to carbon fibre. I'm not sure what the latter would do for their green credentials though.
post #65 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

We know that.

The way some people on these boards talk, though, they obviously don't. There are always people saying that it will "never work" on a computer because it can't replace the mouse and keyboard. My comment was directed at them, not at those who already get it.
post #66 of 117
The multi-touch(MT) keyboard is mainly a success and allows Apple to proceed further. A keyboard as proper keys is not suitable for most 'mobile' usage since they can only be used from a stationary position, the iPhone has shown that MT makes much more sense.

People have been supposing it will be a Macbook Pro because of the CPU but as we have seen the Macbook is now closer to the Macbook Pro than to last seasons Macbook.

Apple seldom do things by halves and I think they could remove the keyboard as well as CD and HD. I think being thin will actually help the cooling since there is no HD spinning and no keyboard to insulate. The entire shell can become the heat sink. The use of LED screens further reduces the heat.

With the original Mac the UI was always to allow the user to access the contents. The iPod is the same, content access is king. I believe that is why Apple went to phones and Apple now see that the thing hindering the usefulness of a mobile Mac is the weight and the method of content access.
post #67 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by aegisdesign View Post

Both the MacBook and MacBook Pro get their rigidity from a Magnesium skeleton. The outer casing has very little to do with the rigidity of the structure. The aluminium casing on the Pro models is so thin as to have very little structural qualities and suffers from poor impact resistance. Just the material alone is no indication of the ridigity of the finished product.

Perhaps they should go back to titanium or on to carbon fibre. I'm not sure what the latter would do for their green credentials though.

The casing still has to be rigid, independent of the frame. The case still carries a lot of stress because its the interface between the frame and the user's hands (I know, because mine is cracked in several places). If you look at the MacBook it has quite thick plastic (see the back near the vent). If the machine was a lot lighter you could thin that down a bit, but if you're going for the thinnest possible, plastic just isn't going to cut it.

Titanium is very good, and works work well, but it's expensive. Carbon fibre even better and more expensive.
post #68 of 117
Someone posted this on the macrumors forum. This is taken from the magazine "Complex." Note the color of the Macbook - definitely looks aluminum.



discuss
post #69 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by valanchan View Post

The multi-touch(MT) keyboard is mainly a success and allows Apple to proceed further. A keyboard as proper keys is not suitable for most 'mobile' usage since they can only be used from a stationary position, the iPhone has shown that MT makes much more sense.

People have been supposing it will be a Macbook Pro because of the CPU but as we have seen the Macbook is now closer to the Macbook Pro than to last seasons Macbook.

Apple seldom do things by halves and I think they could remove the keyboard as well as CD and HD. I think being thin will actually help the cooling since there is no HD spinning and no keyboard to insulate. The entire shell can become the heat sink. The use of LED screens further reduces the heat.

With the original Mac the UI was always to allow the user to access the contents. The iPod is the same, content access is king. I believe that is why Apple went to phones and Apple now see that the thing hindering the usefulness of a mobile Mac is the weight and the method of content access.


The hottest thing in a laptop is the CPU. A thin design makes it harder to cool because you have to have a smaller fan. The chance of Apple releasing a laptop without a keyboard is zero. You want to put things into a computer, not just get them out. A keyboard is the fastest way to do that and will be for a long time.
post #70 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorD View Post

The way some people on these boards talk, though, they obviously don't. There are always people saying that it will "never work" on a computer because it can't replace the mouse and keyboard. My comment was directed at them, not at those who already get it.

Oh thanks! I think
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #71 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAM8086 View Post

Someone posted this on the macrumors forum. This is taken from the magazine "Complex." Note the color of the Macbook - definitely looks aluminum.



discuss

All it means is there's lazy people working for that magazine, not that the new MacBook wont be aluminum. I think it will, as I have been hoping for a while, with its existing white keyboard though.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #72 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAM8086 View Post

Someone posted this on the macrumors forum. This is taken from the magazine "Complex." Note the color of the Macbook - definitely looks aluminum.


discuss

That Macbook is pretty clearly the current black plastic model. The Macbook Pro is aluminum, of course.
post #73 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAM8086 View Post

Someone posted this on the macrumors forum. This is taken from the magazine "Complex." Note the color of the Macbook - definitely looks aluminum.

discuss

There's not much to discuss. That's a MacBook Pro and Black MacBook.

How would a printed magazine get their hands on a new model before Apple had even announed it?
post #74 of 117
Well, it didn't look like it was the same color as the background, which is obviously black, which made me think it was more grayish/aluminumish. Sorry.
post #75 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by merdhead View Post

The chance of Apple releasing a laptop without a keyboard is zero. You want to put things into a computer, not just get them out. A keyboard is the fastest way to do that and will be for a long time.

I think the chance is pretty high, a touch screen keyboard wont be as disturbing as people seem to make out. Most people would become accustomed to it pretty quick. I personally look forward to it.
Maybe if apple used the subtle audible rattle of keys to aid transition.
And a last mechanical keyboard that was 'super super thin' with very small 'action' would help ease the old timers onboard also.
post #76 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

I think the chance is pretty high, a touch screen keyboard wont be as disturbing as people seem to make out. Most people would become accustomed to it pretty quick. I personally look forward to it.
Maybe if apple used the subtle audible rattle of keys to aid transition.
And a last mechanical keyboard that was 'super super thin' with very small 'action' would help ease the old timers onboard also.

If we're talking about a laptop, if you have no keyboard you have no trackpad.I can edit with pixel accuracy with a mouse. With my finger I can't see anything under the 50 square pixels its covering. Having an decent sized on-screen keyboard would seriously reduce the screen space and still would not be as accurate as a mechanical keyboard.

Now Apple makes touchscreen tablet devices with a virtual keyboard running OS X and it can make bigger versions of that with more functionality. But the technology is not going to scale to what we now use as a Mac. It would not be practical. It's a stupid idea, no matter how old you are.
post #77 of 117
It's also funny that they can give the Mabook a better 'value' rating when compared to the XPS, which is a very similar price )if not a little cheaper), but has better hardware specs in every department as standard (except maybe cpu speed)...
post #78 of 117
Quote:
The hottest thing in a laptop is the CPU. A thin design makes it harder to cool because you have to have a smaller fan.

No doubt there will be a fan but it doesn't need to be as large since the environment inside the case is less hostile.

Quote:
The chance of Apple releasing a laptop without a keyboard is zero. You want to put things into a computer, not just get them out. A keyboard is the fastest way to do that and will be for a long time.

similar things were said about the iPhone. I was not discussing which one is faster, I was talking about which is the more convenient. Most people here know that for lengthy data input a keyboard and mouse could easily be used and would mostly be preferable. Some of the recent patent by Apple suggest such a possibility (not definate, but a possibility).
post #79 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by merdhead View Post

If we're talking about a laptop, if you have no keyboard you have no trackpad.I can edit with pixel accuracy with a mouse. With my finger I can't see anything under the 50 square pixels its covering. Having an decent sized on-screen keyboard would seriously reduce the screen space and still would not be as accurate as a mechanical keyboard.

Now Apple makes touchscreen tablet devices with a virtual keyboard running OS X and it can make bigger versions of that with more functionality. But the technology is not going to scale to what we now use as a Mac. It would not be practical. It's a stupid idea, no matter how old you are.

sorry i didn't explain myself properly, I'm talking hypothetically about two screens.

your normal one
and your touch screen 'keyboard'
so screen space and accuracy would be as normal
post #80 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post

It's also funny that they can give the Mabook a better 'value' rating when compared to the XPS, which is a very similar price )if not a little cheaper), but has better hardware specs in every department as standard (except maybe cpu speed)...

Actually, to match the $1299 Macbook's specs, the XPS costs $1399. I just worked it out. =)

This is with a 2.2ghz C2D, 1GB of RAM, 802.11N, Bluetooth, and Vista Ultimate (since there are no 'stripped' versions of Leopard). We're not even talking about the huge difference in the quality of included software.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Briefly: More sightings of mysterious metallic grey MacBooks