or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › First builds of Apple's Mac OS X 10.5.2 Leopard Update due shortly

First builds of Apple's Mac OS X 10.5.2 Leopard Update due shortly

post #1 of 27
Continuing to refine its recently-released Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard operating system at a rapid pace, Mac maker Apple Inc. will soon begin testing the first pre-release builds of Mac OS X 10.5.2 Update, AppleInsider has learned.

People familiar with the matter say developers could receive an initial test build as early as this week. Mac OS X 10.5.2 will serve as the second maintenance and security update to Leopard since the software went on sale in late October.

Thus far, details of what to expect from the 10.5.2 update are unknown, though rumors published last month by MacBidouille suggested the software was being positioned for a release alongside new hardware at next month's Macworld Expo.

The Mac news and rumor publication cited sources who said the update would be instrumental to the launch of Apple's new Penryn-based 45-nanometer Mac Pro workstations -- the same systems which AppleInsider said earlier this year would clock up to the 3.2GHz via two quad-core Intel "Harpertown" Xeon chips.

MacBidouille said Apple is reworking some of Leopard's codebase via Mac OS X 10.5.2 to optimize it for the SSE4 instructions found within the new Penryn chips and the Penryn architecture as a whole, both of which promise speed gains above and beyond clock speed boosts.

The current version of Leopard is Mac OS X 10.5.1, which was released a little over a month ago. Since then, Apple has begun updating all retail copies of Leopard to include the enhancements and bug fixes delivered by that release.
post #2 of 27
Resolution Independence maybe?
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
post #3 of 27
Turn on your combatible coffee machine via Bluetooth in 10.5.2 ?
post #4 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moukkis View Post

not to sound like an ignorant fool (which I will anyway) but there are such things as bluetooth coffee makers?
post #5 of 27
Come on new Mac Pros!!!! I've been waiting so long for you... and now I actually can afford one!!! Don't leave me hanging!
Always remember that you are absolutely unique, just like everyone else.
-Margaret Mead

When I'm working on a problem, I never think about beauty. I think only how to solve the problem. But when I...
Always remember that you are absolutely unique, just like everyone else.
-Margaret Mead

When I'm working on a problem, I never think about beauty. I think only how to solve the problem. But when I...
post #6 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moukkis View Post

Will that be via an iCal Event

So what you're saying is that Apple will move to support JAVA in a whole new way?

I hope to score a new 24" iMac to replace my 20" G5 although i like my G5 better then my Intel at work, both running Leopard. (G5 with 2GB vs. 1GB Intel) RAM is KING!
[CENTER]Diana Rein
Putting the Soul back into Rock 'n Roll
[/CENTER]

[CENTER]"The Back Room"

Diana Rein Available on iTunes for $8[/CENTER]
[CENTER]Diana Rein
Putting the Soul back into Rock 'n Roll
[/CENTER]

[CENTER]"The Back Room"

Diana Rein Available on iTunes for $8[/CENTER]
post #7 of 27
Is Clang and LLVM suppose to save most of these optimazation procedures?

There are only two kind of people in this world.

Those who dont understand Apple and those who misunderstood Apple.

There are only two kind of people in this world.

Those who dont understand Apple and those who misunderstood Apple.

post #8 of 27
3.2 ghz by summer!!

or something.

post #9 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by josa92 View Post

not to sound like an ignorant fool (which I will anyway) but there are such things as bluetooth coffee makers?

And are they "combatible" (and not "compatible")
post #10 of 27
Anyone know if we'll be able to drop a Penryn chip into the new iMacs?
post #11 of 27
Actually, a Bluetooth coffee maker that could interface with iCal would be awesome. Imagine being able to set it for different times on different days.

I would love to see more appliances have Bluetooth functionality.
post #12 of 27
I'd love to see things actually work correctly like, oh, remembering my Airport network settings or Safari not crashing when connecting to an ISA proxy server.
post #13 of 27
Non-news news.
post #14 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

Does your iMac have a ZIF Socket? Or is it soldered on the board? What you find out will answer your question.
post #15 of 27
Quote:

Provided you drill a large enough hole? Sure!
post #16 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by TednDi View Post

3.2 ghz by summer!! or something.

January 15 SteveNote.
Quote:

More power by selling your iMac and buying the Montevina iMac Summer '08.

Six x 3.5GHz '14 MP, 64GB, 1TB PCIe, 16TB HDs
2.6GHz 6GB 17"HD LED MBP, Sony 52XBR6 HDTV
EyeTV 500, Hybrid 2G, EyeTV 3 HDTV Recorder
64 ATT iPhone 5S, 128 ATT iPad Air, 128 ATT iPad miniRetina, 16...

Six x 3.5GHz '14 MP, 64GB, 1TB PCIe, 16TB HDs
2.6GHz 6GB 17"HD LED MBP, Sony 52XBR6 HDTV
EyeTV 500, Hybrid 2G, EyeTV 3 HDTV Recorder
64 ATT iPhone 5S, 128 ATT iPad Air, 128 ATT iPad miniRetina, 16...

post #17 of 27
List view is back in 10.5.2, gentlemen !

http://macenstein.com/default/archives/983
post #18 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by theGAR View Post

List view is back in 10.5.2, gentlemen !

Excellent!
post #19 of 27
It would be nice to see a list of what is going to be fixed with 10.5.2 update.
post #20 of 27
All i want is for my printer (Lexmark x7550) to work with leopard on the 2.4ghz imac 2g ram (aluminium) It won't work wireless but works wireless on my pc
post #21 of 27
I know a lot of this has to do with it being the holiday season, but I'm surprised by the lack of information present regarding the updates included in 10.5.2. Hopefully as we get into January we'll start to see everyone pitching in some more information regarding the release. I've heard some mention that it'll be considerably substantial and will be something that everyone ought to look forward to, yet Ive heard others suggest that its not going to have anything interesting in it, just bug fixes.

I guess well all find out more on the 15th.
Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat
Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat
post #22 of 27
I for one personally cannot see this being released at MWSF as there has been very limited anything about it. Being in the way of seeds and any form of info what the update will actually have fixed when released.

Stacks seems to be the only important thing to some people as it is the only real thing to have emerged to have been fixed.
post #23 of 27
Quote:
I for one personally cannot see this being released at MWSF as there has been very limited anything about it. Being in the way of seeds and any form of info what the update will actually have fixed when released.

i agree. even though i dont know much about apple i dont think they will have time to release an update by then... but i dont know anything :-)
When you turn your car on does it return the favor?
When you turn your car on does it return the favor?
post #24 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by pieran View Post

All i want is for my printer (Lexmark x7550) to work with leopard on the 2.4ghz imac 2g ram (aluminium) It won't work wireless but works wireless on my pc

Uhm.... Complain to Lexmark, it's their responsibility to make it work with osX!
post #25 of 27
The reason I was wondering about the release is that I'm wondering if we'll have any software surprises. We all remember when they released iCal after the initial release. The point here is that I'm curious if we'll be seeing any additional functionality that didn't make its way into the initial GM. I know it's a long shot, but there's always a chance that the 10.5.2 release may see more than just bug fixes.

At least that's what I'm hoping...
Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat
Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat
post #26 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by baranovich View Post

Come on new Mac Pros!!!! I've been waiting so long for you... and now I actually can afford one!!! Don't leave me hanging!

I want the one with the espresso maker!
"Run faster. History is a constant race between invention and catastrophe. Education helps but it is never enough. You must also run." Leto Atreides II
"Run faster. History is a constant race between invention and catastrophe. Education helps but it is never enough. You must also run." Leto Atreides II
post #27 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by baranovich View Post

I've got the 8-Core Mac Pro with 13GB RAM, and 1.5TB of storage hooked to a 30" Apple Cinema Display pushed by the 512MB NVIDIA Quadro FX 4500. It's more machine than I know what to do with, but I enjoy every minute of it. I have yet to max it out, even with HD Video rendering. I know the new CPU's will be the 45nm ones, and perhaps you'll load yours down with work I can't think to come up with, but I can't see why the current 8-Core one won't rock your world.

Best wishes to you getting the new Mac Pro when it comes out. The one thing I'm wishing for is an Apple Blu-Ray burner to drop into the second drive bay I've left empty just for it.
Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat
Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › First builds of Apple's Mac OS X 10.5.2 Leopard Update due shortly